Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RussianJet
Topic Author

FR Cabin Crew Punched

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:28 pm

A female cabin crew member has been punched in the face by a passenger on board a flight from PMI to LPL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-23667241

NOW - before we get the usual FR-related jokes, please stop to consider the fact that this is a member of staff who has been assaulted apparently for doing nothing more than her job, namely trying to protect other passengers against the unruly behaviour of a rowdy group of passengers. Please do us all a favour by treating this with the seriousness it deserves.

Unfortunately, the end result was a mere Police Caution (for those unfamiliar with British law, an official Police Caution is not just a verbal warning, it's a matter of criminal record), I have to say that it would have been nice to see the book thrown at the passenger for attacking the crew member in this manner, but of course we don't have the full facts, including the view of the victim.

It is far from the first assault on crew I have heard of on FR flights, and indeed other airlines. This sort of thing really pisses me off.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

AeroWesty

RE: FR Cabin Crew Punched

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:39 pm

Quoting RussianJet (Thread starter):
punched in the face by a passenger

A female passenger, no less! Was this another case of alcohol-fueled rage?
International Homo of Mystery

sw733

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:43 pm

A female cabin crew member has been punched in the face by a passenger on board a flight from PMI to LPL.

Not that it really matters, but the article makes it sound like LPL-PMI, not PMI-LPL

RussianJet
Topic Author

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 2):
but the article makes it sound like LPL-PMI, not PMI-LPL

Quite correct - apologies for the oversight.

SCQ83

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:02 pm

And a second Ryanair flight from the UK (surprise!) to the Balearic Islands taken over by drunk passengers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23574745

Men held after Prestwick to Ibiza flight disturbance
A number of men have been detained by Spanish police following disturbances on a flight from Prestwick to Ibiza at the weekend.

We're Nuts

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:09 pm

Boy, if they aren't being assaulted by their bosses, they're getting it from the passengers. FR crew must have nerves of steel.
Dear moderators: No.

sandyb123

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Unfortunately FR carries a fair few louts on the holiday flights to PMI, IBZ etc during the summer. Given the perception of low fares and budget audience PIK etc attracts, you're more likely to see trouble on these flights.

I don't meant to sound snobby but unfortunately it's a bad mix sometimes.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

kl911

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 6):
Unfortunately FR carries a fair few louts on the holiday flights to PMI, IBZ etc during the summer. Given the perception of low fares and budget audience PIK etc attracts, you're more likely to see trouble on these flights

And I thought the FR website was that complicated to keep those kind of persons out?  

Anyway, indeed really tragic that A. this behaviour is still happening and B. that punishment is still way to low. I hope she will sue the guy.

sandyb123

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Quoting kl911 (Reply 7):
Anyway, indeed really tragic that A. this behaviour is still happening and B. that punishment is still way to low. I hope she will sue the guy.

Very unlikely. We don't have that kind of culture and she'd probably loose her job as a result. Sad.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

egph

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:37 pm

As a very outspoken critic of MOL and Ryanair who is now into year 2 of a boycott of Ryanair flights I'd like to say I hope they throw the book at the passenger. Only getting a caution for such a mindless attack on someone who was only doing her job is a joke!

cainanuk

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:39 pm

I was assaulted by a BE passenger at MAN for denying him boarding because he was too drunk to fly and abusive towards staff (swearing... squaring up etc...). We called for police assistance and they took their sweet time... approximately 10 minutes later, when he tried to get into a female boarding agents face, I stood between him and the agent and was summarily punched (full force) in the jaw. Even after THAT, it still took the police a further 15 minutes to respond!! In my case there were at least 3 eyewitnesses and the guy actually waited for the cops and ADMITTED to the offense... he showed no remorse and I ended up having to go to hospital with a good case of whiplash, a sprained jaw and 2 loose teeth... yet the scumbag was let off with a simple police caution. Of course BE said they would "ban" him... Fat lot of good that was... All BE does when they "ban" someone is to write them a letter informing them they've been a very naughty boy! Even with a so called banning order, they can still check in online or at a kiosk... or even at a desk. All they can not do is buy a ticket from or check in at a FlyBe ticket desk... Absolutely USELESS!! I am so glad I no longer work in that god forsaken industry!
Cainan Cornelius

SelseyBill

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Quoting EGPH (Reply 9):
As a very outspoken critic of MOL and Ryanair who is now into year 2 of a boycott of Ryanair flights I'd like to say I hope they throw the book at the passenger. Only getting a caution for such a mindless attack on someone who was only doing her job is a joke!

I spent a number of years managing ground transportation networks, and the number of unwarranted assaults on the wider body of transportation staff across the industry to my mind is stunning, In the year 2010/2011, there were over 1400 reported assaults on London Transport staff, (tube and bus). I don't know the numbers for the aviation sector.

In my experience, what is even more stunning than the number of assaults, is the evident weakness of UK authorities to throw the book at some of these louts.

As a minimum, they ought to have their passports confiscated for an indefinite period, which would at least stop these idiots from getting on any more flights in the future.

dtw2hyd

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:57 pm

It appears UK Police Caution is an interesting option to deal with serious offences. Creating a criminal record and let the perpetrator walk!!! On the other hand we have stand your ground laws.

What if the cabin crew wants to pursue higher charges?
All posts are just opinions.

TheCommodore

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:40 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 6):
Unfortunately FR carries a fair few louts on the holiday flights to PMI, IBZ etc during the summer. Given the perception of low fares and budget audience PIK etc attracts, you're more likely to see trouble on these flights.

I don't meant to sound snobby but unfortunately it's a bad mix sometimes.

Low cost......

Low class   

No class !

No, but really, I am surprised this isn't a more regular occurrence on these sorts holiday flights.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

ozark1

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:54 am

What a world! It's all downhill from here folks.
Just glad that I lived in an era when you dressed up to fly, when the seats were huge, and when the windows were big.
Glad I got to look at the props starting up and glad I got to enjoy the endlessly courteous cabin crews doing all they could to make me happy.
But then we, as passengers were civil, happy, and without any electronic devices.
The world has changed but thank goodness a lot of us have the memories of how it used to be!
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/small/8/2/3/0537328.jpg

Francoflier

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:14 am

NOW - before we get the usual FR-related jokes, please stop to consider the fact that this is a member of staff who has been assaulted apparently for doing nothing more than her job, namely trying to protect other passengers against the unruly behaviour of a rowdy group of passengers. Please do us all a favour by treating this with the seriousness it deserves.

Why would you assume that this event would turn in an FR bashing exercise?
A cabin crew has been hit, which unfortunately happens from time to time. The A.net community is nothing but unanimous in its opinion regarding these events...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

acelanzarote

Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 am

Crew should not have to put up with this sort of action...
Presuming the plane was heading to PMI FROM LPL, they pass seem to have got off light with the Spanish Police, who don´t normally take a soft line in this area...maybe more to the story than we know...
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

dispatchguy

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:12 am

In the USA that is interfering with flight crew, and is a full-on felony. Expect to spend some time in prison for interfering with a flight crew in the performance of their duties.
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

raffik

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:49 am

Quoting TheCommodore (Reply 13):
Low cost......

Low class   

No class !

It was going from Liverpool, what do you expect?

Seriously, that is disgusting behaviour by that passenger. Why can't the ground crew stop people like that from boarding in the first place? Or perhaps these airside bars and pubs should make sure they are serving responsibly.
I.e, limit the amount people consume before boarding?
- Alec

RussianJet
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:38 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 15):
Why would you assume that this event would turn in an FR bashing exercise?

Well for starters I wasn't assuming. But, the fact is that with monotonous regularity any FR-related thread gets distracted with jibes and predictable off-topic comments. It was merely a plea to focus on the real topic here, and not something intended to cause offence.

brilondon

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
A female passenger, no less! Was this another case of alcohol-fueled rage?

You know that as a fact? I did not read anywhere where it was stated that alcohol was involved. I would think that if they were drunk or had been drinking then there would have been more charges for public drunkenness.

Quoting acelanzarote (Reply 16):

Crew should not have to put up with this sort of action...
Presuming the plane was heading to PMI FROM LPL, they pass seem to have got off light with the Spanish Police, who don´t normally take a soft line in this area...maybe more to the story than we know...

There is always more to the story then the media portrays but in this case, I would think that the passenger got off lightly.

I hope that FR would take the person to court and sue them as a civil suite and the courts make an example of them so that the next jerk who thinks it is ok to assault someone would think twice.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

asctty

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:24 pm

What difference does it make what airline this occurred on or where the assailant came from? Flight crew are there for every PAX's safety and if they are attacked then the person responsible should be dealt with appropriately! At the very least, a lifetime ban from flying would do for me.