Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BW424
Topic Author

Filled To The Gills - Caribbean Aviation 106

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:44 am

Greetings once again to all A.net patrons and welcome to the 106th instalment of Caribbean Aviation

We're in the height of the July/August peak season that usually means aircraft and hotels filled to the gills and high yields. The Caribbean is especially relevant in this aspect with most islands being primarily tourism-intensive economies. As is the expected healthy revenue numbers from this season of ritualistic holiday vacations, it is certainly hoped that all of us continue to have very healthy discussions on this centurion thread. Again, thank you to all contributors that continue to make this thread successful.

*On a personal note, I apologize for not being able to contribute to the thread as often as one would think I should. I've been relatively busy with school, however, I do monitor the thread on near bi-daily basis.

******NEWS FEED******
BW interim board says it's on track to present this month on the airline moving forward
LI receives two brand new ATR-72-600s in quick sucession (V2-LIA and V2-LIC)
LI's V2-LID expected to be first 42-600 series to enter the fleet.
KX plans flights to PTY
DAE has first F-100 (PJ-DAA) painted in new revised colors.
UA to increase IAH-POS to 10x weekly for winter season
BW 2yr Ag. CEO Robert Corbie resigns
Winair makes big equipment upgrade with intention to acquire ATR-72-200s
C208 Caravan pf ASL in GEO crashes in Guyanese interior. All onboard survive
Winair to fly to EIS (Tortola) and SDQ soon
AA to increase JFK-ANU from 4x weekly to daily with B738 for winter 2013
UA to operate EWR-ANU 11x weekly for winter 2013
FlyMonsterrat updates IT infrastructure to allow easier and improved service
JFK-BGI to be on of the initial routes for B6's new A321s
LI signs US$65M loan agreement to secure fleet renewal.

New

****MEMBER NOTES*****
Andrefranca travels to SJU, STT and AUA
Yellowtail has first B788 flight onboard UA (IAH-ORD)
A388 has first shot of high altitude overflying aircraft accepted into database

Happy Posting!!!

[Edited 2013-08-10 21:01:23]
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

BW424
Topic Author

RE: Filled To The Gills - Caribbean Aviation 106

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:00 am

"LIAT signs US$65m loan agreement"

"The shareholder governments of the regional airline, LIAT, yesterday signed a US$65 million loan agreement with the Barbados-based Caribbean Development BanK (CDB) as the cash-strapped airline seeks to upgrade its ageing fleet.
The loan represents 61 per cent of a US$100 million re-fleeting exercise being undertaken by the Antigua-based regional airline that is replacing its Canadian Dash 8 fleet with French-made ATRs."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/busin...S65m-loan-agreement-219065261.html

2travel2know2

Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:26 am

Quoting BW424 (Thread starter):
KX plans flights to PTY

SXM, NAS and TPA got CM the hard way, GCM should do the same and that way really increase GCM connectivity with South America and part of the Caribbean.

I wish I had encouraging news about CM to BGI, GEO, PBM, SCU and BZE; a better spread of PTY-Jamaica flights thorough the week, an extra frequency for SXM, POS really going double daily or PTY-NAS going daily..
Lets keep hoping for those.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

GoAibusGo

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Some more news from Curacao.....as our 'locals' don't report much aviation news from this island, I will do from what I gather here in The Netherlands.

DAE (Dutch Antilles Express) were banned from flying to Venezuela from May last. Since then they are slowly running out of money. Last months salaries are still not paid to their employees and yesterday one of the local banks who lend them a total 30 million guilders (about 13.5 mil. dollars) through the years have laid claim on one the airline's bank accounts.
From the local media I understand that this airline have huge debts at different locations and that it is expected that more of these actions (repossessions) are going to happen in the next few days. The airline has asked the government for a loan of 5 million guilders to pay out the salaries and to continue it's operation for 90 days. In these 90 days the company will have to find a solution with Venezuela or find new investment. The government has refused to give them this loan, saying that it is a private company and that they received enough money already from a government -backed development bank named Korpodeko.
My feeling is that DAE will suspend it's operation next week or a miracle will happen and the airline will get money from somewhere.
Meanwhile the other airline InselAir as come forward and said that they will take over operational personal (pilots and cabin crew) and some routes and frequencies form DAE's operation when this company ends it's operation. InselAir will bring in more aircraft to support this expansion. InselAir already made such an offer two years ago when DAE almost went bankrupt. DAE was then saved by the government.

We will see what will happen.

andrefranca

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 2):
SXM, NAS and TPA got CM the hard way, GCM should do the same and that way really increase GCM connectivity with South America and part of the Caribbean.

In this case I think time will teach them (again).

Quote:
Western Caribbeam news: looks like AA will be adding DFW RTB this winter. Things are heating up in RTB!

I don't get why, I was so disappointed with RTB, for me it is a sort of "continuation of Boca del toro"in PTY.

Quoting GoAibusGo (Reply 3):

I saw their press-release on facebook, on the two occasions I had to fly DAE I had horrendous experiences, and when I see their reputation on skytrax, I pity them.

and just for fun, a Jamaican goes "mad" on board CAL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YqZo7_22Yo

[Edited 2013-08-11 08:32:13]

2travel2know2

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 4):
I don't get why, I was so disappointed with RTB, for me it is a sort of "continuation of Boca del toro"in PTY.

I've heard that comment too.
Bocas is Roatán without a descent airport, cruise port, mountains/hills...
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:52 pm

its all about DIVE DIVE DIVE......Texans are some of the biggest divers in the world....you need to look no further than the success of UA IAH-RTB to see that. Also lots of YYC folks that connect in IAH and now DFW
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

A388

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Yes DAE is experiencing a rough time since a few weeks/months ago and it claimed the blow came when the Venezuelan INAC denied them access/flights to/from Venezuela which is said to account for a big part of their income. Let's see how all of this will go.

A388

guyanam

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:30 pm

This incident on the BW flight is quite disturbing as it appears as if the passengers were left to their own devices. According to reports she was acting erratic even before take off. Why was she not deplaned, and couldnt the pilot land the aircraft? I assume that the FAs were all female, but why couldnt one of the pilots not worked with some passengers to have her restrained before off loading her?

Supposed she actually attacked some one.

Quoting A388 (Reply 7):

No surprise as it is clear that they were over expanding. Maybe their focus should have been on providing quality and reliable service instead.

andrefranca

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:09 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 8):

Yeah sometimes crew don't want to get involved with passengers, they forget they're paid to keep the flight safe.

817Dreamliiner

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Just heard on the news that one of the ATR's are grounded waiting for a replacement engine. Anyone have anymore info on that?
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

andrefranca

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 am

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 10):
Quote:
LIAT’s operations continue to be affected by numerous challenges
ST. JOHN’S, Antigua, August 12, 2013 - LIAT wishes to advise that its operations continue to be affected by numerous challenges throughout its network.
The Company is currently modernizing its fleet by replacing all of its Dash 8 Aircraft with ATR Aircraft. During this transition, LIAT continues to operate its scheduled passenger and cargo service and carry out scheduled and unscheduled maintenance on its entire fleet of aircraft including the Dash 8 and new ATR 72. LIAT is also responding to traditionally high demand during the summer peak. This combination of factors has resulted in significant challenges for the company exacerbated by the grounding of one of the company’s new ATR aircraft in Barbados yesterday as a result of a technical issue.
LIAT’s Maintenance Department has advised that the grounded ATR aircraft is likely to remain out of service for the remainder of this week as the matter is being addressed. The technical issue concerns a higher than normal oil consumption. The safety of our passengers and crew is of paramount importance and as such the Aircraft will only be returned to service after the issue is resolved.
Meanwhile, the challenges being faced by the company have been further exacerbated by recent station staff issues in Dominica and Barbados.
While the company is doing everything to minimise the effects on its customers, they are being advised that for the coming days further disruptions to the schedule are likely to take place.
LIAT will continue to make every effort to mitigate the disruptions. We will also continue to issue timely, informative and up-to-date Passenger Communication Advisories at all stations; through our web site liat.com; LIAT Facebook and the media; and directly to our customers where contact information has been provided.
The company regrets and would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience to its customers as a result of the current challenges. We are doing all we can and we will provide open and honest communication to you while we seek to normalize the situation for our valued customers by providing the care and support that you deserve.
For further information customers are advised to contact – from Antigua – 1-268-480-5582; toll free from the rest of the Caribbean – 1-888-844-5428 and from Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands – 1-866-549-5428.
=End=

817Dreamliiner

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:28 am

Just noticed these 2 photos from A388 were added to the database:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter - Curacao Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

Awesome shots A388! Now we know What they look like on the inside 
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

PWMRamper

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:59 am

Hey guys...just a question.

I spent a night in SXM last year, and am looking to do the same this year. I also would love to get down to CUR, and I thought KLM flew SXM-CUR on the 744...but I cannot for the life of me find any of these flights, in either direction.

Am I missing something? Does this service no longer exist? Is it seasonal, certain days of the week (though I've searched a whole month in December)? Since it's a tag-on, is it not able to be booked as a separate flight?

817Dreamliiner

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:24 am

Quoting PWMRamper (Reply 13):

As far as I know, KL doesn't carry passengers between SXM and CUR and therefore cant be booked separately.

A388

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:20 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 12):
Awesome shots A388! Now we know What they look like on the inside

Hahaha, I was about to post those photos. Thanks for doing it for me my friend. What a beautiful aircraft it is  
Quoting PWMRamper (Reply 13):
thought KLM flew SXM-CUR on the 744...but I cannot for the life of me find any of these flights, in either direction.

Am I missing something? Does this service no longer exist? Is it seasonal, certain days of the week (though I've searched a whole month in December)? Since it's a tag-on, is it not able to be booked as a separate flight?

817Dreamliiner is right, KL is not allowed to carry passengers between SXM and CUR which is why you won't find bookable flights on this sector. KL flies AMS-SXM-CUR-AMS twice a week if memory serves me well.

A388

BW424
Topic Author

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:42 am

Some more good news coming out of CAL after the firing of the board, resignation of Corbie and now this new development.

"CAL severs Ramnarine"

"State carrier Caribbean Airlines (CAL) has severed its chief financial officer Shiva Ramnarine from the Company.
Aviation sources informed the Express that Ramnarine was asked to leave the job on Tuesday afternoon following a meeting with CAL director Patricia Kong-Ting and acting chief executive Captain Jagmohan Singh.
He returned a company vehicle, laptop computer and cell phone to CAL’s head office at Piarco, the Express was told.
It is understood that Ramnarine and Kong-Ting did not agree on several matters with regard to the transformation plan for the cash-strapped airline.

"Contacted yesterday Ramnarine confirmed he was severed from the airline but declined further comment.
It is the second CFO the company has lost in recent months."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/busin...L-severs--Ramnarine-219855841.html

andrefranca

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:54 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 16):
It is the second CFO the company has lost in recent months."

Things seem to keep "burning" in Piarco.

BWIA 772

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 16):

So far there seems to be a lot of firing going on at Caribbean Airlines but what about the future. When will a plan be put in place to bring that entity on a stable footing?

Also what is going on with the Air Jamaica brand and its usage?

Also how is BW fairing against BA on the London route?

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

bjorn14

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:44 pm

Is there a CARICOM 'FAA' to grant an AOC or is it every country for themselves?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

BWIA 772

Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 19):

No there isn't the closest thing to a regional FAA would be the Eastern Caribbean Civil Aviation Authority. Even then it seems you still have to go through each island within the Eastern Caribbean group civil aviation department. I am saying this based on the issues that LIAT as had in getting the necessary approvals for their Atr fleet.

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

guyanam

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:07 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 18):

I agree. If a fired executive is replaced by another who is mediocre (must be as a lot of firing seems to be gping on) then whats new?

And I keep on wondering why a region, which has been in the airline business for over 50 years (T&T acquired BWIA in 1961), seems to have such huge problems in locating competent airline professionals.

BW424
Topic Author

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 17):
Things seem to keep "burning" in Piarco.

It might seem that way but it is not. All the "firing" and resignations are necessary to get the airline back on a stable footing. This board was tasked with identifying the weaknesses and causes of BW's current failure and I must say they are doing so. The board committed massive corporate sins......they were fired...........former Ag. CEO facilitated the nonsense as a result of no backbone.....he was forced to resign......the HR manager that carried out strategic political hiring.......she was forced to resign........The airline needs to be purged of these individuals in integral positions in order to move forward and truly be competent. A CEO will be appointed and soon and most likely, this CEO will be able to attract real talent or probably even bring his own team.

So far there seems to be a lot of firing going on at Caribbean Airlines but what about the future. When will a plan be put in place to bring that entity on a stable footing?

Also what is going on with the Air Jamaica brand and its usage?

Also how is BW fairing against BA on the London route?

Regards
BWIA 772

See above reply to andrefranca. As for the JM brand, it must be phased out to move forward. As for BW on the LGW route, I have no idea, but I can't imagine this route is profitable. I think this is one of the reasons Ramnarine was released because he tried to blanket the LGW fiasco and hide the board's wrongdoings.

caribbean484

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 21):
Quoting BW424 (Reply 22):

424 is correct, the airline has to go through a systematic purge in order to move forward and these actions must be taken in order to correct the nonsense that went on in the airline. With the current government crumbling I hope they can start real changes in the airline before elections come in.

The last board of CAL did a serious number with the airline's finances and competitive position, and they were aided by some in management all in the name of keeping their jobs.

Corbie (Ag CEO) had no backbone and strength, and allowed the board to ride over him making bad decisions in the process. He watched as the marketing and COO managers were fired, and said nothing, he allowed the airline last year to run wet leases at high cost almost 50% of the airline's lose including the 767 that were in MEX for 3 months and then could not fly for another 2 months because of quality problems. Then the long term lease of TJR also cost the airline money while a.cs were sitting in POS.

The HR manager needed to go as she hired unqualified people into the airline, mostly those were political appointments and family of those in power. That being said those contracts will not be renewed when they are up.

The CFO needed to go as he was said to be asserting himself as CEO and COO of the airline making changes to the schedule and acting unilaterally in a business plan that was not agreed upon by the management. He too was a political hack that needed to see the door especially as he failed to say that LGW was a political route and still supported the service.

I truly hope now the board gets a qualified CEO to attract talent like Davies and Saunders did.
All ah we is one family

andrefranca

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:13 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 22):
The airline needs to be purged of these individuals in integral positions in order to move forward and truly be competent. A CEO will be appointed and soon and most likely, this CEO will be able to attract real talent or probably even bring his own team.

But that's the thing, people like us who are always reading and informing ourselves, waiting for changes on CAL and it never comes! I still hope one day I'll see a truly Caribbean Airlines, bringing us from NAS to CAY, BDA to CTG   

bjorn14

Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 21):
And I keep on wondering why a region, which has been in the airline business for over 50 years (T&T acquired BWIA in 1961), seems to have such huge problems in locating competent airline professionals.

Here is your answer....

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 23):
The HR manager needed to go as she hired unqualified people into the airline, mostly those were political appointments and family of those in power. That being said those contracts will not be renewed when they are up.

This is how developing nations have done it since statehood.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

GoAibusGo

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Latest on DAE:

The government of Curacao has definitely voted against aiding DAE financially and according to the airline's accountant H. de Windt, the airline will be out of money to operate flight by this Monday. The employees have to this day still not received their pay for the month of July.

So it seems like the end for Curacao airline Dutch Antilles Express - DAE.

source (in Dutch): http://www.antilliaansdagblad.com/lo...80/curacao/7331-game-over-voor-dae

guyanam

Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 24):

CAL will never be a "truly" Caribbean airline, in terms of routes to all parts of the Caribbean. With the fuel subsidy coming to an end, starting from next year, BW will have to focus on profitable routes.

Some intra Caribbean routes are thin. Some destinations are very lesiure oriented and small carriers like BW can only serve these markets at very low yield, due to weak brand recognition outside of the West Indian communities. Some routes are already well served by foreign carriers, BGI and ANU being examples. The fcat that BW couldnt stay on the JFK ANU route is an example of this. There is definitely a lot of demand as the 8X/week frequencies this summer and 17X projected for this winter indicates. But its heavily tourist oriented.

We will see what happens to the LGW route, whether it at least covers its operating costs, even if it cannot contribute to overheads.

We will also see where the KIN base goes. Again if it does not cover its operating costs then I cannot predict that it will remain, given that the Jca govt will not provide support and fuel subsidies will be gone soon. They have cut their Jca routes as much as they can, and I suspect have eliminated as much fixed costs on this segment as they can. So I do not know what they can do to improve the financial performance on these routes short of increasing market share and yields.

I guess a lot depends on what happens to Fly Jam. Jcans seem to like them, but it is not clear if they are financially stable yet. Guyanese are eagerly awaiting them as an alternate to BW.

And I do not think that keeping, or dropping the Air Jamaica brand will make a difference either way.

I do hope that the new management and board FINALLY develop a solid cadre of quality Caribbean aviation professionals. Its a disgrace that a region which has been doing this for 50 years seems unable to easily source talent.

andrefranca

Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 27):
We will also see where the KIN base goes. Again if it does not cover its operating costs then I cannot predict that it will remain, given that the Jca govt will not provide support and fuel subsidies will be gone soon. They have cut their Jca routes as much as they can, and I suspect have eliminated as much fixed costs on this segment as they can. So I do not know what they can do to improve the financial performance on these routes short of increasing market share and yields.

One thing that I've learned on management university, when things become "commodities" (all the same) what really makes difference is price, ok ok, maybe they already operate at their bare minimum, maybe I'm too radical but I'd go "easyjet" if other are charging for food, i'd charge it too, etc... etc... it's working on many LCC.

Before someone comes with the REDJET example, I'm not meaning that kind of prices  

guyanam

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 28):

Caribbean people dont like bare bones service. This is why FlyJ, PY. and BW offer hot meals on select routes, I believe the only carriers between the USA and the Caribbean to do so. And of course more liberal baggage policioes.

yellowtail

Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Any news on DAE?

Quoting guyanam (Reply 29):
Caribbean people dont like bare bones service.

Lots of Caribbean people fly AA. AA is pretty bare bones these days. But I would agree that the ULCC will never work in the Caribbean. That is why NK has never really grown in the region.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

guyanam

Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 30):

They fly AA because they have no choice. It is not as if the other US carriers offer service to the Caribbean which is any less bare bones. BW, PY, and FJ offer flights only to a few Caribbean destinations.

andrefranca

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:31 am

Any news on DAE?

Following the news goairbusgo posted they should be out of money (and flights) anytime soon!

Quoting guyanam (Reply 29):
Caribbean people dont like bare bones service.
Lots of Caribbean people fly AA. AA is pretty bare bones these days.

I imagine that, but I believe things will change (they're already changing) and to be honest on 99% of my flights on LI I even didn't receive a glass of water, their ops is very LCC but their prices are FAIR from being LCC.

N312RM

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:55 am

Quoting BW424 (Thread starter):
KX plans flights to PTY

KX flights to PTY commenced on June 27, with Monday and Thursday rotations and are scheduled to cease on September 2.

On a more positive note, GCM-DFW is performing exceptionally well and is now a year round service. Flights operate on Wednesday and Saturday. A third flight on Friday or Sunday, will likely be added next year.

A388

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 32):
Any news on DAE?

Following the news goairbusgo posted they should be out of money (and flights) anytime soon!

Local newspapers are saying that the employees have been paid today so that's an improvement but let's see how this will continue because time is ticking I'm guessing.

A388

jm02

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Its not just LIAT who are having problems with their fleet. Air Carïibes has had a very difficult few days. It started with engine problems on a flight from Paris to Cayenne. The A330-300 returned to Orly, where the engine was changed in around 12 hours.

Five days later, the same aircraft on route to PAP and then SDQ suffered engine problems, this time three hours in to the journey and with the other engine. The aircraft landed safely at the military airport in the Azores and passengers were put up whilst they waited for a chartered aircraft (price of the chartered aircraft 12,000€ an hour). Apparently whilst in the Azores an announcement was made that the priority of accommodation, was European passport holders and then the rest. This caused some consternation as you can imagine, with some passengers refusing to leave the airport whilst the rest stayed in hotels or at military bases (lack of hotel rooms)

Once the troubled A330 got back to Pointe-à-Pitre it continued to have problem and so Air Carïibes had to run a rescheduled service, with service only getting back to normal on the 14 August. Two weeks and many unhappy customers later.

The aircraft in question is only 7 years old, registration F-GOTO, one of five in the fleet.

more information is available at: http://www.rue89.com/2013/08/07/vol-...iorite-passeports-europeens-244807

817Dreamliiner

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Quoting JM02 (Reply 35):
The aircraft in question is only 7 years old, registration F-GOTO

F-GOTO is 4 years old not 7.

andrefranca

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:57 am

Quoting JM02 (Reply 35):

Well it happens! but I'd have a heart attack to know we're flying with only on engine across the Atlantic.

SJOtoLIR

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:23 am

CUBANA has released their planned Antonov 158 operations as follow:

Havana - Cancun: 7x weekly 320 + 7x weekly A58.
CU152.....HAV 13:30.......CUN 13:50.......Daily..........320
CU154.....HAV 17:40.......CUN 18:00.......Daily..........A58

CU 153.....CUN 14:50.......HAV 17:10.......Daily..........320
CU 155.....CUN 19:00.......HAV 21:10.......Daily..........A58
Effective: December 01st

Havana - Nassau: 4x weekly A58 replacing AT4
CU 250.....HAV 12:00........NAS 13:30......Ex Tu, Th, Sa........A58
CU 251.....NAS 14:30........HAV 16:00......Ex Tu, Th, Sa........A58
Effective: October 27th

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

A388

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:36 pm

From my older archives, here's a classic 747 arriving in Curacao:

View Large View Medium

I was lucky to catch this aircraft but unfortunately this beauty no longer flies...

A388

guyanam

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:57 pm

Quoting JM02 (Reply 35):

The issue with LIAT is not the plane break downs. These things happen.

A typical LI problem emerges when, shortly before the plane was due to arrive an announcement is made" LI flight XXX is delayed. Further information will be provided at x PM" usually 4 hours later. 4 hours comes and goes and the ground staff, often subcontractor employees themselves, get frustrated with not being further informed, and so take out their frsutrations on the passnegrs. Its almost the attitude of 'you must be an idiot to be flying LIAT in the first place". Of cours ethere is almost never any alternative. That is assuming of course that the passengers do not take out their rage on them...but I have seen ground crews making the first move in an attempt to quell any irate behavior from passengers.

LIAT management is incompetent. They disrespect both their passengers and their staff (both their own and sub contractors'). They also have no regard for islands like DOM and SVD which have invested in LI because they are almost 100% dependent, and when LI illtreats passengers it discourages tourists from visiting, once they discover that LI is their only option.

The Dominican executive provided an excellent analysis of LIAT's problems. Most people will rather a flight be delayed/canceled, if there are technical problems, as they would rather not have to swim to shore if the plane takes an unscheduled landing in the sea.

So the problem isnt the delay. It is how passengers and ground crews are kept abreast of the problem and the remedy by LIAT. Most think that the prima donas sit down in ANU with the attitude that the passengers have no choice, so who cares, and the ground and cabin crews are peons so who cares when they become targeted by passengers.

andrefranca

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:37 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 40):
LIAT management is incompetent. They disrespect both their passengers and their staff (both their own and sub contractors'). They also have no regard for islands like DOM and SVD which have invested in LI because they are almost 100% dependent, and when LI illtreats passengers it discourages tourists from visiting, once they discover that LI is their only option.

That's the thing, aviation in the caribbean is such a complicated business! but we have no other major options and without LIAT I think things would be a nightmare for the ones who need urgent transportation between the islands.

817Dreamliiner

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Just checking FR24 and noticed a KX 737 enroute to ANU. Anyone know why? Charter maybe?

http://www.flightradar24.com/CAY8020

[Edited 2013-08-22 11:10:22]

LimaFoxTango

Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 pm

V2-LIB spotted in TLS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mav31/9559087970/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Should be in ANU by month end I'm told, no specific date yet.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

817Dreamliiner

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:57 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 43):

Thanks for the update, Any word on the first ATR 42?

zkokq

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:11 am

Hi guys, looking to book a return to trip to SXM/TNCM as I left two days ago. When is the best time to go back? IE most flight in. Is it JAN/FEB?

LimaFoxTango

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:54 am

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 44):

Early Sept by the looks of it.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

817Dreamliiner

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:16 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 46):
Early Sept by the looks of it.

Thanks, hopefully i'll be able to see it on my way back to the UK on the 14th. Just hope there aren't any delivery delays.

GoAibusGo

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:44 am

More news from DAE,

Today (23-08-2013) the wet-lease with Falcon Air ended (3 MD-80s) and the lease of the ATR-72 (through NAC leasing) also ended. That leaves DAE with only 3 aircraft (2 F-100s and a ATR-42) another F-100 has it's C-check expired. According to the Curacao Airport's departure board there are only two flights today,1x SDQ and 1x AUA. With no wet-lease in place DAE can't fly to the US since Curacao is still in ICAO cat. 2.

DAE is also not allowed to fly to BON and SXM due unpaid fees and large debt.

DAE is slowly dying. But I had expected it to be dead already.

GoAibusGo

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:16 pm

An edit from my previous comment mentioned above,

I see that DAE is also flying 1 more flight to AUA, 1 combined flight to MIA / MCO and 1 PBM flight today. It seems that there is 1 MD-80 still on wet-lease from Falcon and that the other 2 MD-80 leases are terminated.
According to other news I read, the ATR-42 is also grounded, leaving the DAE fleet as 2x F-100s and 1x wet-leased MD-80 from Falcon Air (N registered).

A388 (Roger) ? hopefully can confirm this as he works at Curacao Airport.

www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos