LAXintl
Topic Author

Hong Kong Express Announces 7 New Markets

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:20 am

While the Jetstar drama plays on, the relaunched LCC Hong Kong Express says it will commence service to 7 new markets this fall.

In complementing existing routes to Okinawa and Bali, plus China markets, the airline says it will commence service to:

Kota Kinabu and Kunming Malaysia on Oct 27.
Chiang Mai and Phuket Thailand on Oct 27.
Taichung Taiwain on Oct 27.
Tokyo Japan on Nov 7.
Osaka Japan on Nov 21.

Carrier president says it believes it can achieve about a 10% market share out of HKG in the coming years, and the territory was ripe for LCC expansion as currently all 10 LCCs that service the market barely account for 5% market share.

President also says the carrier now plans to add 6 A320 frames in 2014 to meet growth.

Stories:
Hong Kong Express Airways Adds 7 Routes
http://en.airportnews.jp/headline/706/

Budget airline Hong Kong Express aims for 10pc market share
http://www.scmp.com/business/compani...ong-express-aims-10pc-market-share

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

cheeken

RE: Hong Kong Express Announces 7 New Markets

Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:32 am

I believe you meant Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia and Kunming, China?

MillwallSean

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:13 am

Or possibly Kota Kinabalu (Sabah) Malaysia and Kuching (Sarawak) Malaysia. Both are to Malaysian Borneo and Borneo routes differs quite a bit in distance from West Malaysia.
Several carriers fly to HongKong already from KK, (Dragonair,MAS and Air Asia) if i remember correctly MAS and Dragonair is daily and Air Asia is double daily.
KK also sees nonstop routes to neighbouring Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

Kuching on the other hand sees little international traffic and I believe only MAS flies to HongKong.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

davidho1985

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 am

All but Tokyo (HND) are currently operated by Hong Kong Airlines (their sister company) and Hong Kong Express, they just transform Hong Kong Express (and their flights) into LCC style. And Hong Kong Airlines previously operated flights to Tokyo- NRT as well.

TreeHillRavens

Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:00 am

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 2):
Several carriers fly to HongKong already from KK, (Dragonair,MAS and Air Asia) if i remember correctly MAS and Dragonair is daily and Air Asia is double daily.

Yes.
MAS - 1x daily
Dragonair - 1x daily
Air Asia - 2x daily
Hong Kong Express - 1x daily

Hong Kong Airlines/Hong Kong Express already started deploying their mono-class A320-200 (174 seats) since some time in July this year and the airline code has also been changed to UO.

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 2):
Kuching on the other hand sees little international traffic and I believe only MAS flies to HongKong.

It is a one-stop service via BKI. I have taken MH384/MH385 a few times and the traffic from HKG to KCH is very small. Almost everyone disembarked at BKI all the time.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:12 pm

Quoting cheeken (Reply 1):
I believe you meant Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia and Kunming, China?

You are right.

Poor journalism.

Though I think the HK Express president it right. Being such a major market, there is lots of room and opportunity for LCCs in HKG and it will be interesting to see how they evolve.

mercure1

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Exciting to see growth of LCC in Far-East market.

No reason why market must be stuck with legacy carriers.

HKG especially interesting as its situated very well, and has tiny LCC market share at moment. Lots of potential for growth.
mercure f-wtcc

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:16 pm

I think its inevitable the LCC tide will come to HKG also as it has done in other parts of the region.

No matter how much CX might not like it, be it Jetstar, HK Express, or others, the market will evolve, all for the great benefit of consumers.

TR1

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:18 pm

How is Hong Kong Express' onboard product? Is it in line with the likes of Air Asia or more of a hybrid like Thai Smile?

davidho1985

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:58 am

Quoting TR1 (Reply 8):
How is Hong Kong Express' onboard product? Is it in line with the likes of Air Asia or more of a hybrid like Thai Smile?

Currently they are a full-service carrier, which sharing same fleet with Hong Kong Airlines.
After the transformation, they will operate 5 full Y A320 similar to other LCC (Jetstar; AirAsia; Tiger; Peach etc.) in Asia.

dc1030cf

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:04 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 7):
No matter how much CX might not like it, be it Jetstar, HK Express, or others, the market will evolve, all for the great benefit of consumers

I wish the newly transformed HX all the best as a LCC. There really isn't any comparison to Cathay. One is a world class 5-star carrier with more than 60 years history. while HX and her sister UO seem not knowing how to properly run an airline. Both have substandard operations and very serious concerns regarding cockpit training. By the way, both HX and UO are on the record opposing the proposed Jetstar-HK.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos