tioloko100
Topic Author

Air Berlin Loses 200 Passengers' Bags

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:33 am

Common! its 2013 and losing passenger's bags isn't a good thing to do especially for the sake of image and in case of Air Berlin; 200 passengers were unable to get their bags due to reasons best known to them. Stop ruining your customers holiday plans!

http://flyingactive.com/content/207-...lin-loses-200-passengers-bags.html

Independence76

RE: Air Berlin Loses 200 Passengers' Bags

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:36 am

Never hire a hoarder for a baggage loader.

airevents

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:29 am

Air Berlin is in the news every week for losing bags, thousand of unanswered customer complaints still pending and other shortcomings here in Germany. Customer service has really declined big time while the company is trying to save money where they can in order to make ends meet... Don´t know if this is the right strategy though...

flyingturtle

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:40 am

Most probably, they are making their rounds on the baggage carousel at BER... until somebody picks them up... in the months to come...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

shufflemoomin

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:57 am

How is that even remotely possible? How can there be 200 bags somewhere that hasn't raised suspicion about where they belong?

CARST

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:41 pm

A LCC-legacy-mix-carrier, which joined OneWorld, wanted to play with the big boys in the legacy market, made a pact with the devil (EY), not profitable for many years and theiy are not even realising that one reason for their misery is their steadily declining customer service...

aerosol

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:05 pm

I do Not know of any Air Berlin Ground Handling, so its not really their fault losing the bags - a captain leaving with 200 bags missing is another story...

steeler83

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 5):
How is that even remotely possible?

I know! They don't serve PHL!  
Quoting CARST (Reply 6):
A LCC-legacy-mix-carrier, which joined OneWorld, wanted to play with the big boys in the legacy market, made a pact with the devil (EY), not profitable for many years and theiy are not even realising that one reason for their misery is their steadily declining customer service...

In all seriousness, that is a shame. I hope this situation is rectified soon. Declining customer service yields a decline in butts in the seats, which yields a likely decrease in loads and ultimately a drop in revenue. That's how I see it anyway...

Then again, there are airlines with the worst customer service in the industry and somehow do ok...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Bongodog1964

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Quoting Aerosol (Reply 7):
I do Not know of any Air Berlin Ground Handling, so its not really their fault losing the bags - a captain leaving with 200 bags missing is another story...

If your name is on the ticket, ultimately the fault is yours, if your contacted baggage handlers are useless you should have employed someone more competent !

As to the captain leaving with 200 bags missing, I can only think of two scenarios bearing in mind that it was a short route and payload was unlikely to be a factor, either the captain decided to leave them behind as to wait would have caused a delay, or the captain was under the misapprehension that they had been loaded. If it were the former they should still be at the departing airport, if the latter there's a chance that the loaders may have sent them somewhere else.

Dufo

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:47 pm

No delay justifies leaving practically all luggage behind.
It must have been a gross error, and let's not blame anyone until all facts are known.
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

LAXintl

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:51 pm

This summer AB has seemingly been having an operational meltdown particularly ex TXL with huge volume of mishandled bags.

If you read twitter or facebook you'll see huge number of complaints.

Here at LAX, there looks to be a constant group of irate customers beating on the local AB handler after each flight for missing bags.

Terrible performance.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Bongodog1964

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Quoting Dufo (Reply 9):
No delay justifies leaving practically all luggage behind.

What if the crew would be out of hours, but within hours if they leave the bags behind ?

CrimsonNL

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:12 pm

It's a bit too easy to say the crew shouldn't have left without the bags, if we don't know specifics. For all we know there had been a major gridlock of the bagage system with no outlook in sight. You will piss off the pax of that flight if you leave without the bags. However if the aircraft is needed to operate more flights that day, and leaves badly delayed, you will ruin the travel plans of much more people. Also the crew duty hours and possible slot times have to be taken into account, among other things.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Paolo92

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:31 pm

I know that once, a very heavy TSRA was affecting FRA and afternoon/evening rotations got delayed, so one of the last LH flights departing for an outstation (a quite full E190) boarded all the pax and stood there waiting for the storm to calm down in order to load bags (with TS within a certain range from the airfield operations have to be stopped). They were out of time due to the night curfew in FRA so the captain decided to leave with no bags in the hold and all bags reached the final destination the next day with the first early morning flight.
Each evening, stars come out their daylight hiding places... But one of those, will be my wingtip, passing over...

DocLightning

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:32 pm

NW did this on a flight from LGW to DTW that I was on. 1/3 of a DC-10's passengers arrived without their bags. NW had no idea where they were or how it is that such a large number of bags were left on the ground at LGW.

Is this not also a safety issue? If the airline doesn't know that the bags weren't loaded, does the flight crew not know that the bags weren't loaded? Isn't it essential to safety that the flight crew know how much their aircraft weighs?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

LJ

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Quoting Aerosol (Reply 6):

If the bags aren't there when the plane is about to depart (and are lost thus unknown if they would be at the aircraft in time) than I hope the capatain recalculates the weight and balances and leaves. How long do you want a captain to wait for lost bags (moreover as they're still missing)?

N62NA

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:12 pm

A friend just had an awful experience with them. He was flying intra-Europe and he had to connect in Berlin. That's where they lost track of the bags. Then it took 2 weeks until they finally showed up and the contents of the bags were soggy as if the bags had been left out in the rain.

doug_or

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:44 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 14):
Is this not also a safety issue? If the airline doesn't know that the bags weren't loaded, does the flight crew not know that the bags weren't loaded? Isn't it essential to safety that the flight crew know how much their aircraft weighs?

It would most likely not be an issue of the crew not knowing what was on board, but that they have no idea how much was SUPPOSED to be on board.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Ty134A

Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:33 am

Here are some scenarios:

There is a daily flight and the current one has a slot, meaning that it will arrive VERY late at the destination. And it is not clear if the bag will arrive at the plane anyhow... so you fly and recon that you will send 100+ rush bags the next day...

Sometimes baggage gets lost on point of departure, and when there is a transfer flight, it won't arrive, so you tend to leave as a captain.

Imagine the baggage center is malfunctioning, and sorting the bags is done manually. 1: you don't have enaugh staff to process this quickly. 2: the workers earn VERY low saleries virtually on all airports for those kind of duties, so one should not expect them to care to much... so how long are you going to wait, especially if you don't have any spare planes in your fleet, and a delay of 2h+ would mean a whole lot of other delays within the schedule.

Actually I can only think of 2 forms of bags or cargo a flight would wait for a bit longer, and this would be animals as baggage and human remains in any form, as they are usually accompanied.

On the other hand, if there is only a weekly trip to a certain destination, and all the bag is missing, I can not imagine that a plane would leave without it.

I feel that currently we see a tendency decisions made througout the management of airlines, that are far away from the factual working environment. I mean we have a lot of academic staff sitting in offices that never have worked on the apron and not knowing the reality, but deciding. The best example is, that some airlines treat an A321 the same as a CRJ-700 or a Fokker 70/100 plane in terms of turn around time. And if they could, they would operate them with a 2/1 crew... They are both narrow bodies right?
flown on: TU3,TU5,T20,IL8,IL6,ILW,IL9,I14,YK4,YK2,AN2,AN4,A26,A28,A38,A40,A81,SU9,L4T,L11,D1C,M11,M80,M87,
AB4,AB6,318,313,342,343,345,346,712,703,722,732,735,741,742,743,74L,744,752,753,763,772,77W,J31,F50,F70,100,ATP,
142,143,AR8,AR1,SF3,S20,D38,MIH...

irishpower

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:59 am

Air Berlin is batting .500 for me. I have flow them 4 times since May and they have lost my bags twice.

The problem I have heard the the ground crews at TXL. When you transfer through TXL apparently the process of transferring bags is a difficult one and AB's ground crew hasn't been able to fix the problem

shufflemoomin

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:28 am

These replies make it sound like they didn't lose the bags at all. It seems like they knew where they were the whole time and just decided not to put them on the aircraft. Am I understanding that correctly?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos