Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gonzalo
Topic Author

1.3 tons of cocaine carried on AF CCS-CDG flight

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:08 am

An Air France Cargo aircraft carried 1.3 Tons of pure cocaine ( valued at U$D 270 Millions ) from Venezuela to Paris.

How on Earth such a quantity of drugs were loaded on an AF plane ????

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...ofcocaineaboardairfranceplane.html

Rgds.
G.-

[Edited 2013-09-21 21:38:29]
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

atcsundevil

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:21 am

Quoting Gonzalo (Thread starter):
How in Earth such a quantity of drugs were loaded on an AF plane ????

Well, I'm going to venture a guess and say some guys with a k-loader put it on the plane  

Those kinds of things almost always have people involved on the inside, usually on both ends. Whether or not it can be proved is a separate discussion. That amount of blow doesn't move without some level of security.

Francoflier

Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:38 am

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 1):
Whether or not it can be proved is a separate discussion.

The authorities on both end had apparently cooperated and were 'expecting' the shipment.

I suppose the police already knew who a lot of the involved persons were and were expecting to catch them red handed.
Several arrests have been made.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

atcsundevil

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:03 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 2):
I suppose the police already knew who a lot of the involved persons were and were expecting to catch them red handed.

It catches up with all of them sooner or later. Duplicity is sometimes difficult to prove in these circumstances, but it is likely easier for authorities under the French legal system as opposed to the British/American system. Regardless, it's an accomplishment for the authorities involved as this was obviously a pretty major operation.

ual747den

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:13 am

Wow!!!
Are they looking for someone to test that purity at all!?!?
I'm joking (I think) but can you imagine that much PURE coke in one place, I don't think the majority of us have ever seen one gram of pure blow and these guys had more than a TON!
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

AR385

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:30 am

Venezuela seems to have become the new point of shipment to Europe for Cocaine. How sad. Howewer the amount cites of $270 million USD is completely wrong.

As for how did they get it aboar? Well. That amount, as mentioned previously, cannot be shipped at once with people in high places both in France and Venezuela being involved.

I´m glad they caught it.

Francoflier

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:46 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):
cannot be shipped at once with people in high places both in France and Venezuela being involved.

It was shipped in 30 suitcases, as cargo, unrelated to onboard pax.

I suppose the ground personnel who was in on it arranged to ship those as leftover or lost baggage having to be sent to their owners.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

tu204

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:17 am

Now if only we knew how many other 1.3ton shipments got through on that same AF route in the last month without being noticed.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

AR385

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:49 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 6):
It was shipped in 30 suitcases, as cargo, unrelated to onboard pax.

It was shipped in one plane. In one flight. So, it was shipped at once.

Quoting francoflier (Reply 6):
I suppose the ground personnel who was in on it arranged to ship those as leftover or lost baggage having to be sent to their owners.

Sure. And in France those who were in on it were going to pick it up and send it on to ITS owner not their owners. They did not gather this suitcases from different flights in a certain amount of time and then shipped them together. It doesn´t work that way. This was a carefully planned operation by professionals at both ends. It´s not your average drug mule taping some kilos to its body.

I´m surprised though, that they shipped this to France, rather than to Spain. Drug trafficking to Spain is a lot easier. Maybe they were testing the waters.

FlySSC

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:54 am

Air France Cargo aircraft

That was not on a cargo plane. That was on board the Daily flight AF385 CCS-CDG.

Francoflier

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:15 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 8):
It was shipped in one plane. In one flight.
Quoting AR385 (Reply 8):
Sure. And in France those who were in on it were going to pick it up and send it on to ITS owner not their owners. They did not gather this suitcases from different flights in a certain amount of time and then shipped them together. It doesn´t work that way. This was a carefully planned operation by professionals at both ends. It´s not your average drug mule taping some kilos to its body.

Thanks, I knew that... We all knew that. The article makes it pretty clear what happened and the scale of it makes pretty clear the caliber of the organization involved.

AR385

Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 10):
Thanks, I knew that... We all knew that. The article makes it pretty clear what happened and the scale of it makes pretty clear the caliber of the organization involved.

You´re very welcome. It seemed you did not.

FCAFLYBOY

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:40 am

1.3 tonnes wow - firstly, how on earth was it allowed on board the aircraft, and secondly the crew must reall like to party.

a380900

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:45 am

"War on drugs" or not, trafficking on the scale we see these days cannot be done with infrastructure and even, at some level, political support...

Falcon Flyer

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:22 am

This after the bust in Punta Cana of a French registered Falcon 50 with 1500 pounds stashed in 26 suitcases, also headed to France back in May.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

par13del

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:41 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 2):
The authorities on both end had apparently cooperated and were 'expecting' the shipment.
Quoting tu204 (Reply 7):
Now if only we knew how many other 1.3ton shipments got through on that same AF route in the last month without being noticed.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that this is the end of one "drug lord" and the rise of another. Shipping that much product in the open could indicate a well run organization on both sides of the flight, like others I'm hard pressed to believe that this was the first time.
So the question becomes what went wrong, who snitched and why? Usually in the drug world its another supplier moving in, so while the drug authorities celebrate the closing down of a major supply route the odds are very good that another route and supplier was already onboard and now that the flow is sufficient to convince the end users that an alternative supply route is reliable, the competitor can be "eliminated".

On the aviation side, it does go to show that the persons who need to be screened, checked, patted down, run through X-Ray machines, have their financials checked, personal data transmitted before a flight leaves the ground are the persons who work behind the scene's and provide the protection necessary for us pax, folks like:
Ticket Agents
Baggage Handlers / Porters
Screeners and other security personnel
Airlines staff who deal with baggage and cargo
Cargo operators

Point that I am making is that all of the above persons are there to ensure that we the pax do not bring any contraband onboard an a/c to jepodize the safety of the travelling public, more scrutiny may be needed for those persons working behind the scenes. It may sound trivial but most airports have issues with pax on arriving home from their destinations finding that their bags were opened and items missing, it may seem like a nuisance to loose a couple hundred dollar worth of personal items and write it off to insurance, but imagine the amount of contraband items that are shipped on airliners on a daily basis.Do we really believe that the majority of drugs shipped through the Caribbean for example is on go fast boats easily detected by the Coast Guard?

Let's see if we hear of any shortage of the "white lady" in the EU for the next week or so, that much pure stuff when cut goes to multiples of how much to make up consumer quantities?

Francoflier

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:51 am

Quoting par13del (Reply 15):
like others I'm hard pressed to believe that this was the first time.

Why would it be? Authorities anywhere in the world, depsite their best effort, only manage to catch a fraction of what goes through.

who snitched and why?

It might be a snitch, or an informant, or good old police investigation work.
As somebody pointed out, another similar catch had been made in the Antilles, with the same MO, albeit using a private jet. An investigation could have raised from there.

folks like:
Ticket Agents
Baggage Handlers / Porters
Screeners and other security personnel
Airlines staff who deal with baggage and cargo
Cargo operators

Good luck with that. We're talking about a population of hundreds of thousands across the world, most of whom belong to lower classes.
Not to mention that even though this was a 1 ton shipment, this is only a drop in the ocean when compared to overall cargo loads.

SQ325

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:58 am

Hey AF needs money!!

But seriously everytime I flew out of CCS there was a real security panic around us.
Police with drug dog searching all bags, going through the A&E compartement and the empty belly searching for drugs.
From my experience it seems nearly impossible to get more than a ton of drug onto an Aircraft without a little help by the officials

bx737

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:07 pm

At times the MO of the authorities is to let the shipment go through so the shippers AND receivers are caught. That way an entire drug smuggling operation can be broken in one fell swoop.

par13del

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:09 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 16):
Why would it be? Authorities anywhere in the world, depsite their best effort, only manage to catch a fraction of what goes through.

In large part because the flow of other goods and services is more important, the contraband slipped in as you say despite their best efforts. Simply saying that more could be done, or failing that, try not to convince the public that all that could be done is being done. Fact is that this bust while making headlines on the street is probably not even a blimp, that's sad.

Quoting francoflier (Reply 16):
Good luck with that. We're talking about a population of hundreds of thousands across the world, most of whom belong to lower classes.

In general terms the point that I am making is that billions have been spent putting things in place for the millions of pax all over the world who travel on a daily basis, if new security methods have been devised and implemented for the travelling public why not for the workers involved in the industry - please don't take the mention of transmittal of pax data as being what is required I was illustrating -

I would not be shocked if the majority of drugs today are shipped in containers, whenever mention is made of increased security around containers and cargo everyone goes ballistic because of the commerce involved. Recent times have shown that nothing is sacred anymore, we had 9/11 and look at Kenya today, I guess we just continue to wait and react.

zkojq

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 9):
That was not on a cargo plane. That was on board the Daily flight AF385 CCS-CDG.

In that case it was an A340. F-GNII.
First to fly the 787-9

Aesma

Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):
However the amount cites of $270 million USD is completely wrong.

20$ the gram, doesn't seem that off to me.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Avi8r747

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:32 pm

So would those bags have been on the cargo manifest as baggage, or would someone try to sneak them on without anyone else knowing? Curious as it could have made the aircraft over weight, potentially making a dangerous situation in the event something went wrong.

Francoflier

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Quoting Avi8r747 (Reply 22):

So would those bags have been on the cargo manifest as baggage,

Good question. I presume these would have been declared as cargo, such as leftover or lost bags, and as such included in the loadsheet.
I think it would be easier this way, less palms to grease on both sides...

PanAm1971

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:11 pm

This amount of narcotics being moved would not take place without a solid (iron clad) arrangement. Someone was turned by the French (or other?) police/security intelligence establishment. This is quite a win for them. The sad part is many people will probably pay the price as the drug organization searches for the mole.

[Edited 2013-09-22 10:14:26]

andrefranca

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:30 pm

An Air France Cargo aircraft carried 1.3 Tons of pure cocaine ( valued at U$D 270 Millions ) from Venezuela to Paris.

How on Earth such a quantity of drugs were loaded on an AF plane ????

"mi caro amigo" maybe you're more naïve than I though?

For legal purposes I'm not naming anyone nor any airlines from Brazil, but there was once an scandal of weapons being sent to Venezuela on passenger planes.

Another thing is, Cargo employees here who couldn't buy a second hand car, from one day to the other wes driving camaro chevy (in brazil they don't cost less than 70.000,00 USD).

MAO can be hectic.

AR385

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Quoting Aesma (Reply 21):
20$ the gram, doesn't seem that off to me.

Once it is sold by the gram it´s heavily cut. At most, it has only about 50% to 60% cocaine content. Also, those kilos are sold "retai.l" Each kilo, in Spain, which is the usual point of entry and the cheaper place to buy them in Europe go for between $55,000 USD to $60,000 USD. That gives a value of about $78,000,000 USD for the shipment.

Considering a kilo bought in Peru, Bolivia or Colombia, which is probably where they got them, goes for $1,000 to $2,000 USD you can see how this business of drug trafficking is incredibly profitable and will never go away. But I suppose that is another discussion.

Were all the suitcases in the same container or spread around different ones?

cschleic

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Point that I am making is that all of the above persons are there to ensure that we the pax do not bring any contraband onboard an a/c to jepodize the safety of the travelling public, more scrutiny may be needed for those persons working behind the scenes.

Kind of raises the age old question of who watches the watchers?

Aesma

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:52 pm

I missed a 0 in my calculation, would be 200$ per gram, a bit on the expensive side even for pure product.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Viscount724

RE: 1.3 Tons Of Cocaine Carried On AF CCS-CDG Flight

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:26 pm

This reminds me of the following shipment of 160 kg of "khat" on a LHR-YEG flight a month ago. It's a mild narcotic stimulant that originates in east Africa and is illegal in Canada. It was described as "green tea" by the shipper and was professionally packaged in plastic bags.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ized-at-edmonton-airport-1.1700414

LAXdude1023

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:57 pm

And Paris just got a much happier place!
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:06 am

Hi everyone,

For 1.3 tons of Coke to be "hidden" under the belly of an A340 departing out of an international airport which is supposed to have one of the toughest anti-drug squadrons in the country, I say even Air France has its toll of responsibility.

All the way from the airport, to the cargo handlers, to the bag loaders, and the airline's own screening guys must be SOMEHOW involved. If the drug guys were to ship $270 million worth of white powder, I'm sure they took ALL the necessary measures to load it all on board the aircraft... that includes bribes and other stuff I just don't imagine...

Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

RyanairGuru

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:20 am

Quoting SQ325 (Reply 17):
From my experience it seems nearly impossible to get more than a ton of drug onto an Aircraft without a little help by the officials

How much experience do you have, exactly, smuggling a ton of snuff onto an aircraft?     
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ual747den

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:06 am

If you are getting pure coke for $20 a gram you must give me a call, I think we can become close friends!!!!

Joking aside that price was completely off, it is much more expensive than that and that shipment will at least double in weight before it's sold to actual consumers.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

jfk777

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:14 am

One has to wonder if they got this shipment how many got through. Why would some one risk shipping that much unless they were sure it had a high probability of getting through.

lightsaber

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:31 am

Of 1,100 or so tons created per year, this is a drop in the bucket.

I'm glad it was seized. I lost a friend to drugs in high school. The saddest part is he still lives... but what was my friend was burned out by drugs. Mostly cocaine, but also others. But a small seizure is just that. Yes, a big shipment.

http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/tocta/4.Cocaine.pdf

I hope the authorities figure out the corrupt internal sources and shut down the path.

LIghtsaber
Winter is coming.

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:41 am

Latest news saying three military personnel were arrested in Venezuela + three british / three italian citizens were arrested in Paris. AF is also carrying an internal investigation to find out how this happened. The same news agencies are talking about the use of fake names to load the suitcases in CCS.
Gear Up!!: DC-3 / EMB-110 / FH-227 / A318-19-20-21 / B732 / B763 / B789 / B788 / A343 / ATR72-600

747megatop

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:46 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 8):
It´s not your average drug mule taping some kilos to its body.

I have always wondered why kilos are used for drugs, why not lbs(pounds)?  
Anyways, now getting back to the topic of the thread; good that the folks in France caught it. But, it raises serious concerns of the security setup in the point of origin. 1 ton of cocaine cannot be shipped without an inside involvement in the aviation security establishment at the point of origin unless they did a totally sloppy job. What if a far more sinister cargo had got onboard?

atnight

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:56 am

I am not very surprised that CCS is becoming a major traffic route. Without getting into politics, right now the level of corruption in Venezuela and the authorities is just atrocious. You just cannot trust any government official. I wouldn't be surprise that this has lots of people involved, including police and others.. The problem is that in Venezuela you won't get the real head, just lower middle men if any. Anyways, I'm sure CCS has huge drug traffic, probably the highest in the region, you just don't have real controls even when told otherwise. You just don't put that much coke unless is already a sure and tried way. People should watch NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC's documentaries on the drug traffickers and what they say.
B707 B727 B733/5/7/8/9 B742/4 B752/3 B763/4 B772 A310 A318/319/320 A332 A343 MD80 DC9/10 CRJ200 ERJ145 ERJ-170 Be1900 Da

AR385

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:53 am

Quoting atnight (Reply 38):
People should watch NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC's documentaries on the drug traffickers and what they say.

Those documentaries are pretty sensationalist and tendencious. They are scripted, and thus worthless. Don´t take them seriously. The kind of crap they say sometimes makes me think that network is owned by FOX. Thanks to those programs NatGeo´s credibility has pretty much sunk down in my book.

RyanairGuru

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:10 am

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 37):
I have always wondered why kilos are used for drugs, why not lbs(pounds)?

Two suggestions that spring to mind:

1) a lot of drug crime is trans-national, and the USA is the only jurisdiction that uses imperial rather than metric measurements

2) even in the USA, pharmaceuticals and other legal drugs are measured in metric measurements

Quoting atnight (Reply 38):
I am not very surprised that CCS is becoming a major traffic route

Beyond the reasons you cite about the relative ease of using Venezuela as a jumping-off point, Colombia is cleaning up its act big time. I tip my hat to that country, it has achieved a huge amount in a very short space of time, but it means that the drug trade is simply crossing the land border between the two countries.

[Edited 2013-09-22 22:11:45]
Worked Hard, Flew Right

billreid

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:15 am

I like this story.
this world is one crazy dangerous place!
Some people don't get it. Business is about making MONEY!

andrefranca

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 40):
Beyond the reasons you cite about the relative ease of using Venezuela as a jumping-off point, Colombia is cleaning up its act big time. I tip my hat to that country, it has achieved a huge amount in a very short space of time, but it means that the drug trade is simply crossing the land border between the two countries.

You forgot to mention LPB becoming the new CLO, and ships from former dutch colony Surinam transporting cargo to "mother Holland" without being searched.

Quoting billreid (Reply 41):
I like this story.
this world is one crazy dangerous place!

You tell me! Brazil is a big customer of the Netherlands synthetic stuff and also a big transit point of other "things" to the Netherlands, you gotta see KL both outbound and inbound flights being searched and watched by the federal police.

Bingo1

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:47 am

It's not every day that the load is worth more than the plane.

Oh yeah except passenger planes I s'pose.
Planecrzy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos