View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter - Curacao Aviation Photography

Cheers,

A388

GUYAIR707

RE: Filled To The Gills - Caribbean Aviation 106

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Final report of CAL 523 is done, but will be released by Transport Minister.

Source: http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/...r-caused--CAL-crash-224514011.html

GUYAIR707

andrefranca

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 201):

I do not remember what happened to the pilots?

GUYAIR707

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 202):

Someone on this site said the pilot was reassigned within CAL and the copilot has moved on or the other way around.

Anyone in the know, I am getting BW530 from CAL frequent flyer as GEO-TAB-JFK and they're saying it has a 45 minute stop in TAB. I cannot find it on their website schedule but it is bookable on their website. The return BW531 on Saturday it shows as a nonstop on the 738.

GUYAIR707

[Edited 2013-09-20 16:07:28]

817Dreamliiner

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:30 pm

My trip report is finally up:

From The Warmth To The Cold: Virgin And SVG Air (by 817Dreamliiner Sep 22 2013 in Trip Reports)
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

Inbound

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 203):
Anyone in the know, I am getting BW530 from CAL frequent flyer as GEO-TAB-JFK and they're saying it has a 45 minute stop in TAB. I cannot find it on their website schedule but it is bookable on their website. The return BW531 on Saturday it shows as a nonstop on the 738.

Yeah, this is just a temporary 737 operation as the 767s will be down for heavy maintenance (C Checks) over the next couple months - one at a time.
That stop in TAB is basically a fuel stop, so it will be a very short stay. Due to route characteristics and aircraft performance, a fuel stop is not required southbound.
Great if you're a fan of take offs and landings  
Maintain own separation with terrain!

GUYAIR707

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Quoting Inbound (Reply 205):

I am, and I have never been to TAB so will book it next month. Thanks for the info.

GUYAIR707

andrefranca

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 206):
I am, and I have never been to TAB so will book it next month. Thanks for the info.

You'll enjoy the landing in TAB, if it's daylight I mean.

Anyone more info on Brunton's resignation?

guyanam

Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 203):

Thats why BW will ahve to keep at least one 767, if it drops LGW as they will have to keep GEO JFK nonstops. Doesnt matter as much in soft periods like Sept/Oct. Or on the GEO YYZ where the main point is to avoiod plane change at POS.

I guess you heard that TravelSpan will be back, for that price sensitive end of the market which needs them.

GUYAIR707

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:58 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 208):

Yes it was in the newspapers in Guyana, the owner says he is starting with a 767. I hope it works out better for him than the last time. FlyJam is making news with their end of September start up date. I will try them once they start, not so sure I will be flying Travelspan.

BW is not going to place a 763 in Guyana so I am not sure what their motive was with their 5th freedom application. In addition, it was mentioned that the fuel savings flying to POS was worth the empty a/c POS-GEO. Without the fuel subsidy maybe things are different, although is was mentioned here that BW may be "subsidized" in other ways. We will see.

GUYAIR707

guyanam

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:21 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 209):

delta was just engaging in scare tactics as they wish to initimidate Guyana to caving into their demands, what ever they were, and clearly were not about the fuel seubsidy, though this was used as an excuse in their attempt to block FJ.

TS is for the low end of the market. The ones who have the time to scream when service is suddenly canceled as a charter airline has the right to do. To the credit of TS I do not think that they will strand passengers, but offering a refund, or seats on another airline at an additional cost, if/when they withdraw, is not what business travelers like yourself wish.

FJ seems to be attempting to bring back the pleasure in traveling. With all that their crews have to do inflight, there will be a high crew/passenger interface and I am sure that they have selected the young and enthusiastic types.

I hope that the US DOT sees sense and allows them to offer nonstops GEO JFK. Even if B6 has designs on GEO they are well equipped to compete, so do not have to resort to these tactics, especially with the fuel subsidy gone.

I feel confident that added competition on BWs lucrative JFK POS/GEO routes will result in higher levels of service at decent fares as they will wish to keep most of their market share. Indeed passengers' perceptions of BW might even improve if they feel that they have a choice and are not forced to use them.

A388

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:13 pm

Guys,

This past Tuesday the 747-8 made its first appearance in Curacao, it was a night fuel stop of Cargolux. I went inside and walked around the aircraft and what a huge aircraft it is!!! The cockpit is just fantastic with the large screens, just awesome. Of course I took some photos. Once screened and accepted in the database, I will put the photo links here.

Cheers,

A388

817Dreamliiner

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 211):

How cool! Cant wait to see your photos. I've yet to spot a 747-8. Hopefully one will show up at MAN  
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

A388

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 212):
Quoting A388 (Reply 211):

How cool! Cant wait to see your photos. I've yet to spot a 747-8. Hopefully one will show up at MAN

It is a very cool aircraft indeed 

So far I have been lucky to see the 747-8 of Atlas Air, Lufthansa and now Cargolux.

A388

A388

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:50 am

Sorry I forgot to add Cathay Pacific Cargo to that 747-8 list 

Cheers,

A388

caribbean484

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:07 am

Has been quiet here for some time, yesterday the USDOT denied CAL and FlyJamaica 7th freedom rights beyween JFK-GEO. So it seems that CAL will have to continue with the POS-GEO-JFK route as the DOT saw no evidence the public will benefit from what is already happening.

Caribbean buoyed by UK sales resurgence
"New resorts, extra flight capacity and interest in lesser-known islands is fuelling a resurgence in sales to the Caribbean.

Carol Hay, the Caribbean Tourism Organisation’s marketing director for the UK and Europe, said 2013 was already looking more positive than last year, when sales declined due to rising APD and the weak UK economy.

Seven new resorts are due to open across the Caribbean, and Hay said demand was growing for off-the-beaten-track destinations such as Montserrat, Curacao, Belize and Puerto Rico."
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl...buoyed-by-uk-sales-resurgence.html
All ah we is one family

yellowtail

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:59 am

I would hardly call Puerto Rico off the beaten track  
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

guyanam

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:06 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 216):

From the point of view of a Caribbean tourism executive in the UK Puerto Rico is off the beaten track. BA recently canceled service, so to get to SJU one must fly via MIA. Even SKB gets 2X from LGW on BA. SXM is accessable via PAR or AMS. SJU doesnt have any scheduled service from any where in Europe.

A388

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:19 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 217):
From the point of view of a Caribbean tourism executive in the UK Puerto Rico is off the beaten track. BA recently canceled service, so to get to SJU one must fly via MIA. Even SKB gets 2X from LGW on BA. SXM is accessable via PAR or AMS. SJU doesnt have any scheduled service from any where in Europe.

Even though SJU doesn't have any direct flights from Europe anymore, with the multiple daily flights from London to MIA and multiple daily nonstop flights from MIA to SJU, SJU is still relatively easy to go to from London. This is even better compared to 2x LGW to SKB.

A388

2travel2know2

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 217):
SJU doesnt have any scheduled service from any where in Europe.

And still there's a market for at least twice weekly MAD-SJU.
Via SXM in- and out- may and stop in TFS (for A319 ETOPS180) might just make that route more interesting.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

guyanam

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:14 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 218):

I really dont know how you can claim that a British tourist will find flying to MIA or
JFK and then on to SJU, AFTER having to go through US customs and immigration easier than jumping on a plane at LGW to ANU, waiting 1 hour intransit, and then arriving in SKB in about 20 minutes.

TOTAL travel time to SKB, including the ANU stop, is under 10 hours. TOTAL flying time to SJU over 14 hours. And this includes some break neck intransit times at JFK/MIA, so might actually be more for some one who doesnt want an anxious trip.

Remember that some of these leisure travelers are with young kids (are we there yet?) and often have more bags than a business traveler so will appreciate a shorter trip and no0 transfers. So multiple flights per day doesnt interest them. 2X is perfetly fine as most are there for 7-10 days.

Of the Caribbesn destinations with decent sized tourist industries SJU is one of the most remot6e, and maybe costly, to get to from the UK. Maybe EIS offers a similar hassle. Hence the description by an executive who is charged to promote the Caribbean as a destination from the UK, that SJU is a backwater. For her UK based clients it is. And remember that her role is LEISURE tourists and not business travelers, who will more appreciate the multiple choices, even though it will require inconvenient intransits and a longer trip.

[Edited 2013-10-02 13:15:30]

andrefranca

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:20 am

These days nothing really going on here or in the skies! I found this! I'd like to see some opinions.

Quote:
CAL’s poor selection of aircraft
IAN LAMBIE Wednesday, September 18 2013

Is the ATR 72-600 the most suitable aircraft for the Trinidad/ Tobago airbridge?

Earlier this year, Caribbean Airlines replaced its fleet of five 48 passenger Dash 8 Q300s with five 68 passenger ATR 72-600s. The Dash 8s had performed extremely well but were too small to accommodate the increasing number of passengers on the route.

In September, 2007, having obtained the opinions of four airline pilots, I wrote to the then Minister of Works and Transport, the Honourable Colm Imbert, suggesting that consideration be given to acquiring the 78 seater Bombardier Dash 8 Q-400 to replace the Dash 8-300, not only for use on the airbridge, but also to operate to other Caribbean destinations, to Guyana and to Caracas.

The Dash 8-400 is powered by two Pratt and Whitney turboprop engines each delivering 5071 “shaft horse power”, and has a cruising speed of 414 miles per hour. With a flying range of 1567 miles, the Dash 8-400 is capable of flying to Jamaica (1190.5 miles) with a full load of passengers and their baggage.

The ATR 72 –600 is also powered by two Pratt and Whitney turboprop engines but with each delivering only 2750 “shaft horse power”, half that of the Dash Q-400, and with its flying range of only 823 miles, is incapable of flying to Jamaica non-stop. Its cruising speed is only 240 miles per hour. (Above information from the internet).

The ATR 72-600 cannot accommodate a full load of passengers with their luggage and on occasions an empty plane has had to be flown to Guyana, Caracas and even to nearby Grenada to take or to collect the luggage which the ATR 72-600 could not carry. (LIAT passengers complaints reported in the media). CAL has resolved this problem by using a “cargo” aircraft to carry passengers luggage. This at additional cost to the airline.

With respect to Flight Crew Training; the pilots of Caribbean Airlines were already trained in flying the Dash 8s and would have been required to spend a maximum of five days off the flight roaster to qualify to fly the Q-400, and only three days off the roster for refresher training in Canada every six months.

Also, Caribbean Airlines was already in possession of regularly used spare parts for the Dash 8s and the maintenance personnel were familiar with Dash 8s and would have required minimum training for the Q-400.

With respect to the ATR 72, the pilots required six weeks off the roster while receiving the initial training in Toulouse, France, to qualify to fly this new aircraft, and would require at least ten days off, for refresher training in France, every six months.

Aircraft are expensive and most small airlines cannot afford to make cash payments for new aircraft. By leasing aircraft, an airline is able to access newer aircraft whenever required.

Many of the aircraft now flying are not owned by the respective airlines but are on lease from an aircraft leasing company. Airlines which have a mixture of owned and leased aircraft in their respective fleets include British Airways, American Airlines, United, Air France, Delta, Air Canada, and Korean Air, to name a few.

But not so with Caribbean Airlines. To compound its poor selection of aircraft, CAL made a cash purchase of nine ATR 72-600s. Why were these aircraft not leased?

CAL then took delivery of only five of these aircraft. Why were nine aircraft purchased when only five were required? What became of the other four aircraft? Remember that it was taxpayers’ money being spent.

The ATR 72-600 costs US $19 million each (newspaper reports stated that US$200 million was paid for the five aircraft). The cost of a Dash 8 Q-400 is between US $21 million and US $28 million each, depending on the configuration requested by the purchaser. Bombardier offered to reduce their price to US $19.7 to be more competitive.

The Lok Jack Board had demitted office in May 2010 and Captain Ian Brunton who was the CEO of Caribbean Airlines when the ATR’s were purchased, is now the CEO of LIAT (at the time of writing this column) which coincidentally has also selected the ATR 72-600 to replace its Dash 8 fleet.

However, LIAT sensibly decided to lease and not to purchase these aircraft.

Which aircraft would you have selected for use by CAL, the ATR 72-600 with all its limitations in range, speed, and luggage-carrying capacity, or the Dash 8-Q400?

Would you have leased or purchase the aircraft selected? Having purchased and not leased the ATRs, we are now stuck with them.

I do not consider myself qualified to select suitable aircraft for use on the airbridge and hence I sought the opinions of four airline captains each having many years of flying experience.

The technical information was extracted from the internet.

Source: http://www.newsday.co.tt/editorial/0,183820.html

2travel2know2

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:38 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 221):
CAL’s poor selection of aircraft

When a government-own airline is managed by politicians or their friends but not by aviation professionals, things like that are bound to happen.. just my   
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:42 am

2travel2know2, CAL didn't make a poor decision by chosing the ATR Next Gen. The ATR is the preferred aircraft in the regional turboprop market. Why do you think LIAT went for the ATR and not the Dash 8? Why do you think the Q400 lost out to ATR on Avianca's order? The Q400 had its days numbered too. The person who wrote that article clearly is against CAL and the ATR. The ATR Next Gen is cheaper than the older Q400 as pet that article while it is more advanced.

A388

BW424
Topic Author

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:31 am

Source: http://www.newsday.co.tt/editorial/0....html

Laughable at best. While the operational experience of four airline captains may offer a wealth of technical knowledge and awesome stories, that does not fully qualify them to know what is the best aircraft type for an airline's route network. We all know that there are many variables that come into play with the tedious selection process of a new type for fleet renewal. I would also say that these pilots (like most), base their assertions purely on personal preference and try to disguise their opinion under the cloak of business sense.

As for this Ian Lambie, it seems he is just as ignorant as anyone else writing articles for this paper and others with respect to all the factors leading up to the financial demise of the new BW.

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 215):
Has been quiet here for some time, yesterday the USDOT denied CAL and FlyJamaica 7th freedom rights beyween JFK-GEO. So it seems that CAL will have to continue with the POS-GEO-JFK route as the DOT saw no evidence the public will benefit from what is already happening.

I'm still anxiously awaiting the relevation of the new turnaround plan for BW.
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

caribbean484

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:50 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 222):
When a government-own airline is managed by politicians or their friends but not by aviation professionals, things like that are bound to happen.. just my

Wrong on that part and this:

Quoting A388 (Reply 223):
2travel2know2, CAL didn't make a poor decision by chosing the ATR Next Gen. The ATR is the preferred aircraft in the regional turboprop market. Why do you think LIAT went for the ATR and not the Dash 8? Why do you think the Q400 lost out to ATR on Avianca's order?

I can say the process took 2 years to complete with international and local experts making a decision based on the answers of RFP that they got from Bombardier and ATR.

This nonsense has been talked about time ans time again, the ATRs are the best options for this time as the Q400 is costly to buy and very expensive to operate. CAL operates 21 flights per day at minimum between POS-TAB, where the ATR out perform the Q400.
As mentioned the ATR72 saves CAL millions in fuel and maintenance each year compared to the Dash8 Q300 and carries more pax.

So whoever wrote that garbage is apparently like the pilots in the Caribbean who think all things Bombardier are better, and the ATR are the worse thing out.
All ah we is one family

817Dreamliiner

Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:35 am

Source: http://www.newsday.co.tt/editorial/0,183820.html

What nonsense... The ATR purchase was probably one of the best decisions CAL has ever made. While thy did cancel the remaining 4, I doubt they needed as many as 9 for themselves (if I remember correctly, the remaining 4 were supposed to be operated from the KIN base). That article has personal preference written all over it....

Quoting BW424 (Reply 224):
I would also say that these pilots (like most), base their assertions purely on personal preference and try to disguise their opinion under the cloak of business sense.

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 225):
This nonsense has been talked about time ans time again, the ATRs are the best options for this time as the Q400 is costly to buy and very expensive to operate.

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 225):
So whoever wrote that garbage is apparently like the pilots in the Caribbean who think all things Bombardier are better, and the ATR are the worse thing out.

Just like one of my friends back home...   

2travel2know2

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 226):
The ATR purchase was probably one of the best decisions CAL has ever made.

Hope BW knows what it's doing.
Same as in A vs B, there's Bombardier vs ATR.. Leased aircraft vs purchased aircraft..
Trinis are the ones who should know which aircraft fits what BW needs and if it was worth it to change from Bombardier to ATR.
Not sure if the relation BW-ATR will open the doors for a BW-Airbus one, since ATR and Airbus are related.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

A388

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 227):
Trinis are the ones who should know which aircraft fits what BW needs and if it was worth it to change from Bombardier to ATR.

It is worth it, just look at the success of the ATR Next Gen compared to the Q400. The ATR is widely known to be the preferred regional turboprop aircraft of the next generation, especially since they are flexible by offering the ATR42-600 and the ATR72-600. Bombardier loses out on a lot of areas to ATR. Again, the fact the LIAT also went for the ATR, doesn't that tell you something about the Q400 capabilities?

A388

Inbound

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:22 pm

As much as I dislike the ATR from a pilot's point of view, and from what my colleagues who actually fly it had to say,
I have to admit...it was the better choice of the two.
The primary purpose of this fleet is to service the airbridge, not Jamaica or Guyana. The Q400 would not have been able to handle so many sectors per day.

From what I've heard, the ATR sips fuel while carrying an additional 18 passengers. I do agree however, it was a poor decision to purchase as opposed to leasing.
There's also rumour of the simulator training being moved to Colombia, so it may enhance roster efficiency.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

trintocan

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Well what do you know, A vs B has become ATR vs Bombardier! The reality is that the ATR 72 is indeed the best plane for the POS - TAB route. The Q400 (not called Dash 8 anymore) may look similar to the earlier Dash 8 100-300 models but is completely new in most respects and is optimised for longer services than the ATR. As mentioned in the article the Q400 can do POS - KIN nonstop, about 1000 miles - this is the sort of route it is designed for. Think about some of the operators the Q400 serve - Porter, FlyBe - both do regional services in Canada / US and UK / Europe respectively on sectors which generally average several hundred miles. To suit this plane for this type of service the Q400 is actually quite fast for a turboprop - in many respects it has been promoted as an alternative to regional jets.

The ATRs are somewhat slower but on short inter-island sectors such as in the Caribbean, this does not cause too much of a difference. The reality is that many airlines use them on short-hop services with the type popular in the French West Indies, Canary Islands, Mauritius and so on. ATR have stuck with this market sector and while they have modernised the planes with time they still retain short-sector capability. As such, while one may romanticise about the older Dash 8s (which were short-haul hoppers par excellence), as of now the Q400 is not a true replacement for these and the ATR is the only player in this sector.

If BW bought Q400s they would work for flights such as POS - BGI, POS - ANU, POS - KIN and POS - GEO on range characteristics alone - but this does not take into account the relatively low-frequency, high-cargo nature of many Caribbean routes which makes the 737s quite appropriate for these services (though that said POS - BGI could work solely with turboprops but the need to link BGI with other islands on the milk run keeps jet flights on this route). The POS - TAB route is certainly not suited to Q400s. Even where cargo is concerned, the ATR is more suited to this than the Q400 is.

In short, the Q400 is actually a very capable plane and has had success with several airlines - but it is not the right piece of kit for BW or LI.

As for the other 4 ATRs, yes they were meant for the KIN hub and indeed one was briefly painted in JM colours before being repainted in ATR's house colours.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 216):
I would hardly call Puerto Rico off the beaten track

From the UK, alas, SJU is off the beaten track. When BA resumed SJU flights a few years ago the Puerto Rican tourist agencies advertised a few times in newspapers and the like but to a large extent these flights linked to cruises operating from there. Unfortunately the services did not last. As far as the UK is concerned, the possible reasons SJU did not last are - it is not a cheap destination (unlike the Dominican Republic), not English-speaking (unlike Jamaica, Barbados etc.) and the cruises serving UK clients have tended to sail from BGI and MIA (including Fort Lauderdale though not FLL airport) - somehow SJU did not get a look-in.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

LimaFoxTango

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:38 am

LI's first -42, -LID went into passenger service yesterday (02/10). It operated 523/524 which it will most likely do on a daily basis for now.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

817Dreamliiner

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:26 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 231):

LI's first -42, -LID went into passenger service yesterday (02/10). It operated 523/524 which it will most likely do on a daily basis for now.

Thanks for the info, I saw it on flightradar24 the other day. Good to see it finally in service. Any idea on when the next ATR will be delivered?

A388

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 231):

That is great indeed. Please keep me informed when their ATR42 will be sent to CUR.

A388

caribbean484

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:33 am

Hey guys, maybe our Barbadian friends can tell us, but it looks like AA has zeroed out their JFK-BGI-JFK route come January next year?

Dutch assistance for small airlines
"The small airlines EZ Air and Divi believes that the Netherlands must take action to ensure that Bonaire has a good and affordable air connection with Curaçao. The existence of two smaller airlines that fly to Bonaire is in danger. This was reported by the Caribbean Network.
The two companies are suffering from the high cost of air traffic control. Since December 1, EZ Air and Divi must pay the terminal and airport approach service (air traffic control). The services are provided by the Dutch Caribbean Air Navigation Service Provider (DC ANSP) in Curaçao. The total cost is $ 1.7 million for all airlines flying to Bonaire."
http://www.curacaochronicle.com/main...tch-assistance-for-small-airlines/

Gonzales: Liat a ‘terrible disappointment’
"Chairman of the shareholder governments of regional carrier Liat Dr Ralph Gonsalves has acknowledged that the airline has been a terrible disappointment to the Caribbean travelling public in recent months. “Liat was terribly disappointing to the people of the Caribbean over the summer,” said Gonsalves, Prime Minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines, who was in New York for the 68th Session of the United Nations General Assembly Debate."
http://guardian.co.tt/business/2013-...98terrible-disappointment%E2%80%99

InselAir expects to receive final permit to fly from Aruba to Miami this month
" In addition to the information, that appeared in the media today and yesterday, regarding the start of InselAirs’ flights between Aruba and Miami, InselAir is currently pending the receipt of the final permit."
http://www.curacaochronicle.com/avia...ly-from-aruba-to-miami-this-month/
All ah we is one family

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:22 am

And the posts of CEO, COO and VP Commercial @ BW are now published. Interesting words at the very beginning of the document; "mandate to re-brand the company internally and externally". Is this a hint at a revised livery?

http://www.caribbean-airlines.com/im...CAL_Executive_Vacancy-Trinidad.pdf

[Edited 2013-10-08 00:23:00]
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

andrefranca

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:18 am

Quote:
“It is a difficult airline to manage, and it is an airline which is not in financial proposition, but one which is socially and economically necessary,” said Gonsalves, pointing out that Liat flies to 22 destinations, with roughly 1,000 flights per week.

We all know that, well I may not be a huge fan of LI but I don't want to see them going! not without a better replacement.

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 234):
Dutch assistance for small airlines

I even didn't know they were still flying.

PY B6 serving FLL, AA who else? lucky arubans! the fare must be on the "cents" LOL

Quoting BW424 (Reply 235):
Is this a hint at a revised livery?

I don't think so, I believe they meant : To bring the company a better imagine/name.

A388

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 236):

PY B6 serving FLL, AA who else? lucky arubans! the fare must be on the "cents" LOL

Fares to my knowledge are still high (unbelievable I know) and B6 doesn't fly to FLL from AUA. NK operates a weekly flight FLL-AUA.

I was sick over the last few days but I'm gaining some strength again. See my Cargolux 747-8 photo and the new livery of Arke (previously known as Arkefly):

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Cheers,

A388

guyanam

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:45 pm

yes hopefully they will get rid of that purple. A most UNCaribbean color.

They also need to start over. Reports are that their staff are hopelessly demoralized and that their custoimers are suffering as a result. There is inadequate attention to the level of service that their subcontractors (ground crews) provide to their customers.

POS is a disaster for intransits. And one just needs to read the frequent complaints by Guyanese to see this (many posted on the caribbean avenue site).. As the largest user of POS BW should have the clout to force that airport to streamline its operations for intransits so that they can remain in compliance with the various international authorities, and yet ensure that passengers feel comfortable. For some reason people making BW=>BW plane changes at POS on the SOUTHBOUND routes now have to do a complete recheck. Clearly Guyana doesnt require this, as does the USA, so why is it done?

POS needs to look at PTY to see how intransits are being treated. They must conform to the same standards, but yet they do so much more efficiently, and with less incovenience and rudeness to intransits. If BW wishes to develop a hub based around POS then they need to work with the airport authorities to improve the intransit experience. Long gone are the days when people tolerated cruelty.

And I have said this often enough. If BW wants to continue to get business from Guyanese, they not only have to deliver decent service, but must also be percieved to be doing so. It looks silly every time the govt of Guyana complains, BW apologizes, and yet does nothing to rectify the situation.

Indeed rumors are the Guyana might remove flag carrier status from BW if this situation doesnt improve. It appears as if DL might be demanding this, in exchange for resuming service. Rumors and not facts, but then the rumors come from people who know whats happening in Guyana aviation.

2travel2know2

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 238):
Indeed rumors are the Guyana might remove flag carrier status from BW if this situation doesnt improve.

That'd really be worth something more if Guyana was on Cat 1 and its registered aircraft had access to U.S. airports.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

trintocan

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 237):

I was sick over the last few days but I'm gaining some strength again. See my Cargolux 747-8 photo and the new livery of Arke (previously known as Arkefly):

Great pictuires! Arke are adopting the "Dreamliner" livery premiered by their British brethren, BY, who developed it for their 787s but are also repainting the rest of their fleet into it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

andrefranca

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Being discussed on another thread

"JFK-BGI to be axed by AA".

AA Ending JFK-BGI. (by miaami Oct 8 2013 in Civil Aviation)

guyanam

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 239):

The govt of Guyana feels that BW got certain advantages by being designated the flag carrier, but ha sdelivered high fares and poor service. Even GUYAIR has commneted on declining standards.

It is possible that DL is pressuring them to drop BW as this seems to be the real reason why they stopped service to GEO, and one can read through the lines of their complaint blocking BW and FJ from offereing JFK GEO JFK service.

A388

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:22 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 238):

yes hopefully they will get rid of that purple. A most UNCaribbean color.

As Andrefranca said, I also think this rebranding will be to give the company a better image/name and has nothing to do with an actual change of the current livery. I still like the current livery so there's no need to waste money on that in my opinion 

I read something in the Jamaican thread about the Caribbean Airlines 767 and a seat not reclining in , IFE not working, and the same movies being given the entire year. Is it really that bad?

Thanks for your nice comments trintocan 

A388

yellowtail

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:38 pm

I was nice to see teams from Jamaica, Haiti, St. Lucia, Barbados, SXM, and T&T at the ROUTES conference in LAS earlier this week. And it was nice to see them thinking outside the box for a change on how to get service, especially since airlines are now not so hot on Rev Guarantees. Incidentally, Not a Guyanese in sight.

Hey my Bajans friends (since I know one is a member here), hope you held up your end of the bargain with BZE you know we did our part.....

A388

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Yellowtail didn't you see people from Curacao?

A388

yellowtail

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 245):
Yellowtail didn't you see people from Curacao?

Can't say I did, but it was a very large show and the networking sessions were so big, it was split into two halls....I did see someone from Bonaire though.....

The Bajans were staying at the same hotel as I was so I got to know them well....great bunch of guys with their country at heart.

They all should come to ROUTES America in SAL....much smaller event, so much easier to network especially if you are a newbie.

A388

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Well Curacao was there too 

A388

guyanam

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:24 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 244):

Well BGI has a huge problem now that AA has announced that it is ceasing JFK BGI service after Xmas. This puts them in a bind as it is late in the day to get alternative airlift on that route, unless they can convince BW to do so. And BW cant help them with the leisure market.

The govt of Guyana most likely doesnt know anything about the routes conference. So clearly they will not go.

They think that wasting US$850 million on a new terminal with 8 jetways will automatically result in expanded service. And with GEO becoming a hub connecting South America with Africa and elsewhere....or that is what they tell the public. Some think that this is only another excuse for corruption, which the Chinese have been known to enable in third world nations.

Also fooling the public that their discussions with Jetblue, Westjet, Air Canada, and KLM are serious.

I suspect that they have no idea how many Middle Eastern airline provide almost daily service from GRU connecting South Ameriuca to points in Asia. South African and Angola provide similar connections to points in Africa.

Travelspan will shortly resume service to GEO. This is the level of air service that he Guyana govt feels most comfortable with, because the owner is most ikely one of their overseas based cronies.

yellowtail

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 248):
The govt of Guyana most likely doesnt know anything about the routes conference. So clearly they will not go.

They should and should.....it is not necessarily that a deals get done at ROUTES, but it does lay the relationship foundation for them to happen. Anyone that goes there will tell you that. It is also not what it is said at the discussion tables, but what is said at the dinner table.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 248):
Also fooling the public that their discussions with Jetblue, Westjet, Air Canada, and KLM are serious.

Well anybody can send an email......and claim that to be serious.