[email protected]
Topic Author

EZY To Launch LGW-JER Once BE Ceases It

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:47 am

"EasyJet already operates from Jersey to Liverpool, Glasgow and London Southend as well as a summer service to Newcastle.

It will run three daily return flights, one fewer than Flybe offers.

Flybe will end its services from Gatwick Airport in March after agreeing to sell 25 slots at the airport to the budget airline.

The service, which will be operated by the 156-seater Airbus A319, is due to run from 30 March 2014, with tickets on sale from next month.

Ali Gayward, UK commercial manager for Easyjet, said the schedule allowed business travellers to fly in and out on the same day and they would be introducing some low cost seats in a bid to boost tourism."

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-23863921

This isn't a huge surprise, but it's very welcome news as someone that visits Jersey normally once a year to see a relative. (This reminds me of EZY's now-gone LTN-JER service.)
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

bennett123

RE: EZY To Launch LGW-JER Once BE Ceases It

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:53 am

One less livery at LGW, and one less type, and more Orange.

Pity about that.

vfw614

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:19 am

I don't think it is news. When the slot purchase was announced, easyjet said they would give the route a try for a year. Sounded a bit lukewarm to me back then.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 am

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 2):
I don't think it is news. When the slot purchase was announced, easyjet said they would give the route a try for a year. Sounded a bit lukewarm to me back then.

Given the degree of publicity of this, it is clearly been taken as news.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

sam1987

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:27 pm

Do we what U2 will do with the rest of the BE LGW slots?

As far as I'm aware they've only announced a frequency increase on INV (including a nightstop, which is relatively rare for U2) and this new route to JER.

Do we think anyone will pick up NCL or NQY from BE?
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

kaitak

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Speaking as a Jersey resident, I welcome it. I'm a bit disappointed (though not surprised) about the lack of a night stop; the problem with this is not so much the night stop itself and the ability to fly out first thing, but the fact that Jersey does suffer from fog quite a lot during the winter months (and indeed, this can occur throughout the year - as I've found on many occasions!), which means that early arrivals will be the worst affected. I think we will see that early morning departure from LGW returning on quite a few occasions.

That said, it's a positive development; although U2 is starting with three a day, it has already indicated a possibility of moving up to four and of course, three A319 flights (3 x 156 = 468) is better than four E-175 flight (4 x 88 = 352) - and I'd be surprised if U2 didn't send down the odd A320, such as on Friday and Sunday evenings.

I have heard rumours that BA is thinking of using an A321 on the nightstopper; don't know how true this is - and didn't know BA was looking to base a 321 at LGW, but I'll just put that out there ...

cornishsimon

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 5):
I have heard rumours that BA is thinking of using an A321 on the nightstopper; don't know how true this is - and didn't know BA was looking to base a 321 at LGW, but I'll just put that out there ...

Can JER handle the A321 ?
Iv not heard of any plans to transfer 321s to LGW, it would surprise me if they did as they are all tied up on domestic and shorthaul Euro routes ex LHR, especially with some 763s being retired soon as well I would say its not going to happen.

However I have heard a sniff of some more A320s moving to LGW from LHR, so a mix of A319 and A320 on LGW-JER wouldn't at all surprise me from BA.

I am surprised that they didn't give LHR-JER a go when they launched LBA, RTM etc. They could of kept the existing LGW rotations for point to point flyers and those connecting at LGW, but given those connecting onward the option of a direct LHR route. Saying that considering how well the BA LGW route is supported ex JER im surprised that BA have not tried JER-LCY on the EMB fleet

cs

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos