migair54
Topic Author

Qatar Airways In East Africa

Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:59 pm

Actually Qatar has a good presence in East Africa, but they had plans to operate more flights slowly.

they will have:
-14Xweek DAR.
-18xweek NBO.
-7xweek to JRO (via DAR).
-7xweek EBB and KGL.

Not long ago I heard some rumors saying that they wanted to operate MBA and ZNZ also, ZNZ is a very big market, actually ET, KZ (PW), Oman Air all are doing well and I know Qatar could do very well, and I´m sure in Mombasa they could do very well as well however I think they are not getting the rights to operate the route so far.

What About Operating a flight to EBB only and then another one to KGL and BJM?

A wild option is also start HAH in Comoros, I know right now they codeshare with PW on the route but Yemenia flies there, Saudi Arabian used to do, and they have a big community out of the Islands, specially in France and middle east.

What about LUN and HRE?? I know it´s very far for an A320 but doing in triangular it could have a A330 or B787 with nice cargo loads.

ADD?

I don´t think Somalia is an option but TK already operates via Djibouti, and Djibouti could be also the option.

eastafspot

RE: Qatar Airways In East Africa

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Quoting migair54 (Thread starter):
-7xweek EBB and KGL.

QR operates it daily   .

Back in May 2013, Burundi signed a bilateral air services agreement with the State of Qatar allowing up to 7 flights between these two countries.

Concretly, i have no idea when (and via where), QR or Air Burundi will start passenger services.
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

Qatara340

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:21 pm

ADD?

QR already announced ADD to start later this year.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

AABB777

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 2):

ADD begins September 18, but is not daily.

SCQ83

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:12 am

Interestingly, I had no idea that Oman Air operates Zanzibar, but there is no TK/EK/EY/QR. I agree, it looks like the perfect fit for Qatar Airways or Turkish Airlines, with a narrow-body to connect their vast European and Asian network with under served ZNZ.

Qatara340

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 4):
Interestingly, I had no idea that Oman Air operates Zanzibar, but there is no TK/EK/EY/QR. I agree, it looks like the perfect fit for Qatar Airways or Turkish Airlines, with a narrow-body to connect their vast European and Asian network with under served ZNZ.

Zanzibar used to be a crown colony of Oman until the 60's -- so the Omani influence there is huge.

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 3):

I believe that it will be daily very soon.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

swallow

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:19 am

Having flown the route, it seemed to me that most pax board in EBB and pax ex-KGL are a nice top up. I don't know if a KGL and BJM flight would work.

It appears neither EBB nor KGL on their own have the loads to sustain daily flights for QR, KL, TK and SN, therefore they operate the Hub-KGL-EBB-Hub loop.
The grass is greener where you water it

SCQ83

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:31 am

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 5):
Zanzibar used to be a crown colony of Oman until the 60's -- so the Omani influence there is huge.

Thanks for the info... I had no idea about that... then it makes more sense.

Anyway, I feel Zanzibar could be easily stimulated with QR or TK one-stop from Europe or Asia. It is one of those places with tourism potential but it is hard (and expensive) to reach from most places.

777way

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:10 am

Emirates served Moroni, are you confusing Saudia with them?

migair54
Topic Author

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:55 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 7):
Anyway, I feel Zanzibar could be easily stimulated with QR or TK one-stop from Europe or Asia. It is one of those places with tourism potential but it is hard (and expensive) to reach from most places.

It could and they really need but I don´t see any progress until they finish the new terminal if the do, because right now the work is stopped due to problems with design and funds to continue. I heard that QR plan was to offer DOH-MBA-ZNZ, I´m not sure if that will ever happen but I think it could work.

Quoting 777way (Reply 8):
Emirates served Moroni, are you confusing Saudia with them?

I go to Moroni very often and they never told me about EK but Saudia and flying there with even B777, Last time I saw Yemenia A310, like one month ago, I think Corsair also flew there for some time.

Quoting swallow (Reply 6):
It appears neither EBB nor KGL on their own have the loads to sustain daily flights for QR, KL, TK and SN, therefore they operate the Hub-KGL-EBB-Hub loop.

The market is growing very fast and I think offering direct flight to KGL and BJM will stimulate the traffic with QR, actually Rwandair is growing very fast so the market must be there

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 3):

That´s good news, I guess it will be A320.

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 5):

It was and the influence is still big, also in DAR.

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 1):
QR operates it daily   .

7xweek is daily... 

777way

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:30 am

Saudia mustve been some kind of charter flights, like they do to Maldives for religious purposes not as a holiday destination.

eastafspot

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Quoting swallow (Reply 6):
Having flown the route, it seemed to me that most pax board in EBB and pax ex-KGL are a nice top up. I don't know if a KGL and BJM flight would work.

So true, they are complementing each other very well.

Also even if it is not really visible, ET uses the exact same strategy. However and unlike its timetable shows therefore probably misleading, ET runs these routes :
ET811/810: ADD-EBB-KGL-EBB-ADD (there offered fifth freedom rights last year on these flights #)
ET802/801: ADD-NBO-BJM-NBO-ADD

Even if the capacity and frequencies differ, KQ recently launched direct flights to KGL and BJM instead of the usual triangle.

Quoting migair54 (Reply 9):
I heard that QR plan was to offer DOH-MBA-ZNZ, I´m not sure if that will ever happen but I think it could work.

So did i, maybe an idea for QR would be to unlock Burundi with a tag on like MBA-BJM-(MBA)-DOH

The market is growing very fast and I think offering direct flight to KGL and BJM will stimulate the traffic with QR, actually Rwandair is growing very fast so the market must be there

Did you know that, after a "generous gift" from the Chinese, Air Burundi is almost ready to set foot in the regional competition: http://www.flyairburundi.com/    .

Linking the RwandAir's growth with the local/regional/continental potential market seems a bit optimistic, let's wait the day they will eventually publish the official figures to get a clear picture.

7xweek is daily... 

I meant (in opposition to your "they will have"   ) , QR has always operated DAILY since their inaugural

[Edited 2013-08-15 13:47:25]
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

migair54
Topic Author

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:54 pm

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 11):
Did you know that, after a "generous gift" from the Chinese, Air Burundi is almost ready to set foot in the regional competition: http://www.flyairburundi.com/    .

Yes I know, even Air Tanzania is looking to have something similar, now they are planing to start operating soon MA-60 and another chinese plane, and they were really looking hard someone to invest in ATZ but nobody wanted because the situation looks very difficult.

Quoting eastafspot (Reply 11):
Also even if it is not really visible, ET uses the exact same strategy. However and unlike its timetable shows therefore probably misleading, ET runs these routes :
ET811/810: ADD-EBB-KGL-EBB-ADD (there offered fifth freedom rights last year on these flights #)
ET802/801: ADD-NBO-BJM-NBO-ADD

For me ET is a big mistery sometimes, they fly to DAR every single plane, even Dash 8 in the middle of the night and to Zanzibar as well, then NBO-BJM is a B787 or B767, JRO is a B767 but many days is also a B737 via MBA other days is via NBO others is direct, is quite difficult to keep track of them, but like KQ they are all over africa and actually ET is expanding a lot.

AF022

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:51 am

Didn't QR cut back frequencies to JRO? I thought I saw that.

I think Rwandair Express was very overly optimistic with their expansion. They are in a very crowded area and it will be hard for them to compete. Too many choices Lagos to Dubayy.