flymco
Topic Author

Unusual 787 Destination

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 pm

While on vacation in Flat Rock, North Carolina I was checking the local airports and decided to see what was coming into Greenville/Spartanburg International (GSP). I saw the normal CRJ's, the Southwest 737 then I saw 788. I thought it was a mistake and I checked Flightaware and sure enough Boeing flight 104 is a 787 heading to GSP today.

Any reason why the 787 is flying to GSP today?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE104

citation501sp

RE: Unusual 787 Destination

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:06 pm

A Boeing test flight or ferry to a paint shop? Here in the NW we have new Boeing's going to many different airports around the region, its not unusual to see an Egypt Air 737 at say the Yakima Airport. etc..

501sp
Smoke and Thunder! Stage 2 FOREVER!!!

audidudi

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Quoting flymco (Thread starter):

The FlightAware link that you posted is incorrect as it shows no activity for that flight # since April 24th.

oly720man

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:38 pm

There are these

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE786
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE386

Quoting audidudi (Reply 2):

The FlightAware link that you posted is incorrect as it shows no activity for that flight # since April 24th.

It is there on the KGSP "En route" list as delayed.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KGSP
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

7BOEING7

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:14 pm

It's got a nice long runway and an ILS -- what more can you want? It's a little farther from CHS than MYR but that's not a big deal. In the Puget Sound area Boeing production flights have operated (as mentioned above) at several different airports to accomplish their autoland checks -- PAE, MWH, GEG, YKM (737 only), PDX and EUG. It's always nice to have other familiar options when the weather or airport goes down. I imagine you'll have plenty of opportunities to see the 787 there in the future.

LN-MOW

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:19 pm

It's a test flight by Boeing Charleston. They usually use Myrtle Beach as intermediate stop, but I have seen them use GSP too, Depends on the weather, I guess. We have had unusually bad weather in the South this summer.

BOE386 is on its way to GSP as we speak. It's B-2735 of China Southern.

http://www.flightradar24.com/BOE386
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

clemsonaj

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:46 pm

I really have to stay on top of this in the future. Been wanting some pics of the 788 and GSP is my local airport. Is this primarily a secondary stop or will Boeing be using GSP pretty regularly?

KarelXWB

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Quoting clemsonaj (Reply 6):
Is this primarily a secondary stop or will Boeing be using GSP pretty regularly?

I believe this is the second CHS 787 performing a test flight towards GSP, I expect more to come.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

7BOEING7

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Quoting clemsonaj (Reply 6):
I really have to stay on top of this in the future. Been wanting some pics of the 788 and GSP is my local airport. Is this primarily a secondary stop or will Boeing be using GSP pretty regularly?

Just keep an eye on FlightAware and the current 787 Production/Delivery Thread Part ## (to see who's flying out of CHS). There's probably a good chance there will be a few flights to GSP over the coming months.

roseflyer

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Each new build airplane goes on a minimum of 2 test flights, but typically more than that. In Washington the favorite destination is Moses Lake in the middle of the state. It is an airport with large long runways, is relatively quiet and almost always has VFR weather. They can do touch and goes and not bother anyone out there. A typical test flight lasts 2-6 hours with some being longer and may have multiple landings. The same is required out of Charleston for 787 production test flights. They have to go somewhere that won’t be bothered with them sitting on the runway for long periods of time and doing unconventional approaches. Charleston isn’t a particularly busy commercial airport, but it is busy enough that the tower doesn’t want too many test flight touch and gos interferring with commercial traffic.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

N126DL

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Quoting LN-MOW (Reply 5):
They usually use Myrtle Beach as intermediate stop

It's terrible weather in MYR today. It's a good place for a short hop - you don't bother anyone with the noise because you're flying out over the "dead" section of the oceanfront resort area or a forested area in the other direction. GSP isn't right next to the city like CAE is. SAV isn't really a good destination due to Gulfstream's operations and it's a busier commercial airport. Makes sense...

Would this be a B1 or B2 flight?
DH84 E135/145/175/190 CR2/7/9 A319/20/21 A332/3 D95 M80/83/88/90/95 73W/8/9 752/3 763/4 772/L

7BOEING7

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:22 pm

Quoting n126dl (Reply 10):
Would this be a B1 or B2 flight?

B-1

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 9):
A typical test flight lasts 2-6 hours with some being longer and may have multiple landings.

A typical production B-1 or C-1 is about 2+20, other B or C flights are generally 1+00 -- some customers will stretch their C-1 to up to 4 hours but they are a small percentage. EWA flights where engineering work is done can be much longer.

caetravlr

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Quoting roseflyer (Reply 9):
Charleston isn’t a particularly busy commercial airport, but it is busy enough that the tower doesn’t want too many test flight touch and gos interferring with commercial traffic.

I am assuming the USAF C-17s here keep the tower busy enough with touch and goes as it is. I see several C-17s flying around CHS every day and have seen them do that type of exercise. I am sure that is another reason that Boeing has to find other airports for that kind of testing.

Oddly enough, I have seen plenty of 787s on the flightline living in Charleston, but haven't seen one take off or land yet. I'm going to have to pay more attention and make that happen.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

N126DL

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:48 pm

Quoting caetravlr (Reply 12):
I have seen plenty of 787s on the flightline living in Charleston

The AI birds are still there - anyone know the status of their delivery? I know the trees are there for a reason, but if they could get hacked down so I could spy on the flightline from Mark Clark, that would be great... wishful thinking, though.
DH84 E135/145/175/190 CR2/7/9 A319/20/21 A332/3 D95 M80/83/88/90/95 73W/8/9 752/3 763/4 772/L

caetravlr

Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:42 am

Quoting n126dl (Reply 13):
but if they could get hacked down so I could spy on the flightline from Mark Clark, that would be great...

Well, sometimes I go down 26 to Aviation Blvd and approach the airport from there, follow that road and you'll get a much better view. Also, in the fall and winter, you can see much better from Mark Clark. Gonna be a distracting commute for me then!

I have seen China Southern planes (STUNNING!), some Hainan Airlines birds, and one that I believe is for United, but last time I rode by it just had the dark blue tail and and had not been out for painting yet. It was quite frustrating when it was just AI planes, but there is a bit more variety now!
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

KarelXWB

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:17 am

Quoting caetravlr (Reply 12):
but haven't seen one take off or land yet. I'm going to have to pay more attention and make that happen.

There are on an average basis only 2 landings and 2 takeoffs per month, so you have to know precisely when it happens to catch them.

Quoting n126dl (Reply 13):
The AI birds are still there - anyone know the status of their delivery?

> 2x Hainan: both painted and awaiting customer flights
> 1x Air India: painted and awaiting customer flight
> 2x China Southern: 1 painted and awaiting customer flight, the other had a test flight and is waiting to be painted
> 1x Qatar: currently being painted at FTW
> 1x LAN: awaiting first flight

All info can be found here (look for the spreadsheets).
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

CHS787

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:28 am

1st time A.Netter post, many years grinding my teeth reading your posts.. SALUTE!!

KGSP & KMYR are our test beds for all of our "check flights".. Myrtle Beach International KMYR and the Greenville/Spartanburg International KGSP airports probably see more flight action than we do in Charleston. There is a great bit of testing done out over the ocean. Joint Base Charleston is the largest installation of the C-17 in the world and they keep the tower somewhat busy, but not enough to keep the 787's from making "touch and go's" If you look at the
AFD and NOTAMS that civilian touch and go's are "NO STUDENT SOLO TOUCH AND GO LANDING ALLOWED." Obviously these are not student pilots but 33/15 is still down for reconstruction and so are the ILS's for our main runway. That is why the delivery flights to AI must land in Germany, we cant fuel up enough to get off the ground and make the trip off of a 7K runway..

I finally had to pay up so I could fill in the gaps..... I have no idea how to "quote others responses" or any of that, I am just here to read the posts, but I am going to defend the Boeing 787.. That's what I build and I stand behind every frame I build..

That being said, I thank you A.netters for many many many years of information and knowledge that I would not have otherwise, and keep at what it is you do best.... You know what that is!! OUTSIDE OF AIRBUS/BOEING BASHING..

LN-MOW

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:38 pm

CHS787 - thank you for the info. As someone who has walked on the factory floor and production lines on Everett and Renton, I hope to get the chance to do the same at CHS one day.

Those of you who are curious of 787 production and which are being built where, bookmark this site. It contains pretty much all information you could ever need and want.

http://nyc787.blogspot.com/
- I am LN-MOW, and I approve this message.

caetravlr

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Quoting CHS787 (Reply 16):
1st time A.Netter post, many years grinding my teeth reading your posts.. SALUTE!!

Welcome aboard. As a local Charlestonian (moved from Columbia, hence the username), I look forward to your insight about the local production and other activity.

Quoting LN-MOW (Reply 17):
As someone who has walked on the factory floor and production lines on Everett and Renton, I hope to get the chance to do the same at CHS one day.

Me too!

CHS787

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:17 pm

On the flightline which is public knowledge, we have 3 China Southern Airlines, 2 Hainan Airlines, 1 Air India, 1 LAN Airlines and 1 Qatar but it is in Texas for paint right now. We are steadily getting closer to our projected rate of production and will soon be spitting out 3-5 a month from FAD (Final Assembly & Delivery).

Back on topic, the 787's on check flights out of Charleston make a straight climb out over the Atlantic to 41,000ft (according to flighaware) and they head straight for the military restricted airspace east of Charleston, run through the paces and then come straight back to CHS or will make some bounces in MYR before returning to CHS.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos