Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

travelin man
Topic Author

When Does LAX's New Tbit Open?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:53 am

I've been following the construction progress reports on the new international (TBIT) terminal at LAX. It's a vast improvement over the current TBIT experience.
http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/LA...Dev/August%202013%20Newsletter.pdf

I've heard it opens sometime in September, but I haven't seen an official "opening" date from LAWA. Does anyone have any info on when it will open?

timpdx

RE: When Does LAX's New Tbit Open?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:13 am

Plane spotting at LAX I have seen numerous flights use the new gates, most recently last weekend Air Berlin and Turkish were parked there.

AS737MAX

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:26 am

In july/august I saw these planes using the new gates:

TK 777
IB A340
AF A380

[Edited 2013-09-04 18:34:11]

travelin man
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:27 am

Quoting timpdx (Reply 1):
Plane spotting at LAX I have seen numerous flights use the new gates, most recently last weekend Air Berlin and Turkish were parked there.

Yeah, sorry I should have been more specific. Gates 130-134 have been in use for awhile, but when does the new Central Terminal area (inclusive of the new shops restaurants, etc.) open?

I flew back from SYD on the QF A380 in March and we used the new gate (130? - whatever the outermost gate is), but what I am anxious to know is when does the full use of the new TBIT start?

aaway

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:56 am

Sections you're referring to is scheduled to open Sep.18th.

747megatop

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:47 pm

Will an expanded new TBIT mean that gradually international flights will shift from T2 to the new TBIT? T2 is bursting at the seams during peak international departures and arrivals in all areas (checkin, gates and Immigration/Customs).

aklrno

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:57 pm

NZ is moving to TBIT from T2 in the spring

747megatop

Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 6):
NZ is moving to TBIT from T2 in the spring

what about all the other international airlines? VS, KLM etc.?

LAXintl

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Remember what is opening in the coming month is the “great hall”, and about half the gates.

The remainder of the gates, consolidated security checkpoint have 2014-2015 completion dates.

Regarding other airlines moving, carriers are free to lease terminal space where they please. Its ultimately a cost versus benefit analysis. LAX has multiple FIS terminals and will remain so.
While AF and NZ have stated they intend to consolidate into TBIT, T-2 will certainly remain a busy international facility.

ikramerica

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:35 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 8):
Regarding other airlines moving, carriers are free to lease terminal space where they please. Its ultimately a cost versus benefit analysis. LAX has multiple FIS terminals and will remain so.
While AF and NZ have stated they intend to consolidate into TBIT, T-2 will certainly remain a busy international facility.

I could see the major alliance players moving to TBIT to take advantage of the alliance lounges and the new spaces, as they project a better image to their clientel. The Virgin brand will likely stay in T2-T3 (was there ever a tunnel connecting the two?). T-2 might be a good place for central american airlines to consolidate as they aren't very connection heavy and they have a lot of overnight flights.

Arcrftlvr

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:17 pm

A little off topic...but apparently WN will relocate to T3 while T1 is undergoing renovation. I thought that was an interesting approach considering the volume at T3 already...DL was/is able to remain in T5 during their massive renovation so I don't see why WN would have to relocate.

Byrdluvs747

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Reply 10):
.but apparently WN will relocate to T3 while T1 is undergoing renovation.

Source? I seriously doubt this. There isn't enough space in T3 to accommodate WN.

Arcrftlvr

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 11):
Source? I seriously doubt this. There isn't enough space in T3 to accommodate WN.

I work with certain personnel that are working on the T1 modernization project. Also, it's shown on the CALM schedule as an ongoing project until 12/31. So, it's definitely happening as the project to relocate is well underway...Now, what I don't know whether or not all flights are moving over there or not...

atcanobbio

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:25 pm

so i'm guessing the great hall is now open and all gates on the west side are operational. yay! link to camera below:

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/lax/

SurfandSnow

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:53 pm

It's so refreshing to know that LAX finally provides (some) of its international pax a world class experience. I flew in and out of TBIT back in early 2007 on KE, and what a shock it was to go from a dark, dingy, cramped TBIT that only had a hot dog stand post security to the world renowned ICN. Today, LAX can offer those same KE pax an experience that is on par, if not superior, to ICN! Congratulations Los Angeles! Can't wait to see how all these other terminal renovations go!

JHwk

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 pm

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Reply 10):
apparently WN will relocate to T3 while T1 is undergoing renovation

Not possible. They will do the same open heart surgery via the rectum as performed in T5 and T6, building scaffolding to support temporary ceiling, installing temporary cooling and lighting, shifting concessions to kiosks, and doing the work that can't be done this way during the low periods from 11PM to 5AM.

Wouldn't want to fly WN while it is happening; they really do max out the infrastructure of T1, and even the slightest disruption can lead to chaos.

Presumably though US will be relocated for construction.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos