Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777way
Topic Author

Air Serbia Is Jat Airways Rebranded Or New?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:40 pm

There's confusion at Wikipedia with some arguing its JU rebranded with revised contracts etc. while others are claiming its an all new company, whats the real story?

fatmirjusufi

RE: Air Serbia Is Jat Airways Rebranded Or New?

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:46 pm

SA7700

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Air Serbia would be JAT Airways renamed, to my knowledge anyway:

Jat Airways To Change Name To Air Serbia (by flyboy_se Jul 2 2013 in Civil Aviation)

Regards,

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

OA260

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 pm

It is indeed Jat Airways rebranded and they will use their same IATA code etc...

777way
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Tamra's JAT rebranding which won her the contract, though it dosent show the livery on an aircraft http://www.behance.net/gallery/Rebranding-JAT-Airways/8293611

White Eagle

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Air Serbia will be a brand new company. JAT's operations will be taken over but not the company itself. The new company has not been registered yet. This was confirmed a couple of days ago by the JAT managing director for the Serbian newspaper Politika. The article is in Serbian though:

http://www.politika.rs/rubrike/Ekono...ja/Jat-nije-umro-ziveo-Jat.lt.html

usdcaguy

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Quoting White Eagle (Reply 5):
JAT's operations will be taken over but not the company itself.

What does this mean? I'm always curious when European carriers are reborn as to whether everybody gets to keep their jobs or if there are layoffs. You rarely hear what happens to the employees, and this should be communicated. How will the takeover impact staffing at JAT Airways? Are there still employees at the company who worked at the old JAT?

SASMD82

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Hopefully the rebranded JAT will get a new fleet (the A319s are confirmed?) as well as something that replaces the old ATR72 (which as I recall one of the oldest ones flying around).

Aleksandar

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:44 pm

A little bit of both, I guess. Yes, Air Serbia will inherit JAT, but things will never be the same. Ever since August, it is no longer the airline owned by the Government of Serbia (or Yugoslavia in the past) because 49% of Air Serbia belongs to QR and the majority of changes will come from that fact.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

OA260

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 6):
You rarely hear what happens to the employees, and this should be communicated. How will the takeover impact staffing at JAT Airways? Are there still employees at the company who worked at the old JAT?

Well one big reason is most are made redundant / offered a package to retire. ( Thats for the longterm legacy ) staff. Also a new brand would not want old contracts which historically have been a major cost for these airlines. Also they may want ''fresh'' younger staff who they can train rather than have old staff who are set in their ways. I would say that you may have some Jat staff apply as it is their right to do so but whether they would get the positions would be another matter.

flyboy_se

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:48 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 8):
A little bit of both, I guess. Yes, Air Serbia will inherit JAT, but things will never be the same. Ever since August, it is no longer the airline owned by the Government of Serbia (or Yugoslavia in the past) because 49% of Air Serbia belongs to QR and the majority of changes will come from that fact

As far as i know it is EY who took over 49% and not QR
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

White Eagle

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:13 am

I think it means that they are free to "invite" some current JAT employees (presumably the more productive employees) to join Air Serbia. The others will remain employees of Jat Airways AD. However, given that the flight operations of Jat Airways AD will be wound down, they will effectively have nothing to do and will probably be retrenched/furloughed.

Air Serbia is also recruiting in its own right for Captains and First Officers. See below:

http://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/140...tains-and-first-officers-required/

LifelinerOne

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:54 am

Quoting SASMD82 (Reply 7):
Hopefully the rebranded JAT will get a new fleet (the A319s are confirmed?) as well as something that replaces the old ATR72 (which as I recall one of the oldest ones flying around).

The fleet plans are that two A319s are to be provided by Etihad and another eight are to be sourced from other sources. Two ATR72-500s are already leased through Nordic Aviation Capital to replace their two decade old ATR72-200s.

Cheers!   
Only Those Who Sleep Don't Make Mistakes

Vasu

Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:24 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 4):

That rebranding looks really good in my opinion - but if it won a contract, why are they now changing their name? Is this branding being used at all?

777way
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:07 pm

^ No they wanted to get rid of JAT, my take is that JAT didn't click phonetically with the new owners and it was too close to Jet as well, even as J-A-T they might not have liked the sound of it and most ctainly not as jat though its pronounced Yat be the Serbs but for the rest is Jat, not pleasant sounding.

Viscount724

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:14 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 14):
its pronounced Yat by the Serbs but for the rest is Jat

It's also pronounced "Yat" in German and other languages in the Germanic family (Dutch, Scandinavian languages etc.) which probably means about half the population of Europe pronounces it "Yat".

[Edited 2013-08-27 17:16:06]

yak42

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:03 am

^^ Also the J stands for Jugoslovenski(Yugoslavian) and Yugoslavia no longer exists and so is irrelevant to today's Serbia.

Aleksandar

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Quoting flyboy_se (Reply 10):
As far as i know it is EY who took over 49% and not QR

Of course, it was me, typing fast and not checking things...it is Etihad, not Qatar
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos