Max752
Topic Author

Strange Airliner At STL On Google Images

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:06 am

Recently, while on Google Maps I found this strange (strange for KSTL) airliner. It appears to be an MD-80. It is parked at E33 which is an international gate at KSTL. I can't really make out the tail number either. If I could have some feedback on what it most likely is that would be amazing. This is my first post on this website so if this is not "forum worthy" please tell me appropriately.

Could it be AeroMexico? They retired their last MD-80 in 2009 though.

Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com & TheCollegePoints.com |

Mitchell Gant

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:11 am

It's an AeroMexico charter to/from Cancun using an MD-80....probably an old image.

Mexicana757

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:19 am

Quoting Max752 (Thread starter):
Could it be AeroMexico? They retired their last MD-80 in 2009 though.

It is AM. The aircraft was operated by their subsidiary AeroMexico Travel. AM Travel was charter airline operation for AM. AM shut Travel down in 2011.

Accidentally

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:23 am

It is very likely this exact aircraft - N848SH

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ricardo Morales - Aviation Photography of Mexico

Indianapolis, IN

whitewasp

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Ahh good old E33. I used to be a ramper for ATS and our gates in STL were 29,31,33. Used to load out Sun Country DC-10s, 727s and Champion 727s. Sometimes we would get a random airline like National (757s). I also had the luxury of getting up close and personal with an AN-124. I had to dump the lavs. Got a great tour of RAF VC-10's when they came through town on a tech stop twice per year. I spent 11 months as a ramper. It was a blast. That picture brought back many memories.

zippyjet

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:46 pm

I've been to STL several times (connections) (FL/WN) are those gates in our terminal? I'm having a brain fart and can't remember our gate numbers.   
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

whitewasp

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Yes, they are considered the "old east terminal". It is between WN and the old TWA gates in section D. I haven't lived in STL for many years, so I'm not sure what is in the D terminal if anything. I remember as a child before the current WN terminal was built. The East Terminal was dark and gloomy. WN made it work though. and then sometime in the late 90's WN struck a deal with the city of STL and they got there own terminal built. I grew up in STL, and before 9/11 I used to walk the terminals just to see the airplanes and take pictures. From that picture above, all the WN gates are to the right of that photo.

PHX787

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:14 pm

Google Maps still shows Tokyo Station under renovations.....which were completed 2 years ago. This photo is probably outdated.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

whitewasp

RE: Strange Airliner At STL On Google Images

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:22 pm

The photo watermark is from 2012. Regardless of dated, the gates are still there, and are used primarily as the "charter" gates. They also have a full customs and immigration hall attached to those gates.

chrisair

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Quoting WhiteWasp (Reply 6):
I haven't lived in STL for many years, so I'm not sure what is in the D terminal if anything.

I haven't been through STL since 2011, but when I was last there, there was a black metal gate by E33 (IIRC) that blocked everything off. You could see in, and it was just dark and unused.

The E29-33 area is really dark and dreary compared to the WN gates.

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 5):
I've been to STL several times (connections) (FL/WN) are those gates in our terminal? I'm having a brain fart and can't remember our gate numbers.

Yep. They are attached. When you go through security, go left and follow that until you get to E29. There's absolutely nothing down there except a bathroom.

whitewasp

Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:38 pm

I was a ramper for ATS back in 1999-2000. When I was there Champion and Sun Country were doing well, at least in the STL-LAS and Caribbean markets. Since then I have only flown in and out as a FA.

Max752
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:40 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 9):
I haven't been through STL since 2011, but when I was last there, there was a black metal gate by E33 (IIRC) that blocked everything off. You could see in, and it was just dark and unused.

The E29-33 area is really dark and dreary compared to the WN gates.

Today, KSTL is really improving. E33, E31, E29 are all updated international gates. These gates see probably 2 maybe 4 flights on a busy day. Every other E gate is WN. Not surprisingly, concourse D is closed and AA, US, F9, Cape Air, and Air Choice One have all moved to the C concourse. A, C, and E are 100% operational.
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com & TheCollegePoints.com |

whitewasp

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Sweet! Thanks for the information. I used to sit out at a viewing park just off the end of 12R at STL when I was a kid and watched arrivals and departures. It was the midwest Maho Beach. They didn't come directly over, but they were just as low and less than 100 yards away to the right of the viewing park.It was amazing when the L1011 and 747s were coming in.. When they bought up the land for the new runway, they closed the viewing park.

zippyjet

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:27 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 9):
Yep. They are attached. When you go through security, go left and follow that until you get to E29. There's absolutely nothing down there except a bathroom.

Thank you for the info. By the way, I'm impressed with our gates. Our gate area looks like it's been renovated or was recently built. I can tell by the a/c vents that look like the nozzles of blow dryers. The newer areas at BWI have these same type a/c ducts. (Our ticketing area and A concourse opened in 2005) and cosmetically stil look contemporary. With STL, at least the time I connected in the summer the A/C was the way I like it...meatlocker cold! I had a 10 to 12 hour layover nonrevving home to BWI and the chairs were comfy. And I couldn't beat the price of lodging.   .
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

EMBQA

Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:07 pm

You need to remember, Google Earth images can be many years old. Until recently the image of my parents house was 9 years old.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos