Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airjamaica

RE: GreenHeart Soars..Jamaican Thread 47

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:21 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 148):
Yesterday, OJ operated KIN-JFK-KIN..No service operated to YYZ, which means the aircraft will not operate till Thurs..

Was that YYZ cancellation as a result of the inclement weather that was in that area recently ?

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 149):
AA

MIA-KIN
16344-14513 89%..Not bad for 4 flights a day..This service returns next year to last from Jun-Aug14.

AA is enjoying the advantage of being the only carrier on KIN-MIA. If by any chance I have to make a connection again, I will opt for that DL connection in ATL though.

For the first time in Jamaica's history the island will welcome 2 million stop over visitors in a given year. That passenger will arrive on AA 380 into MBJ from MIA.

'' Today, Jamaica will welcome its two millionth stopover visitor in a year, when American Airlines, flight 380 from Miami, Florida, touches down at the Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay, St James. ''

'' Jamaica now has airlift provided by carriers such as Copa in the Latin American market, and Transaero, which opened up the market in Russia. ''

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20131229/news/news1.html

Great achievement and good job by the tourism officials to accomplish this history making accolade. Interesting to note also that the Russian market is expected to grow even more, with familiarization trips for travel agents from that country being organised by Sandals Resorts.
airjamaica

yellowtail

Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:44 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 148):
Correct, but from what I am told, a nonstop service would allow market expansion..

But expansion in the low yield marketplace….from an economic point of view for the carrier, better to add flights from IAH and DFW and have those flow over those hubs.

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 150):
If by any chance I have to make a connection again, I will opt for that DL connection in ATL though.

Wise choice. that is what i do now…..If it involves a connection, ATL or DFW it is. avoid MIA and IAH like the plague. CLT is pretty good too.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

airjamaica

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:59 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 151):
Wise choice. that is what i do now…..If it involves a connection, ATL or DFW it is. avoid MIA and IAH like the plague. CLT is pretty good too.

After connecting at MIA several times in the past on AA to other destinations, I have vowed never to do it again if possible. On all those trips it was very chaotic and tiring, with frequent gate changes and long walks to the other gates, crowded immigration halls etc. Myself heard that CLT isn't bad either, as I have cousins who always use that airport when connecting to/from MBJ.
airjamaica

yellowtail

Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:06 pm

My last transit through ATL….BZE-ATL-MSP had me from international airplane arrival door to gate of next flight in 25 min. That is with a bag re-check, immigration et al.

No way in hell you would ever do that in MIA….even on the best of days.

guyanam

Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 152):

I see that nothing has changed in six years. Despite the "improved" facilities.

Last time I used MIA I felt like Mary and Joseph in no room at the inn. Totally neglected and abused. The AA personnel at MIA must be the rudest people. Not only are they gate changes, but sometimes the flights doesn;t even appear on the monitors! There was one which entailed a 20 minute walk and an elderly Haitian man collapsed and people had to hold him up on those moving passageways. No help from AA ground crews of course.

Certainly NOT the airport for the elderly auntie coming to visit her nieces and nephews. Unless she can get a wheel chair.

airjamaica

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 154):

Horrible episode indeed but I am not too surprised. Experienced a similar situation doing ATL-MIA-KIN back in 2009. After enduring the multiple gate changes, criss crossing MIA airport ( which is by no means small ) etc., an elderly woman on the KIN connection needed assistance with a wheel chair. There were several airport personnel there and all of them were mulling around as if trying to decide if they should assist her or not. Believe it or not a passenger on our flight decided to assist the lady and it was only then that they all came running to offer assistance. The good " Samaritan " told them it was OK. She will handle it. Haven't used MIA since then, but based on what is said by people I know who used it even recently, much is left to be desired despite their much touted upgrades.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 153):
My last transit through ATL….BZE-ATL-MSP had me from international airplane arrival door to gate of next flight in 25 min. That is with a bag re-check, immigration et al.
No way in hell you would ever do that in MIA….even on the best of days.

I agree. I did KIN-MIA-EWR once on AA and it took me almost two and a half hours to clear immigration, re-check and get to the gate of connecting flight at MIA.

The couple who took the visitor count to the island to the historic 2 million mark were presented with return tickets to Jamaica courtesy of AA and free accommodation at the Grand Palladium Resort. They flew BOS-MIA-MBJ yesterday on AA..............

'' Alexis Greiner and her husband, Craig, who arrived on American Airlines, Flight 380, from Miami, Florida, were met and fêted by tourism officials on arrival as they brought the visitor arrival to the magic number.

Alexis, a financial analyst, and Craig, a public relations consultant, who are vacationing at Jewel Runaway Bay in St Ann, were presented with gifts, including return tickets to the island courtesy of American Airlines and accommodation at the Grand Palladium Resort. ''

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20131230/lead/lead2.html

I am sure they appreciated that gesture by the JTB and must be happy they chose Jamaica for their winter vacation as they were surprised with an all expense paid return trip to the island.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:04 pm

Good news for KIN..InterCaribbean Airways ( fr Air Turks and Caicos) will launch domestic and international flights from Jamaica eff Jan20..Also, on this date, PLS-KIN will increase to 4 weekly...

InterCaribbean Airways (JY, Providenciales) will launch its maiden domestic Jamaican flights with effect from January 20, 2014. ch-aviation schedule data shows that twice daily Kingston Norman Manley to Montego Bay flights will début on January 20. Operations are on-board an EMB-120 and still pending final government approval. According to interCaribbean's CEO Trevor Sadler, it will be the first non-Jamaican airline to offer domestic services in the country. The Turks & Caicos carrier will also launch a 3x weekly Kingston to Santo Domingo Las Américas service on January 21, 2014.

http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/new...stic-jamaican-flights-from-january

KIN-PLS
Mo We Fr Su
Dep 10:25am- Arr 12:05p

PLS-KIN
Mo Tu Th Sa
Dep 4:25pm- Arr 6:05pm

KIN-SDQ
Tu Th
Dep 10:30am- Arr 1:20pm
Sa
Dep 12:00pm-Arr 2:50pm.

SDQ-KIN
We,Fr Su
Dep 3:40pm- Arr 4:30pm

KIN-MBJ
Dep 08:30 Arr09:05
Dep 6:35pm Arr 7:10pm.

MBJ-KIN
Dep 09:20 Arr09:55
Dep 19:30 Arr20:05

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to their Facebook page, Sunrise Airways of Haiti operated charter flights to KIN on Dec 20..

https://www.facebook.com/SunriseAirways

More info about Sunrise Airways..

Sunrise Airways (IATA: S6) is a new Haitian owned commercial airline launched in November 2012 that aims to establish a hub in Port-au-Prince to better serve air travel needs within the Western Caribbean. The airline currently operates daily scheduled passenger service between Cap Haitien and Providenciales, Turks & Caicos, as well as domestic routes within Haiti, and charter flights to various gateways throughout the Western Caribbean. New service to Holguin, Havana and Santiago in Cuba, Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, and Kingston, Jamaica are planned for 2013. Sunrise Airways owns and operates a fleet comprised of Jetstream 32 EP aircraft offering the comfort of leather seating and ample in-cabin cargo room for a maximum capacity of 19 passengers. Headquartered in Port-au-Prince with a dedicated maintenance facility in Santiago, Dominican Republic, Sunrise Airways is owned by noted Haitian businessman and philanthropist, Philippe Bayard. Members of the airline’s leadership team average more than 15 years of aviation experience with such well-known industry brands as Aerocaribbean, Air Jamaica, BAE Systems, Condor Airlines, Jamaica Air Shuttle, and LAN Airlines.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was that KIN-http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FJM141

Great achievement and good job by the tourism officials to accomplish this history making accolade. Interesting to note also that the Russian market is expected to grow even more, with familiarization trips for travel agents from that country being organised by Sandals Resorts.

I agree..I expect to see Transaero twice weekly for W2015..

[Edited 2013-12-31 05:42:21]
The sky is the limit, but never stop grasping until you get the glory cloud..

yellowtail

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:52 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 156):
Sunrise Airways owns and operates a fleet comprised of Jetstream 32 EP

Oh boy, they couldn't have picked a worse aircraft. Sure, they might be cheap (almost free) to get but the parts, maintenance etc are horribly expensive and they are not known to be very economical. The cheap acquisition often presents an illusion of cheap startup costs.

At 19 seats I hope they have down their homework on the CASM.

I know I have run the J32 numbers on a consulting proj of mine….and they were not pretty. the 1900D ran circles around it and those were not cheap to operate either.

I wish them all the best.

yankeejuliet

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 157):

Agreed, this is not a good choice. Parts can only be found in large quantities in Pourtsmouth NH, USA. at the third generation PAN AM HQ. Many of these parts are used and very expensive as PAN AM operated a large fleet of the aircraft of which many are broken up. Skylan airways which went under, is a good victim of Jetstream operations.

yellowtail

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:50 pm

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 158):
Skylan airways which went under, is a good victim of Jetstream operations.

The list of J32 victims is very long.

MSYtristar

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Miami Air International will be flying seasonal, 1X weekly MSY-MBJ service on behalf of Vacation Express starting in May. It'll be the first nonstop service in the market in about 10 years.

yankeejuliet

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:44 pm

[quote=MSYtristar,reply=160]
This is good news, this region has always been overlooked by Jamaican tourism authorities.

yankeejuliet

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:52 pm

What is the fate of the two ex JM 727-2JO which was operated until recently by third generation PAN AM. They were registered at 6Y-JMN & 6Y-JMO. Anyone?

airjamaica

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 160):
Miami Air International will be flying seasonal, 1X weekly MSY-MBJ service on behalf of Vacation Express starting in May. It'll be the first nonstop service in the market in about 10 years.
Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 161):
This is good news, this region has always been overlooked by Jamaican tourism authorities

Interesting. Very welcome news indeed. Hopefully, over time this seasonal service stick around if the demand is there. Which carrier ( s ) operated between MSY and MBJ in the past nonstop ?
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:19 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 160):
Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 161):
[quote=MSYtristar,reply=160]
This is good news, this region has always been overlooked by Jamaican tourism authorities.
Quoting airjamaica (Reply 163):
Interesting. Very welcome news indeed. Hopefully, over time this seasonal service stick around if the demand is there. Which carrier ( s ) operated between MSY and MBJ in the past nonstop ?

Nice to see the return of MSY-MBJ... SY flew the route in the past with a mixture of DC10 and B727s.. At around 1998/1999, the summer flights were scheduled on Thurs with two flights, that arrived in MBJ in the late evening... I know this from memory, as my former hotel would accommodate the bulk of these pax..

I have also seen Champion Air operate the route for a short period with their B727...

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 162):
What is the fate of the two ex JM 727-2JO which was operated until recently by third generation PAN AM. They were registered at 6Y-JMN & 6Y-JMO. Anyone?

This is the latest info I found on both aircraft..

9Y-JMO

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N364PA.html

9Y-JMN
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N362PA.html

airjamaica

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 164):
SY flew the route in the past with a mixture of DC10 and B727s.. At around 1998/1999, the summer flights were scheduled on Thurs with two flights, that arrived in MBJ in the late evening
I have also seen Champion Air operate the route for a short period with their B727...

These services didn't exist when I was in ATC. Or they were very rare operations if they did, when I was there. I also recall NW operating TPA-MBJ daily with the B727 and subsequently the A320.

'' The official report on the AA 331 crash at KIN back in 2009 may be out by March.......................

'' That report detailed that the air traffic controllers at the airport had advised the AA331 flight crew that it might be necessary for the aircraft to " circle to land on runway 30 due to an indicated (tail) wind from 320 degrees at 10 knots "

This advice was however not followed. ''

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140103/lead/lead4.html

Lets see if it will be ready by then.

The bus driver who assisted with the rescue of the injured passengers of AA 331 is contending that some promises that were made to her for her effort was not fulfilled.........................

'' The day after American Airlines Flight 331 overshot the runway at the Norman Manley International Airport and broke apart along the Palisadoes shoreline in Kingston in December 2009, bus driver Annette Howard became a 'hero', showered with praises and promises.

But four years after the Jamaica Urban Transit Company driver helped rescue more than 100 injured passengers, she claims few of those promises have been fulfilled. ''

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140103/lead/lead3.html

Was expecting to see a story like this.
airjamaica

yellowtail

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Any indication how KIN-ATL is doing? I have checked adv loads in the GDS for a few of the flights and it looks to be feast or famine.

yankeejuliet

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:33 pm

This is the latest info I found on both aircraft..

9Y-JMO

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N364PA.html

9Y-JMN
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N362PA.html

Thanks Hummingbird, i know that 6Y-JMM & 6Y-JMP still flies today, after 39 years, with two private freight operators in South America. All other aircraft of the original 1970'fleet have been broken up at various points in USA , with the exception of DC-9 32 ( formerly 6Y-JIJ ) which is preserved in US Army storage.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:46 pm

Yet, another local carrier offering services between KTP and MBJ..

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/936636_554370174655344_195612066_n_zps26cddce1.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/1471301_552796074812754_790442934_n_zpsd799e97e.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/551425_551353918290303_1422297255_n_zps075d3ad4.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

InterCaribbean Airways, will now offer direct services to SJU from MBJ and KIN..

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/interc...es-flights-san-juan-203600998.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 165):
hese services didn't exist when I was in ATC. Or they were very rare operations if they did, when I was there. I also recall NW operating TPA-MBJ daily with the B727 and subsequently the A320.

I remember those days with their B727 from TPA..The flight that had a mixture of VFR and tourist traffic..Services were eventually switched from TPA-MEM, until DL ended the service..

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 165):
'' That report detailed that the air traffic controllers at the airport had advised the AA331 flight crew that it might be necessary for the aircraft to " circle to land on runway 30 due to an indicated (tail) wind from 320 degrees at 10 knots "

This advice was however not followed. ''

Cant wait to see the full report..

Quoting yankeejuliet (Reply 167):
Thanks Hummingbird, i know that 6Y-JMM & 6Y-JMP still flies today, after 39 years, with two private freight operators in South America. All other aircraft of the original 1970'fleet have been broken up at various points in USA , with the exception of DC-9 32 ( formerly 6Y-JIJ ) which is preserved in US Army storage.

You are welcome..

--------------------------------------------------------

BTW, yesterday, BW operated 3 flights to FLL from KIN...

jm017

Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:40 pm

AA is enjoying the advantage of being the only carrier on KIN-MIA. If by any chance I have to make a connection again, I will opt for that DL connection in ATL though.

I just did that connection through ATL and I vowed never again. DL somehow managed to botch a 2.5 hour transfer window in ATL on my return. The inbound flight came into KIN half an hour late and there was absolutely no effort to expedite boarding of the aircraft to help passengers having to connect in ATL. Consequently, we left KIN about 2 hours late. While waiting to board the flight, an AA 737 came in AFTER the DL flight, was serviced, boarded and left KIN. All while the DL flight hadn't even begun boarding.

I understand flights being late, and generally have zero expectations of flights being on time. But the flight crew was disinterested and unhelpful. They did not acknowledge the need to make connections, did not acknowledge the flight being late, nothing. In contrast, while my flight to ATL from DCA was late, the flight crew hustled to expedite boarding and takeoff.

Beyond the flights themselves, immigration at ATL was frustratingly slow and the security lines are unorganized beyond words. MIA probably isn't a ray of sunshine either.

Unfortunately with few options to KIN, I am forced to consider AA or flights to MBJ.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

guyanam

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:15 pm

Quoting JM017 (Reply 169):

Is odd that DL on the KIN ATL was so lax, given that the flight is new, so hasn't established loyalty yet, plus the majority of the passengers were probably intransits.

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 168):

That 3rd flight might have been to replace a canceled flight on Friday. I know that happened on the JFK routes. One of the challenges of major weather problems is that it impacts even other routes in terms of aircraft and crew availability. And with a small airline like BW it gets even more challenging.

yellowtail

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:33 pm

I just did that connection through ATL and I vowed never again. DL somehow managed to botch a 2.5 hour transfer window in ATL on my return. The inbound flight came into KIN half an hour late and there was absolutely no effort to expedite boarding of the aircraft to help passengers having to connect in ATL.
Beyond the flights themselves, immigration at ATL was frustratingly slow and the security lines are unorganized beyond words.

Can't speak for DL procedures, but I know many many folks that ONLY use ATL if they absolutely must make a connection….I have never heard of a single problem or hiccup related to immigration / customs or the airport there during normal operations there. It is always a breeze …whether flying in from JNB at 6am, PTY at 10am, CUN at 2pm or BZE at 5:30pm.

In general, FIS officers personalities are a mix bag, no matter where you get them, but the process itself in ATL, especially since they split the arrivals is exceedingly fast. It must be, the only reason for ATL's existence is connections. If they are horrible at that people will go elsewhere.

MIA probably isn't a ray of sunshine either.

well, its worse especially in the F arrivals concourse.

Quoting guyanam (Reply 170):
Is odd that DL on the KIN ATL was so lax, given that the flight is new, so hasn't established loyalty yet, plus the majority of the passengers were probably intransits.

I think therein lies the problem…the staff are probably still learning the procedure. Sometimes something simple as paperwork with a new flight plan can cause a serious delay if the staff don't know what to do.

And to be fair, I have had the same uncaring about your connections issue with all the carriers I have flown…EXCEPT WN.

guyanam

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:52 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 171):

Well depending on when he flew last week's storms blew a whole in crewing and so maybe this crew wasn't the normal ones who know how to handle international flights and the heightened scrutiny if flying into US air space.

jm017

Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:53 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 172):
Well depending on when he flew last week's storms blew a whole in crewing and so maybe this crew wasn't the normal ones who know how to handle international flights and the heightened scrutiny if flying into US air space.

Well, they were an ATL-based crew, so maybe they just do not share the sense of urgency that crews based elsewhere would have had. Who knows? I do not know if they were the normal crew or not.

There were weather-related issues, but that does not affect servicing the once-a-day flight in KIN. Or the crew being informative in the face of a delay. Or making the delay worse.

A shame, I really like Delta. But it really is challenging to consider them when going to KIN. But, it's nice to have another option into KIN.

And to be fair, I have had the same uncaring about your connections issue with all the carriers I have flown…EXCEPT WN.

I have found WN and US (into PHL anyway) to be pretty good.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 166):
Any indication how KIN-ATL is doing? I have checked adv loads in the GDS for a few of the flights and it looks to be feast or famine.

The rest of the month is average..I know things will pick up after Mar/Apr..

That 3rd flight might have been to replace a canceled flight on Friday. I know that happened on the JFK routes. One of the challenges of major weather problems is that it impacts even other routes in terms of aircraft and crew availability. And with a small airline like BW it gets even more challenging.
BW recovered quickly from the storm..

B6 have been cancelling flights from JFK and FLL into KIN...They are getting hammered by the local press..Corporate have got wind of the issue and will dispatch aircraft to KIN as soon as operations resume..The two A320s that have been in KIN since Mon am, will return to JFK tonight..

FlyJam have also been affected by this storm..Their aircraft experienced two lengthy delays in JFK..The flights are now runnning a day behind...

[Edited 2014-01-06 16:46:26]

guyanam

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:21 am

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 174):

Ironically the only serious casualty for BW seems to be because one of the 767 jets went tech so all weekend the GEO JFK flights were running with serious delays. But to give them credit, a few flights were canceled, but were replaced by the latest the next day, so passengers weren't abandoned. In NYC the belief is that B6 is using the cold weather tomorrow as an excuse to catch up on its mispositioned planes/crews as it will be cold, but not much more so than other very cold spells that we have had, and there isn't any snow expected, BW doesn't appear to be canceling any flights.

Ithnk that BW is trying to provide better service, but they still have to work with their ground contractors (baggage and checkin)..

bjorn14

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:31 am

Can OCR handle jets (E75ish)?

Glad to see all the love MBJ is getting but when do they run out of hotel capacity?

[Edited 2014-01-07 03:33:42]
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

airjamaica

Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:21 pm

I just did that connection through ATL and I vowed never again.

Funny enough, out of all the US airports I have used so far, ATL was the smoothest for me in terms of immigration etc on arrival. Outbound, the screening section can be very crowded, and not surprising as we are talking about the world's busiest airport here, but I did pass through fairly quickly considering the number of passengers flowing through that airport daily. Maybe it was ' one of those airport days ' for you.

MIA probably isn't a ray of sunshine either.

Not at all.

Unfortunately with few options to KIN, I am forced to consider AA or flights to MBJ.

An increasing number of travellers are opting to use Knutsford Express from/to Kingston for flights from/to MBJ. Not the most ideal option, but its a comfortable cross island ride which I have now gotten used to. But yes, connection options to KIN is quite limited.

well, its worse especially in the F arrivals concourse.

I know about that F concourse at MIA. Not a pleasant location to be.

Quoting JM017 (Reply 173):
Or the crew being informative in the face of a delay.

That is one of the biggest pet peeves for passengers I think. Lack of communication and related information from airline staff.

The rest of the month is average..I know things will pick up after Mar/Apr..

I expect summer will be good for them.

FlyJam have also been affected by this storm..Their aircraft experienced two lengthy delays in JFK..The flights are now runnning a day behind...

I know they scheduled a JFK-KIN flight for 11:00 pm Sunday. Not sure if they made it out.

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 176):

Think the runway would have to be lengthened a bit.

Glad to see all the love MBJ is getting but when do they run out of hotel capacity?

Well they recently opened RIU Palace next to RIU Montego Bay and are also on the process to adding additional rooms to other existing properties.
airjamaica

yellowtail

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:53 pm

Over in the Carribbean thread, a poster put on a recent example that happened to him where is UA flight got delayed in GCM for 1 hour due to paperwork…..

crap happens……often it is beyond the control of the airline and the airlines are actually bound from giving a thorough explanation to its pax esp if has to do with the DHS etc.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:21 pm

FJM has updated their schedule..
Monday January 6, 2014

Due to adverse weather conditions in North America, the following Fly Jamaica flights have been delayed;

OJ151 scheduled to depart KIN on 05th January to GEO now estimated to depart KIN 06th January at 5:00PM to arrive GEO at 9:30PM

OJ150 scheduled to depart GEO on 06th January to KIN now estimated to depart GEO 06th January at 10:30PM to arrive KIN at 1:00AM

OJ121 scheduled to depart KIN on 06th January to JFK now estimated to depart KIN 07th January at 3:00AM to arrive JFK at 7:00AM

OJ120 scheduled to depart JFK on 06th January to KIN now estimated to depart JFK 07th January at 9:00AM to arrive KIN at 12:50PM

Passengers originally scheduled to depart on OJ122/07th Jan at 12:25AM will be accommodated on OJ120 (which will now depart on 07 at 9:00 am).

OJ123 scheduled to depart KIN on 06th January to JFK now estimated to depart KIN 07th January at 2:00PM to arrive JFK at 6:00PM

In general, customers are encouraged to check their flight status before heading to the airport.

---------------------------------------------------------------

InterCaribbean Airways will connect KIN daily from PLS..4 flights will operate nonstop..The other 3 will operate PLS-SDQ-KIN..

Providenciales – Kingston
JY250 PLS1625 – 1805KIN EM2 x357
JY251 KIN1025 – 1205PLS EM2 x246

Providenciales – Santo Domingo – Kingston
JY233 PLS1245 – 1500SDQ1540 – 1630KIN EM2 357
JY234 KIN1030 – 1320SDQ1530 – 1545PLS EM2 24
JY234 KIN1200 – 1450SDQ1530 – 1545PLS EM2 6

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoting guyanam (Reply 175):
Ironically the only serious casualty for BW seems to be because one of the 767 jets went tech so all weekend the GEO JFK flights were running with serious delays. But to give them credit, a few flights were canceled, but were replaced by the latest the next day, so passengers weren't abandoned.

Agree..

Quoting guyanam (Reply 175):
In NYC the belief is that B6 is using the cold weather tomorrow as an excuse to catch up on its mispositioned planes/crews as it will be cold, but not much more so than other very cold spells that we have had, and there isn't any snow expected, BW doesn't appear to be canceling any flights.

I assume during these few days, FJM should not have an empty seats on their flights as B6 will now loose these pax..

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 177):
Think the runway would have to be lengthened a bit.

I doubt it..

It happened this past December..

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 177):
I know they scheduled a JFK-KIN flight for 11:00 pm Sunday. Not sure if they made it out.

Yes, it departed...

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 178):
crap happens……often it is beyond the control of the airline and the airlines are actually bound from giving a thorough explanation to its pax esp if has to do with the DHS etc.

Not to mention when airports are experiencing weather related delays, ATC becomes congested, then airports become slot restricted..

I remember during this storm, a notice was sent to all inbound traffic to JFK to remain at departure location till 10:00am..

bjorn14

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:44 am

Will Negril ev er get a proper airport?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

airjamaica

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:07 pm

The recent push into non traditional markets such as Russia seem to be much more successful than what many would think........

'' The island welcomed 14,000 Eastern European stopover arrivals in the first 10 months of 2013 with more than three-quarters from Russia. The growth of this market up some 200 per cent year on year compensates for the fall-out in mature Western European markets recovering from economic uncertainty. Consequently, Europe rose some 5.1 per cent year to date. ''

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...-for-colder-times-in-2014_15748705

It is no wonder UN decided to switch from the B772 to the B744 on their MBJ operations. Impressive.

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 180):
Will Negril ev er get a proper airport?

Not sure what plans they have for that.
airjamaica

A388

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:16 pm

Hello everybody,

My apologies for the late post. I have been very busy at work and at home but I wish you all a Very Happy New Year too and may all your wishes become a reality this year. All the best for 2014 and beyond!!!

Cheers,

A388

airjamaica

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 182):

Thanks and same to you as well.
airjamaica

caribbean484

Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:12 am

Happy New Year to everyone and all the best.

BW recovered quickly from the storm..

B6 have been cancelling flights from JFK and FLL into KIN...They are getting hammered by the local press..Corporate have got wind of the issue and will dispatch aircraft to KIN as soon as operations resume

Last weekend was a terrible travel experience in the Mid West and the Northeast there were high winds, below normal temperatures, ice rain and slowdown at the airports.
B6 took a PR beating which is unfortunate, because of the weather and new rules all happened at the same time.
All ah we is one family

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 181):
The island welcomed 14,000 Eastern European stopover arrivals in the first 10 months of 2013 with more than three-quarters from Russia. The growth of this market up some 200 per cent year on year compensates for the fall-out in mature Western European markets recovering from economic uncertainty. Consequently, Europe rose some 5.1 per cent year to date. ''

Such impressive growth..

Quoting A388 (Reply 182):
My apologies for the late post. I have been very busy at work and at home but I wish you all a Very Happy New Year too and may all your wishes become a reality this year. All the best for 2014 and beyond!!!
Quoting airjamaica (Reply 183):
Thanks and same to you as well.
Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 184):

Happy New Year..2014 should be another interesting year for Caribbean Aviation..

Last weekend was a terrible travel experience in the Mid West and the Northeast there were high winds, below normal temperatures, ice rain and slowdown at the airports.
B6 took a PR beating which is unfortunate, because of the weather and new rules all happened at the same time.

Surprisingly, B6 operated 3 flights from JFK to KIN yesterday...Both flights scheduled for today are also booked..
With 3 carriers serving the market, am curious to see if BW would deploy their B763 on KIN-JFK sector for S14..

caribbean484

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 185):
Surprisingly, B6 operated 3 flights from JFK to KIN yesterday...Both flights scheduled for today are also booked..
With 3 carriers serving the market, am curious to see if BW would deploy their B763 on KIN-JFK sector for S14..

Well they have reset their ops and things to becoming better.

From my internal source the CAL board's plan is to optimize the 738 fleet, focus on better customer relations and to grow Jamaica operations. What I have been told was that many in the management were not in agreement with the last CFO when he decided to draw down the KIN ops. Now the airline is looking to increase the flights to where they were before.
We will have to wait to see how it plays out, hopefully it works out well.
All ah we is one family

airjamaica

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:53 am

Happy New Year as well.

Such impressive growth..

There was a newspaper article recently which indicated that some 300 tourism workers will be trained in conversational Russian and Spanish as there is an aggressive drive to increase visitor arrivals from Russia and Latin American countries. Very smart move I think and will be beneficial for the sector.

Despite its horrible arrival and departure times, the extra JFK-KIN flight seem to be enjoying good loads for the season in general. Don't like that schedule though.

[Edited 2014-01-09 19:58:47]
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:59 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 186):
From my internal source the CAL board's plan is to optimize the 738 fleet, focus on better customer relations and to grow Jamaica operations.
Now the airline is looking to increase the flights to where they were before.

They have increased flights for the winter..

Caribbean Airlines has boosted its schedules to and from Jamaica now through to April 2014, in response to the usual hike in travel during the winter season.

Passengers can now choose from four weekly flights between Kingston and New York-JFK. The new schedule includes two non-stop flights—Fridays and Sundays—and two flights stopping in Montego Bay on Mondays and Thursdays.

Kingston/JFK
Fridays and Sundays
Departs Kin at 7:20 am
Arrives JFK at 11:05 am

JFK/Kingston
Fridays and Sundays
Departs JFK at 12:55 pm
Arrives Kin at 4:45 pm

Kingston/Montego Bay/JFK
Mondays & Thursdays
Departs Kin at 6:30 am
Arrives MBJ at 7:10 am
Departs MBJ at 8:20 am
Arrives JFK at 12:00 noon

JFK/Montego Bay/Kingston
Mondays & Thursdays
Departs JFK at 1:50 pm
Arrives MBJ at 5:35 pm
Departs MBJ at 6:45 pm
Arrives Kin at 7:20 pm

ingston/Fort Lauderdale
Daily
Departs KIN 6:45 am
Arrives FLL at 8:25 am

Fort Lauderdale/Kingston
Daily
Departs FLL at 4:45 pm
Arrives KIN at 6:25 pm

Kingston/Fort Lauderdale
Fridays & Sundays
Departs Kin at 7:50 pm
Arrives FLL at 9:30 pm

Fort Lauderdale/Kingston
Fridays & Sundays
Departs FLL at 11:15 pm
Arrives Kin at 12:55 am

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 187):
There was a newspaper article recently which indicated that some 300 tourism workers will be trained in conversational Russian and Spanish as there is an aggressive drive to increase visitor arrivals from Russia and Latin American countries. Very smart move I think and will be beneficial for the sector.

Agree...

-------------------------------------------------------------

OJ's aircraft went tech on Thurs in KIN..Yesterday, Miami Air was used to operate a KIN-JFK sector..

GUYAIR707

Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 188):

Would be great to see them make their Jamaican ops work.

GUYAIR707

hummingbird
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 189):

It can work, but BW needs to get their house in order...Now is the time to open ATR ops in KIN..

--------------------------------------------------------------

guyanam

Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 190):

Any reason why BW should buy additional ATRs to service KIN? It looks like Inter Caribbean is doing a good job in conecting KIN to nearby Caribbean destinations. The HAV KIN and BZE KIN can be serviced by 738 planes, and I dont think that their 5 planes based in KIN are being overworked. KIN PAP is probably on the Inter Caribbean radar, given that they now offer service to SJU and SDQ from KIN. KX covers GCM and I don't think that there is a vital need for BW to run that route, unless KX cannot provide sufficient capacity.

hummingbird
Topic Author

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:07 pm

B6 will increase BOS-MBJ to 3 weekly..Tue,Thur and Sat..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quoting guyanam (Reply 191):
Any reason why BW should buy additional ATRs to service KIN? It looks like Inter Caribbean is doing a good job in conecting KIN to nearby Caribbean destinations. The HAV KIN and BZE KIN can be serviced by 738 planes, and I dont think that their 5 planes based in KIN are being overworked. KIN PAP is probably on the Inter Caribbean radar, given that they now offer service to SJU and SDQ from KIN. KX covers GCM and I don't think that there is a vital need for BW to run that route, unless KX cannot provide sufficient capacity.

Firstly, I was looking at them at re-deploying one aircraft to be based in KIN..
The B738 is way too big for HAV/BZE..
GCM-KIN/MBJ is a cash cow for KX as they have a monopoly on the route..With an ATR on the route, BW can now connect GCM with the KIN/MBJ/BGI and POS..KIN-GCM is one route that needs competition due to the high fares..

Also, due to increased competition on all sectors, BW will have to find new ways of generating revenue..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OJ now has a huge sale to YYZ..

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/1525362_501542793296509_2120576976_n_zpsa67f7f7a.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am impressive schedule..

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x315/yardieindubai/1522307_10153792759265651_890079628_n_zpsd2655bd6.jpg

guyanam

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:25 pm

Quoting hummingbird (Reply 192):

I think that BW will have to focus on growing/maintaining market share on their existing routes, rather than being side tracked with new routes which I dont think might add much. If they are dumping their 767s they will need to add at least 2 more 738s to service the YYZ/JFK to POS/GEO at peak times.

N312RM

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:28 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 178):
Over in the Carribbean thread, a poster put on a recent example that happened to him where is UA flight got delayed in GCM for 1 hour due to paperwork…..

Here was my reply:

Sunday January 5 was undoubtedly the busiest day of the year for flight operations at GCM.

In addition to the scheduled airline flights there were a large number of private aircraft that were leaving GCM to return primarily to the US.

The number of aircraft that ATC can safely handle at any one time is limited, since GCM does not have radar facilities. My guess is that your delay had less to do with the filing of paper work and more to do with the limitations of ATC and the number of aircraft that they can handle at any time.

There could potentially have been issues with coordination of your flight with HAV, since your flight would likely have transited Cuban airspace.

Congestion at GCM is at its peak on Saturday and Sunday between the hours of 11am and 3pm. Residents have learned to avoid flights arriving/departing during these hours if at all possible.

I am sorry that your vacation was marred by a bad experience on your departure, I hope that it will not deter you from visiting again. Best regards

airjamaica

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:30 am

B6 will increase BOS-MBJ to 3 weekly..Tue,Thur and Sat..

Wasn't this flight operating at 4x weekly in the past with 2x on Saturdays ?

OJ now has a huge sale to YYZ..

Not sure how those fares compare with WS and AC but they do look very attractive.

As was previously announced, BA will be increasing LGW-KIN to 4x weekly as of March 30 th 2014. Interesting to note that British Airways Holidays is working to target more leisure travellers into Kingston, and Mr. McNeill is hoping the rotations will increase to 5x weekly within a year.

'' As of March 30, British Airways will add another straight flight from London to Kingston.

This highlights the increase of passengers between the two capitals. "

" This was welcome news for Minister of Tourism and Entertainment Wykeham McNeill, who expressed pleasure with the relationship British Airways has had with Jamaica since 1946. He noted that the addition implied tourism is getting back on its feet. "

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140117/social/social1.html

Good to see flights being increased to city Kingston.
airjamaica

LimaMike

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:52 pm

DL's ATL service is a welcomed addition to KIN but they have had numerous delays since resuming operations. Since Jan 6 they have moved to a RON schedule on the route, but I'm curious as to why they chose a 9am departure from KIN. This seems a bit late to me, especially considering the aircraft would've been on the ground from 8pm the night before. Looking ahead to the summer AA will add additional capacity to KIN and they will have TWO a.m. departures to MIA before DL sends out its ATL flight.
Cleared for takeoff!

yellowtail

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:05 pm

The B738 is way too big for HAV/BZE..

Agreed….this route is business oriented and would be frequency sensitive. Better to have an ATR 5Xweek and 2 weekly 738

Quoting LimaMike (Reply 196):
This seems a bit late to me, especially considering the aircraft would've been on the ground from 8pm the night before.

If same crew are to be used ..they need 12 hours min ground time to rest. that is why you see the 13 hour RON….12 + 1 hour (just in case the arriving flight is late). Anything less than 12 hours requires a change of crew.

Cheaper to use the same crew and hold the aircraft than to do crew changes with associated hotel costs.

airjamaica

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:34 pm

DL's ATL service is a welcomed addition to KIN but they have had numerous delays since resuming operations. Since Jan 6 they have moved to a RON schedule on the route, but I'm curious as to why they chose a 9am departure from KIN. This seems a bit late to me, especially considering the aircraft would've been on the ground from 8pm the night before. Looking ahead to the summer AA will add additional capacity to KIN and they will have TWO a.m. departures to MIA before DL sends out its ATL flight.

Hopefully DL can improve their on time performance on this resumption route. I recall back in the day AA 1504 used to depart KIN at 9:00 am for MIA as well after a RON. However they have since rescheduled this flight to depart much earlier now, and it has been like that for many years. Smart move I think as business people in particular would much prefer an early departure from Kingston to make the most out of the day. Same for those travellers going on short shopping trips etc. I also recall when JM was around, 021 was always scheduled to leave KIN by 7:00 am ( memories   ) , and that '' early bird '' departure was maintained for years, dating way back to the B727/A300 era.
I am sure DL passengers from KIN will still be able to make convenient connections to many other destinations from ATL, but myself would have expected them to operate an earlier departure in order for travellers to make the most out of their day. Especially those connecting to other North American cities.

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 197):
If same crew are to be used ..they need 12 hours min ground time to rest. that is why you see the 13 hour RON….12 + 1 hour (just in case the arriving flight is late). Anything less than 12 hours requires a change of crew.

Cheaper to use the same crew and hold the aircraft than to do crew changes with associated hotel costs.

Agree about the cost effectiveness of using the same crew on the return journey after the RON and legal rest requirements which have to be adhared to. However, the flight could have been scheduled to depart ATL a little earlier, do the same 13 hours RON, and depart KIN for ATL earlier in the morning. This would probably also mean an adjustment on another sector as well, as the flight may be originating from another city, through ATL and then onto KIN. None the less I hope this service will '' stick around '' this time.
airjamaica

hummingbird
Topic Author

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 193):
I think that BW will have to focus on growing/maintaining market share on their existing routes, rather than being side tracked with new routes which I dont think might add much. If they are dumping their 767s they will need to add at least 2 more 738s to service the YYZ/JFK to POS/GEO at peak times.

It will be an interesting summer in POS, GEO,KIN and MBJ..

Travelspan/Vision Air is now recruiting local GEO based FAs to crew an additional B767 that will be based in GEO..Travelspan is also looking to expand to regional routes from GEO..

Am curious to see how BW and OJ responds to this concept..

http://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/20...t-attendants-adding-another-plane/

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 195):
Wasn't this flight operating at 4x weekly in the past with 2x on Saturdays ?

It was actually 3x with two on Sat and 1 on Tues..

Not sure how those fares compare with WS and AC but they do look very attractive.

An increase in frequency will increase their market-share..But, I guess that depends on aircraft #2..

" This was welcome news for Minister of Tourism and Entertainment Wykeham McNeill, who expressed pleasure with the relationship British Airways has had with Jamaica since 1946. He noted that the addition implied tourism is getting back on its feet. "

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20140117/social/social1.html

Good to see flights being increased to city Kingston.

Great news..If the trend continues, I can assure, we will be seeing a 5th weekly in 2015..

but I'm curious as to why they chose a 9am departure from KIN. This seems a bit late to me, especially considering the aircraft would've been on the ground from 8pm the night before
Quoting airjamaica (Reply 198):
am sure DL passengers from KIN will still be able to make convenient connections to many other destinations from ATL, but myself would have expected them to operate an earlier departure in order for travellers to make the most out of their day. Especially those connecting to other North American cities.

At their launch party, they mentioned, they are capitalizing on the Asia-KIN traffic..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos