Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LimaFoxTango

RE: Filled To The Gills - Caribbean Aviation 106

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Excerpt from Trinidad & Tobagos budget speech given today.

Quote:

Caribbean Airlines Limited

Mr. Speaker, Caribbean Airlines Limited must move towards the adoption of a financially-sound business model for positioning the airline in targeted segments of the global tourism market. The new Board of Caribbean Airlines Limited has completed the first phase of a revised Business Plan for the airline to achieve financial viability. To this end, effective October 1 2013, I propose to discontinue the fuel subsidy which the airline currently enjoys. The subsidy for the Tobago airlift will remain. These factors have been incorporated into the business plan which I expect to receive on September 17 2013. I have been assured by the Board of Caribbean Airlines Limited that the removal of the fuel subsidy will not impact the ticket pricing policy.

Should make an interesting debate here. How will this affect BW going forward? I guess this will make PM Gonsalves pretty happy.

Btw, heard a rumor about B6 starting POS next year, presumably from JFK.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

andrefranca

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 144):
Well if Brazil doesnt offer specialized shopping (i.e. unique items, like leaterwear or jewelry, not necessarily cheap items) well I do not see prospects for POS to Brazil service as T&T is not a tourist destination. CM via PTY will have to be enough. Shopping isnt the only reason why Caribbean vacation,but it is a huge motivator, though maybe Rio might offer things to do of interest, with its beaches, etc,

These days Brazil is no longer a bargain, inflation out of control (even though the president insists it's controlled), nonsense on real state price, imported goods are overtaxed as I type I look to my iphone 5 bought in MIA for 700 USD the unlocked one, here the same will cost you average 1100 USD!!!!! I mean it, and so on... as our friend yellowtail said, some people here make a living on flying into the US to shop and re-sell the goods here (IF they make thrw customs).

Quoting trintocan (Reply 147):
Wow this thread is bringing back the memories! I recall the Cruzeiro services from POS and BGI to MAO which operated between 1985 and 1988

Oh Lord, I swear that If I didn't participate on this thread I'd never even dream MAO folks once had a chance to visit BGI, don't know if they did as I've never heard of someone talking about BGI, even with the G3 GRU-BGI flights.

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 150):
I have been assured by the Board of Caribbean Airlines Limited that the removal of the fuel subsidy will not impact the ticket pricing policy.

HA-HA-HA and I'm Santa Klaus.

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:35 am

Should make an interesting debate here. How will this affect BW going forward?

It will cause BW to have to swim of face the capitlistic consequences. Now given the importance of the carrier to the economy of both T&T and Jamaica, and by extension, other pertinent regional economies, this serves as a wake up call to the airline that they must shape up. The subsidy went from being a delightful temporary privilege that would have help stablilize the airline in its formative years to a subsidy that was primarily a crotch that the airline put it's weight on. That was not the intention and the subsidy removal is welcomed.

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 145):
It was mentioned that B6 will fly to POS from next summer, and CAL will no longer get the fuel subsidy from October 1st 2013.
Now that will put an end to the LI complaint of unfair competition.

B6 entering the market will also serve to not only create healthy competition, but provide an additional prompt for CAL to get its house in order! I expect service out of JFK based on the huge size of the business and VFR market.
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

GUYAIR707

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 139):

Thanks for the correction. Flight was fantastic. Staff was extremely attentive. Sorry for the sideway pic.

GUYAIR707

yellowtail

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 151):
HA-HA-HA and I'm Santa Klaus.

yes, that was funny.

I would like to hypothesis (with no direct evidence whatsoever, but a good idea of how the new route process goes) that any B6 service to POS was conditional upon the CAL fuel subsidy being removed. I know B6 was watching the GEO events with DL and CAL very closely and for sure sent a message to the GoTT on the matter
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

andrefranca

Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 154):
I would like to hypothesis (with no direct evidence whatsoever, but a good idea of how the new route process goes) that any B6 service to POS was conditional upon the CAL fuel subsidy being removed. I know B6 was watching the GEO events with DL and CAL very closely and for sure sent a message to the GoTT on the matter

it was a really unfair competition to say the last! and I'm surprised to see B6 replacing AA in the caribbean.

A388

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:03 am

I would disagree on B6 having that much influence or power on the government of Trinidad and Tobago. Their own national airline covers the New York pretty well so do they rely need B6? I don't think so. The New York market as already said is large enough in all categories (business travel and VFR) so with B6 entering th market to be was just a matter of time so need for conditions to enter the market and certainly no push to have that fuel subsidy removed. I just don't buy that.

A388

andrefranca

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:46 am

Hi everyone, today I got a little surprised have you guys heard of these "new" airlines from Aruba? Aruba Airlines (AG) ???? online couldn't find much, they were trying to get GRU slots according to my uninformed sources.

GUYAIR707

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 145):
It was mentioned that B6 will fly to POS from next summer, and CAL will no longer get the fuel subsidy from October 1st 2013.
Now that will put an end to the LI complaint of unfair competition.

Also a new European airline will fly to TAB for the winter 2014.

As you mentioned the subsidy is off, as per this article I guess it's official. The subsidy will remain on the Tobago Airbridge.

Source: http://www.winnfm.com/business/5512-...airlines-300m-fuel-subsidy-removed

GUYAIR707

guyanam

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 pm

Mr Gonslaves will NOT be happy. He would have preferred T&T to provide the same subsidy to LI. He knows full well that LI scarcely competed against BW, and should have benefitted enormously when BW reduced service into ANU from BGI and POS. I doubt that BWs SLU POS and the GND POS routes are that damaging to LI.

Quoting BW424 (Reply 152):

I wonder about the KIN route. They have cut back service. The market isnt really growing, and they face increased competition. Much of the overhead expenses connected to the KIN base (maintenance/engineering, reservations, and ground operations) have already been slashed. BW can no longer swallow losses, so unless the KIN base is profitable I have to wonder about it. Especially in light of the increased inroads by FJ, and the demands by the Jcan govt that BW provide a minimal number of routes and capacity (which they already consider to be inadequate).

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 154):

So yellow tail if the BW subsidy is so damaging DL is back on the JFK GEO. That is their main rant in their attempt to block FJ (which does not benefit from a subsidy).

Quoting A388 (Reply 156):

I would imagine that the high fares of last summer, due to a severe shortage of seats, would have led to pressures from the Tdad travel industry for more competition on this very lucrative route.

Also the general Tdad voter probably doesnt see why BW should receive a subsdy when expenditures in other areas are greately needed.

I do agree that T&T isnt desperate for new competition for the national carrier, and so wouldnt have made that move only because B6 demanded it. But the fuel subsidy was beginning to take on a life of its own with complaints from many quarters. With recent poor management, and corruption at BW, it was increasingly difficuylt for them to continue it. Especially as the governing party has their own problems, and elections arent too far off.

caribbean484

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:36 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 159):
I wonder about the KIN route. They have cut back service. The market isnt really growing, and they face increased competition. Much of the overhead expenses connected to the KIN base (maintenance/engineering, reservations, and ground operations) have already been slashed. BW can no longer swallow losses, so unless the KIN base is profitable I have to wonder about it.

I have heard that the Jamaican operations is pulling its weight finally, and that the airline made a large operating profit for the summer to cover the loses made earlier this year. It is said the airline is going back to pre 2011 in reporting finances ex-fuel subsidy and new management is being sourced by year's end to take it forward in 2014.

They will get US$50m to finish its operational transformation and also go to the bond market to get cash in the sum of US$100m by using it's government back guarantee.

They also said they want to expand more into South America, but IMO that can work if they follow CM and EK and build a connection market through POS. That would also require POS to remake the current North Terminal.

CAL is always profitable as Captain Brunton mentioned, he left the airline with US$172m in cash, a profit of US$12m and a plan to re-fleet the narrowbody type.
All ah we is one family

2travel2know2

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 160):
They also said they want to expand more into South America, but IMO that can work if they follow CM and EK and build a connection market through POS.

Does make sense, sure they could start by increasing frequencies on POS-CCS-POS to offer immediate connections to/from MIA every day and by opening PZO before CM gets there.

Quote:
That would also require POS to remake the current North Terminal.

Does that mean allowing passengers connect from gate to gate without going thru security checks?

Letting Mileage Plus members earn miles when flying BW could also attract passengers and may be used as a promotion tool if BW wants to venture into GRU and EZE.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

b757lvr

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Quoting turk223 (Reply 128):

Hey turk223, We handled BW during those days at SLU, these are old pics ( I apologize for the quality ) My favorite is the 2nd pic, there was always an audience in place to watch that maddog tear up the runway!! landing and taking off on that flight was always pretty awesome.

[Edited 2013-09-12 09:36:20]

guyanam

Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Much of their summer success might be due to the high fares that they were able to charge out of JFK due to severe seat shortages into POS/GEO. There is tremendous push back from passengers.. With B6 entering POS (GEO is also trying to get them) will that continue? What impact is WS having on the YYZ POS route?

I am glad that the KIN ops are pulling their weight as I do not see what else they can do with them, given the extensive route and frequenvcy cuts and reduction of over head expense. They do how ever need to keep their current baggage policies, as I suspect that much of their business comes from this.

As to POS being a hub. Well Guyanese report horrendous experiences with transfers there. POS will have to figure out how to move passengers from one plane to another without leaving the secure zone, as passengers HATE endless rechecks...true not due to BW. It will be interesting to see what happens at PTY as they do transfer many passengers between South America and the USA. What ever they are doing it is working.

I remain skeptical that hubs can work unless there is decent O&D traffic between all segments. The closure of SJU is proof of that. The success of PTY is also proof of that as Panama has emerged as a major financial, and commercial hub, in addition to its role as a transfer hub.

Using POS as a hub for eastern Venezuela makes a whole lot of sense as its proximity (POS is closer than CCS) should generate much O&D travel, in addition to intransits. Maybe BW can look at IAD/BWI, which has poor connections to the southern Caribbean and northern South America. I do not know what potential Brazil offers as its economy is now slowing, and others have pointed out that it will not work as a shopping destination for people from POS/BGI/GEO. Forget about the rest of South America.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 161):

How do people flying between the USA and South America using CM intransit? Are there additional security checks? Is the transfer smoothe with minimal walking? Unless POS is as good as PTY BW will not be able to compete.

Inbound

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:04 pm

Mr Gonslaves will NOT be happy. He would have preferred T&T to provide the same subsidy to LI. He knows full well that LI scarcely competed against BW, and should have benefitted enormously when BW reduced service into ANU from BGI and POS. I doubt that BWs SLU POS and the GND POS routes are that damaging to LI.

I completely agree, G. I believe he called their bluff and it backfired big time. This was GORTT's way of saying, don't threaten us. He's probably grinding over it now.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

caribbean484

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 163):
Much of their summer success might be due to the high fares that they were able to charge out of JFK due to severe seat shortages into POS/GEO. There is tremendous push back from passengers.. With B6 entering POS (GEO is also trying to get them) will that continue? What impact is WS having on the YYZ POS route?

Well they limited capacity to only their own fleet, BW500/501 was a 738 instead of the usual 763.
In YYZ loads have not really been affected too much and it seems WS has not affected CAL too much.

As to POS being a hub. Well Guyanese report horrendous experiences with transfers there. POS will have to figure out how to move passengers from one plane to another without leaving the secure zone, as passengers HATE endless rechecks...true not due to BW. It will be interesting to see what happens at PTY as they do transfer many passengers between South America and the USA. What ever they are doing it is working.

Always have to agree, hopefully one day that can be improved greatly, but at the moment it is a requirement from the TSA.

I remain skeptical that hubs can work unless there is decent O&D traffic between all segments. The closure of SJU is proof of that. The success of PTY is also proof of that as Panama has emerged as a major financial, and commercial hub, in addition to its role as a transfer hub.

True, but with air travel increasing people are looking for the lowest fares we are seeing hubs with little o/d becoming significant transit points as per QR/ET/EK and others.

Does make sense, sure they could start by increasing frequencies on POS-CCS-POS to offer immediate connections to/from MIA every day and by opening PZO before CM gets there.

I still can't see why they don't increase to double since everyday the POS-CCS-POS are always sold out from weeks in advance.

Quoting Inbound (Reply 164):

I really don't like how the politicians do these things to build their case. He has a right to protect the company as any country would, however his case is really mooted unless CAL was at the size of LIAT in regional flying.

So now that the airline has no subsidy what is he going to blame now?
All ah we is one family

guyanam

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 165):

Gonsalves will tell T&T that they are being unfair by not investing in LI. The truth is that he thinks that T&T is the only country served by LI with pockets deep enough to guarantee LI's ability to finance its operations. Look out for him to say that the T&T loan guarantees for BW will be unfair to LI.

Barbados seems to be in deep trouble now as they force their UWI students to pay some steep fees. SKN has stated upfront that they have no money, but understand why LI needs govt support. SLU/GND seem silent on this topic.

As to the POS hub. Does BW want to play a price game with AA thru MIA, or CM through PTY? It will have to if its legs between POS and South America (aside from CCS/GEO/PBM) must be filled mainly with intransits and not some O&D. And losses will be quite significant while BW tries to educate travelers that the POS hub is viable.

If BW is looking to tap more business from South Am I suggest a focus on Venezuela for the reasons that have been cited many times. Outrageous fares being one, and capacity limitations because of the sour relations between that country and the USA.

Not sure if ET is comparable as it is one of the few stable African airlines, and with increased travel between Africa and Asia, picks up that business. Also for some intra African travel. Remember that in addition to competition from giant US carriers airlines like CM, and LATAM are quite formidable and have strong brand image in those markets.

Dont know if POS will ever be a center comparable Dubai and Doha are so those examples arent comparable either.

Of course it will be interesting to find out what happens to US bound intransits at PTY, because if their experience is better than similar passengers flying via POS than PTY will be preferred over POS, especially as I dont get the impression that these South American routes are especially price sensitive. They are brand and quality sensitive as much of this travel is by the more upscale segment.

2travel2know2

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Financial and Commercial hub, Panama O/D traffic except for selected CM routes (MIA, some Colombian, Venezuelan, maybe SJO and SDQ) is still minimal.

How do people flying between the USA and South America using CM intransit? Are there additional security checks? Is the transfer smoothe with minimal walking? Unless POS is as good as PTY BW will not be able to compete.

All arriving passengers disembark into the Duty-Free in-transit secure area.
However, all passengers bound to U.S. and SJU do have their hand-luggage search (again if starting journey in PTY) before boarding.
Haven't seen that done to European or Canadian bound passengers but it could happen to them too.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 166):
If BW is looking to tap more business from South Am I suggest a focus on Venezuela for the reasons that have been cited many times. Outrageous fares being one, and capacity limitations because of the sour relations between that country and the USA.

Venezuela for the reasons mentioned, totally agree.
But I'd dare to say GRU and EZE because the sheer size of those markets.
Add to that Argentina has been too restrictive when it comes to allowing airlines already flying over-there increased frequencies to cover the demand (CM could tell you some stories). If T&T already got any authorised frequencies to EZE, BW should grab them. Traffic between Argentina and MIA/JFK/YYZ/CCS may alone sustain a POS-EZE.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:01 am

How do people flying between the USA and South America using CM intransit? Are there additional security checks? Is the transfer smoothe with minimal walking?

It is really smooth. Almost like a little DXB...right 2Travel?

BW424
Topic Author

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:04 am

I have heard that the Jamaican operations is pulling its weight finally, and that the airline made a large operating profit for the summer to cover the loses made earlier this year. It is said the airline is going back to pre 2011 in reporting finances ex-fuel subsidy and new management is being sourced by year's end to take it forward in 2014.

They will get US$50m to finish its operational transformation and also go to the bond market to get cash in the sum of US$100m by using it's government back guarantee.

They also said they want to expand more into South America, but IMO that can work if they follow CM and EK and build a connection market through POS. That would also require POS to remake the current North Terminal.

CAL is always profitable as Captain Brunton mentioned, he left the airline with US$172m in cash, a profit of US$12m and a plan to re-fleet the narrowbody type.

Finally.......some sense coming back to the carrier. I still feel like we're re-inventing the wheel once again, but at least some sensible moves are finally being made. Let's hope that the airline is able to stabilize itself before the 2015 general elections. One thing I'm concerned about is the fact that the leases for the narrowbody fleet all expire in 2015, the election year. Just like the snap election in 2010 that caused BW to lose out on a sweet Boeing B737NG deal and the development of a cash cow ATR MRO, I certainly hope this can be avoided come 2015.

POS-CCS as we all know is one of CAL's most lucrative routes. However, I do not think that it is easy as just adding frequencies. The INAC is extremely political.

As for CM, they will get there before BW IMO; and that is even if BW gets there within the next 5 years. CM is just too good at what they do (and deservedly so). Their critical mass and continued expansion into North America will make them a much much more attractive option than BW.

BW can no longer swallow losses, so unless the KIN base is profitable I have to wonder about it. Especially in light of the increased inroads by FJ, and the demands by the Jcan govt that BW provide a minimal number of routes and capacity

Well, as I stated many times; initial intent was brilliant with the best business minds hammering out the deal. However, due to the politics of massively insecure egos, the deal went sour. Surprisingly, BW has been doing fair enough in KIN and hopefully with measured and visionary management from hence forth, the KIN base should be even more profitable than the POS base. That was Lok Jack's master-plan objective.

One thing I'm waiting on is the announcement of a SINGLE BRAND. This is of utmost importance for the airline to move forward. Livery standardization is also desperately needed. It is totally unacceptable to have your fleet in 4 different variations..........BW livery, JM livery, JM livery with BW titles, and BW white tail livery......very very poor.

turk223

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:14 am

Quoting b757lvr (Reply 162):
Hey turk223, We handled BW during those days at SLU, these are old pics ( I apologize for the quality ) My favorite is the 2nd pic, there was always an audience in place to watch that maddog tear up the runway!! landing and taking off on that flight was always pretty awesome.

Sweet photos! I just cannot believe the MD fitting on the ramp at Vigie!

BW424
Topic Author

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:16 am

It is pretty effortless. I was fortunate enough to try their product on POS-PTY-MIA in July of this year. Basically, NO ONE's final destination on the E-190 POS-PTY leg was PTY. Everyone was connecting and the FAs announced all respective gates for connections. It's pretty much identical to transiting on a US domestic trip.

As for the security checks, they did have a small scanner at my PTY-MIA gate to just scan your hand luggage. Besides that; a really efficient operation. CM's philosophy and the simultaneous infrastructural expansion of PTY ahead of the curve with the expectation of CM's continued growth sometimes makes me wish I was Panamanian...lol

turk223

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:17 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 168):
How do people flying between the USA and South America using CM intransit? Are there additional security checks? Is the transfer smoothe with minimal walking?

Have done PTY connections a lot over the last few years - smooth as glass and never had a problem. Just walk from one plne to the other... If you're going to the U.S. there is a luggage check at the gate. Otherwise, nothing to worry about. Now, if they would just start BGI flights, I'd be the happiest guy around.

2travel2know2

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:35 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 169):
POS-CCS as we all know is one of CAL's most lucrative routes. However, I do not think that it is easy as just adding frequencies. The INAC is extremely political.

Venezuela may still see T&T with the same eyes it sees AUA and CUR, so IMHO, if any regional airline has a good shoot to get extra frequencies to CCS, one of those could actually be BW. Add to that that pretty sure BW could apply for KIN-CCS and get it.
The loads of MIA-POS-CCS and MIA/FLL-KIN-CCS may surprise more than one in this forum.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

Avianca

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:18 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 65):
The island can have two local airlines competing with each other because their largest market is Venezuela and not the island itself. In that regard it is possible to have two local airlines here. The problem was as is said expansion that was going too fast. A more gradual expansion might have been better.
I still can't see why they don't increase to double since everyday the POS-CCS-POS are always sold out from weeks in advance.

the big issue is that the carriers are not getting out their money of Venezuela. Cadivi ows the international airlines already more thatn 2.000 Million USD. Sure CCS is in the books for many carriers the most profitable route ... but if you cannot get out your money, and the money is only in the books....

Right now the carriers are even reducing capacity into Venezuela due to that not minorr issue...
Carriers like AV reduced CCS in capacity by flying now 2 daily with a318 and 1 daily 330... also they placed an embargo and tickets ticketed in VE can be only booked maximum with 1 month in advance, instead of the standar 11 months.

cheers
Avianca
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

817Dreamliiner

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:51 am

The first Liat ATR 42-600 has been delivered, should be on it way right now. It will probably reach by Sunday or Monday. Sad though, gonna miss it.
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

guyanam

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:37 pm

From an aesthetic point of view an entire fleet with the same logo makes sense. I do not know how that will affect business as I do not think that most passengers care one way or the other. Though I agree that half painted planes do not inspire confidence.

I would much rather they invest those funds in over hauling some of their aircraft, which various trip reports on this site describe as being some what shabby. And indeed, given that people spend more time watching the interior of these planes, than the exterior, having a standard, and aesthetically pleasing interior is more of a priority.

And while they are at it, my pet peeve. That purple. People associate the Caribbean and its peoples with color. Indeed almost all of BWs promotional materials feature color. So all they need to do is to replace that purple with the bouganvillea red that BWIA used to have.

In addition BW needs to look at the morale of their staff. Some assert that in recent months the standard of service provided by cabin crews, even in business class, has been strikingly inconsistent.

And their ground service is often abysmal. Compare comments made about CM, with what many will say about BW, especially at JFK, which has long been a problem.

So BW needs to take a look at their operations from a passenger perspective, because it is clear that their days of being a quasi monopoly on a few key routes is over.

Quoting turk223 (Reply 172):

Well most who intransit thru POS do not describe it as "smooth". So I suggest that POS fix its problems before BW imagines that they can make it into a major hub. This is exactly why I remain skeptical of BW using POS as a hub to compete with PY to get USA/South American business. If CM provides excellent service why will people select an unknown airline which operates out of an inefficient hub?

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 173):

Well it doesnt make sense for BW to increase its business out of Venezuela if the cash remains trapped there. Note Avianca's comments.

Quoting BW424 (Reply 171):

Unfortunately BW has a completely different attiotude to intransits at POS. Cabin crews disappear. Grouchy ground crews and haughty airport officials appear. Expensive duty free Guyanese premium rum seized. This is why BW is flying nonstops to YYZ from GEO.

A388

Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:10 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 174):
Quoting A388 (Reply 65):
The island can have two local airlines competing with each other because their largest market is Venezuela and not the island itself. In that regard it is possible to have two local airlines here. The problem was as is said expansion that was going too fast. A more gradual expansion might have been better.

the big issue is that the carriers are not getting out their money of Venezuela. Cadivi ows the international airlines already more thatn 2.000 Million USD. Sure CCS is in the books for many carriers the most profitable route ... but if you cannot get out your money, and the money is only in the books....

Yes, the Cadivi is a big problem for airlines serving Venezuela. Even DAE had quite an amount of money still stuck in Venezuela that it hasn't gotten back yet.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 176):
Quoting turk223 (Reply 172):

Well most who intransit thru POS do not describe it as "smooth". So I suggest that POS fix its problems before BW imagines that they can make it into a major hub. This is exactly why I remain skeptical of BW using POS as a hub to compete with PY to get USA/South American business. If CM provides excellent service why will people select an unknown airline which operates out of an inefficient hub?

Another factor that will influence any success of POS becoming a hub as PTY, DXB, SIN and other have become is the geographical location. POS isn't ideally located to serve as a transit point between North America and South America. Airports like PTY, DXB and SIN are. CUR would be a much better transfer point between North America and South America as it is geographically much favorably located. Who knows some time in the (near) future...  

A388

guyanam

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 177):

Agreed. POS is too far east so only can work for Brazil (which is already well served through GRU) and Argentina. POS gets all that it can from GEO and PBM. As we see Venezuela poses problems.

andrefranca

Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:04 pm

Quoting Avianca (Reply 174):
Right now the carriers are even reducing capacity into Venezuela due to that not minorr issue...
Carriers like AV reduced CCS in capacity by flying now 2 daily with a318 and 1 daily 330... also they placed an embargo and tickets ticketed in VE can be only booked maximum with 1 month in advance, instead of the standar 11 months.

It's incredible how Venezuela and Argentina don't stop popping with more and more scary dictator decisions damaging everyone except their own carriers. I'm also aware the venezuelan traveler can't change nor refund its ticket outside Venezuela, only the travel agency that issued the ticket can change it.

Avianca

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:43 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 179):
I'm also aware the venezuelan traveler can't change nor refund its ticket outside Venezuela, only the travel agency that issued the ticket can change it.

well, not that I am suporting all that stuff... but it makes sense that you get refunded by hard currency - when you used toilett paper money to get the ticket...

Today INAC anounced that they will regulate the international airfares... this with CADIVI in place will mean, that shortly most carriers are gone from VE.
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

SJOtoLIR

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 157):
I got a little surprised have you guys heard of these "new" airlines from Aruba? Aruba Airlines (AG)

Aruba Airlines is already promoting the Panama City service:

AG 301 AUA 10:30......PTY 11:30.......Th, Su.....320
AG 302 PTY 13:00......AUA 16:00........Th, Su....320
Effective: unknown
Source: arubaairlines.com
Disclaimer: the schedule is not loaded yet at amadeus.net

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

andrefranca

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 181):

Thanks a lot for the info, I can't open their page don't know why!

Isn't it too risky for an start up airlines to fly to Venezuela, after what was said here? and to fight with CM on the route.... if the rumors are true GRU can be a strong market and I'M SURE MAO tour operators would be more than happy to sell AUA tio Acram tour operator here had already chartered PY planes to fly to AUA or PMV.

LimaFoxTango

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:16 pm

LIAT CEO Ian Brunton calls it quits

ST JOHN’S, Antigua – LIAT Chief Executive Officer Ian Brunton has handed in his resignation from the embattled and cash strapped airline after what in his own words was a “disastrous summer” for the Antigua based carrier.
OBSERVER media was yesterday unable to reach Brunton, who is yet to speak publicly on his decision, but Prime Minister of shareholder St Vincent & the Grenadines Ralph Gonsalves confirmed the news.
“I have been advised that he has given notice because under the contract I think he has to give three months notice,” Gonsalves said.
“I haven’t spoken to Ian … I like to see Caribbean professionals stick to things (but) at the same time none of us is indispensable.”
OBSERVER media understands the resignation was delivered last week and the LIAT Board of Directors is to meet this Wednesday to make a decision on whether to accept it or not.
Gonsalves commended Brunton for making a good contribution to LIAT and said it would be hard to find a replacement if the resignation is accepted.
“If for whatever reason he wants to go we will get someone else…it’s not always easy to get somebody to fill those kinds of positions because a lot of people talk but it’s a very critical job.”
“We will see how that goes, I haven’t spoken to the (LIAT) Chairman Jean Holder either who is outside the Caribbean, but I have been advised that he has given notice.”
The St Vincent & the Grenadines Prime Minister refused to say whether as the head of a shareholder government he will accept the board’s decision on Brunton’s resignation.
LIAT’s three main shareholder governments are Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados and St Vincent & the Grenadines.
Brunton, a former chief executive of Trinidad & Tobago state owned Caribbean Airlines Ltd (CAL) was appointed CEO of the Antigua-based Leeward Island Air Transport (LIAT) on August 1, 2012.
His appointment came during a period of massive sustained losses for the airline – a combined amount of almost EC $80 million in losses from 2010 – and a deficit of around EC $344 million by the end of 2012.
Brunton has been leading a US $100 million re-fleeting process from ageing Dash-8 aircraft to ATR’s – which is designed to help move the airline back into profit by lowering maintenance and fuel costs.
The captain is reportedly highly regarded as the best man for the job and was the stand out candidate when he took over in August 2012.
The CEO has over 50 years’ experience as a pilot, starting his career in the Royal Air Force flying military jets, before moving to commercial airplanes at the former BWIA.
Gonsalves, speaking on OBSERVER Radio’s Big Issues programme, said he believes the Caribbean airline will recover if Brunton leaves.
“We have had our challenges in the past, and we have come through.”
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

guyanam

Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:31 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 183):

Oh well he did say that LIAT was a huge problem to manage.

yellowtail

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:55 pm

I wish someone would just have the guts to get in there, take the heat and fix the dang airline.

I find that many of us in the Caribbean, being pacifists, hate confrontation. We prefer to move on than stand and fight. We hat e hard decisions or we procrastinate on the hard decisions till it is too late.

I find this throughout my work in the Caribbean .... "don't worry....bout a ting".

2travel2know2

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:41 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 176):
Well it doesnt make sense for BW to increase its business out of Venezuela if the cash remains trapped there. Note Avianca's comments.

Totally agree.
BW spending too much on LGW route    to venture into adding more flights to Venezuela and waiting to get its money out of there.
But I'd guess CM people may be getting creative and checking ways to try to do something with all its cash they got in Venezuela.

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 181):
Aruba Airlines is already promoting the Panama City service:

AG 301 AUA 10:30......PTY 11:30.......Th, Su.....320
AG 302 PTY 13:00......AUA 16:00........Th, Su....320
Effective: unknown
Source: arubaairlines.com
Disclaimer: the schedule is not loaded yet at amadeus.net

Unless they got seat sold to operators already, why fly to CM fortress? The days of possible extra CM PTY-AUA frequencies could well be around the corner.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 183):
LIAT CEO Ian Brunton calls it quits

The politicking and the bad operational rapport over the past few months may have accelerated his resignation. Caribbean aviation is one hell of a sector.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 186):
BW spending too much on LGW route  

You said it!! That needs to be axed ASAP.

On another note, B6 will begin service to POS from both JFK and FLL!!! JFK service starts Feb. 24th, 2014 with a daily A320 and FLL-POS starts May 1st also with a daily A320.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jetblu...unces-non-stop-fort-100000538.html

Now this is REAL competition for BW. Very healthy for the market and it seems B6 isn't shy on its entry into POS with daily A320 services from two different destinations.

yellowtail

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:48 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 186):
But I'd guess CM people may be getting creative and checking ways to try to do something with all its cash they got in Venezuela.

I would say most of CMs Venezuela traffic sales are booked out side of Venezuela. And they probably buy as much fuel as possible there to ensure they burn that cash. Tank up baby!

Quoting BW424 (Reply 187):
Now this is REAL competition for BW. Very healthy for the market and it seems B6 isn't shy on its entry into POS with daily A320 services from two different destinations.

It is what you call...ALL IN

2travel2know2

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:51 am

You said it!! That needs to be axed ASAP.

BW should get VS to fly to POS and code-share or code-share with BA. Problem solved.

With B6 on those routes, the days of the slim (thin) cows for BW POS-Florida/NYC flights are coming soon.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:55 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 188):
It is what you call...ALL IN

LOL...I guess...both markets are very mature so no reason to penetrate with a less than daily service on an E190.

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 189):
BW should get VS to fly to POS and code-share or code-share with BA. Problem solved.

Well, the problem was already solved in 2007. BA was courted by the then well managed BW and GORTT to do the LGW route albeit via BGI at first and now UVF. BA offers more than enough capacity on the route and should BW axe it, it will be a simple increase to daily for BA to cover any excess capacity.

A388

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Hello here's on overview of my latest photos in the database, including Jamaica:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter - Curacao Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

During my business trip in Jamaica:

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Cheers,

A388

guyanam

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:30 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 185):

Maybe Brunton got tired of Ralph Gonsalves who has an opinion on every thing and is not inclined to listen.

817Dreamliiner

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 191):

Great photos A388! Im still trying to get my next photos here, it doesn't help much when you only have a queue limit of 2 photos.

I havent posted here in this thread for a while (was busy with the first flights of the Cseries and the 787-9), but im now back in the UK to start another year of uni. Was finally able to see Liat's new ATRs, V2-LIA and LIC. ANU was pretty much packed on Saturday. Here's an idea of how packed it was:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3800/9788666234_05752510e7_b.jpg
P1010312 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

There was even a UA 737-900ER (not sure how often they send them to ANU)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7297/9788719486_62b8aff6c2_b.jpg
P1010306 by 817Dreamliiner, on Flickr

Will post a trip report in a few days or so. It will include some photos from the 'other side' of Montserrat.
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

guyanam

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 189):

BW already tried to get VS in, when they were negotiating the joint code to LGW in 2006/7. I dont think that they are that interested, especially with BA on that route. POS isnt a leisure destination.

A388

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 193):

Great photos A388! Im still trying to get my next photos here, it doesn't help much when you only have a queue limit of 2 photos.

I havent posted here in this thread for a while (was busy with the first flights of the Cseries and the 787-9), but im now back in the UK to start another year of uni. Was finally able to see Liat's new ATRs, V2-LIA and LIC. ANU was pretty much packed on Saturday. Here's an idea of how packed it was:

Nice pictures man!!! It's always nice to see photos of other airports.That UA 739 photo might even be a candidate for uploading to the website after some editing. The floor in front of the aircraft (I think that's part of the building you are in) might be seen as obstruction but one never knows. It has the same color as the ramp pavement so it can also be good.

Cheers,

A388

817Dreamliiner

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 195):
Nice pictures man!!! It's always nice to see photos of other airports.

Thanks alot A388!

Quoting A388 (Reply 195):
That UA 739 photo might even be a candidate for uploading to the website after some editing. The floor in front of the aircraft (I think that's part of the building you are in) might be seen as obstruction but one never knows. It has the same color as the ramp pavement so it can also be good.

I think so as well, I did try to edit it but for some reason it didnt come out how I wanted it to. And yes that is part of the terminal, its actually the roof of ground level departure lounge, The photo was taken from the upper level.

BW424
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 194):
BW already tried to get VS in, when they were negotiating the joint code to LGW in 2006/7. I dont think that they are that interested, especially with BA on that route. POS isnt a leisure destination.

I think you're misunderstood. When BW went out to get a replacement for itself on the London-POS route, they invited both BA and VS. BA won the bid offering 5 million pounds for BW's LHR slots and a guaranteed direct LGW flight via BGI. VS offered double the cash amount, but didn't want to fly to POS. So BW weren't trying to get VS with BA already on the route. It was one or the other.

That said, the LGW BA replacement initially started off with a BW codeshare. That deal expired in early 2010 and BA decided they did not want to renew it with BW, possibly because the route was more than sustainable without BW's help.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 193):

Very nice shots guys. Thank you for sharing them!

andrefranca

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:15 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 192):
Maybe Brunton got tired of Ralph Gonsalves who has an opinion on every thing and is not inclined to listen.

I pretty much have the idea that Caribbean airline industry at the moment can't and won't flourish if the local GOV's don't stop putting their fingers here and there.

Before someone reminds me, I know they have GOV's as shareholders.

[Edited 2013-09-18 16:19:12]

guyanam

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 197):

Yes that was my point. VS and BA were both approached. BA was interested and did start POS LGW. VS just wanted the LHR slot. but had no interest in POS.

So I do not think that BW approaching VS at this time to do a code share, as someone queried, will result in anything. BA is already there, so market conditions will be even less favorable for VS than when the choice was BA or VS. So BW will have to either decide to keep LGW, or to relinquish all possibility of deriving revenue on that route. I agree that it makes no sense if the route is not covering its marginal operating costs.

Are there rumors of any changes with LGW? I guess if the axe must fall on a route it will be that one. Long distance, gas guzzling and with high crew expenses due to extensive lay overs. The POS LGW route isnt large so there is probably little upside with this route if it isnt already working. GEO adds very little feed.

In any case B6 will keep BW hopping on the JFK/FLL to POS next year. This will definitely impact yields, and maybe even loads. Every time a carrier enters the market, or starts a new route, AA seems to be able to replace passengers lost with new ones as their loads seem to remain high. You will obviously know more on that subject.

The 767s seem to have setlled into the JFK GEO so I dont know about these planes being sent back. Maybe one of them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos