questions
Topic Author

Would DL Get New Livery Soon?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Isn't it about time? They blew through Ron Allen, Ron Allen with Frowning Widget, and Deltaflot pretty fast.

I'd like to see something like the classic Widget livery modernized -- using the updated widget, lowering the cheat line to below the windows, and removing the arc of the blue belly.

Even a few retro-jets of the classic Widget livery would be nice.

(NOTE: yes, I realize it's expensive to update a livery)

adtall

RE: Would DL Get New Livery Soon?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:18 pm

Why? They finally get to a standardized livery in 2009-ish (and still have the same management when they created the current livery), and adding unnecessary vanity costs is not on DL's agenda. Just because DL blew through liveries like they were kleenex in the past doesn't mean they are going to keep making that mistake over again. Regardless of someone's personal DL livery preference, I wouldn't think any changes or retro liveries are coming either when just 5 years ago DL had a whole fleet of retro planes and wanted to get away from that.

flashmeister

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:22 pm

In a word, no. Delta loves its current branding. They've only made incremental changes to it since its debut. It's gonna be here for quite a while.

DeltaMD90

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:24 pm

Quoting questions (Thread starter):
Isn't it about time?

No, and it wasn't time changing to Deltaflot. Them changing to the Ron Allen livery wasn't too bad--I preferred the old colors more, but the livery was indeed old. Changing to Deltaflot was pretty premature. This new livery, while being the 4th livery in about a decade, can be argued as a post-BK Delta and I thought was an all right move

They blew through Ron Allen, Ron Allen with Frowning Widget, and Deltaflot pretty fast.

This Delta isn't the Delta of '97, '98, '00, or '05 (bankruptcy.) It's a different Delta. I'm not saying they are a non-livery changing Delta but they appear to be a Delta that is doing very well, is building a very good brand, and is against wasting money... the latter two are strong reasons NOT to change a livery

I'd like to see something like the classic Widget livery modernized

Meh, I like the livery now but I'd also be happy to see the old livery again. I hope they wouldn't modernize it, may make it look stupid or something. The livery was excellent, why change it?

Agreed, but I doubt they'd do it. They seems to not really care for retro jets. Let's enjoy the special liveries, I think that's all we'll get

flashmeister

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:34 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 3):
They seems to not really care for retro jets.

Besides, which retro logos? The widget? What about the red tail (NW)? Herman the Goose (Republic)? Flying Banana (Hughes)? Sun jet (National)? Pan Am Globe?

There are so many, and doing one but not the other would be a snub. Best not to do any.

DeltaMD90

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 4):
There are so many, and doing one but not the other would be a snub. Best not to do any.

I'm sure it's a matter of opinion. I don't think too many would be outraged if they only did retro DL jets or if they only did directly merged carriers (C&S, NE, WA, and NW.) I wouldn't even consider PA a merged carrier. They could go ridiculous and do every tiny carrier in the lineage, but that would be stupid IMO. Not even US does that I don't think

B757Forever

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 2):
In a word, no. Delta loves its current branding. They've only made incremental changes to it since its debut. It's gonna be here for quite a while.

Agreed. The current management worked very hard to get the entire fleet into one livery, they are very brand aware and will not do anything to damage that. I agree, we will be seeing this livery for a long time.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

BC77008

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:32 pm

What DL is going through right now is a branding nightmare! I mean a crooked red widget. Makes no sense! Hopefully they'll come up with something better and ditch this interim post NW merger livery.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

DeltaMD90

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:42 pm

Quoting BC77008 (Reply 7):
What DL is going through right now is a branding nightmare! I mean a crooked red widget. Makes no sense! Hopefully they'll come up with something better and ditch this interim post NW merger livery.

I obviously have a pro-DL bias, but what you are saying sounds like just an opinion and doesn't take their actual performance into account. They are doing very well right now and building a strong brand. How is their branding "a nightmare?"

cjg225

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:47 am

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 2):

Good. I love the current branding. Very clean and classy.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:24 am

In your head, maybe.

"Post NW Merger"? The livery debuted before the merger was even announced.

DL's big push for 2014 wil be growing the current brand. Trust me. 2,000+ leaders from across the system recently conveyned and this was the flavor of the entire conference. Branding.

Branding isn't only about a livery, colors, and a font. There's much more to it.
What gets measured gets done.

KarlB737

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:27 am

The answer is no just like the other thread for United with the same question.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:36 am

Isn't it about time? They blew through Ron Allen, Ron Allen with Frowning Widget, and Deltaflot pretty fast.

I'd like to see something like the classic Widget livery modernized -- using the updated widget, lowering the cheat line to below the windows, and removing the arc of the blue belly.

(NOTE: yes, I realize it's expensive to update a livery)

Just some history on DL's liveries during the the late 90s and 2000s. DL had basically the same livery for 30+ years up until 1997 when Allen changed it to what was called a more "corporate" look. Egos took a front seat in 2000 with Mullin changing to the Onward and Upward Livery. Call me crazy but I did like it. Then we have what was introduced post BK. That's it.

Alitalia744

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:56 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 12):
Just some history on DL's liveries during the the late 90s and 2000s. DL had basically the same livery for 30+ years up until 1997 when Allen changed it to what was called a more "corporate" look. Egos took a front seat in 2000 with Mullin changing to the Onward and Upward Livery. Call me crazy but I did like it. Then we have what was introduced post BK. That's it.

Hate to correct you bud, but the Mullin livery was called "Colors in Motion."

The current livery is the Upward/Onward livery.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

robsol

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:16 am

Hopefully not. The current livery is the best in the US. It's classy and professional and looks so sleek. I love it.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:22 am

Quoting alitalia744 (Reply 13):

Due...I think i'm sleepy but I hope the OP gets my point.

coronado

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:49 am

The current livery is elegant and professional. I think the NWA influence on Delta takes a page from KLM, with a focus on the catch phrase: Worldwide Reliability. They are very focused on being on time and on maintaining this incredibly high completion percentage, while rapidly rolling out a consistent experience from aircraft to aircraft. They are now down to the upgrades to the A319/320 to have a very consistent, predictable and reliable package across their entire fleet.
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

brilondon

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:33 am

I don't think that the DL livery is that old. What it is about 4 or 5 years old now? I suppose because of AA's new livery one might think that DL needs to improve its look. I don't think they need a fresh look, the present one is very good.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

e38

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:38 am

Quoting "questions," (thread starter), "Isn't it about time?

Why would you even pose a question such as this? Do you think airlines change their livery every 5 or 6 years? The whole premise of your thread doesn't even make any sense.

American Airlines had their previous livery (the AA on the tail with the red, white, and blue cheat line) for over 30 years--it had worldwide recognition.

and your comment, "Even a few retro-jets of the classic Widget livery would be nice."

Delta's corporate culture does not support retro-painted aircraft. There are a few "commemorative" aircraft such as "Habitat for Humanity," and aircraft with names dedicated on them, but there are no retro aircraft and no plans I know of to paint any as such.

e38

Sooner787

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:57 am

I like the current DL livery, but they could improve things with The DELTA titles enlarged

To the same size as the new AA titles with the larger widget as well

AA94

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:14 am

This is akin to when people say, "The new American is the worst livery EVAR." It's an opinion, not a fact.

Prost

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:36 am

Delta is having a big push right now to reinforce the brand. There have been some mention of this to front line employees 'be the brand' so we're going to be getting more training on this in the future. So I wouldn't expect any changes in the near or mid future, more of a circling the wagons around the current brand.

I can understand that some on the board have a preference for past paint schemes, or memories of Delta of yore, but I believe Delta is trying to build on the brand that they have now. Merger is accomplished, which gives them an advantage (disappearing vis á vis United) over the competition.

But will Delta be changing the brand? No, not for quite some time.

questions
Topic Author

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:18 am

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 10):
Branding isn't only about a livery, colors, and a font. There's much more to it.

I understand this.

Quoting Prost (Reply 21):
to front line employees 'be the brand' so we're going to be getting more training on this in the future.

How is the brand, as in "be the brand" communicated to employees? I understand more training will be forthcoming, but how does the leadership translate the brand into expectations for DL workers?

Prost

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:26 am

Hey questions,

There is some information that is posted on our internal website, but due to rules, I can't pass it along in a public forum.

DocLightning

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:08 am

Whut?

The DL livery existed long before the merger. And I'm aware that the tilted widget looked a bit like the NW compass. I doubt that there was anything that nefarious in the two liveries. It's just not worth the effort on the part of the management to be so sly. Besides, the motif of an arrow pointing up at a 45-degree angle is common in all sectors of the aviation industry.

Quoting e38 (Reply 18):
Delta's corporate culture does not support retro-painted aircraft.

A pity, because I'd love to see a 744 in Bowling Shoe colors again.   
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

deltal1011man

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:32 am

Hopefully one day Delta will get a CEO that will stop worrying about kissing the PMNW people's ass and bring back the real widget. The burning widget is the big joke i have ever seen.

and after Leo's widget I didn't think they could find a way to take a dump on Delta any more. Wrong again.  

skipness1E

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:52 am

Why do so many have pseudo religious affiliation to this widget? People do seem genuinely upset if the widget is not their preferred colour or displayed at the "correct" angle. This is only one of a number of threads where many wish to turn the clock back to how things were, in their younger days. Does this not speak more about the people concerned than the branding? I would say 95%+ of the travelling public have no issue at all, probably more.

From an outsider's perspective, it does all come across as theological/sacriligeous.....

seahawk

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:00 am

A retro 717 would be sweet though.

777way

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:06 am

I think Delta could have kept NWA silver livery had the not been rebranding themselves.

deltal1011man

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:10 am

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 26):

"From the outside the blah blah"
Is all you should have said.

For those of us that have been a part of delta or grown up living around that widget it means a lot
10x for a company that had been such a great company for its employees and there families. It's not just the widget it's what that widget means.
All I see with the burning widget is just how more and more this company is losing that and becoming just another airline to work for. I imagine Mr. Woolmen would firmly be placing his foot in a lot of asses over at the GO if he was still around today.

And it's something that from the outside you'd never get. Hell with what this company is compared to what it was most of the young bucks on the inside don't even understand. It's just a job to most of them. It use to be a passion

[Edited 2013-08-10 03:16:50]

Braniff747SP

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 25):
Hopefully one day Delta will get a CEO that will stop worrying about kissing the PMNW people's ass and bring back the real widget.

Well, this CEO has been posting excellent numbers quarter after quarter... Frankly, I could care less if he painted the planes pink with polka dots.

Livery is important as it is the cornerstone of the brand; I think the current one has successfully done its job and there is no reason to change it.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

bobnwa

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:46 pm

What DL is going through right now is a branding nightmare! I mean a crooked red widget.

I would doubt that other than yourself, very few if any employees or travelers would agree with you.

brilondon

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 22):
How is the brand, as in "be the brand" communicated to employees? I understand more training will be forthcoming, but how does the leadership translate the brand into expectations for DL workers?
Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 30):
Livery is important as it is the cornerstone of the brand; I think the current one has successfully done its job and there is no reason to change it.

The brand is not just the paint on the aircraft which I am sure you know. It also the culture that the airline cultivates amongst its employees and the way the public perceives the airline. It is all about how the public perceives DL and its product. That is what branding is about.

Why do so many have pseudo religious affiliation to this widget? People do seem genuinely upset if the widget is not their preferred colour or displayed at the "correct" angle. This is only one of a number of threads where many wish to turn the clock back to how things were, in their younger days. Does this not speak more about the people concerned than the branding? I would say 95%+ of the travelling public have no issue at all, probably more.

From an outsider's perspective, it does all come across as theological/sacriligeous.....

The widget is as iconic a symbol that represents DL. If they chose to call the airline Northwest then I would say that the widget should be left in the dust. That being said, Delta is a great airline with a great brand and a great product, but they will never go back to the past I hope.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

deltadawg

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Even a few retro-jets of the classic Widget livery would be nice

It can be done rather simply and inexpensively actually. It's called Photoshop by Adobe. Pick up a copy and make a million new liveries.
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

deltal1011man

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 30):

Right and see thankfully its all because of that stupid ass red crap and not because of the other things

Also good friggin thing he came along because had spent the last 60 years or whatever with the real widget failing.

Here we have another person who doesn't know wtf they are talking about.
Edit, cleaned it up a little. Not for the poster but for the mods
Quoting brilondon (Reply 32):

Thank you. Someone gets it.

[Edited 2013-08-10 07:29:37]

727LOVER

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Widget, smidget!!!.....the current livery is fine.....although, I wish they would enlarge the font on the A330s....looks to small.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Whitebird
View Large View Medium

Photo © Simone De Stradis

View Large View Medium

Photo © Darren Wilson
View Large View Medium

Photo © Pierre Cester

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

gdg9

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Oh dear I had a chuckle when I saw this thread title. Delta just finally got through repainting all their planes, and also finishing a term when they seemed to have four or five various liveries floating around. I would agree, this one is here to stay. Its not too bad.
@dfwtower

Alnicocunife

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Quoting seahawk (Reply 27):
A retro 717 would be sweet though.

Agree the the last 717 entering the fleet should be painted with the first DC-9 paint scheme! The beginning of the "T" tail brand and the final "T" tail brand.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Delta...d=adf3efcbc5060dda700ed47f010c596c

[Edited 2013-08-10 09:03:11]

mayor

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Quoting gdg9 (Reply 36):
also finishing a term when they seemed to have four or five various liveries floating around.

This is the kind of statement that perpetuates the myth about DL's liveries. Since I started in '71, there has been the "classic" Widget livery, the Ron Allen livery, Deltaflot and now, the current livery........a total of 4 in 48 years and counting. The only reason it seems like more is because in the middle of changing to the Ron Allen livery, they started changing to Deltaflot, so you had 3 liveries around at the same time.

Some short memories on here, but it seems to me that UA has had at least that many liveries, if not more, since I started with DL. I can remember 3 liveries for them, in the 70s, alone. How many more since then......4 more?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

NWADC9

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Agreed, but I doubt they'd do it. They seems to not really care for retro jets.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Airwim

Need I say more?

(Emphasis mine)
It's called "Onward and Upward", which the arrow is pointing at - forward and upward. And it's not the first Delta livery to have the widget on its side:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard

And it existed since 2007. The merger was in 2009.
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

DTWPurserBoy

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:59 pm

DL has other more pressing issues on its plate than rebranding.

I have started to think that "retro jetting" is getting a bit passé. Overdone to the nth degree. And forget those god-awful cartoon character jets of which the Japanese are so fond.

I have to admit though that I would like to see a 767-400 or A330 in the original Delta DC-8 paint job.

Uniforms are getting an update this fall--not a total new uniform but as DL calls it a "refreshing." New ties, pocket squares and scarves for starters and a new serving garment for BC. Probably a new sweater as well. Flight attendant wings were just changed with the NW merger--flight attendants have silver wings and pursers have gold.

If I am not mistaken, 2014 will be Delta's 85th Anniversary as a passenger airline and I would not be surprised to see something done to commemorate that milestone.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

einsteinboricua

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:04 pm

I'd like to see some heritage liveries a la US. Imagine NW, PA, and other liveries gracing DL jets.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

mayor

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 40):

Uniforms are getting an update this fall

Wonder if they're going to update the below wing uniforms at the same time, not that it matters to me.  
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

rwy04lga

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:24 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 39):
Need I say more?

Yes...you forgot to add the following...

Let's enjoy the special liveries, I think that's all we'll get

That was a special 75th anniversary livery, not a retro livery, per se. That ship is NOW painted in the retro 80's livery, but is not in passenger service anymore (which I'm SURE you already know).
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

DeltaMD90

Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:03 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 39):

Agreed, but I doubt they'd do it. They seems to not really care for retro jets.

Need I say more?
Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 43):
That was a special 75th anniversary livery, not a retro livery, per se. That ship is NOW painted in the retro 80's livery, but is not in passenger service anymore (which I'm SURE you already know).

I'll admit I forgot about the Spirit of Delta, but despite that, I still contend that they don't really care for them. Retro liveries by the majors have been around for a while, and DL has only had one (and that one is now retired.) Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see retro jets, I just don't see it happening.

I saw a pic (fake obviously) of all the liveries DL ever had on 757s. I'll try and dig it up. IMO, the retro jets should be on the 757s... love the 757s, hope they aren't gone by the time I get to DL

Edit: here it is:

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifiedairlinerphotos/photos/big/00010586.jpg

[Edited 2013-08-10 12:05:49]

We're Nuts

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 29):
Hell with what this company is compared to what it was most of the young bucks on the inside don't even understand. It's just a job to most of them. It use to be a passion

It actually really sounds like it's just a job to you, too.
Dear moderators: No.

727LOVER

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 38):
This is the kind of statement that perpetuates the myth about DL's liveries. Since I started in '71, there has been the "classic" Widget livery, the Ron Allen livery, Deltaflot and now, the current livery........a total of 4 in 48 years and counting. The only reason it seems like more is because in the middle of changing to the Ron Allen livery, they started changing to Deltaflot, so you had 3 liveries around at the same time.

Some short memories on here, but it seems to me that UA has had at least that many liveries, if not more, since I started with DL. I can remember 3 liveries for them, in the 70s, alone. How many more since then......4 more?

You know.......I don't understand why you always bring up this UA vs DL livery thing.

You bring it up here:

reply 109 & 115
United Airlines Paint Scheme? (by my1le Apr 28 2010 in Civil Aviation)?threadid=4794501&searchid=4801112&s=DL+livery+3+times#ID4801112

.......and here:

replies 15, 19, 20, & 21
Why No DL 764 In The Latest Livery? (by American 767 May 18 2009 in Civil Aviation)?threadid=4416327&searchid=4418522&s=DL+livery+727LOVER+mayor#ID4418522

...and I give you a good explanation in reply 21....didn't that answer your question then???

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

holzmann

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:49 pm

I like the current DL livery. But while they have fun with certain liveries (Susan G. Komen, etc.), I think they could throw a-nutters a bone and play with a few AC in retro liveries like many other airlines.
DISCLAIMER: Airliners.net is an AIRBUS forum. Boeing Commercial Airplanes, if it has considered doing so in the past, should in no way consider supporting this website.

spacecadet

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Why do so many have pseudo religious affiliation to this widget? People do seem genuinely upset if the widget is not their preferred colour or displayed at the "correct" angle. This is only one of a number of threads where many wish to turn the clock back to how things were, in their younger days. Does this not speak more about the people concerned than the branding?

You hit it on the head, and it's the same with the AA livery threads, the UA livery threads, etc. Pretty much any time an airline changes a livery, there are people here who react as if their entire life has been pulled out from under them. When an airline has a livery based around an icon (like the widget), it's even worse for them.

The bottom line is that airlines exist to make money, branding exists to facilitate that and all the evidence points to the current branding being successful. So no, personal opinions of the livery aside, there is no reason whatsoever for Delta to do anything different than they're doing right now.

I expect we'll see similar threads about AA's livery in 3-4 years too (just as we're also seeing them about UA's livery right now). It's like people just can't get the past out of their minds and try to bring it back just as soon as they think it's reasonable... but it's never reasonable. It's just not gonna happen.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

1337Delta764

Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:52 pm

Quoting holzmann (Reply 47):
. But while they have fun with certain liveries (Susan G. Komen, etc.), I think they could throw a-nutters a bone and play with a few AC in retro liveries like many other airlines.

DL's partnership is with The Breast Cancer Research Foundation, not Susan G. Komen For the Cure (which is AA's partner).
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos