Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10er
Topic Author

Why No Airline Accuracy In Movies?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:59 am

I would assume airlines would pay for placement in movies where there were no disasters of course. However the mistakes otherwise are endless. From ticket counters to interiors to airplanes in flight. I just watched "Bourne Legacy" where the primary characters buy American Airlines tickets for a non-stop flight from JFK to Manila. When boarding they are indeed inside an AA 777 in business (although they have no money). They show the aircraft in flight...a 747 during sunset. When they touch down in Manila they are on a Delta 777.

I know that nobody knows the truth or cares. But AA had to have paid for that placement or another airline may have. Why wouldn't the airline itself assure accuracy?

Do airlines allow filming on board a parked aircraft? Can an airline present a route they don't fly?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

crownvic

RE: Why No Airline Accuracy In Movies?

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:04 am

Because 99.9% of the viewers don't know. You have to realize that if you are an aviation person, you are going to find flaws related to aviation. It is no different probably, if you are a cop watching a police movie or a football player watching a football movie. My point is, most movies are loaded with flaws throughout the film, but if you are not knowledgeable in a particular area, you will never know.

CHIPS

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:12 am

That is why it is called "Movie" , its not real. Different case if you're talking about "Documentary".

mandala499

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:35 am

I am working on 3 aviation comics... so far, the main challenge is how to make it technically accurate but also entertaining at the same time. Once you get over that in the script, then you have to translate that to the understanding of the illustrationist (in the case of a movie, the director, producer, etc etc etc etc), then the editors, etc etc etc, and finally, the general public... which probably won't care about those details... even most of us planegeeks won't know the inaccuracies if one gets to that level of accuracy... so, apart from "geek satisfaction" what's the point? (Although I do HATE grossly misleading movies/whatever).
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

AS737MAX

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:51 am

2 words: Stock footage
Its easy to find and get to put in a movie, and to the director, thats the airline that flies him from LAX to JFK. But in his movie, if a A300 takes off, and a 777 is shown inflight, and a L1011 lands, and they got off a 727, the film crew doesn't know the difference unless you are one of us super avgeeks. So VC10er, you like many people on here would be able to point out the airline footage screwups. Joe schmo can't, and frankly that's not important to him

bill142

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:15 am

It's just like cartoons when they draw a something that resembles a plane. It's only a representation of what's happening.

Byrdluvs747

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:15 am

Givens AA's long involvement with the entertainment industry, I'm left wondering why they don't provide studios with the correct footage of aircraft during takeoffs, landings, and inflight.

Does AA have someone in particular who is responsible for interactions with the entertainment industry?
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

rg787

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:20 am

Besides all those points, I was thinking it may be a problem when selling movies for airlines if there is other airlines advertising in it... Just a thought anyway

hh65man

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:33 am

With the Disney movie Airplane now at the theatre I sure hope their aren't going to be any anal ANutters around me within hearing distance while I am watching the movie.... "That's not real, you can't launch a crop duster off a carrier"......blah, blah ,blah.......... 

soon7x7

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:32 am

Quoting AS737MAX (Reply 4):
2 words: Stock footage

One word:...Budget!...

Most producers are not A netters and don't give a hoot about accuracy. It is a budget savings corner most use. Most cabin shots are shot in mock ups that are available for just such productions. The cost of actual Air to Air can be a killer as well as liability issues written into contracts. Many actors do not like to fly. Rarely have I seen follow through with the same aircraft in a movie but I have seen it, especially when private jets are used. Tom Cruise & Harrison Ford have both used their own Gulfstreams in their productions. "Scroggins Aviation" out in CA fabricates theatrical int/ext movie sets. This is a business that he spun off of his Scrap business. He ("Doug Scroggins") used to be a movie producer.

brilondon

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:49 am

Quoting crownvic (Reply 1):
Because 99.9% of the viewers don't know. You have to realize that if you are an aviation person, you are going to find flaws related to aviation. It is no different probably, if you are a cop watching a police movie or a football player watching a football movie. My point is, most movies are loaded with flaws throughout the film, but if you are not knowledgeable in a particular area, you will never know.
Quoting CHIPS (Reply 2):
Different case if you're talking about "Documentary".

The biggest thing is that most people don't give a rats butt about the accuracy of the technical details and operations of an airline in a film. It also makes for quite a boring movie if you spend 25% of the film on details about aircraft and its operation instead of the story which is what people pay way too much money to see. You have to give what your audience wants not which is an interesting story not an aviation video.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

aerokiwi

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:20 pm

I dunno. With more and more people travelling, the familiarity with aircraft types and shapes and layouts can only increase. Shots of 737s, which I'd argue the majority of the travelling public have traveled on at one time or another, so prolific is the aircraft, followed by internal scenes of a widebody, may be met by a level of incredulity that is simply not expressed. But to me, it does suggest a lazy director/cheap production, which raises further doubts about the rest of the film.

I mean, really, how hard can it be? Stock footage of a widebody is fairly plentiful, I'd imagine. the interiors don't have to match, but at least show it as a widebody. Otherwise, just use stock footage of a narrowbody. Same with trijets switching to 747s or twinjets. It's not actually that hard. Actually, you'd think it would be easier for editors.

lugie

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:46 pm

I would say, for movies like you mentioned "Bourne legacy", one can afford those mistakes.
However, when I watched the movie "Flight" from last year - which is still a good movie IMO - I was very disappointed about the crash scene:
I am sure and I do fully a understand that it should be an imaginary airline, no real airline would show themselves in a movie crashing a plane and employing a pilot with drug problems. However the airplane they choose is far from realistic, long times it looked like one of the DC9 / MD8x / B717 line, with two tailcone-mounted engines. But then, they showed the wingtip, fitted with a winglet in the shape of those from the E-jet / CRJ series. Since it is a movie about aviation, they should've taken care of that.
Q400 E175 E190 CRJ7 CRJ9 CRJX MD88 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 B733 B73G B738 B739 B748 B764 B772 B77W B788 B789
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW IAD YYZ SJO PTY

richiemo

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:57 pm

I think I read that the producers of "Flight" didn't want to suggest any particular plane, just like you wouldn't use a real airline. So they purposely jumbled the appearance of the plane so nobody would define it as a specific type (e.g. MD80). In terms of the original post by VC10, I happen to agree with him. Even though, yes, I'm a aviation fan, I still think keeping true to the details is important. Example would be in Kramer vs Kramer (not aviation related but an example), the producer designed the inside of the apartment to match exactly how it would appear based on the scene-setting outside stock footage they used of an apartment building in NYC. Just to make it that much more real.

afterburner

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:05 pm

Quoting lugie (Reply 12):
Since it is a movie about aviation
Flight is not a movie about aviation in my opinion. It's about a person who has drugs and alcohol addiction problem.

Flighty

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Quoting lugie (Reply 12):
I am sure and I do fully a understand that it should be an imaginary airline, no real airline would show themselves in a movie crashing a plane and employing a pilot with drug problem

Exactly. I'd think liability is the main reason. Most airline scenes are inconsequential so offer little benefit to airlines....

Others are bad. What if the movie is about a bloodthirsty monster who lives in the baggage compartment, killing random pax...

A few movies focus on a good airline experience, so those are good targets for airlines. Like AA in Up in the Air or whatever.

Gr8Circle

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Quoting afterburner (Reply 14):
Flight is not a movie about aviation in my opinion. It's about a person who has drugs and alcohol addiction problem.

Then why call it "Flight"? 

citationjet

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Quoting crownvic (Reply 1):
It is no different probably, if you are a cop watching a police movie or a football player watching a football movie.

...or a doctor watching a medical based show, a lawyer watching a courtroom based show, a chef watching a cooking show, or a Presidential staff member watching West Wing. Those of us watching these shows don't know and don't really care about the technical accuracy of what is being shown as real. Same for aviation movies for the non-aviation oriented.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

citationjet

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Quoting Gr8circle (Reply 17):

Marketing. Sounds better than "Drug and Alcohol Addicted Captain"
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

RubberJungle

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:38 pm

Quoting Gr8circle (Reply 17):

flight (n.)

The act or an instance of running away; an escape.

(Middle English, from Old English 'flyht')

Gr8Circle

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Quoting CitationJet (Reply 19):
Marketing. Sounds better than "Drug and Alcohol Addicted Captain"

Ok, possible....I've not even seen the movie so can't really comment....

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 6):

I AGREE AND I "GET AND Irtysh-Avia (Kazakhstan)">IT"! My other half only knows that one big airplane has a bump and 2 floors. He's Brazilian so he saw VARIG had them. I get the fact that I'm an airline geek and I would know AA's fleet. At least they didn't go to Manila on an American Eagle E-145  

In the case of the movie I saw, AA either PAID for supplied free flights in return to have their logo shown multiple times, mentioned in the script many times e.g "American Airlines flight 167 to Manila is now boarding", allowing filming inside one of their 777's, with "AA's" all over.

What surprises me is that AA had no follow-through. The have plenty of footage of their 777's in flight. No need to select stock footage of a 747 in air...forget the landing, it could have just as easy as the wheels touching down and a plume of smoke from the wheels of anything. I'm sure director was out to make an AA ad, like FedEx did in that Tom Hanks movie.

Do any of you believe, if done well, an airline in a movie is good PR?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

SimProgrammer

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:08 pm

In movies it doesn't matter, but documentaries ought to be accurate.

Mayday and Aircrash Confidential uses a generic cockpit set with occasional specific cockpit types such as DC10 and MDs but the cabin sets are made up of A300 Y cabin parts, even single aisle sets is one-side an A300, it wouldn't be difficult sourcing specific cabin parts according to the aircraft portrayed.
Drive a bus, an Airbus, easier than a London bus!

mbk1999

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Well let's give credit to movies that did go the extra mile using dedicated planes like 'Executive Decision' and, bad as it was, 'Turbulence'.

divemaster08

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:57 pm

I know it shouldnt bother us, but it does! Just the way we wired!

One film that got me was World War Z. They board a C130, then the air shots is an AN12, and then gets off a C130 at the other end! (or the other way round). This pissed me off immensly!

Another film was the new wolverine. Boards a G5, air shot in a Falcon 900/7X. WHY HOLLYWOOD, WHY!!!
My dream, is to fly, over the rainbow, so high!

tjh8402

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Quoting hh65man (Reply 8):

With the Disney movie Airplane now at the theatre I sure hope their aren't going to be any anal ANutters around me within hearing distance while I am watching the movie.... "That's not real, you can't launch a crop duster off a carrier"......blah, blah ,blah.......... 

Actually, the surprising thing about "Planes" is how much stuff they get right despite the fantastical world they operate in. Dusty is indentified (correctly) as having a PT6 engine, many of the basic flight physics, especially those in Dusty's training (I actually found myself referencing them to a friend of mine who had just seen the movie with me in explaining the hit and run tactics used by the US in WW2 against the Zeroes), have some basis in reality. They get details right - the Corsair's wings fold correctly, the landing gear retracts in the correct (and somewhat unique to the Corsair way), the AA 773 has the 3 axle main bogie (and I wanted to throw something at screen when Dusty complimented it on it's "new paint" which I hate haha). There's also inside jokes...I started cracking up (and got a few stares in the theater because no one else got the joke) when Dusty knocks over some oil and makes a comment to the effect of "this isn't the right oil for me. It's aeroshell 100 and I need BP 2380!" If you're a petrol head, you saw the same sort of well thought out details in "Cars", which is why a person like me who normally hates Kid's movies still loves this franchise.

I read in Flying magazine how Disney consulted with a few people in aviation, and that the movements of the planes in the movie were changed from initial produciton to make the flight and maneuvers they were performing look more realistic. I found that amusing since one of the columnists there had slammed "Flight". I didn't see all of Red Tails, but from what I did see, I'd say that if you squinted your eyes (and ignored the eyes and mouths on the planes), the flying actually looked more natural and realistic in Planes. Funny and ironic that the movie that is intended the most fantastical of all the recent aviation movies is in many ways the most realistic.

RubberJungle

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Quoting tjh8402 (Reply 26):
I read in Flying magazine how Disney consulted with a few people in aviation

Would have been better if they'd consulted with a few people in storytelling.   

srbmod

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Movies in general are not rooted in reality. Look at all of the movie scenes shows like Mythbusters have busted over the years, including aviation ones. Some of these myths have continued to be perpetuated for years and to the extent that people thing they're true, like a gunshot piercing the fuselage or cabin window causing an explosive decompression that will suck a person out of the a/c. Much like with movie explosions, things are amped up in order to make things exciting. Even plane crash scenes are often rooted in movie fantasy than in reality. The majority of crashes occur during takeoff or landing, which isn't as dramatic as plummeting tens of thousands of feet and stuff flying all over the place.

Even Cracked recently did an article that dispels a number of aviation-related myths that movies perpetuate.

5 Myths About Flying Everyone Believes (Thanks to Movies)

cosyr

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 pm

This has always bothered me, as well. Movies have experts for everything. "We need the accurate time period..." "Those clothes don't quite match the historical photograph" They have departments just searching for appropriate props and colors and patterns, etc. But when it comes to airlines "Go get some stock footage, any will do."

It really doesn't take much work. In the example from Bourne Legacy, just have a stage assistant use Travelocity to try and buy a ticket from JFK to Manila. In less than 5 minutes I have found the accurate airline, the accurate routing and the accurate aircraft. Then just grab airliners.net and search the aircraft type to match to the stock footage, so a 737 isn't flying from Chicago to Paris, and a 747 isn't flying from Denver to Salt Lake City...OR at LEAST have the same plane land as took off.

BTW, I want to know which planes they think have the awesome capability to lose 2 engines in flight, I assume when it needs to shed weight.  

captainstefan

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Quoting tjh8402 (Reply 25):
Disney consulted with a few people in aviation

The only two things I noticed that could have been easily changed (ignoring the fantastic stuff like a plane swimming around in the ocean trying to keep his spinner above water) were:

-NY Approach / JFK controller (who sounded like JFK, nice touch) says "runway twenty two right" - as opposed to "two two right" as it should be.

-The Corsair's propellor (in a scene toward the end of the movie) doesn't stop like an F4U's would, it slowly glides to a stop rather than having that slight 'seizing' motion as the pistons stop firing.
Long Live the Tulip!

tjh8402

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Quoting RubberJungle (Reply 26):
Would have been better if they'd consulted with a few people in storytelling.   

lol it's a kid's movie, the storyline doesn't matter. Kid's don't care about plot and the only reason a (semi) adult like me would go see it is because of the planes anyway. The only g or pg rated movies I've voluntarily watched in probably the last 10 years have been "Cars", "Cars 2", and now "Planes" and the plot or storyline contributed exactly 0% to my enjoyment of those films although I generally liked all of them (my biggest complaint about "Cars 2" was that it didn't seem to have nearly as many hidden presents for car enthusiast as "Cars" did).

claytonk

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:20 pm

While not quite the same AA helped defray a lot of the production costs for "Up in the Air"...

http://adage.com/article/madisonvine...n-airlines-a-free-ride-air/141059/

dashman

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Considering every movie less documentaries are produced and sold on the basis being almost believable. Why spend a ton of money on being technically correct. Remember movies are made for entertainment value, make money, or, influence a point of view, not be overtly or subliminally educational. Kinda why that recent Denzel Washington movie was of no interest to me. It is amazing how many people thought the premise of the movie was a real world probability. My hats off to the directors and producers. Mission accomplished.

queb

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:22 pm

It's not only about technicals details, it's also about facts. Not aviation related, but I just saw "Argo" yesterday...

cjg225

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 11):
With more and more people travelling, the familiarity with aircraft types and shapes and layouts can only increase.

You are giving people waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit. People either don't care or still don't notice.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Ytraveller

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:29 pm

I do remember the movie "Karate Kid" (2010), which was directed more towards kids, had a few scenes of the characters flying over to Beijing from Detroit. The real-life accuracy of the flight they took is one thing I remember probably the most of that film. They're flying on an Air China 747, where they show the aircraft in a 3-4-3 arrangement   , the Air China logo on the bulkhead   , an Air China flight attendant dressed in the real-life uniform   , and an Air China 747 (unless it was a China Airlines) in-flight   .

Maybe Air China paid them to do something like that, but I was pretty surprised by how accurate their portrayal was. OK, Air China never flew to Detroit, but as if it really matters.

You can see a clip of the passengers on-board here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zP-yumxRFY

n6238p

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:28 pm

What I didn't like about planes is the fact that dusty didn't have an STC for any of those donated parts. The movie should have ended with piles of paperwork and dusty eventually getting his real estate license to make a living.

Realistic scenes of aviation in movies are cost prohibitive and more than likely boring to the average viewer. No one will notice an old United logo on a DC-10 flying a short haul flight but they will notice a quick two second panned shot of an airplane taking off. A movie not about aviation isn't going to use many resources to make sure a scene involving a plane is completely correct. Look Who's Talking is the only non-aviation movie that got things right, Travolta needed to be a cabbie to pay his bills.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

ikramerica

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:53 pm

When its not important to the story its not important.

Unless a movie concerns banking, interactions at banks are often in accurate.
Unless a movie is about police work, interactions with police are often poorly researched.

As a former screenwriter, producers prefer scripts to only have enough detail to move the story forward. Then its up to the producer and director to flesh out the detail or not. Which is sad because most writers have all that detail in their notes, but are seldom asked for it after the sale...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

scbriml

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Quoting CHIPS (Reply 2):
Different case if you're talking about "Documentary".

Even then don't expect accuracy. I just watched a Nat Geo documentary about the 9-11 hijackings. They kept showing air-to-air shots of an AA 777. The cockpit shots were always of a 4-engined plane.   

Quoting divemaster08 (Reply 24):
One film that got me was World War Z. They board a C130, then the air shots is an AN12, and then gets off a C130 at the other end! (or the other way round). This pissed me off immensly!

Yep, I loved that one. Especially watching an An-12 take off from a carrier! When I pointed these things out to my wife, she just told me to shut up and watch the film!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

airbazar

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Quoting CHIPS (Reply 2):
That is why it is called "Movie" , its not real. Different case if you're talking about "Documentary".

Ahahah, you took the words right out of my mind. Movies are fiction, nothing else is "accurate" so why start with the airline? 

KarelXWB

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 40):
When I pointed these things out to my wife, she just told me to shut up and watch the film!

I know the feeling. I'm not even trying to explain it anymore.

Quoting CHIPS (Reply 2):

I've seen enough documentaries with the same mistakes.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

RubberJungle

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Quoting tjh8402 (Reply 30):
it's a kid's movie, the storyline doesn't matter. Kid's don't care about plot

I couldn't disagree more. Young audiences are the most demanding when it comes to attention span, and that makes storytelling everything. The thing they don't care about is technical accuracy. If Disney had paid less attention to flap configurations on cartoon aircraft and more to emotional engagement, it might have had a movie that didn't suck.

G-CIVP

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Because audiences are not plane spotters and pedantic. Anyway, where would all the pedants for movie mistakes get their material from?!!

Okie

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 41):
Ahahah, you took the words right out of my mind. Movies are fiction, nothing else is "accurate" so why start with the airline

Exactly, its a movie. You are suppose to use your imagination.
It really does not matter. 90% of what goes on in the entertainment arena is just pure fantasy.

Next thing you know someone will be complaining about accuracy of the Starship Enterprise, Star Wars or Cinderella had the wrong size foot for the shoe.

Otherwise we will just have to use our imagination to deal with the AirBoeing D387 3,000 seat airplane flying non stop from JFK to EWR on the half hour at Mach Five point Oh.

Okie

vanguard737

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Quoting simprogrammer (Reply 22):

In movies it doesn't matter, but documentaries ought to be accurate.

Mayday and Aircrash Confidential uses a generic cockpit set with occasional specific cockpit types such as DC10 and MDs but the cabin sets are made up of A300 Y cabin parts, even single aisle sets is one-side an A300, it wouldn't be difficult sourcing specific cabin parts according to the aircraft portrayed.

I would say Mayday is more of a 'docu-drama'.

I feel the accuracy of their explanation of events and technical details is spot on. However, you are right that they often use generic cockpit and cabin mock ups. But think of all the episodes they have made with so many different types of aircraft.

They too are trying to make money and understandably cannot justify making every little cosmetic detail accurate.
319 320 321 330 346 359 717 722 732 733 735 73G 738 739 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 773 788 789 781 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 E145 E170 E175 CRJ CR7 TRIM

Toni_

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:03 pm

The only movie I recall with an airline having their name out in the open was Tom Hanks' Castaway. You really have to pay attention to see the very subtle FedEx appearances in this movie.

SPOILER ALERT!

For instance, you have Chuck Noland as FedEx worker flying on a FedEx airplane to a FedEx station in Russia where FedEx boxes were being delivered by FedEx employees in FedEx vans. Then if you squeeze your eyes and pay attention half way down the movie, you can notice Chuck using more FedEx boxes to survive from a doomed FedEx flight that crashes into the ocean. When he gets rescued he finds himself on a FedEx private jet with 2 FedEx cups on a table, one showing "Fed", and the other "Ex". All before FedEx CEO Fred Smith welcomes him back at the FedEx hub in Memphis in front of a full FedEx ramp of parked FedEx aircraft.

Apparently FedEx never paid for product placement.   
Seeing how much effort they put in to position those 2 cups, I don't know...

Fair play to FedEx to agree featuring in a movie where one of their aircraft ends up crashing. I would like the whole movie a tiny bit less if they had to make up the name of a freight company. I enjoyed pausing the movie a couple of times when they were in Memphis!

prosa

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:19 pm

Probably the most extreme example of getting it right was the B-52 cockpit in Dr. Strangelove. As the actual cockpit interior was classified at the time, the set designers and aviation consultants spent many weeks trying to come up with a reasonable guess, by taking the cockpits of other, declassified military aircraft and scaling them up to fit the B-52's dimensions. They were so dead-on accurate that the Air Force initially though there'd been a leak of classified information.
Of course it helped that Stanley Kubrick had an almost insane attention to detail. Rumor has it that in one movie, which featured a scene inside a kitchen, he had all the cabinets and drawers stocked with dishes and cups and silverware even though none of the cabinets or drawers would be opened during the scene.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Viscount724

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Quoting VC10er (Thread starter):
Do airlines allow filming on board a parked aircraft?

Aircraft interior scenes in movies are normally shot in mockups of widely-varying realism, not in actual aircraft which lack room for cameras and all the related equipment.

HOOB747

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:18 pm

"Red Eye", a movie from 2005 starring Rachel McAdams flying the fictional airline "Fresh Air", elicited a noteworthy laugh. On a flight from Dallas to Miami, the filmmakers (Wes Craven) showed a 737, an Embraer regional jet and a 767 on the overnight flight from Dallas to Miami. I thought that was pretty amusing. The aircraft switching didn't take away from the movie, and only .05% of the movie watchers would have noticed anyway, but it was pretty funny.
I love dem planes....

ikramerica

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:19 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 47):

For example Universal has "Soundstage 747" with multiple interiors.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos