Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Delta FAs Get Nokia Lumia 820

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:38 pm

More than 19,000 Delta flight attendants began using the Windows Phone handset on Thursday to better help travelers make purchases while on board.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...0-climbs-on-board-delta-air-lines/
All posts are just opinions.

b727fa

RE: Delta FAs Get Nokia Lumia 820

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:52 pm

They look great and have a nice sales program...very easy to use. But, be patient the first few days!
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

MesaFlyGuy

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Pretty neat idea. I love to see the industry (or parts thereof) becoming more innovative and efficient. Plus I bet these are easier to carry around than credit card machines. I also like the idea of inflight economy comfort upgrades!
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

max999

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:06 pm

I recall reading that AA has issued Android tablets to their flight attendants. Which airline is going to be next with smart devices for their front line staff?
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Quoting max999 (Reply 3):
I recall reading that AA has issued Android tablets to their flight attendants.

I think they got Samsung Galaxy Note (Gen 1). We haven't heard much what they have been using for.

DL program seem to be more thoughtful. eReceipts is a good idea. Right now they may be using credit card scanner attachment, but 820 also supports NFC(Near field communications) which can be used for payments(with another NFC enabled phone) and to transfer eReceipt without asking for e-mail.

Scanning coupons in future is also a good idea and may be boarding passes. This is actually done thru in-built camera.

FWAERJ

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:26 pm

DL has a pretty deep relationship with Microsoft as a whole, in part due to having a big chunk of the Microsoft travel contract from SEA. And DL is also working with Microsoft on a custom Windows 8 tablet for pilots (Surface DL?) as opposed to buying off-the-shelf iPads or Android tablets.

So I'm not surprised at all that DL is going Windows Phone.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:06 pm

And I recall the days when I would haul around upwards of $17,000 in CASH for ten days because I could not deposit it anywhere but at my home base. I got really good at finding hotel safes! If that money had gone astray I would have been fileted with a rusty butter knife! This is great--the airline gets their funds instantly and it is user friendly and no cash to worry about.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

ebs757

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 4):
We haven't heard much what they have been using for.

Access customer information such as name, seat number and loyalty program status in a seat map view and customer list view;
Record meal and beverage preferences for premium class customers; Easily identify high-value customers seated in the premium cabins and in the main cabin, and customers requiring special assistance. Provide customers with connecting gate, flight delays and weather information – pending FAA approval, all information will be automatically updated when Wi-Fi is available on the aircraft.

American also use's the devices for transactions onboard the aircraft such as purchasing food inflight.
Viva la Vida

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:27 pm

Quoting ebs757 (Reply 7):

Thanks for the info. Nice to learn why have been put to good use.

Now it is UA's turn. iPhone may be!!!

b727fa

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:36 pm

We'll be able to get an alert that Ms Smith in 4B had an issue on her last flight. We can then reach out to her and let her know we are aware (sometimes within minutes of her contacting customer care) and work right there to solve/resolve the concern. It's endless the amount of care we can provide with this new tool!

The manual, and work rules and other documents will be able to reside on the device and have instant updates/revisions and save a fortune on paper/printing and compliance issues.

It's a great tool and the initial feedback is good so far!
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 9):
The manual, and work rules and other documents will be able to reside on the device and have instant updates/revisions and save a fortune on paper/printing and compliance issues.

FINALLY! No more hauling around that blasted manual and doing updates in the middle of the night in NRT!
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

Eagleboy

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:40 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 9):
We'll be able to get an alert that Ms Smith in 4B had an issue on her last flight. We can then reach out to her and let her know we are aware (sometimes within minutes of her contacting customer care) and work right there to solve/resolve the concern. It's endless the amount of care we can provide with this new tool!

I love this idea but I do feel that it will require an equal level of back office commitment to follow up on the info provided by the frontline staff. My own employer is looking at a similar program, however I doubt it will be utilised to its full potential in my case.

Prost

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 10):
FINALLY! No more hauling around that blasted manual and doing updates in the middle of the night in NRT!

I'm the guy who takes up the space in the galley. I might as well get paid for manual revisions between water walks!

dlramp4life

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Thats good news inflight but what about DL finishing the scanner upgrades for plane side close out for ramp crews and as well as what happened to Tahoe??

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 11):
I love this idea but I do feel that it will require an equal level of back office commitment to follow up on the info provided by the frontline staff. My own employer is looking at a similar program, however I doubt it will be utilised to its full potential in my case.

Delta has an army (literally) of back office folks that track customer surveys, customer ratings, complaints, compliments, you name it. A ton. Not just for in-flight but also for above and below wing. Just food for though. If a customer gives a bad rating in their travel survey for wheelchair service, that actually goes directly to the station manager (automatically) or in the case of hubs, specific managers and they have exactly 48 hours to respond.

It may not seem like it but Delta has built a rating system of the past few years that's basically grown into the back-bone of front-line management and employees. It's pretty serious stuff.

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 13):
Thats good news inflight but what about DL finishing the scanner upgrades for plane side close out for ramp crews and as well as what happened to Tahoe??

Scanner updates are rolling. There's been plane-side closeout for close to 2 years now. The issue is RF. RF technology is very labor intensive and expensive. The move right now is cell towers which is what AA is already doing. So, we're still behind technology wise when it comes to below wing but i'd savve above wing agents has it good right now and i'll only get better by mid next year.
What gets measured gets done.

Acey559

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:42 pm

Nice to see Windows Phone getting some publicity. I had a WP before my current Android and it was the best phone I've ever owned. I switched only because AA doesn't support the Sabre app for Windows Phone but I'm going back as soon as my contact us up.

questions

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:19 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 10):
Quoting Prost (Reply 12):

How did FA's receive/pick up the manual revisions? Was their a cadence to the revision release schedule?

Prost

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:28 am

They get placed in our mailboxes/file folders at work.

questions

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:29 am

I love retailers that use e-receipts. How will Delta obtain the email address? Will the seatmap and reservation/Sky Miles account info be linked? Will FA's have to ask each passenger... "I'm sorry sir, what was that, [email protected] Oh no, at gmail... Ok, got it... Ma'am what's your email address?.... Can you spell that for me?"... "Ladies and gentlemen, we will be landing in 20 minutes. Unfortunately we will have to discontinue our inflight service at this. We realize we were unable to serve the last 10 rows. We apologize. But ya know, it's hard typing in all those email addresses on these little Nokias. Thanks for flying with us."

azjubilee

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:44 am

If these devices run via the onboard WiFi, how do the FAs accomplish their tasks on the overwater flights? Hawaii specifically, where everything's buy on board.

nwa757boy

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:39 am

Quoting azjubilee (Reply 19):
If these devices run via the onboard WiFi, how do the FAs accomplish their tasks on the overwater flights? Hawaii specifically, where everything's buy on board.

It's stored in the device until there is a wifi connection available.

L1011

Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:07 pm

I was my flight attendant's first customer with the new device yesterday, and it took 2 flight attendants to figure out what to do, but I guess that is expected when they start using something they are unfamiliar with. They said if I wanted a receipt, they would email it to me. I said I thought that could be rather time consuming, to have to ask everyone for their email addresses. They said they would probably hand the device to the customer and they could enter their email address themselves.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

cjg225

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Quoting L1011 (Reply 21):
They said they would probably hand the device to the customer and they could enter their email address themselves.

That's what a lot of places do when they have people walking around with tablets or phones to facilitate in-store purchases. It's usually much faster to have the customer fill things out.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

b727fa

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:00 pm

In the short term we can still do a printed receipt (like a taxi-cab) and after that we can either enter the email for you or you can enter it yourself.

We had CBT training for the device, but there is a learning curve all the same. My device worked perfectly today (had 1 problem swiping a credit card) and it's a delight to use.

willzzz88

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:04 am

The specs are good for international use.

Quad-band GSM/EDGE and quad-band UMTS/HSPA+42 and US specific 700MHz AT&T LTE and AWS LTE (Also used in Canada/Mexico and possibly other areas in the Americas).

AT&T, Nokia and Delta know what their doing.

There will probably be a WiFi network in the airport to save costs to upload data or AT&T international data roaming (this doesn't use a-lot of data and AT&T has the MOST GENEROUS per $ international data roaming packages (it's probably cheaper than their consumer packages) due to their expansive GSM network and international business relationships.

This device will get high speed data no matter anywhere in the world. And I'm pretty sure every single country that Delta flies to has at least a carrier that has deployed HSPA+. There will be LTE roaming in the near future in Canada/Mexico anyways (same bands as the USA on AWS supplementary).

Does the AA Galaxy Note tablet have world-wide quad-band GSM/UMTS and LTE connectivity!?

Delta/Microsoft/Nokia/AT&T is thinking in the future.

[Edited 2013-08-24 23:07:52]

questions

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:12 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 23):
we can either enter the email for you or you can enter it yourself.

No link to the seat map and the customer's reservation or Sky Miles account which also may have an email address? Some retail stores maintain email addresses at the credit card level. For example, once the customer has swiped the card and entered the email address once it is stored for future purchases when that card is used.

Do the credit card readers work with both mag strips and smart chips?

max999

Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:17 pm

Quoting willzzz88 (Reply 24):
The specs are good for international use.

Quad-band GSM/EDGE and quad-band UMTS/HSPA+42 and US specific 700MHz AT&T LTE and AWS LTE (Also used in Canada/Mexico and possibly other areas in the Americas).

My DL F/A friend told me that international data roaming is turned on for the devices. However, international SMS/voice is turned off.

He said he's keeping his personal Galaxy S3 due of the lack of apps on the Windows Phone platform.

And he said that DL got a good deal because Nokia gave them to DL for free...if this is true, then it's a good marketing play by Nokia...they're not very popular in the US and there are going to be hundreds of thousands of DL passengers seeing those phones in action.

Does the AA Galaxy Note tablet have world-wide quad-band GSM/UMTS and LTE connectivity!?

The device is capable...don't know whether AA purchased the international roaming data plan.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 25):

Both Lumia 820 and Galaxy Note are of same generation(n-2). Nokia announced Lumia 1020 and Samsung announced Note 3.

HSPA+ is their best option while roaming. LTE implementations are so messed up, every carrier in USA (for that matter though out the world) has different implementations. It is not cost effective for any phone mfg to make a universal LTE device. Amazon Kindle Fire HD LTE is the only device in the world supports maximum number of carriers. Amazon worked with chip designers to build a custom WiFi/Cellular chip and paid a pretty penny.

Do the credit card readers work with both mag strips and smart chips?

Probably just mag strip for now. NFC phone can act as smart card payer but not as a receiver. NFC phone pair can act as payer/receiver.

sxf24

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Delta should figure out a system like AA where you go to a website and enter your flight information and credit card number to claim a receipt. Makes life easier for the crew.

ozark1

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:04 pm

In the opinion of someone on here who is very tech-savvy, which of the two is the better device? AA or DL?
Now all of us have one at AA, and it really is a very cool tool! It was a bit challenging learning how to use it, but we had excellent, very patient, flight attendants as our instructors. I see a bright future for it as they continually improve it.

qqflyboy

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:19 pm

Quoting sxf24 (Reply 28):

AA's method of giving receipts really is quite effective. All transactions/receipts are available at aareceipts.com. For business travelers this is especially handy because they can go in once a month and print out a single receipt for the entire month's purchases, making claiming expenses far more easy. We do have little business card sized receipts we can provide on board with a written total, but I've never had anyone opt for that.

As for international roaming, AA has it enabled for Pursers only. Otherwise all devices have a domestic cellular plan for data only. All voice/calling capabilities are disabled, and the camera is disabled as well. AA plans to incorporate some kind of push technology that will allow the purser to download all applicable flight informantion at a foreign location and then push/share with each crewmember's device. Keep in mind the wifi function is fully operational, so provided wifi is available, such as at a layover hotel, then updates can be made on each device currently.

AA has been very good at listening to flight attendant feedback and makes regular improvements to the device, and it generally gets better and better with each update.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

b727fa

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:32 pm

No link to the seat map and the customer's reservation or Sky Miles account which also may have an email address? Some retail stores maintain email addresses at the credit card level. For example, once the customer has swiped the card and entered the email address once it is stored for future purchases when that card is used.

I have been given to believe that new features will be forthcoming--especially on the new device coming next year. We are currently doing only mag-stripe (with a Rambler reader). This is an initial platform that will be fluid in it's software and development...more to come!

commavia

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:12 pm

This is a smart move - as it was a few months back when AA did it. Rolling out handheld devices arms flight attendants more information to provide better service. I've seen them in use on AA and the flight attendants all seem to like it. Another positive move by Delta.

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 29):
Now all of us have one at AA, and it really is a very cool tool! It was a bit challenging learning how to use it, but we had excellent, very patient, flight attendants as our instructors. I see a bright future for it as they continually improve it.
Quoting qqflyboy (Reply 30):
AA has been very good at listening to flight attendant feedback and makes regular improvements to the device, and it generally gets better and better with each update.

Good to know things aren't all bad at AA.  

dtw2hyd
Topic Author

Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 29):
which of the two is the better device? AA or DL?

In terms of technical capability, both devices are similar. Same generation, similar processor, similar cellular capability. Interface is personal choice, some may like Note with Stylus and some may like tiles on Lumia. Both have multi-gestures then there is a learning curve.

In terms of implementation, DL has Windows Phone, Windows Tablet for Pilots (Planned) and Windows Desktops/Laptops. So there is an advantage by having common interface.

AA Cabin Crew has Android based phone, AA Pilots have iOS based iPad and obviously every one has to use Windows Desktop/Laptops at some point. This is very common for any big corporation.

IT strategy perspective DL has advantage, but if you dealt with large IT rollout, nothing works as planned. Only time will tell.

ozark1

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks DTW2HYD! I appreciate your knowledge!

questions

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:13 am

What color are the issued devices, red?

delta747tlv

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:22 am

Quoting questions (Reply 35):
What color are the issued devices, red?

Black phone, issued with a red case that is required to be used with all devices.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos