Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Ryanair New Strategy: 'Be Nice To Customers'

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Ryanair has promised to transform its "abrupt culture" in a bid to win customers from costlier rivals, admitting for the first time that a reputation for treating its passengers badly might have become a problem.

Quote:
"We should try to eliminate things that unnecessarily piss people off," Chief Executive Michael O'Leary told the company's annual general meeting, after several shareholders complained about the impact of customer service on sales.

"I have seen people crying at boarding gates," said private shareholder Owen O'Reilly. "There is simply something wrong there that needs to be addressed."

"I am very happy to take the blame or responsibility if we have a macho or abrupt culture. Some of that may well be my own personal character deformities," O'Leary said.

Ryanair also opened a Twitter account:
http://twitter.com/Ryanair

So what happened? Did hell froze over?

Story:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0/us-ryanair-idUSBRE98J0DF20130920

[Edited 2013-09-20 07:06:08]
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

bwvilla

RE: Ryanair New Strategy: 'Be Nice To Customers'

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:08 pm

Probably just a damage limitation exercise in the wake of adverse publicity today about how they treated the guy who tried to change his flight because his whole family had been killed in a house fire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24171384
lhr-utc-lhr-sin-bru-cgn-sin

exFWAOONW

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Maybe someone noticed a trend (or lack of one) in their repeat customers.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

BestWestern

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:16 pm

Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

StTim

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:23 pm

I flew Ryanair recently - the first time for about three years. Apart from the garish colour scheme, constant pa announcements as they tried to sell stuff etc it was a much friendlier experience than it used to be. One of the cabin crew actually smiled.

BestWestern

Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:36 pm

People fly Ryanair because it is convenient and it is cheap.

With the lowest casm in Europe of a major carrier they can do this, but not always successfully. Certain carriers have adapted - Aer Lingus for example - they have a value proposition that passengers like that has taken a decade of pain to develop. Luckily for Ryanair, most EU competitors are financial and strategic basket cases.

Ryanair working on its value proposition is probably very worrying for its competitors - lowest costs and a valued product equals unbeatable.

nema

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Now for several years, ive been amazed on here that Ryanair, amidst some not so pleasant publicity and experiences from customers and staff alike, have maintained a strong clique of supporters. Its almost like these people support everything that’s wrong in society whilst the FR haters on the other hand, they had more obvious reasons for their views. So maybe now there will be a turnaround with the supporters of the past not at all liking a cleaner image and the haters…oh! thinking about it, I think we’ll stay just where we are.
There isnt really a dark side to the moon, as a matter of fact its all dark!

Clydenairways

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Quoting bwvilla (Reply 1):
Probably just a damage limitation exercise in the wake of adverse publicity today about how they treated the guy who tried to change his flight because his whole family had been killed in a house fire

I tend to agree. I don't think that there will be a noticeable change in how they do business. There may be in the future whenever a new CEO takes over.
Saying something to appease a couple of small shareholders means nothing really, and as usual the media have jumped on it giving him free PR again.

LH707330

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 7):
Saying something to appease a couple of small shareholders means nothing really, and as usual the media have jumped on it giving him free PR again.

..which is exactly what MoL wanted! FR must have the best coverage per dollar PR spend of any airline.

readytotaxi

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:04 pm

I guess the class room training is going to take a while to work through the system, expect a few more cock ups along the way. Such a sad lost for the gentleman.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

ScottishDavie

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:27 pm

A well-known saying about leopards and their spots springs to mind ........

[Edited 2013-09-20 10:30:10]

sturmovik

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Hell must be subzero right now.. 
'What's it doing now?'

pierrelav

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:42 pm

They may want to start treating their employees with decency..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcrmyWsflTM

Azure

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 7):

All that may be true but I wonder if this unusual acknowledgement by MoL and the change of attitude are not the commercial response to the recent profit warning FR had to issue. Its revenue for FY2013 will be lower than the consensus, for the first time in its history.

This lower revenue translated into commercial terms implies less passengers than expected have chosen FR for their travels. The European economy is still weak but FR should benefit from this situation.

In fact because of this "abrupt culture" and the stress that some passengers endure, some will never fly again with this airline even if this implies a longer travel or a higher price. Some others will not even try it because of all the negative comments they have heard. And as there is more and more competition in the LCC market, bad reputation can undermine growth.

Somebody at FR realized that. Better late than never.

mayor

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:04 pm

"Some of that may well be my own personal character deformities," O'Leary said."

Ya think?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

threeifbyair

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:23 pm

Quoting Azure (Reply 13):
This lower revenue translated into commercial terms implies less passengers than expected have chosen FR for their travels. The European economy is still weak but FR should benefit from this situation.

In fact because of this "abrupt culture" and the stress that some passengers endure, some will never fly again with this airline even if this implies a longer travel or a higher price. Some others will not even try it because of all the negative comments they have heard. And as there is more and more competition in the LCC market, bad reputation can undermine growth.

Somebody at FR realized that. Better late than never.

Reputation matters. Negative publicity has a real cost, even if managers believe otherwise. Loyal customers (like the gentleman whose family died) are the last customers you want to lose.

Low prices and decent customer service don't have to be mutually exclusive. Costco is dirt cheap but it has a solid reputation for customer service.

MANYUL

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Quoting sturmovik (Reply 11):
Hell must be subzero right now.. 

Not quite... http://www.accuweather.com/en/nl/hell/872518/weather-forecast/872518

All in all more free publicity for FR

vv701

Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:54 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 3):
So the new strategy lasted 25 minutes it seems.

Not quite. The shareholder reaction was in response to the "Which?" report that is mentioned in the link in Reply 3.

Here is part of another report from Sky News:

"When the airline was voted just this week as the worst of the 100 biggest brands serving the British market by readers of consumer magazine Which?, Ryanair dismissed the study - suggesting that its customers were too busy booking flights with Ryanair to respond.

"It also took aim at Which? saying that its own customer poll had found just two of its three million passengers had ever heard of the consumer group.

"Now Mr O'Leary has pledged to improve the passenger experience, suggesting he was U-turning on past comments that all passengers cared about was price."

The full report is at:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/rya...es-nicer-passengers-125244875.html

bennett123

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:01 pm

I have only flown FR once.

However, in many ways, they are not as bad as their publicity suggests.

The luggage rules are pretty tight, (even cabin luggage). Personally, 10 kg total luggage is a bit limited.

However, certainly at NOC, they did not seem to be too rigid.

Also, whilst they do try to sell the BOB, it is not the "hardsell" suggested.

Furthermore, the lack of a pouch for brochure/sick bag etc, does discourage you from buying. IMO, that is a false economy, as on most flights, the first thing to hand is the goodies brochure.

The check in staff, and cabin crew all seemed fine.

The big problem seems to be when things go wrong.

Sometimes, going the extra mile pays dividends.

If they can avoid the howlers by spending only a few £, then that must be a good move.

Giving the customers a little more needn't break the bank.

[email protected]

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 18):
The big problem seems to be when things go wrong.

Depends on the airport. I had CIA-EMA cancelled and, through the initiative and immediate action of the ground handlers, I was in the air on CIA-LPL within 40 minutes. In contrast, my IST-LHR service with BA was cancelled in July, and it took 1.5 hours before anyone had any idea what was happening.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

bennett123

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:14 pm

So if none of his customers had heard of which?, then why is he suddenly being cuddly.

[email protected]

Clearly, any airline can screw up.

I was only referring to the FR issues.

[email protected]

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 20):
I was only referring to the FR issues.

Quite.  
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Clydenairways

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Quoting Azure (Reply 13):

All that may be true but I wonder if this unusual acknowledgement by MoL and the change of attitude are not the commercial response to the recent profit warning FR had to issue. Its revenue for FY2013 will be lower than the consensus, for the first time in its history.

I think this was primarily due to the unusual heatwave experienced in northern Europe this summer, particularly the UK and Ireland which is still a significant chunk of it's business. Ryanair lost out on significant revenue here because a lot of people deciding not to bother heading for sun holidays this year.
I'm sure we will be back in our traditional pattern of depressing weather next summer and Ryanair will enjoy again a surge in bookings by people looking to escape the dreary north.

BestWestern

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:44 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 19):

You are comparing a airline base airport in a country where you speak the language and a country that values customer service to an outsourced station in a foreign land where punctuality isn't the most crucial, in a hopelessly overcrowded and delay prone airport.

I stand by my earlier point. If Ryanair manages to twerk   its value proposition into a more customer focused one, without damaging its CASM, many competitors will be really worried. They will then have value, convenience and service.

FlyingSicilian

Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:43 am

Well to be fair to FR if your entire family dies, they will refund your change fee after-the-fact:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24171384

fair use:

Leicester fire deaths: Ryanair to refund grieving father

"Ryanair has said it will refund a grieving father who had just lost his whole family in a fire after it charged him extra to change his flight.

Dr Muhammad Taufiq Al Sattar's wife and three children were killed in a house fire in Leicester last Friday.

He was to fly home to Leicester from Dublin as usual that day but changed to an earlier flight after he was told his family members were probably dead..."
Ci sono formiche qui

Braybuddy

Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:49 am

Quoting clydenairways (Reply 22):
I think this was primarily due to the unusual heatwave experienced in northern Europe this summer, particularly the UK and Ireland which is still a significant chunk of it's business. Ryanair lost out on significant revenue here because a lot of people deciding not to bother heading for sun holidays this year

First, the Pope complains the Catholic Church is hung-up on homosexuality, contraception and divorce, and now Michael O'Leary admits that Ryanair treats its customers badly.

The world is truly turning on its head . . .   

[email protected]

Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:51 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 23):
You are comparing a airline base airport in a country where you speak the language and a country that values customer service to an outsourced station in a foreign land where punctuality isn't the most crucial, in a hopelessly overcrowded and delay prone airport.

Sound like excuses masquerading as explanations. I don't speak Italian - they spoke English.  
If Ryanair manages to twerk   its value proposition into a more customer focused one, without damaging its CASM, many competitors will be really worried. They will then have value, convenience and service.

I think so, and in the article in the opening post MOL said FR should "try to eliminate things that unnecessarily piss people off." An article in today's The Times said they will be making some changes to their website to make it more use-friendly and helpful, e.g. by removing the security code and enabling regular customers to register. When, as MOL said, "a lot of those customer service elements don't cost a lot of money," it sounds good and, as you said, should strengthen its competitiveness.

[Edited 2013-09-21 01:00:55]

bennett123

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:07 am

For me, the main issue will always be convenience.

I know that they make a big thing about secondary airports.

However, they are often a long way from the city that they serve, meaning greater time overall, (taking account of both time at airport, and time to my destination).

Furthermore, I do not drive. Therefore a long taxi journey could swallow up any cost saving.

I must admit that I am also a keen spotter.

Thousands of pictures of Ryanair B737NG is going to get mighty boring.

Vasu

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:05 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 25):
The world is truly turning on its head . . .   

Certainly is!

Good luck to FR with this move.

Just to clarify, an earlier poster mentioned Ryanair's following. I can't speak on behalf of everyone who is/was a fan of the airline, but I know that I only love (/loved?) them when they had £3 deals etc. I always hated their lack of customer service and arrogant attitude, but thought of them as my favourite airline because the prices meant I could take so many spontaneous visits to strange places.

Looks like the day of the super cheap tickets is over though  

[email protected]

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:58 am

Quoting Vasu (Reply 28):
Looks like the day of the super cheap tickets is over though

Their average one-way fare including ancillaries is around €50 - for an average sector length of 1,100kms. While I also miss 1p or £3 all-in tickets, let's be realistic: that average fare for that average length is not expensive.

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 27):
hey are often a long way from the city that they serve

It entirely depends. I live 15 minutes from EMA and in June I presented at a conference in Bergamo. Needless to say, I flew EMA-BGY, with my hotel 15 minutes from BGY. Friends suggested I flew a "real" airline - but that would almost inevitably meant a trip to London, at least 2h each way, and flying to LIN or MXP - an hour or more from Bergamo. Clearly, that would have been much more expensive, far more inconvenient, and, frankly, stupid. So, it really depends.

I think people nowadays still pay too much attention to "secondary" airports, i.e. those serving a major city, when in reality they are a small and diminishing % of Ryanair's total airports served.

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 27):
I must admit that I am also a keen spotter.

Thousands of pictures of Ryanair B737NG is going to get mighty boring.

Haha. But don't forget they are a business.  

bennett123

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:43 pm

True.

But how many pictures of FR B737 do you want.

Clearly, if you want Bergamo, then FR is the best choice.

But how far is Hahn from Frankfurt, or the airports that "serve" Stockholm from the city itself.

gilesdavies

Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:54 pm

While everyone else on here continues to joke and bash the airline, I think this minor changes the airline is offering are very much welcomed!

Offering a passengers a direct communication to Twitter is a great way to interact with your customers, I was doing exactly that with Monarch Airlines this morning regarding a query I had on some flights I recently booked... Also the airline seems to have listened and removing that dreaded "Captcha" thing on the website booking engine.

While Ryanair will never ever admit to if, I think they have been taking some lessons out of easyJet's books. easyJet seems to have become far more customer friendly in recent years, with the mobile app, friendly staff and a very good website to use.

In the coming month's Ryanair are going to be relaunching their website and also offering the mobile app for free, which they currently cheekily charge for. I hope they will also offer mobile app boarding passes too!

The talk of unfriendly crew is unfair... I regularly use them out of Luton and they are really friendly. You need to remember they probably work harder than any other cabin crew, with the tight turnaround times and the duties they have to carry out of shorter length flights. Some of the passengers that fly Ryanair, can be pretty vile too, with their attitudes and behavior. If you want to meet rude crew, suggest you fly some of the Russian or Chinese airlines, then you will realise what rude and robotic service is!

Like the airline says themselves, they can't be doing too much wrong, flying nine million passengers in August and I can assure you at that time of year, hardly any of those tickets will have been free or £10 promotional fares, purely with it being peak summer.

[email protected]

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 30):

But how far is Hahn from Frankfurt, or the airports that "serve" Stockholm from the city itself.

Then don't fly FR to such places or avail of the regular buses.

L410Turbolet

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 26):
in the article in the opening post MOL said FR should "try to eliminate things that unnecessarily piss people off."

I someone pointed out in the comments below the Guardian article, the word he should have used was DELIBERATELY pissing people off.
Anyway, I love how it was presented that all those things, the company is infamous for, happened somehow as a coincidence (from the minefield of their user unfriendly website to notorious failure to honor their statutory obligations under EC 261 despite charging a special fee with each reservation, to their willingness to be dragged into court over absurd wheelchair charges rather than showing basic human decency) when in reality this corporate culture of confrontation and contempt for customer is running from the top to bottom has been implemented intentionally and is a reflection of O'Leary's psychopathic personality.
It will be interesting to see if it really is a beggining of change in their attitude or just an empty rhetorics, attempt for immediate damage control facing criticism at the shareholders' meeting. I'll believe when I see it.

PH-BFA

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:32 pm

"Their average one-way fare including ancillaries is around €50 - for an average sector length of 1,100kms. While I also miss 1p or £3 all-in tickets, let's be realistic: that average fare for that average length is not expensive."

You can find plenty of 100 euro return tickets on legacy carriers with decent service, ie ryanair's prices are just not that special anymore

"Offering a passengers a direct communication to Twitter is a great way to interact with your customers"

Yes indeed however fr is not going to do this (it will be one way propoganda) because probably they are afraid of all the negative comments, instead they use the following lame excuse:

#Ryanair carries over 80m passengers a year so we can't write back on Twitter. You can contact Ryanair here: bit.ly/dc4MTD

Interesting to note that all other large airlines that are active on twitter ARE able to communicate via twitter. In other words their latest 'changes' are really not that special

BA777

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Reading some documents, it says the next delivery is due in September 2014 - Jethros says the next delivery is due 4Q 2013...is this a mistake?

[email protected]

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Quoting PH-BFA (Reply 34):
You can find plenty of 100 euro return tickets on legacy carriers with decent service, ie ryanair's prices are just not that special anymore

Network airlines average one-way fare all-in won't be anywhere near €50. Yes, they may obviously have good deals, even better deals at times, but those aren't averages. And, as always, everyone must consider everything - and not just price - before purchasing.

Centre

Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 26):
MOL said FR should "try to eliminate things that unnecessarily piss people off."

He, himself, got the most irritating image and attitude ever  

And comments like these really piss people off

Quote:
Mr. O’Leary said he was personally irritated that some Ryanair employees fined customers when their carry-on baggage was slightly above the maximum size. He said management would be more lenient.“If it’s a millimeter over size, get on with it,” he said. “We are not trying to penalize people for the sake of a millimeter.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/21/bu...mer-service.html?ref=business&_r=0

so if it was 2 millimeter then it's ok .
I have cut 4 times, and it's still short.

[email protected]

Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Quoting Centre (Reply 37):
He, himself, got the most irritating image and attitude ever

What he said was very refreshing.

Aesma

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:31 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 32):

Or don't fly Ryanair if you live in such places ! My case.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

peterinlisbon

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:01 pm

I know most people will go for the cheapest fare (myself included) but they must lose some money because of their bad reputation because when you can get a similar fare on a different airline most people will always choose the other airline based on the rationale "anything is better than Ryanair". I know for sure that if I get a similar fare on Easyjet and Ryanair, I'll go for Easyjet every time (or Wizzair, Pegasus or Vueling). Their boarding process in particular is extremely unpleasant and it seems their staff get a kick out of being nasty to people. Treating your customers poorly isn't going to get you any loyalty and if another airline comes along that can deliver a similar service at a similar price without the rudeness, I think they'll find themselves being abandoned en masse.

[email protected]

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:15 pm

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 40):
going to get you any loyalty
Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 40):
if another airline comes along that can deliver a similar service at a similar price without the rudeness, I think they'll find themselves being abandoned en masse.

I think BestWestern hit the nail on the head:

If Ryanair manages to tweak its value proposition into a more customer focused one, without damaging its CASM, many competitors will be really worried. They will then have value, convenience and service.

The "without damaging its CASM" bit is crucial: FR has a lower CASM than even Wizz, despite Wizz having a longer sector length - CASM reduces as sector length increases - and lower labour costs.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 32):

Haha Rocket science meets air travel.  

I like the bottom line approach: If you don't like 'em, don't fly 'em. It really is that simple.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

BestWestern

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 41):
I think BestWestern hit the nail on the head

I think that Ryanair have hit the nail on the head here.

They can probably see that similar airlines in mature market segments - airlines like easyJet and Aer Lingus can charge higher fares for a more or less similar product on a similar city pair.

To many, at a similar fare to Aer Lingus or EasyJet, ryanair isn't seen as good value.

This lack of upward pricing power is probably what the airline will focus on through demonstrating a more soft side to the airline- but it takes years to turn around a value perception.

Meanwhile - on far more price sensitive route segments in Eastern Europe, the Ryanair CASM dominance is king.

[email protected]

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:05 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 43):
To many, at a similar fare to Aer Lingus or EasyJet, ryanair isn't seen as good va
Quoting BestWestern (Reply 43):
They can probably see that similar airlines in mature market segments - airlines like easyJet and Aer Lingus can charge higher fares for a more or less similar product on a similar city pair.

To many, at a similar fare to Aer Lingus or EasyJet, ryanair isn't seen as good value.

This lack of upward pricing power is probably what the airline will focus on through demonstrating a more soft side to the airline- but it takes years to turn around a value perception.

Meanwhile - on far more price sensitive route segments in Eastern Europe, the Ryanair CASM dominance is king.

Yep. To me, it's pretty logical.

Incidentally, I read today that FR is to work with Amex to help attract more businesspeople and to increase their spend. Apparently FR already carries 16m people travelling for business reasons a year, obviously from SMEs.

KarelXWB
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Germanwings CEO couldn't resist:

http://twitter.com/AvWeekFlottau/status/383196113454379008

Quote:
"Ryanair has, to my surprise, decided that it now likes its customer," says Germanwings CEO Thomas Winkelmann.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

[email protected]

Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:21 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 45):
Germanwings CEO couldn't resist:

http://twitter.com/AvWeekFlottau/status/383196113454379008

Quote:
"Ryanair has, to my surprise, decided that it now likes its customer," says Germanwings CEO Thomas Winkelmann.

Ryanair has always liked its customers: that's why, unlike many network airlines, it has consistently concentrated on ensuring the core elements of air transport - reliability, punctuality, and no lost bags - are achieved.  

toxtethogrady

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Rumor has it this strategy was settled upon after O'Leary floated and the dropped the idea of suing every single one of his cutomers for damages.

peterinlisbon

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:27 am

I hope at least that they've ended the policy of punching their customers in the face as they enter the aircraft and suing anyone that complains.

PhilBy

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:06 am

With Ryanair it's best to think of it like a local bus service: you get on, sit down and get off at the other end. If you ask the driver to put luggage in the hold you'll upset his routine.

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 31):
The talk of unfriendly crew is unfair

I've flown Ryanair when it's the only airline covering my route. I've never had a problem with impolite on-board staff. In my experience they're generally polite and friendly, if somewhat busy. Lottery tickets, hot snacks etc.
The problem with Ryanair is at a corporate level. If they won't treat the staff with respect some of the staff are bound to pass it onto the customers (as with any company).
I'm behind Leahy on this one - when MOL steps down then Airbus will happily negociate to sell a/c to them.
Quoting Centre (Reply 37):
Mr. O’Leary said he was personally irritated that some Ryanair employees fined customers when their carry-on baggage was slightly above the maximum size. He said management would be more lenient.“If it’s a millimeter over size, get on with it,” he said. “We are not trying to penalize people for the sake of a millimeter.”

For those familiar with the hand-luggage check frames. I've seen a woman travelling on Ryanair who only managed to get her hand luggage into the cage by jumping on it and out of the cage with help from two reasonably fit (strong) blokes, one to pull the bag, the other to pull the cage in the other direction. The staff accepted the luggage without question (and aqlmost certainly some amusement).

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 31):
easyJet seems to have become far more customer friendly in recent years

The last time my wife flew Easyjet her luggage fitted in the cage no problem so... she then had to turn it around and try again. Still no problem. OK turn it upside down and see if it still fits... And a fourth time! It was as if the staff were on commission for oversize luggage fees.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos