AyostoLeon
Topic Author

Drunk Qantas Passenger Jailed, Must Pay Costs

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:45 am

Late last year a passenger on a Qantas flight to Japan became violent and abusive to cabin crew after being told that he could not smoke on board. The passenger was cuffed and the flight had to be diverted to Cairns, dumping fuel before landing.

On Wednesday the passenger, Justin Richard Cooke, was sentenced to nine months in prison but will be released after four months on a $3000 good behaviour bond. He was also fined $2250.

In good news for Qantas, the court also made a reparation order for the cost of the dumped fuel. Cooke now has a bill of $39,287 to pay.

Maybe he'll think twice about refusing to comply with instructions from the crew in future.

Source: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...prison-for-drunk-qantas-passenger/

[Edited 2013-09-24 19:46:57]
The person with no dignity eats his dinner twice

TruemanQLD

RE: Drunk Qantas Passenger Jailed, Must Pay Costs

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:10 am

Quoting AyostoLeon (Thread starter):

Nice to see the Australian Courts dishing out well deserved punishment! What an idiot, also good to see QF gets its money back too!

Byrdluvs747

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:30 am

I wish disruptive pax in the US faced the same punishment. I never understood why airlines here don't sue for the cost of diversions(fuel, pax rebooking).
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

FlightShadow

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:52 am

In good news for Qantas, the court also made a reparation order for the cost of the dumped fuel. Cooke now has a bill of $39,287 to pay.

It's been ordered, but will his payment be enforced by authorities? That's a lot of $100/month payments...
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

AyostoLeon
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:47 am

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 3):

Once an order has been made it is registered and in the event that the costs are not paid, Qantas can apply for an enforcement warrant. Before Qantas choose to pursue the claim, they might consider a means hearing first to determine the capability of the judgment debtor to pay. The issuing of an enforcement warrant authorises the bailiff to enter onto property and seize real or personal property to auction in order to recover the debt.

The bailiff may not seize tools of trade or a motor vehicle up to a prescribed amount if doing so would prevent the debtor from being able to work.

FlightShadow

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:42 am

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 4):

Thanks for the information. I know that for small cases in the USA, whether or not restitution is actually paid can less than certain, and I wasn't familiar with Australian law or large(r) restitution payments. Sounds like Qantas may be getting that money back after all.

[Edited 2013-09-25 18:43:09]
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

ltbewr

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:20 am

It could be worse, he could have end up with a serious jail term. I also hope the court mandates he has to get mental/psychological consuling and treatments to try to resolve the issues that let to his outburst. Still a large money judgment is fair under the circumstances and if gets around it may discourage such events in the future at least with QF.

RyanairGuru

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:45 am

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 4):
they might consider a means hearing first to determine the capability of the judgment debtor to pay. The issuing of an enforcement warrant authorises the bailiff to enter onto property and seize real or personal property to auction in order to recover the debt

Would he be able to appeal against the sentence? If so then surely QF cannot move to collect the debt until after the appeals process has been exhausted.

Assuming that he owns real property then it would be difficult for him to make out that he is unable to pay the debt.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 6):
he could have end up with a serious jail term.

I'm not usually one to criticise sentencing decisions (it irks me no end when tabloid media publish hysterical stories about "justice system gone wrong") but in this case I feel that he did get off pretty lightly. He assaulted a crew member, for which 4 months seems to be the low bound of what would be appropriate.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

allrite

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:48 am

I also hope the court mandates he has to get mental/psychological consuling and treatments to try to resolve the issues that let to his outburst. Still a large money judgment is fair under the circumstances and if gets around it may discourage such events in the future at least with QF.

He was drunk. Seems to me that his behaviour is considered perfectly acceptable by many in Australia these days, especially on Friday/Saturday nights. Probably be a hero to some for sticking it up to authority for trying to stop his "right to smoke" and Qantas is some evil big corporation for trying to take a poor battler's money. Bah.
I like artificial banana essence!

AyostoLeon
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:20 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 7):

Do you mean appeal his conviction or appeal his sentence?

The former no, because he entered a plea of guilty. The latter he could but would run the risk of a heavier sentence being imposed and it is unclear whether he would have any grounds for appeal. The magistrate took into consideration various factors but saw that Cooke believed the diversion was an "over-reaction."

But the issue of costs is separate from that of sentensing so Qantas can still pursue recovery. Qantas may also seek to recover any additional enforcement costs should the judgment debtor (Cooke) fail to comply with the order.

aeroflop

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:20 am

How about leaving him tied up, continuing the flight to the planned destination and having him dealt with on arrival.
Seems like dumping fuel is a bit of over reaction and diverting.

TruemanQLD

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:42 am

Quoting aeroflop (Reply 10):

Right, you were on the flight to make this judgement?

RyanairGuru

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:55 am

Quoting AyostoLeon (Reply 9):
Do you mean appeal his conviction or appeal his sentence?

The former no, because he entered a plea of guilty

I know he can't appeal the conviction, I was asking about the sentence. I didn't realise that the award of costs was separate to the sentence, thanks for that.

He had verbally assaulted and spat in the face of a crew member. Unless they gagged him then "tying him up" wouldn't have stopped him from disturbing other passengers.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

TN486

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:38 am

How about leaving him tied up, continuing the flight to the planned destination and having him dealt with on arrival.

I am also a proponent of a zero tolerance policy in this regard. Any, and I mean any, action that may invade another humans 'space', anything that affects anothers security and safety, should never be tolerated. QF did exactly the right thing IMHO, and this highlights the leniency shown to drunkeness in this country, and anything that can be done to change the communities "views" on this subject can, and should, be done especially when it effects other human beings, especially those who suffer from the actions of idiots whilst undertaking their duties of employment. No, this is not a rant, just passionate feelings I have for irresponsible actions.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

Pellegrine

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:09 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 2):

I wish disruptive pax in the US faced the same punishment. I never understood why airlines here don't sue for the cost of diversions(fuel, pax rebooking).

Because the average airline pax doesn't have $39,287 or whatever lying around to satisfy such a judgement. It's rather fruitless.

A judgement doesn't mean you actually get the money...you can spend years trying to collect from someone who is broke...

Quoting allrite (Reply 8):
Qantas is some evil big corporation for trying to take a poor battler's money. Bah.

IMO, a lot of airlines don't want bad press on this angle either.
oh boy, here we go!!!

RWA380

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:49 pm

On Wednesday the passenger, Justin Richard Cooke, was sentenced to nine months in prison but will be released after four months on a $3000 good behaviour bond. He was also fined $2250.

As has been stated before, based upon the severity of his actions I feel this guy was having a lucky day when sentenced.

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 2):

But this part is fantastic! Good for QF, not having to absorb those costs. Wish that happen with these idiots here in the USA! It may just keep some bonehead from making a real stupid decision, taking it out on crew and passengers won't fly.

It could be worse, he could have end up with a serious jail term

He should have, we have to get a grip in our society and stop putting up with jerk wads like this idiot. Passing on the high cost of QF onwards to this guy may make the next idiot think before they just go off, like they feel they are entitled to do so,
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

rcair1

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:25 pm

Leaving him tied up - and having him potentially hurt himself struggling - opens QF up to all sorts of liability. They are neither law enforcement nor equipped or trained to restrain somebody. Basically - if you restrain somebody you are liable for their condition until released to authorities. They pretty much had to divert and dump him.
rcair1

Pellegrine

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Quoting rcair1 (Reply 16):

That's a great point.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos