Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eksath
Crew
Topic Author

US Airways Check-in: "You're At Wrong Airport"

Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:19 pm

How does this happen? When the confirmation clearly says the flight is out of BWI? See screen shot of US Airways email below.

My friend,David, never changed his return trip.
He arrived at BWI and after many unsuccessful tries looking up his return flight at a kiosk, the USAirways BWI agent said "wrong airport. You're supposed to fly out of Reagan."

He is perplexed as am I about how this happens?

[Edited 2013-07-20 23:19:28 by wilco737]
World Wide Aerospace Photography

thegoldenargosy

US Airways Check-in: "You're At Wrong Airport"

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:13 am

Flight 909 is BWI-CLT. Usually there's more to these kinds of stories.

crj900lr

RE: US Airways Check-in: "You're At Wrong Airport"

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:55 am

Sounds like your friend was trying to play the role of a stupid passenger and when he got to BWI he was hoping that the US agent would change his ticket, at no charge i'm sure, and get him on his way out of BWI instead of DCA. Glad the agent told him to go to DCA.

eksath
Crew
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:01 am

Quoting crj900lr (Reply 9):
Sounds like your friend was trying to play the role of a stupid passenger and when he got to BWI he was hoping that the US agent would change his ticket, at no charge i'm sure, and get him on his way out of BWI instead of DCA. Glad the agent told him to go to DCA.

So you are accusing him of lying? what about the checkin email that is posted here unedited? he created that just for this posting then?

crj900lr

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:29 am

Quoting eksath (Reply 10):
So you are accusing him of lying?

No I am accusing him of not checking his reservation after it was changed. When a reservation is changed the passenger is notified of all the changes. I'm sure he was told of the change in CLT by the agent. I've been in the industry to long and seen to much to believe that he didn't know of the changes.

ssteve

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:17 am

Quoting crj900lr (Reply 13):
I'm sure he was told of the change in CLT by the agent.

No guarantee of that. Also terrible that he got a checkin reminder for BWI in that case...

EA CO AS

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:35 am

Let me guess; at one point he was flying out of BWI, then changed it to DCA?

If I had to take a stab at what happened, your friend changed the flght from BWI to DCA. After the itinerary had been changed - but before the e-ticket had been reissued to reflect DCA - the check-in reminder feature activated and scraped the info from the e-ticket, that at that moment still showed BWI.

I've seen it happen before, although not often, and usually the confused customer makes a point of calling reservations to double-check.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

brilondon

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:32 am

This is US. They suck at customer service and they keep proving that they are not interested in helping anybody. US is most likely at fault here and I don't think that the passenger was told about the change of airports. Why would an airline change flight and change the airport they are flying to anyways?
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:10 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 7):

Here we go with people bashing US again. Their customer service is some of the best I've experienced, and their agents are very helpful when you're in a bind.

" Why would an airline change flight and change the airport they are flying to anyways?"

Computer glitch? Seems logical.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

PITingres

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Quoting crj900lr (Reply 4):
When a reservation is changed the passenger is notified of all the changes. I'm sure he was told of the change in CLT by the agent.

What agent? If he didn't check a bag it's entirely likely that he had no interaction with anyone at all, isn't that the whole idea behind the checkin kiosks? I think it would be fairly simple to miss a change notification.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

ABQopsHP

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:48 pm

I'm sure he was told of the change in CLT by the agent.

Not necessarily so. If the customer interacted with an agent, they are not going to be looking at the reservation unless requested by the customer. The check-in process does not require you to look at the reservation.

Quoting PITingres (Reply 10):

When a reservation is changed the passenger is notified of all the changes. I'm sure he was told of the change in CLT by the agent.

What agent? If he didn't check a bag it's entirely likely that he had no interaction with anyone at all, isn't that the whole idea behind the checkin kiosks? I think it would be fairly simple to miss a change notification.

Again, I agree. If they even saw an agent. Now heres my question. Was there a schedule change done by US and this customer was automatically moved to a flight from DCA ? Because the system is designed to search for, first available flight from the DC metro, then a similar departure time. And as another poster mentioned. If he received a notification, could it have likely gone to the spam folder? Thats happened to me.

JD CRP
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

pliersinsight

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 9):
Here we go with people bashing US again. Their customer service is some of the best I've experienced, and their agents are very helpful when you're in a bind.

Except when you come back from the tarmac on the bus at DCA after the CRJ you were supposed to leave on sprung a hydraulic leak and when asked where should we wait the gate agents tell you "I don't know nothing about that". That is one of a dozen or so experiences I have witnessed or personally experienced.

Or their Facebook page, it is hysterical. If somebody posts a complaint on it, they have this pack of cronies that post comments to troll the complainer and make it look like the complainer is wrong. The automatic assumption that the customer is wrong is what irks me about US.

However, their nastiness has caused me to spend more money with them. Whenever I have to fly US, I do so first class, so that I am at least treated as well as economy or premium economy on other airlines. Maybe that was their plan.

Despite all of that, having known more than a few US crew members, I have found their pilots to be incredibly impressive in person and while working. I have never been on a US flight where I felt negative g's, an approach that was anything but rock solid stable, even in some pretty awful weather.

DTWPurserBoy

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:01 pm

Sounds to me like a simple misunderstanding. Unfortunately without paper tickets any longer things like this become more common. It happens a lot in the EWR/LGA/JFK market as well as DCA/IAD.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

Stackhouse007

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 9):

I have also had nothing but great experiences with their customer service. Everyone instantly bashes them for their experience even though many of us have never had an issue.
Nikon D60: 18-55mm - 55-200mm / Canon 50D: 100-400mm

dtw2hyd

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 13):
Unfortunately without paper tickets any longer things like this become more common.

With so many cheap ticket web sites, it has become very common to get all sorts of itineraries with bizarre airport/airline combinations. But this is a strange situation.
All posts are just opinions.

rising

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:35 pm

A friend of mine had something similar happen to her. She was booked out of IAD but thought it was DCA and went to DCA. The agent was very friendly and just changed her ticket for her at no charge. It's actually a neat story in that she posted a big thank you to this employee via the Employee Recognition program on the airline's app and agent actually got a commendation.

People make mistakes. And, when you work in a service business, you have to always assume positive intentions from your customers. Not everyone is trying to rip you off. Will some people try? Sure, but that does not mean you punish everyone because of a few bad apples.

Give them the pickle.
If it doesn't make sense, it's probably not true.

xdlx

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:49 pm

Quoting rising (Reply 16):

Yes on Day of Departure the unsympathetic agent can really make the difference.

If you have been in the industry long enough to "assume" every customer plots to take advantage of the
airline.... move on! Get a life!

eksath
Crew
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:32 pm

Quoting lanalemania (Reply 8):
guess the screenshot has been removed for some reasons? Anyhow, without a full ticket & reservation history, it will be hard to tell who had which information at what time. .

The screenshot was removed as a number of posters last night (correctly edited out by mods once the screenshot was removed ) insisted that posting his email and confirmation number out there would make him susceptible to an invasion of privacy. Now, i point out that he wanted his entire confirmation email posted as evidence that he DID get the email to go to to BWI. When, i have got a chance, i will put up a redacted version of it up as evidence.

(on a side note and not relevant to this discussion is the fact that it appears that one's information on the reservations system is so susceptible to abuse according to the posters. That would be a topic for another thread)

My friends is away from a computer but hopefully, we can get him to respond on the other scenarios people have brought up sometime later today or tomorrow.

Thanks.

ckfred

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:49 pm

I can't comment about US, but I've had reservations with AA changed. Either a flight number changes, a departure/arrival time changes, there is an equipment change, or some combination thereof. Last year, AA decided to discontinue a noon departure out of BOS for ORD. I was automatically put on a departure out of BOS around 2:30. When I called and explained to the agent what happened, (he was able to see the change in my file), he changed my reservation to the 10:15 departure with no change fees or addtional fare.

Further, I've had AA do a time or flight number change, and the seat assignment gets completely changed. I've gone from sitting in the front of a coach cabin to sitting in the back. So, I changed the seat assignment.

Now, it is curious as to why US switched a reservation from a BWI departure to a DCA departure, assuming that US made the change. The only thing I can think of is that with changes in the flight schedule, the BWI departure closest to the original flight that was booked was full, and the computer decided that DCA was close enough to not present an issue. But, US should have either e-mailed or telephone with the change.

Now, if the passenger had his confirmation printed, showing a BWI departure, and showed that to the agent, the agent should have tried to accomodate him while waiving the change fees and fare changes.

usflyer msp

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:47 pm

As I commented before the screenshot was deleted,

looking at the guys record, it looks as though this passenger was originally scheduled for a r/t arriving BWI late at night on the 18th and returning on the last flight on the 19th. Looks as though there were some IRROPS and the passenger was forced to spend the night of the 18th in CLT and rebooked on flight to DCA on the morning of the 19th. When the booking was changed from BWI to DCA the return was also changed from BWI to DCA (most likely at the passengers request since he was now making a day trip and I'm going to guess that DCA was more convenient).

The originally referenced check-in reminder was sent 24 hours before his return flight but since he was going to be in BWI for less than 24 hours, this was before the IRROPS and the changes were made. So, in reality, that check-in reminder doesn't mean anything.

I'm going to speculate that the OP's friend was busy going about his business and simply forgot that his return flight had been changed and headed out to BWI anyway. Now he is trying to pull the blame US Airways card by pulling out the check-in reminder when they actually did him a favor by changing his return from BWI to DCA, IMHO.

davidgwaters

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi folks. I am the passenger in question. I just signed up to Airliners.net for a one-year subscription because I was intrigued by some of the theories here. Ask me all the questions you would like. If I erred, so be it. If the airline erred, so be it. If it was a combination of factors, fine. I just want to know. I fly all the time, don't believe in freebies, and haven't ever experienced getting an email alert for an airport that I'm not supposed to fly out of. I have no issue with all my information being online - I used to be a television reporter, and my contact above had my permission to post the screen shot of the alert I received. I am sure a well meaning person took it down because it had my personal information on it.
-David Waters

eksath
Crew
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:02 pm

David,

Welcome aboard!

I have your email. I asked the mods to take it down given the flak i got last night about it. Do you wish me to put it up?

The posters insisted that other people with access to the reservation system would use the confirmation # on the email to look up your info in the system and use that info for nefarious activity. A lively debate broke out about it (cleaned up from this thread now to get this on track).

Suresh

[Edited 2013-07-21 11:13:42]

wjcandee

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:06 pm

They suck at customer service

I have actually had nothing but nice flights on US.

FI642

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 23):

They suck at customer service

I have actually had nothing but nice flights on US.

Their customer service has greatly improved.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

usxguy

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Um... that's why you block out information when posting it online. Items like PNR, e-ticket #, and of course passenger last name and date of flight.

So the rest of us are just sitting here throwing darts blindly who are posting as to whose fault is what. I honestly think this thread should be closed, because with the picture gone, its just going to turn into another A vs B fight.
xx

kgaiflyer

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 15):
Unfortunately without paper tickets any longer things like this become more common.
With so many cheap ticket web sites, it has become very common to get all sorts of itineraries with bizarre airport/airline combinations. But this is a strange situation.

Even more than that, it's possible to deliberately purchase round-trips that begin at one airport and return to another airport. I can tell you that on some third-party travel sites, CHO, RIC, and MDT are returned in searches for Washington DC airports -- most especially if the words "cheap" or "discount" are used as delimiting terms.

I've fallen into that trap myself and wound up renting a car (always from a FF partner) to get back to the airport where my car was parked.

Sometimes it works for you. For instance, I've been allowed to fly out of SFO for SJC; BUR for LAX, and JFK for LGA in order to escape change fees. Transportation to other airport is on me.

flybyguy

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:04 pm

This is US. They suck at customer service and they keep proving that they are not interested in helping anybody. US is most likely at fault here and I don't think that the passenger was told about the change of airports. Why would an airline change flight and change the airport they are flying to anyways?

Horrible airline, horrible customer service... more often than no,t US employees seem like they wish they were working somewhere else. It's fantastic that they're merging with AA... those airlines deserve each other and will make a great addition to the American cartel of profoundly mediocre airlines. Airlines that build the foundation of their businesses upon the dregs and cheapskates of the traveling public.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

eksath
Crew
Topic Author

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Quoting usxguy (Reply 25):
Um... that's why you block out information when posting it online. Items like PNR, e-ticket #, and of course passenger last name and date of flight.

That is a catch 22. If all that info is redacted then of what use is the email except for the presence of the US Airways logo and the BWI airport and flight time.? I can certainly put that up. I will let David make the call on what to do. It is his email.

Quoting usxguy (Reply 25):
So the rest of us are just sitting here throwing darts blindly who are posting as to whose fault is what. I honestly think this thread should be closed, because with the picture gone, its just going to turn into another A vs B fight.

David is on here. All the info is available or forthcoming. He is ready to answer questions. There should be no need for blind darts from now on. Thanks.

(by the way, this is not a bash US Airways thread either. I have flown US Airways albeit short east coast hops and i have never had trouble with the service. I did have one cancellation on a BOS-MCO through Philadelphia (if i remember correctly) on a critical flight for me to catch a shuttle launch however the mission scrubbed and I got a full refund hence I have no complaints. It was weather related.)

reality

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Quoting davidgwaters (Reply 21):

Hi folks. I am the passenger in question.

OK, so you have more info about all of this than anyone else. What do you think happened? Do any of the suggested scenarios make sense?

nutsaboutplanes

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Quoting flybyguy (Reply 28):
Horrible airline, horrible customer service... more often than no,t US employees seem like they wish they were working somewhere else. It's fantastic that they're merging with AA... those airlines deserve each other and will make a great addition to the American cartel of profoundly mediocre airlines. Airlines that build the foundation of their businesses upon the dregs and cheapskates of the traveling public.

Your assertions fly in the face of fact and a great number of opinions on this site. Because an industry has had to adapt to a changing market environment to remain successful and in business, you condemn them. When you have to book travel, who do you fly? Who meets your "high standards" and what carrier is privileged to have you book travel with them? "Cartel".....come on.

Airline operational performance is better now than at any time in history.....OTP is excellent, completion factor is high, lost bag rates are well under historical lows and airlines are investing in their PREMIUM customers. If you want a first class experience, I suggest you book it and pay for it the next time you fly.

I have traveled for a living. I have had absolutely horrible experiences on many carriers including SQ who is recognized as having some of the best service in the business. I have had more flights cancelled by VS than any other carrier by far and the best experience I have ever had was on DL during an IROPS situation in Jacksonville Florida. While I understand that opinions are based on personal experiences, you have condemned the industry in an entire country for not meeting your "standards".
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

questions

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Quoting davidgwaters (Reply 21):
Hi folks. I am the passenger in question. I just signed up to Airliners.net for a one-year subscription because I was intrigued by some of the theories here. Ask me all the questions you would like. If I erred, so be it. If the airline erred, so be it. If it was a combination of factors, fine. I just want to know. I fly all the time, don't believe in freebies, and haven't ever experienced getting an email alert for an airport that I'm not supposed to fly out of. I have no issue with all my information being online - I used to be a television reporter, and my contact above had my permission to post the screen shot of the alert I received. I am sure a well meaning person took it down because it had my personal information on it.
-David Waters

OK dude, we're waiting for more details.

Cough up or we're going to recommend this thread be deleted as a hoax.

Quoting eksath (Reply 22):
David,

Welcome aboard!

I have your email. I asked the mods to take it down given the flak i got last night about it. Do you wish me to put it up?

The posters insisted that other people with access to the reservation system would use the confirmation # on the email to look up your info in the system and use that info for nefarious activity. A lively debate broke out about it (cleaned up from this thread now to get this on track).

Suresh

Thanks mod for looking after the personal safety of those who don't think to protect themselves.

davidgwaters

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Yes, please repost the screen shot with my information on it. It will help anyone in the know figure out the details, and all of my information is already public. -David Waters

Suresh

davidgwaters

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:27 pm

I think it is great that moderators look out for people's safety. That said, I was a television reporter, and regularly filed stories nationally, so I'm well aware of what information I personally am posting. The screen shot is fine to use because it contains information that is very public already, including my work email address. But I appreciated the abundance of caution, because some people may not be aware that they are posting information that could lead to issues. One concerned person on this board emailed me to make sure I knew my screen shot was posted, and I thanked him for his note, and let him know it was ok.

Quoting questions (Reply 32):
Thanks mod for looking after the personal safety of those who don't think to protect themselves.

jporterfi

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Quoting davidgwaters (Reply 34):

Were you informed at the time of the change (or did you request) that your return flight would leave out of DCA? I suspect that your return flight was changed to DCA, and for some reason, the email for your old BWI flight sent due to a computer error. It appears that this ws all on one reservation since the agent at BWI presumably looked up your reservation that you were trying to check in for at the BWI kiosk and saw that it was out of DCA. I have no explanation for why you didn't get an email telling you to check in for your DCA flight.

I'm not in the business of playing the blame game here. However, for future reference, if you thought that your new return flight was supposed to be out of DCA, I would have called U.S. Airways when you got the BWI email to confirm which one was correct. That said, U.S. Airways did send you the email with the same confirmation number telling you to check in at BWI, so they are partly responsible.
PPC (ASEL) | Aircraft Flown: PA28, C172, DA20

davidgwaters

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:42 pm

During the original issue I faced, when an airline gate agent made a mistake that separated me from my luggage, I had a wonderful experience with another agent at CLT in the USAirways baggage service area. Her name was Marva B. She had me paged over the intercom and called my cell phone to make sure I knew my baggage had arrived. That baggage issue is unrelated to my question. I know why the bag issue happened. There are always human errors made, whether by the customer or workers. It's normal. Figuring out where the mistake happened is important to prevent it, or reduce the chances of it happening again. I fly enough that I want that knowledge of how this can happen. Only someone with access to the system can find out. I will officially ask tomorrow, but turned to the experts here first, after my friend alerted me to the forum.

Quoting Stackhouse007 (Reply 14):
I have also had nothing but great experiences with their customer service. Everyone instantly bashes them for their experience even though many of us have never had an issue.

davidgwaters

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 pm

The agent at FLL who rebooked the start of my trip because of the weather delay never discussed return flights. We only discussed my trip to Washington DC and my check on bags. My only information that I had on my return flight that I had seen was from the original booking showing I fly out of BWI. My next information I received was a USAirways email alert showing BWI, and the same information as when I booked.

Quoting jporterfi (Reply 36):
Were you informed at the time of the change (or did you request) that your return flight would leave out of DCA? I suspect that your return flight was changed to DCA, and for some reason, the email for your old BWI flight sent due to a computer error. It appears that this ws all on one reservation since the agent at BWI presumably looked up your reservation that you were trying to check in for at the BWI kiosk and saw that it was out of DCA. I have no explanation for why you didn't get an email telling you to check in for your DCA flight.

I'm not in the business of playing the blame game here. However, for future reference, if you thought that your new return flight was supposed to be out of DCA, I would have called U.S. Airways when you got the BWI email to confirm which one was correct. That said, U.S. Airways did send you the email with the same confirmation number telling you to check in at BWI, so they are partly responsible.

kgaiflyer

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:52 pm

To shorten the story, unfortunately, US Airways separated my check on television gear from me, and I was unable to do the interview I flew to DC for with my carry on tv gear alone. That is likely more information than you need, so lets now jump ahead to the return trip.
I would very much like to have returned on-time, as planned. I had to rent a car and get a hotel room another night in Washington DC because of this issue.
If anyone has questions, please ask them. Please do not hold back, I have no issues hearing whatever factual information you learn. I would just like to know.
Thanks. -David Waters, Melbourne FL

Ah, so.

You're a reporter.

Is the story you're writing on USAirways or is it on A.net?

I've done newsprint reporting myself, and in spite of your reassurances to the contrary, I'm reminded of a line from the TV show "Gracelend" -- "Your lies are your life."

davidgwaters

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:11 pm

I am not doing a story. I am trying to find out what went wrong during my trip. Any ideas? Should I just call in now and ask them to dig into the system by phone? I was planning on shooting over all my information so an agent could trace the problem.

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 39):
Ah, so.

You're a reporter.

I've done newsprint reporting myself, and in spite of your reassurances to the contrary, I'm reminded of a line from the TV show "Gracelend" -- "Your lies are your life."

Braniff747SP

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:34 pm

Quoting davidgwaters (Reply 40):
I am not doing a story. I am trying to find out what went wrong during my trip. Any ideas? Should I just call in now and ask them to dig into the system by phone? I was planning on shooting over all my information so an agent could trace the problem.

Yeah. If I where you I'd call up US and find out... I don't think you'll get the answer you're searching for here.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

cytz_pilot

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:43 pm

Quoting davidgwaters (Reply 37):
There are always human errors made, whether by the customer or workers. It's normal. Figuring out where the mistake happened is important to prevent it, or reduce the chances of it happening again. I fly enough that I want that knowledge of how this can happen.

Since you got a check-in reminder stating BWI, there's not much you could have done to prevent this, outside of calling the airline to double-check - but automated reminders are supposed to make it so you don't have call customer service for something as simple as checking what airport you're flying from.

As a web systems developer, one thing I can say about IT systems is that a system failure is rarely the cause of just one obvious factor. We can test for the obvious. Failures happen due to a number of specific factors, that happen in succession, in a way not previously anticipated or tested. Somewhere along the line, the information about your return flight should have filtered down through the entire reservation system to reach the check-in reminder, but it didn't. IMHO, US Airways needs to know about this in order to to fix it - all anyone else can really do is shrug their shoulders unless they know the system and can isolate the point of system failure.  

ikramerica

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:11 pm

Those trying to say this cant happen...

Back in the 90s I was booked on AA in F DAY-ORD-LHR-GVA(BA)

A few days before the flights I called AA to reconfirm. used to do that before web checkin

When I show up at DAY they tell me my res was canceled because my ORD-LHR flight was no longer operating and I had missed the last ORD flight from DAY that could get me there in time for their earlier LHR flight. I explained how I was re confirmed on those flights, etc. (which they found in the record) and they said it was an error and the flight hasn't operated for 2 months!

Needless to say I was angry. They told me to go home and they would fly me the next day. I said no dice, I'm booked on the DAY-ORD flight which is still operating, my vacation starts now. They rebooked me on the last BA flight, but the DAY flight ended up 2 hours late and I missed it (still at gate but doors closed) when our ATR arrived, so they put me in the crew hotel in Chicago off Michigan, cab and meal vouchers, next day AA flight to ZRH then Swissair MD11 ZRH-GVA.

If an airline can reconfirm a pax on a many months discontinued flight, they can accidentally rebook you out of a different airport without informing you.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

davidgwaters

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:21 pm

I had a friend tell me he "always goes to the source" and reconfirms it online. When I reported, I always did two checks of everything. I should apply that here as well, and will be confirming flights in two ways from now on.

Quoting davidgwaters (Reply 38):
Quoting cytz_pilot (Reply 42):
Failures happen due to a number of specific factors, that happen in succession, in a way not previously anticipated or tested.
Since you got a check-in reminder stating BWI, there's not much you could have done to prevent this, outside of calling the airline to double-check

FlyingSicilian

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:22 pm

It would seem the most simple scenario is that the agent that rebooked the outbound changed the inbound to DCA also, correct?
Ci sono formiche qui

davidgwaters

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:25 pm

I bet if I'd done early check in online, that might have shown Reagan, unlike the email saying go ahead and do early check in for BWI.

there's not much you could have done

davidgwaters

Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:27 pm

That would indeed be the simplest scenario of how and when the flight was changed. Speculative, but isn't everything? Then the second question is, why did the alert say BWI, since it came in about two hours AFTER I'd finished dealing with the gate agent who rebooked my flight out of FLL?

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 45):
It would seem the most simple scenario is that the agent that rebooked the outbound changed the inbound to DCA also, correct?

eksath
Crew
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:22 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 39):
Ah, so.

You're a reporter.

Maybe, you should do a story or two. Both the above suggestions by kgaiflyer are good topics in my opinion.  

(on a side note, it was noted in this forum that the Yahoo story a couple of weeks back widely underestimated the number of "bozos" here   Perhaps you can improve on that approximation. )

Quoting davidgwaters (Reply 33):
Yes, please repost the screen shot with my information on it. It will help anyone in the know figure out the details, and all of my information is already public. -David Waters

[Edited 2013-07-21 21:29:39 by wilco737]

crj900lr

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:11 am

Quoting davidgwaters (Reply 38):
The agent at FLL who rebooked the start of my trip because of the weather delay never discussed return flights. We only discussed my trip to Washington DC and my check on bags. My only information that I had on my return flight that I had seen was from the original booking showing I fly out of BWI. My next information I received was a USAirways email alert showing BWI, and the same information as when I booked.

The agent would have gone over your entire trip with you especially if you were changing from BWI to DCA for the arrival and return. The agent did his job, gave you a new itinerary card and you failed to read it. I'm sure he also went over it with you at the counter when the changes were being made. There is nothing else to this, you failed to double check your reservations after a change in your original travel plans.

davidgwaters

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:40 am

Correct, I failed to double check. Incorrect, the agent did not go over the entire trip. She was one of two agents at the gate rebooking about half the passengers from the plane, and she was focused on the mistake she had just made. I had asked to arrive at the earliest possible time into Washington DC at any airport, so I could make it to a 10am tv interview I needed to do. She said around 9:20am was the earliest time at any airport, and I would need to come back the next morning to FLL and fly out. I asked again if there were any other routes that would get me in earlier? She said the only other one was a 3 minute difference. She asked should she kick my bags out to the baggage carousel. I said yes. Less than a minute later, I looked at the next gate over boarding to CLT and said, wait a minute, Charlotte is closer to DC than FLL. You're telling me if I flew to Charlotte and waited there, I couldn't get to DC earlier? She looked it up and said that would get me in at 8am. I was shocked that she as the expert had indicated twice that 9:20 was the earliest I could arrive in DC, when the truth was 8am is when I could get in. So she called the baggage handlers back within 3 minutes of the first call, but it was too late, they didn't answer. So since my tripod, television lights, extra gear, audio equipment, and suitcase were all check on, and kicked out, and now I was going to fly immediately to Charlotte within 30 minutes of standing at that counter, she said she would try to get my baggage loaded back. She never spoke of the return, most likely because she was working to get my bags back with me so they'd make it to DC at the earlier time, and because there was a line of passengers behind me, who heard this.

As stated, I am interested in finding out the cause, so that in future, I know what chain of events happened so I don't take the same steps again, or so I know what to look for.

I incorrectly assumed that an email about my return trip sent by USAirways sent two hours after my rebook of the outbound trip, which said BWI, must have meant that was the latest information. I was wrong to assume. Having never encountered an email confirmation before that had an airport that I wasn't flying out of, I did not think to double check it, and I should have, and will from now on. I have no issues with USAirways. Mistakes happen on all sides, and it was a very busy time for the agent. She was trying to fix the bigger problem which was all of my television gear was now on a carousel in South Florida, and I was about to board to Charlotte so that at least I would make it to DC in time for the interview. Unfortunately, the gear made it at the time she said was the earliest time to DC, which was in fact too late to do the interview.

Quoting crj900lr (Reply 51):
Quoting crj900lr (Reply 51):
The agent would have gone over your entire trip with you especially if you were changing from BWI to DCA for the arrival and return. The agent did his job, gave you a new itinerary card and you failed to read it. I'm sure he also went over it with you at the counter when the changes were being made. There is nothing else to this, you failed to double check your reservations after a change in your original travel plans.

davidgwaters

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:51 am

So after all this discussion, there's a suggestion to lock down the thread, rather than have the experts here help a passenger figure out what all of the issues were, to prevent it from happening again?

I would really rather hear some factoids. I'm going to take a stab at what I should do differently now. Tell me what's a waste of time, and what would be smart please.

Perhaps 1) Ask the agent to go over each flight verbally every time. My agent did not, because she was focused on the biggest problem - my television gear was on the baggage carousel, and I was rebooked for CLT leaving in 30 minutes. She was trying to get my bags into the next plane, and had a line of other passengers all on my rain delayed flight that she needed to rebook. So I give her a pass for not talking about the return trip. In the end, the whole trip was a waste because my tv gear made it to DC at a time too late for my tv interview. The gear could have made it on time if the agent had properly looked up all available route options, instead of waiting for me to ask about a specific route that got me to DC an hour and 20 mins before she said I could get in.

POTENTIAL TIP 2) Log online to confirm the flights? or should I

3) Call in to the USAirways phone number to confirm the flights? Would either or both of those have told me that the email alert was wrong?

Tip 4)? Never trust an email alert? When can I trust an email alert? I am inclined not to ever again because if it can happen once, I must revert to double checking, which I should have been doing in the first place.

I continue to look for the expertise from this forum, and I am dismayed that after signing up for Airliners.net, that there seem to be a lot of non-experts in here weighing in along with the actual professionals. Cold hard facts = very much appreciated. -David

Quoting ouboy79 (Reply 57):
Ditto. This thread really needs to be locked down

[Edited 2013-07-21 20:58:30]

davidgwaters

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:26 am

Well it seems the screen shot is causing a big distraction to the travel issue I was inquiring about. So feel free to take it down so we don't have to spend so much time talking about privacy, and can instead focus on what mistakes I made, what mistakes the airline (people and software) might have made, what worked, what can be done better, etc... I don't think some people here realize that travelers do come to this site for tips.

Even if the issue all traces back to mistake I made, I have no issue with hearing that very clearly and directly. Also, why am I seeing so many cagey looking answers from people who don't want to be identified? I understand if you don't want your airline identifying you, but surely everyone here can't be in the witness protection program!

My main new question tonight, after being a newly minted paid member of Airliners.net for a matter of hours --- why are so many people on here displaying hostility and anger in a forum of professionals and experts? Was I wrong to expect more from a site that people come to for answers? -David

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos