Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

catiii
Topic Author

Savannah The Next JetBlue City?

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Interesting tweet from Dave Barger, JetBlue's CEO today:

@davidjbarger: Hmmm! Savannah's 3-letter code is SAV- seems like an airline should add new service and "SAV" customers from high fares, right?

The largest O/D destination from Savannah is Boston, so could Dave be foreshadowing an upcoming announcement by B6?

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Savannah The Next JetBlue City?

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:35 pm

That sounds pretty promising to me! I'm guessing service to BOS on E-190s, and possibly JFK if they can get the right slots (like they did dropping the PIT flights and using those slots for CHS).
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

catiii
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Agreed. The E-190 makes a ton of sense for both markets out of SAV.

srbmod

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:53 pm

I know the folks in Savannah have been complaining about the fares ever since FL left several years ago and other airlines' attempts in the market were less than successful. G4's stay at SAV was for about eight months (they were flying SAV-FLL twice a week) due to a lack of demand, and Vision's service lasted all of three months (The entire Vision VPS operation was short-lived anyway.).

If SAV is the next B6 city, it should fare much better than G4 and Vision, as they would likely serve markets people in SAV would like to go to and vice versa.

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 1):

That sounds pretty promising to me! I'm guessing service to BOS on E-190s, and possibly JFK if they can get the right slots (like they did dropping the PIT flights and using those slots for CHS).

I thought JFK only had slots during certain times of the day.

catiii
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 3):
G4's stay at SAV was for about eight months

G$ stayed just long enough to get the subsidy from the Chamber of Commerce...  

I know the Savannah Airport Commission has been working for the past few years on convincing B6 to come to SAV. In addition to the strong O/D potential to and from BOS, Hunter Army Airfield and Fort Stewart military bases employ about 45,000 people. The Savannah College of Art and Design attracts students from all over the world, and Savannah has also become a manufacturing center given its strong port.

Finally, I think Savannah has one of the nicest small city airports in America. It is a GREAT facility, that is underutilized.

jetbluefan1

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:04 pm

If Barger is tweeting it, then it's about as good as a done deal.

I would expect a similar schedule as CHS - 2x to JFK and 1x to BOS. Apparently CHS is exceeding expectations for B6, so this seems like a safe move given the similarities the two cities share.

JetBluefan1

airliner371

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 5):
If Barger is tweeting it, then it's about as good as a done deal.

I'm not saying this won't happen but Barger has tweeted many times similar to this about DTW and still nothing.

srbmod

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Quoting jetbluefan1 (Reply 5):
I would expect a similar schedule as CHS - 2x to JFK and 1x to BOS. Apparently CHS is exceeding expectations for B6, so this seems like a safe move given the similarities the two cities share.

I wonder if they're seeing a decent number of folks willing to make the drive from Savannah? A quick check shows that CHS-JFK nonstop is as cheap as $161.70 RT vs. $313.60 to fly SAV-ATL-JFK RT on DL That's definitely enough of a savings to make the drive (The drive between Savannah and Charleston would be about the same length as many of the layover options at ATL.) and that's one less flight each way to worry about.

catiii
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:18 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 7):

I wonder if they're seeing a decent number of folks willing to make the drive from Savannah? A quick check shows that CHS-JFK nonstop is as cheap as $161.70 RT vs. $313.60 to fly SAV-ATL-JFK RT on DL That's definitely enough of a savings to make the drive (The drive between Savannah and Charleston would be about the same length as many of the layover options at ATL.) and that's one less flight each way to worry about.

To expand on that, I wonder what the catchment area is along the SC coast. I know SAV brands itself as the Savannah/Hilton Head airport, but I wonder how far up they anticipate their catchment to be.

THEFLLFLYER

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:28 pm

It will be interesting to see what comes first....POS or SAV.

srbmod

Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:45 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 8):
To expand on that, I wonder what the catchment area is along the SC coast. I know SAV brands itself as the Savannah/Hilton Head airport, but I wonder how far up they anticipate their catchment to be.

Good point considering SAV is about halfway between CHS and JAX, which both have B6 service. Hilton Head is less than an hour from Savannah while it is about 2 hours from Charleston (Savannah to Charleston is pretty much the same distance as Hilton Head to Charleston due to the roads one has to take in order to get to Hilton Head from Charleston.).

I would guess the catchment area along the SC coast would include Hilton Head as well as Beaufort since they are a shorter drive to SAV than CHS.

LV

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:24 am

Quoting srbmod (Reply 10):
Good point considering SAV is about halfway between CHS and JAX, which both have B6 service. Hilton Head is less than an hour from Savannah while it is about 2 hours from Charleston (Savannah to Charleston is pretty much the same distance as Hilton Head to Charleston due to the roads one has to take in order to get to Hilton Head from Charleston.).

I would guess the catchment area along the SC coast would include Hilton Head as well as Beaufort since they are a shorter drive to SAV than CHS.

When my dad lived in Beaufort he would usually have me fly into JAX and drive down to get me. It was the most convient/ cost effective option for us.

JBAirwaysFan

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:36 am

Pretty sure DAB is on its way too. If not before, after SAV is announced, but on time for the races and busy season next year.
In Loving Memory of Casey Edward Falconer; May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Pellegrine

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:00 am

It would be nice for SAV. I'm a fan of the airport as well, used to fly DCA-SAV/IAD-SAV/DCA-CLT-SAV every month or so. JAX used to be cheaper to fly into from WAS, and maybe still is...but the drive from JAX to SAV is long for me anyway.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys. Citizenship/Residence::: Washington DC, US; Vaud, CH; Providenciales, TCI (hence my avi)

JetBlue1058

Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:42 am

Dave Barger is from Michagan. He always tweets about possible service there but this is not serious like this SAV airport talks have been. In the company we have know SAV and POS are coming.
DAB will always be in serious talks but until DAB can convince B6 service there is worth it when MCO a focus city, is close by, then service could start.
JetBlue E190 seats, 5D and 16A= no better place in the world

TSS

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:16 am

G4's stay at SAV was for about eight months (they were flying SAV-FLL twice a week) due to a lack of demand,

What a strange route to start out of SAV. I'm not surprised that one didn't do well.

If SAV is the next B6 city, it should fare much better than G4 and Vision, as they would likely serve markets people in SAV would like to go to and vice versa.
Quoting catiii (Reply 4):
I know the Savannah Airport Commission has been working for the past few years on convincing B6 to come to SAV. In addition to the strong O/D potential to and from BOS, Hunter Army Airfield and Fort Stewart military bases employ about 45,000 people. The Savannah College of Art and Design attracts students from all over the world, and Savannah has also become a manufacturing center given its strong port.

A lot of snowbirds seem to like to take winter vacations in Savannah as well, so I'd think the best plan would be to provide connection(s) to major hub(s), particularly those on the northern part of the eastern seaboard, for the military folk, college students, and snowbirds.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

icebird757

Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:33 am

My guess:

2x - BOS
1x - JFK
I kick chocks

jfklganyc

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:10 pm

Quoting icebird757 (Reply 16):
My guess:

2x - BOS
1x - JFK

My guess...reverse of that  

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:40 pm

BOS and JFK would make a lot of sense for the Georgia barrier island and Hilton Head traffic, highly popular vacation destinations for the major east coast cities.

I know the folks in Savannah have been complaining about the fares ever since FL left several years ago and other airlines' attempts in the market were less than successful. G4's stay at SAV was for about eight months (they were flying SAV-FLL twice a week) due to a lack of demand, and Vision's service lasted all of three months (The entire Vision VPS operation was short-lived anyway.).

Like others, not surprised to see the FLL service not work. Not enough originating traffic in SAV to make that one work.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 7):

It was amazing how dramatically the fares when up once FL left SAV. Due to the huge increase in fares, we started going to CHS instead of SAV to go to Hilton Head. SAV is a shorter drive, but when the fare diffference was over $200, multiply by 4 people, that is a significant amount of savings and worth the extra hour of driving.

STT757

Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 18):
BOS and JFK would make a lot of sense for the Georgia barrier island and Hilton Head traffic, highly popular vacation destinations for the major east coast cities.

For Hilton Head South Carolina Savanah is a good option. For St.Simon's, Jeykll and Cumberland islands JAX is the better option. Spent a Summer for training in the Brunswick area and we were flown in and out of JAX.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

adamh8297

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 17):

My guess is a daily each.

CHS is bigger market than SAV from NYC and warrants the double daily.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

yellowtail

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:46 am

i wish he would tweet about BZE. C'mon Dave!
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

Noise

Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:46 am

What kind of market is there for business travel between JFK/BOS and SAV?

jfklganyc

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Quoting Noise (Reply 22):
What kind of market is there for business travel between JFK/BOS and SAV?

Despite attempts, JetBlue is not a business airline. They get some business overflow at JFK and they are really trying for the business customer in BOS. But let's face it, their DOT on time rating is in the mid 50s for the year right now...they just cant fly a flight on time. This is not what a "business-oriented" airline looks like.

They will do good in SAV...it fits the CHS/JAX/RDU/CLT model. They seem to fill up these flights and make money.

ASA

Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 23):
Despite attempts, JetBlue is not a business airline. They get some business overflow at JFK and they are really trying for the business customer in BOS. But let's face it, their DOT on time rating is in the mid 50s for the year right now...they just cant fly a flight on time. This is not what a "business-oriented" airline looks like.

Does anyone have the on-time performance metrics for B6 and other airlines in the USA? Is jetBlue experiencing delays just recently (due to their IT network problems) or has that been the case always?

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 24):
Does anyone have the on-time performance metrics for B6 and other airlines in the USA? Is jetBlue experiencing delays just recently (due to their IT network problems) or has that been the case always?

It seems to be just recently as I have only once in my life been on a JetBlue flight that was delayed and it was due to weather at JFK.

As per BTS on-time stats for the period from July 2012 to July 2013:

JetBlue: 73.97% with only 7.38% being "air-carrier" delays
Delta (mainline): 84.11%
American: 74.17%
United: 76.95%
US Airways: 76.14%
Virgin America: 81.48%
Alaska: 87.37%
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

YQBexYHZBGM

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:43 pm

While Savannah is not an important city for "regular" business travel, the city has a world-class convention center, and is an important destination for conventions and conferences. It is an important marine port, which likely also generates a fair percentage of business air travel. Nearby Fort Stewart attracts a fair number of business travelers who represent military contractors and suppliers. But, most importantly, SAV is a major tourist destination, both for its historic character and architecture (it has one of the largest urban historic districts in the U.S.) and for golf / resort vacations. I don't know the stats on honeymoon travel, but it would be one of my top picks for that as well.

SAV worked well for New York Air in the 1980s; I believe it was one of their initial launch destinations. It does not surprise me that G4 to FLL failed, though, given that SAV is only a few hours' drive from the Florida border. I would imagine that most SAV residents would tend to drive down rather than fly and rent a car. Driving has to be more economical when there are more than two passengers (i.e., family vacation or weekend getaway travel).

All in all, I think B6 would be a good fit for Savannah, and vice-versa.

Al
YQBexYHZBGM

Noise

Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:56 pm

I understand most of the traffic to/from SAV is generated from leisure passengers, but there must be some businesses that operate from SAV, no? How much of a business market is it compared to other cities its size?

adamh8297

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 25):
Delta (mainline): 84.11%

Always helps to block off 3 hours for the ATL-BOS flights.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

727LOVER

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Quoting JBAirwaysFan (Reply 12):
Pretty sure DAB is on its way too. If not before, after SAV is announced, but on time for the races and busy season next year.

I don't see this happening before June. Why would they start in January/February, in the middle of peak season? November/December would be more likely and it's getting late for that timeframe.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Metjetceo

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:31 am

For SAV the market goes inland. Though populations are scarce SAV realistically can draw from 125 miles inland up to Augusta and south

airliner371

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:26 am

Its official, service starts in February.

jetlanta

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:31 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 29):
I don't see this happening before June. Why would they start in January/February, in the middle of peak season? November/December would be more likely and it's getting late for that timeframe.

Tourism starts to to kick in in early March for the Savannah & Hilton Head regions. St. Patrick's Day is a HUGE weekend in Savannah. On the other hand, the dead of winter is pretty dead for Hilton Head. Savannah enjoys year-round popularity.

YQBexYHZBGM

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:13 pm

Quoting airliner371 (Reply 31):

Its official, service starts in February.

Great! I thought this was all just a.net speculation.  

I wish them luck. And to those who just want to fly B6 someplace, go to SAV, it is a beautiful city to visit.

Al

deltairlines

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:28 pm

http://www.jetblue.com/deals/new-ser...w_Eng__Jetblue-new-service20130912

SAV-JFK, starts 13Feb. No word on frequencies. No mention of BOS.

THEFLLFLYER

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Quoting deltairlines (Reply 34):
No word on frequencies.

2x daily

Quoting deltairlines (Reply 34):
No mention of BOS.

Nope.

Cubsrule

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 23):
But let's face it, their DOT on time rating is in the mid 50s for the year right now...they just cant fly a flight on time. This is not what a "business-oriented" airline looks like.

How much of that is airport-specific, though? At JFK year to date, B6 is at about 26 percent of flights delayed versus 23 percent overall. B6 only cancels less than half of the JFK average. It's a similar story at BOS.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

AVLAirlineFreq

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Quoting metjetCEO (Reply 30):

For SAV the market goes inland. Though populations are scarce SAV realistically can draw from 125 miles inland up to Augusta and south

There's no good way to get from Augusta to SAV--Augusta's biggest leakage is down I-20 to ATL. SAV does have Hilton Head and coastal Georgia north of Jekyll.

There is, however, a large military presence in the area with Fort Stewart nearby.

727LOVER

Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Quoting jetlanta (Reply 32):
Tourism starts to to kick in in early March for the Savannah & Hilton Head regions. St. Patrick's Day is a HUGE weekend in Savannah. On the other hand, the dead of winter is pretty dead for Hilton Head. Savannah enjoys year-round popularity.

Just to be clear, I was referring to DAB......which is what someone else referenced.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos