Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA757MIA
Topic Author

Will DXB Have Capacity Issues In A Few Years?

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 pm

I came across a few DXB/Emirates threads and after doing some research about the airport, I wonder if it will get extremely congested in a few years.

Mostly due to the different arrival/departure banks and the fact that it only has two runways. And from what I can see, no space to build a third one, unless, they demolish/move a lot of buildings & roads.

Opinions?

AeroWesty

RE: Will DXB Have Capacity Issues In A Few Years?

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:08 am

International Homo of Mystery

tortugamon

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:10 am

They are moving to the Dubai World Center (DWC) in the 2020's sometime. Until then Cargo is heading over there and some LCCs will be based there which will alleviate some capacity issues.

tortugamon

AA757MIA
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:24 am

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification; I didn't know anything about the new airport.
It's incredible how big it's going to be!

Any ideas of what would happen to DXB? Demolish and develop the area?

tortugamon

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:58 am

Quoting AA757MIA (Reply 3):
It's incredible how big it's going to be!

Yes, 5 runways at 5,400m each and three terminals capable of handling 160 Million passengers or 77% more than the current busiest airport in the world all over a space 10 times bigger than the current DXB; it should be pretty big.  

tortugamon

B777LRF

Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:15 pm

DXB is already severely congested; try arriving at around midnight and you can be assured of being slowed down way out over the Gulf, then sent for a couple laps around the DESDI hold and finally vectored around the peninsula for a very long final. Once you're on the ground comes the issue of finding a place to park the kite, not unusual having to wait for quite a while until a stand is vacated. My personal record, from entering DESDI to deplaning, is 1.5 hours.

It will get worse, much worse, before it gets better with the full opening of DWC.
Signature. You just read one.

lightsaber

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:10 pm

DXB will be *very* congested next year when one of the runways is taken down for needed maintenance.  DXB Runway Closure And Resurfacing May 2014 (by EK413 May 16 2013 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 5):
DXB is already severely congested;

Yep (at least from what I've read, I've yet to hub there). They're trying to work the ATC issues and during the runway closure they will fix taxiways that should allow the opening of more stands.

If Dubai had the funds to build DWC, they would. But Dubai is pretty broke, so we'll talk a mid-2020s opening. So for a decade, EK's growth won't be what it was.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):

That's what Al Maktoum Int'l will be for:

I'm going to be very curious if FlyDubai moves over there during the runway closure... and if Flydubai moves back!

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 2):

They are moving to the Dubai World Center (DWC) in the 2020's sometime. Until then Cargo is heading over there and some LCCs will be based there which will alleviate some capacity issues.

Plus charters. But will that be enough? Dubai is not a large enough city to sustain two airports.

Lightsaber
4 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

hhslax2

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 6):
and if Flydubai moves back!

Based only on the improvements put into the LCC terminal that have happened between my trip through it in March and what I saw 2 days ago on my way out of terminal 2, I think they will move back. I have no sources, but I wouldn't be expanding and improving the terminal in the manner being done if I was going to be moving out permanently in under a year.

tortugamon

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 6):
But will that be enough? Dubai is not a large enough city to sustain two airports.

At 2.1 Million people it has more than 3 times as many as the MIA/FLL/PBI and IAD/DCA and 10 times the population of Orlando (MCO, SFB)...etc. But I understand your point and I do no think they will both airports open for long.

tortugamon

boysteve

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:58 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 5):
DXB is already severely congested; try arriving at around midnight and you can be assured of being slowed down way out over the Gulf, then sent for a couple laps around the DESDI hold and finally vectored around the peninsula for a very long final. Once you're on the ground comes the issue of finding a place to park the kite, not unusual having to wait for quite a while until a stand is vacated. My personal record, from entering DESDI to deplaning, is 1.5 hours.

Yes midnight arrivals are a pain, although I have only encountered airspace congestion and not stand congestion. My experience of this has been three times on EK18 from MAN, loved the A388 though!

brilondon

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:53 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
That's what Al Maktoum Int'l will be for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_W...-_Al_Maktoum_International_Airport
Quoting tortugamon (Reply 2):

tortugamon

In answer to your question, yes in a few years there will a capacity issue at DBX but as indicated in the above posts and links that the new airport will be plenty big for this as it is projected to become the biggest airport in the world.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

RyanairGuru

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:59 am

As said above, DXB is already getting there and closing the runway next year could tip things over the edge. The situatio will continue to deteriorate at DXB and this will inflict a lot more harm on EK than the Germans and Canadians deciding to play silly buggers.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos