audidudi
Topic Author

Problems With DL's GoGo WiFi?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:23 am

I just flew from SFO-ATL on DL 2049 and the GoGo WiFi was inop. This is the third consecutive DL flight I have flown in a B752 with the WiFi being inop! What is going on here? Is this a common occurrence on GoGo equipped aircraft? It's extremely inconvenient for those who need to have a WiFi connection, especially on 4+ hours flights.

[Edited 2013-08-07 19:48:53]

floridaflyboy

RE: Problems With DL's GoGo WiFi?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:45 am

Quoting audidudi (Thread starter):

Of my last 3 flight on DL 2 have had inop GOGO. Not sure if its Gogo or a delta, but not good.
Good goes around!

rj777

Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:27 am

Yeah, that is not good, considering how much you gotta fork over to get the thing.

fanoftristars

Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:09 am

That's strange. I just completed 4 flights in 7 days and all flights the wifi worked flawlessly.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

chrisair

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:14 am

I had an Alaska flight back in June with inop internet. The FA tried to have the pilots cycle it on and off, but that didn't work. It was probably for the best. The flight pushed at 9p and I had an extremely long, tiring day. Drinking seemed much more enjoyable than work. 

If you have a subscription (I have the $40/mo unlimited one), email Gogo and ask for a credit. They'll ask for the flight number/route etc. They're usually pretty responsive.

rscaife1682

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Since Jan 1st I have flown 87 legs and had GOGO inop on 2 of them.

flyabr

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:00 pm

My biggest issues with GO-GO on delta is that you can't stream Netflix or HBOGo!! I even had trouble streaming music from my Google Play account! Not Impressed!

chrisair

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Quoting flyabr (Reply 6):

My biggest issues with GO-GO on delta is that you can't stream Netflix or HBOGo!!

So you missed the big red disclaimer that says "Gogo does not support streaming video services like Netflix or HBO Go."

A few years ago, I was able to stream my sling box. That was cool!

TVNWZ

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:21 pm

FWIW, I have found it to be a little unreliable of late. It is either inoperable, or so many users are on it that it is reall slloooww. Since it is cell tower based I wonde if it is better/worse than WN's satellite based wifi. Anyone?

netjetandy

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:50 pm

Are you sure it really wasnt working of was the plane in international configuration and it does not have it even installed? I've been on the 777 several times from ATL to LAX where the ship was being ferried and Gogo was not even installed because the ship was usually used for international and DL doesn't even install it if its primary purpose is international flights.

I imagine several 752's are like this as well. Not sure if their Hawaii planes have it installed..I'll check on the 31st when I head to OGG.

THEFLLFLYER

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:26 am

Sometimes it depends on the routing whether you have good WiFi coverage or not.

For example, yesterday, I flew DL SNA-ATL and we took a very southerly routing and as we skirted the Mexican border the WiFi became very slow.

Also on FLL/MIA/PBI-NYC/BOS/DCA/IAD/PHL flights if an easterly routing is taken over the Atlantic WiFi is usually unavailable for 1/2 the flight.

jayunited

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:34 am

I'm not sure the title of this thread is correct because no one can say for sure if the problem is exclusively with Delta or if it is a GoGo problem. United has had and still has problems at times with GoGo WIFI reliability which is one of the reasons why United decided against installing GoGo WIFI across the entire domestic fleet instead choosing Satellite based WIFI.

So if this really a Delta problem or a GoGo problem.

phlwok

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:47 am

In my last 14 segments on US that were supposed to have Internet, which also uses Gogo, it has been inop on 5 of them. FA resets of the system, which seem to take about 10-12 minutes, only resolved it once. This percentage is way up in the past few months and numerous colleagues have complained of similar.

That said, it's working on this A319 (N700UW) over rural West Virginia right now, else I wouldn't be typing this now.

chrisair

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:35 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 8):
Since it is cell tower based I wonde if it is better/worse than WN's satellite based wifi. Anyone?

It's hit and miss in my experience. Sometimes the WN system is blazing fast, otherwise no pages load.

Gogo is at least (fairly) consistently slow.

jetblueguy22

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:41 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 8):
Since it is cell tower based I wonde if it is better/worse than WN's satellite based wifi. Anyone?

My experience with WN is limited to only two flights, butI was pretty unimpressed both times. It wasn't very fast at all, but I was able to hop on Airliners and read a bit. Reddit was a little too bandwidth heavy, but GoGo struggles with it too. Can't go wrong with the 5 bucks though.

Quoting flyabr (Reply 6):
My biggest issues with GO-GO on delta is that you can't stream Netflix or HBOGo!! I even had trouble streaming music from my Google Play account! Not Impressed!

There is a disclaimer before you buy it saying you can't use it. Even if they did unblock it I don't think you would be very successful at keeping a constant stream.

I'm surprised you've had these issues. I've had 25+ flights on DL the last couple years where GoGo has worked just fine. Given none were on 752s but they did all work.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

burnsie28

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:20 am

Quoting netjetandy (Reply 9):
I imagine several 752's are like this as well. Not sure if their Hawaii planes have it installed..I'll check on the 31st when I head to OGG.

All the 757's have Wi-Fi

I was on DL Shuttle (Shuttle America) the other week and Gogo wasn't working, it would just keep saying there was an error in the system. Seems to me this is a gogo issue.

floridaflyboy

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Quoting netjetandy (Reply 9):
Are you sure it really wasnt working of was the plane in international configuration and it does not have it even installed?

My flights that had it inop were an A319 and a CRJ-900 (OO)

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 8):
Since it is cell tower based I wonde if it is better/worse than WN's satellite based wifi.

I've never experienced WN's wifi inop, but that said, it's nothing to write home about. Service is patchy at best and speeds vary to an infuriating degree.
Good goes around!

willzzz88

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:07 pm

You guys should check out United Satellite WiFi (non 757 PS GoGo service):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVDCQi51xlU

MUCH faster without any users. 7Mbps down and 1Mbps up with 800ms ping (satellite).

n7371f

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:29 pm

GoGo on Delta generally is a junker. Logging on can take numerous attempts. Speeds are incredibly slow. Have not had the problems of inops but in the five years since its rollout, GoGo is a weak performer.

flashmeister

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:11 pm

Gogo worked just fine on my flights PDX-SLC-DEN last week. Didn't pay for it but was nice to use the Fly Delta app to change my seat assignment SLC-DEN when we hadn't even landed yet. I did pay the $2 for 30 minutes of mobile data on SLC-DEN, just to see how it went -- was able to stream Spotify no problem at all.

apfpilot

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:15 pm

No outages on the gogo network for the last couple of weeks. More than likely hardware issues, if you run into stuff like that hop on the online support after your flight when you have service again and let them know. Sometimes they'll throw you a promo code to make up for it. Speed is all going to be a function of who is using the service on your airplane, as well as on the towers that your aircraft is accessing. Netflix and HBO go are specifically dis-allowed in the TOS and will be shaped accordingly if you try to use it.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

srbmod

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 8):
FWIW, I have found it to be a little unreliable of late. It is either inoperable, or so many users are on it that it is reall slloooww. Since it is cell tower based I wonde if it is better/worse than WN's satellite based wifi. Anyone?

When I flew ATL-LAS back in May, it was painfully slow and if I was paying for it, I would have been mad (I got WiFi for free on my BlackBerry PlayBook due to a promotion BlackBerry was doing on DL flights.).

Quoting chrisair (Reply 7):
So you missed the big red disclaimer that says "Gogo does not support streaming video services like Netflix or HBO Go."

They don't seem to like streaming audio too much either, as my last two trips (October 2012 and May 2013) I tried streaming SiriusXM Internet Radio, Pandora and Spotify and they would stream for maybe 10 minutes before stopping.

DL is supposed to be upgrading their systems to the newest Gogo standards, so perhaps these upgrades are why the system may have been inop.

redflyer

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:17 pm

In the past year I've encountered inop GoGo only twice (I fly on average about 10 - 12 segments/month). However, the one bitch I have is that I've been forced to create a second account because for some odd reason, about 1 out of 8 or 9 attempts to log on result in a failure to recognize my user ID, so I switch to my alternate. Also, I hate how sometimes it takes forever for the service to come on line once the system is enabled above 10k ft. Overall, I can't complain. My other frequent airline is WN and although logging on is a lot smoother and I've only encountered one "inop" on a flight, their system is a lot slower. But, hey, why are we whining? Until just a few years ago our choices on a flight were either a book or the stale offerings of a single movie shown on an overhead screen. At this rate, I'm surprised airlines even bother with AVOD systems in the seatbacks. They should all just switch to satellite internet systems (unlike DLs ground based system) and let the customer choose their own in-flight entertainment on their personal mobile devices.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

srbmod

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Quoting redflyer (Reply 22):
At this rate, I'm surprised airlines even bother with AVOD systems in the seatbacks. They should all just switch to satellite internet systems (unlike DLs ground based system) and let the customer choose their own in-flight entertainment on their personal mobile devices.

That's the way it's headed, as Delta does have their WiFi streaming IFE content on certain a/c types (like the 753), but it appears to only work on laptops and maybe some tablets. Delta has opted for this instead of retrofitting their planes (at least for the near term).

I remember when DL rolled out WiFi several years ago and people were slow to embrace it, even when it was for free (First trip I used it was during Thanksgiving and companies like eBay were sponsoring free WiFi on Delta and other airlines with GoGo.). A lot more people seem to be using the service, as more and more folks travel with at least one type of WiFi-enabled device with them.

flashmeister

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 21):
I tried streaming SiriusXM Internet Radio, Pandora and Spotify and they would stream for maybe 10 minutes before stopping.

I was able to stream Spotify at the highest bitrate for 30 minutes on my phone on DL Gogo, and the only thing stopping me from going longer was the fact that we were landing...

chrisair

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 23):
A lot more people seem to be using the service, as more and more folks travel with at least one type of WiFi-enabled device with them.

I don't know what I'd do without inflight wifi. It's a great tool for me and lots of others at my company.

United1

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:47 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 23):
as Delta does have their WiFi streaming IFE content on certain a/c types (like the 753), but it appears to only work on laptops and maybe some tablets

What exactly is the content?
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

apfpilot

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:54 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 26):
What exactly is the content?

Thats called gogo vision. It varies based on when you are flying but it is usually new releases and latest episodes of tv shows: http://www.gogoair.com/gogovision/

It is stored on a server on the a/c and the only ping it has to do to the ground is for billing and drm approval.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos