Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mfc
Topic Author

Iberia's New Livery To Be Presented On Oct. 15th (Part 1)

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:39 pm

It is now confirmed that the new image will be presented on October 15th, after the first attempt in February. It seems that the next A330 to arrive in November will be the first plane to wear the new livery. It's unknown if the new livery will be the one that the media showed in February. The new logo has to be that one as the new IFE system or the new headsets handed out onboard show that logo.

Links (only in Spanish, sorry):
http://www.abc.es/economia/20130930/...beria-nuevo-logo-201309292138.html
http://fly-news.es/aerolineas/iberia-anuncia-sus-nuevos-colores/

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:42 pm

God I hope it isn't the one released in February!

KarelXWB

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Quoting mfc (Thread starter):
after the first attempt in February

Ah, I still remember it. They had a new A330 partly painted in the new livery last January. Then they decided to stick with the current livery.

F-WWYQ // EC-LUK Iberia (new colors) Airbus A330-302 - cn 1385 by Flox Papa, on Flickr

F-WWYQ // EC-LUK Iberia (new colors) Airbus A330-302 - cn 1385 by Flox Papa, on Flickr

Iberia's 5th A330 (EC-LYF / MSN 1437) is due for October, I assume it will get the new livery? It rolled off the assembly line a while ago but nobody has seen it yet, almost like they are hiding it.

mfc
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 pm

Thank you for your photos!

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 2):
Iberia's 5th A330 (EC-LYF / MSN 1437) is due for October, I assume it will get the new livery? It rolled off the assembly line a while ago but nobody has seen it yet, almost like they are hiding it.

Yes, that one is supposed to receive the new livery. The plane was supposed to arrive in August but delivery was delayed.

mauriceb

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:03 pm

From the IAG group u expect something classy, just like BA's...

Lets hope they suprise us all with a modern, yet stylish, livery!

Clydenairways

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:33 pm

I have a feeling it will be that rubbish "fast food wrapping" version from back in Feb.

reffado

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:38 pm

Great, so they are in a cash crisis and are going to spend money they don't have repainting the whole fleet and even some brand new aircraft. Honestly, I quite like their current livery, it's already a signature of theirs. They could pretty much make it stronger by improving their product, as said above, instead of rebranding. But then again, I do study design so it's good to know money is always being spent on these things even when not needed :P

mfc
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:42 pm

Quoting Reffado (Reply 9):
Great, so they are in a cash crisis and are going to spend money they don't have repainting the whole fleet and even some brand new aircraft.

In fact, they still have lots of money in the bank. Their problem is that they are losing money, not that they don't have it. They are spending the money they have in relaunching the brand, customer service, cabin interiors and many other things.

Braybuddy

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:55 pm

Quoting mfc (Reply 10):
They are spending the money they have in relaunching the brand, customer service,

Well THAT would be a start! Stick to that and leave the current livery . . .

european742

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:04 pm

I REALLY hope it is not the one previously seen, I like the current IB livery, I would hate them to go boring like Avianca has

jc2354

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:07 pm

Maybe it's just me. Their new logo reminds me of the new AA eagle logo.

QANTASvJet

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:21 pm

Quoting Reffado (Reply 9):
Great, so they are in a cash crisis and are going to spend money they don't have repainting the whole fleet and even some brand new aircraft.

In the big scheme of things the cost of rebranding is small. Every aircraft needs repainting periodically, and signage, printed material etc all need replacing. That's not the issue. But the rebranding does need to be emblematic of wider and deeper change. If the change isn't happening, then the rebranding will fail. And it also needs to be a design that articulates the new brand values - whether they be 'low-cost' or 'luxury' or 'safety' or 'modernity' or 'heritage' or whatever. The livery that was unveiled earlier in the year expressed nothing, it was just a lazy Euro-white anonymous scribble. Unfortunately my guess is that is what they are going with. Which would raise serious questions whether IAG really have a well-developed plan for rebuilding Iberia. I so hope so, and I am a big fan of Willie Walsh, but I fear they are about to mess this up. Worse than American did.

Braybuddy

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 pm

I have no doubt a lot of influential people in the airline industry log-on to a.net regularly, and it is a terrific forum to gauge public reaction to any proposed changes. So I wonder if all the negative comments about the new livery shown on this site last Feb will affect their decision. I remember last year there was a huge negative reaction to the typeface used by United (ie the old Continental one) on this site, then suddenly it was dropped. It will be interesting to see what they come up with this time round.

MesaFlyGuy

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:39 am

Quoting mauriceb (Reply 6):
Reply 6, posted s_lt(1380574987, 'l F j Y H:i:s');Mon Sep 30 2013 17:03:07 your local timeMon Sep 30 2013 14:03:07 UTC (3 hours 34 minutes 54 secs ago) and read 1209 times:

From the IAG group u expect something classy, just like BA's...

Lets hope they suprise us all with a modern, yet stylish, livery!

Which brings me back to,

Quoting MesaFlyGuy (Reply 1):
God I hope it isn't the one released in February!

Quoting jc2354 (Reply 13):
Maybe it's just me. Their new logo reminds me of the new AA eagle logo.

As does that of AV.

Iberia747256B

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:24 am

Gott im Himmel!!!!    Thats vile and disgusting livery, really a shame that they´re dropping their current iconic livery for that .........., I mean no brand at all, just some colours on the tail and a liveless soulless new logo.
Its like they just wan´t IBERIA to dissapear and have something new completly different that only has the name in common with one of the oldest airlines around 1927-2013, and I say 2013 cause it seems this is the end for the airline, there will be an iberia around flying but won´t be the real IBERIA, thank you very much Mr Walsh, I bet you wouldn´t ruin BA´s brand in this way.
What others have said here is whats really needed, getting a better customer service and expereince and a new Long Houl fleet (seems to be no problems ordering docens of new planes for Vueling and BA   ) they´re allready one of the most on-time airlines in europe this year, after the strike and labour concflict, so thats definetly going in the right direction, so more work and money in customer service and experience and less in theese useless and honestly hurting to some of us, actions.
Painting the airplanes in something new isn´t going to sell more tickets, and can only get people to feel more allienated towards Iberia in spain, sentiment thats growing, specially in the media and the government. (for what its worth, which is little).

Sorry to rant this much, but I´m really shocked, IBERIA´s livery is one of the best out there, specially in todays awfull trend towards silly soulless white lievery´s or plain vulgar one´s like American´s new livery, its a shame to see them going the same way. Really hope it ain´t this livery but I´ve got a feeling it is unfortunetly.

SXDFC

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:35 am

Who ever said the livery they debuted was going to be the one the new A333 will be wearing on the 15th? Remember what LO did? They went from a terrible new livery, to a decent one.. Hopefully IB surprises us with something classy and decent on this one..

PM

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:14 am

So are the delivered A330s currently operating in all white?

I may be in a minority but I won't be sorry to see the back of the current IB livery. Very dated and tired.

That said, I'm not sure I think much of the proposed version. I do think, however, that it may look better in the flesh and I can see it growing on folks. Well, me...

Quoting QANTASvJet (Reply 13):
they are about to mess this up. Worse than American did.

Not possible!  Wow!     

steman

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:23 am

They might have one of the few classic liveries left but they need to repaint their planes more often than others.
The orange and red stripes tend to fade and give the whole plane a sad and tired look. It´s a really bad image for passengers boarding to see faded colors on the fuselage.
I understand the sun in Madrid can be very strong but their livery, although classic and still beautiful, needs to be kept up.
They could go for a small rebranding, something like Alitalia did, in which the general scheme and colors have been kept.
But I too fear it´s gonna be another one of this super boring plane white with supermarket logo liveries that seem to be the norm nowadays.

Anyway, I wish all the best to Iberia. They have showed already in the past to be able to rise from the brink of extintion and to reach high levels.
They will do it again. It´s a great airline from a great nation.

KarelXWB

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:32 am

Quoting PM (Reply 18):
So are the delivered A330s currently operating in all white?

No, all four A330s were painted in the current livery.

ldvaviation

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:22 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 14):
I have no doubt a lot of influential people in the airline industry log-on to a.net regularly, and it is a terrific forum to gauge public reaction to any proposed changes.

You are joking, right?

TC957

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:44 am

Why do you think he is only joking ? We have a large cross section of the air transport world industry reading and contributing to this site and I doubt any airline executive has a clause saying never to read Anet as part of their contract.

Back to the topic though.... please IB, no more Eurowhite with a non-descipt tail logo slapped on.

MIAspotter

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:03 am

Quoting mfc (Thread starter):
the new image

They say an image is worth a thousand words... so here it goes.   

MIAspotter.

eicvd

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:59 am

I must be the only one who thinks the livery released in February is a big improvement!

andrefranca

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:18 pm

This "new" livery is soooooo Avianca, or is it just me?

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):
A new brand will not build a better airline, but a better airline will make a strong brand stronger.
Quoting Reffado (Reply 8):

G-CIVP

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:18 pm

Dreadful. Whoever designed that had no vision, inspiration or imagination.

r2rho

Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:11 pm

IB does not need a new livery.... but if they insist, the IB tail logo must be maintained - it is timeless and has become the way to visually identify the company. IMO the font is well suited too. If anything, they could retouch the colored lines to stylize them up a bit. But please, not another dull Euro-white livery with a meaningless tail livery...

I hope / want to believe that the various images posted are purely media speculations and not the final result.

P.S. Here's a nice link to the history of IB logos since the birth of the company:
http://www.abc.es/economia/20130930/...beria-historia-201309300950_1.html

aerorobnz

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:06 pm

It's dreadful. really poor.

VC10er

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:38 pm

Im not sure of the year, but many decades ago LANDOR did the IB symbol and the double stripes that swoop down from the top. It got quite dated but iconic. It could have been so beautifully updated without throwing away the baby. That livery was as much a symbol of Spain as the Spanish flag...IMHO

(Although perhaps I'm biased)

Also IMHO, it is far better to refresh an icon than dump it entirely for a completely new one- big changes like AA seem like a Hail Mary. Like when UA went to battleship because Wolf liked military looking aircraft.

Imagine if PanAm were here today and dropped the globe for an identity like AA's new one?

Tapping into the heart is one good way to differentiate in an un- differentiated world.

While Delta had too many changes, they knew NEVER to lose the widget!

seahawk

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:40 pm

One wonders why they bring the livery that has been met with so much resistance when they thought about introducing it the first time. The IB on the tail has to stay. It is like LH dropping the Kranich.

BlueShamu330s

Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:18 pm

I think many are missing the point that this is an opportunity to put it out to the public that the old Iberia with its old ways and its old industrial relations and problems is a thing of the past.

Whilst it might be nice to reminisce with misty eyes over how nice the current livery looked on the B727s and DC9s back in the 80s, IAG have drawn a line in the sand. This is not the creaking Iberia dinosaur of old. This is the new lean, competitive carrier of Spain, proud to be Iberian and everything Spanish and forward thinking.

For that reason, a new livery and dumping any reference to the past is an absolute necessity.

Whether we like it or not is worthy of another thread when it is revealed, but I am 100% behind the decision to back the new Iberia with a new identity.

Rgds

garpd

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:02 pm

I like the new logo. Clean and fresh and bang up to date.

Pity they're going eurowhite on the livery. Still. At least there is more colour to this one than Finnair and JAL!

N766UA

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:06 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 30):

Looks just like American's. Ribbony, non-descript, and unimaginative.

vv701

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:07 pm

Quoting Reffado (Reply 6):

I doubt that a single aircraft will be repainted in the new livery that, if the old livery had been kept, would not have been repainted in that livery in exactly the same time frame.

Unless the IB Paint Shop at MAD is much too big for IB's own requirements, IB have been holding back on repainting aircraft already in their fleet. During the summer IB rolled out at least three of its old 320s repainted in G4's livery:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Quinn

More recently the IB Paint Shop has been helping repaint BA's 320s and 321s as the BA LHR Paint Shop has been temporarily closed. Four BA aircraft have been repainted at MAD since early August. A fifth is currently "down south" being repainted.

jsnww81

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:09 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 27):

Im not sure of the year, but many decades ago LANDOR did the IB symbol and the double stripes that swoop down from the top.

The current Iberia scheme was unveiled on a 727-200 in 1977.

I think the new logotype and symbol has potential, but not if it's done with the treatment that was leaked earlier this year. Those renderings were incredibly dull.

OM617

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:12 pm

I think a minor to moderate livery refreshment is in order (think KLM). The 'IBERIA' should be larger and more forward. The current livery may be very '70s, but I don't tire of it. I can think of some recent new liveries that are quite off-putting.
Are there any images of an aircraft in the new livery (what was first released earlier this year)?

From what I'm interpreting from the OP's first link, the logo that appeared on the engines in the photos in reply 2 will stay, but only on the engines. The logo is supposed to represent the tail of the plane. The crown will appear, presumably much smaller, alongside the flag and registration. The first frame with the new livery will be christened "Juan Carlos I"

Is there an image, symbol or whatever, that a Spaniard would like to see represented in a "new" IB livery for the 21st century?

BTW,

Quoting seahawk (Reply 28):
It is like LH dropping the Kranich

JAL brought theirs back!

OM617

Braybuddy

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Quoting garpd (Reply 30):

Yuk. Could be anything, from a soft drink can to a packet of cigarettes. The barrel-distorted typeface is irritating. I really, really hope that they do not go with this design.

dptraveller

Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Quoting eicvd (Reply 22):

definitely not the only one! I couldn't agree more - the current livery is very tired and dated in my opinion

ldvaviation

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 31):
Looks just like American's. Ribbony, non-descript, and unimaginative.

Yup, that is why FutureBrand won a CLIO in the Corporate Identity Design category for the new AA brand.

Fortunately, "influential people in the airline industry" value what is said here more than a prestigious award like that.

Viscount724

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 33):
The current Iberia scheme was unveiled on a 727-200 in 1977.

Apart from AA (and ET/AZ/AF) until until their most recent changes, I can't think of any older current livery than IB.

Francoflier

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Eurowhite all around with a title written in a font that belongs in kid's toy commercial.
The distinctive Iberia livery is now gone in favor of the image of one of these cheap dotcom startup company which you expect to fail within a few months. Completely bland and forgettable.

Hurray for overpaid marketing executives!

[Edited 2013-10-01 14:17:32]

jumpjets

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 39):
Completely bland and forgettable.

Perhaps we should just wait and actually see the final product before dismissing it entirely - you may be proved right - but for now I am hoping for an improvement on the proposed scheme from earlier in the year.

CapEd388

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Im really nervous about this rebrand, I hope its different from the one "leaked" earlier this year. I really like the "IB" symbol with the crown, I think they should just simply update and refresh it.

I was reading an article on ATW and found this quote interesting:

"The carrier said the new brand image, which will keep the current symbols and color scheme that identify the airline as the Spanish flag carrier, is part of a wider renovation and modernization program."

This leads me to think that they are not going with the logo from earlier this year and maybe sticking with a refreshed look of the current logo and livery instead.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

ATW

http://atwonline.com/finance-amp-data/iberia-unveil-new-logo-oct-15

mfc
Topic Author

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:23 am

Quoting CapEd388 (Reply 41):

I think that changing the logo is unlikely. As I said in the introduction of this thread, the new logo already appears in the new IFE system and on the headsets.

If you look closely, the headset shows the new logo printed on it.

(Photo courtesy of my sister)

seahawk

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:28 am

Yes, an update of the current design would be good. The IB on the tail is iconic. Mayn carriers would be happy to have such a widely known tail logo. (and the new desing from last years looks way too much like Avianca)

KarelXWB

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:45 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 2):
Quoting mfc (Reply 3):
Yes, that one is supposed to receive the new livery. The plane was supposed to arrive in August but delivery was delayed.

MSN 1437 has finally been spotted outside! I will keep an eye on her.

F-WWKA // EC- Iberia Airbus A330-302 - cn 1437 by Flox Papa, on Flickr

mfc
Topic Author

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Quoting KarelXWB (Reply 44):

Thank you!

Francoflier

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 40):
Perhaps we should just wait and actually see the final product before dismissing it entirely

I guess we should.
It's... It's just that I've been let down so many times before.   

jumpjets

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Quoting francoflier (Reply 46):
It's just that I've been let down so many times before

I am sure that counselling will be made available for those suffering a trauma when the final product is revealed.  

Braybuddy

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 47):
I am sure that counselling will be made available for those suffering a trauma when the final product is revealed.

LOL! If the livery is as previewed here last Feb there will be a collective nervous breakdown on a.net (myself included).

We await with bated breath . . . .

jumpjets

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 48):
LOL! If the livery is as previewed here last Feb there will be a collective nervous breakdown on a.net

Maybe on board instead of passing around boiled sweets they'll hand out valium.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos