Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

DTWPurserBoy

RE: 9 Yr Old Clears TSA & Flies MSP-LAS W/o A Ticket

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Quoting MountainFlyer (Reply 49):
This type of system is not uncommon. Many of the light rail (not subway) transits I've been on are that way. Off the top of my head I know Portland's MAX is the same system, and it is far more extensive than Minneapolis light rail.

Very common in Europe. I have been on the trams in AMS and have been asked to see my ticket by someone that flashed a transit badge at me. If they catch you without one there is a huge on-the-spot fine.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

AustrianZRH

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Quoting pdx (Reply 42):
Maybe he was trying to find Mrs. Ada Quonsett?

He should have waited for a 707 then. Unfortunately that would take, like, eternity nowadays...
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

Arcrftlvr

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Quoting ubeema (Reply 20):
smart kiddo! Fooled everyone on his way: parents, TSA, DL, including the passenger assigned to the seat he flew on. Flight attendants probably figured it out when he asked for his wine but did not have a credit card. The banker will always get you...
Quoting PlaneAdmirer (Reply 47):
So I told my 9 year old son and he was envious. The boy, assuming that his home life is normal, is going to have a great story to tell at school. It would be interesting to know if Vegas was his plan or it was just easiest opportunity. If the plan was Vegas, was he going for the gaming, shows, restaurants, or clubs?

If his parents ground him, they may have to take some extraordinary measures to keep where he is supposed to be.

As a parent, part of me would be somewhat pleased at the chutzpah.

Are you people kidding me??? This kid is a future sociopath. He stole food and he fraudulently boarded an aircraft in the span of two days...that we know about. This kid is a criminal yet you people are celebrating him like he was some precocious kid with nothing but curiosity motivating him. He needs to be charged for theft and disciplined appropriately. In addition, his parents should be charged with neglect if they didn't notice he was gone until he had already been en-route to LAS. I can't believe what I'm reading. A parent would be pleased with this behavior? I would be devastated if my child pulled a stunt like this...we can sit here and blame DL and the TSA all we want. But ultimately, it's the parents that have obviously failed here...this kid obviously needs some psychological help.

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 48):
This should be used as a teaching experience for parents as in "Do Not Attempt To Do This At Home." It does make you wonder why this child was attempting to run away from home. As a father, a flight attendant and a nurse I would see this behavior as a warning sign that either something was terribly wrong at home or this was a sign of a potentially serious psychological issue.

Exactly!

MountainFlyer

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Reply 52):
A parent would be pleased with this behavior? I would be devastated if my child pulled a stunt like this...we can sit here and blame DL and the TSA all we want. But ultimately, it's the parents that have obviously failed here...this kid obviously needs some psychological help.

Pleased with his behavior; no. Impressed at his intelligence and problem-solving skills, absolutely. If he can be taught to properly channel those skills and use them for good he has great potential.

I digress. This is not a parenting forum.
SA-227; B1900; Q200; Q400; CRJ-2,7,9; 717; 727-2; 737-3,4,5,7,8,9; 747-2; 757-2,3; 767-3,4; MD-90; A319, 320; DC-9; DC-1

cloudboy

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:41 pm

Agreed. For a 9 year old to have that kind of street smarts means that they probably don't have much parenting in the first place. the kid is probably on cloud 9 right now all proud of "fooling" the adults. Give him a few weeks when he recognizes the fallout of that. The worst possible thing is for the media to make a big deal out of it giving the kid more fodder.

What I have to wonder about, though, is how did a 9 year old know enough about how air travel works to figure out how to get through security and onto a plane. And enough to know to pick a 767 heading for Vegas.

I have to agree with MountainFlyer. This kid's energies need to be channeled. Punishment won't keep him at bay - he will figure out ways around that.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

hOMSaR

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:30 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 46):
Sorry to be off topic, too, but my point was that if I was the next non-rev to be cleared to board and my seat was taken up by a NON-PAYING runaway child, I might just be a little miffed at the situation. Is that clear enough? Apparently, you don't end up in this situation, but for those of us that DO non-rev, it gets harder and harder, every day, to travel, so, if a seat goes out, occupied, that isn't supposed to, damn right we'd be upset. We also get upset when non-revs are boarded out of their priority order, but that's another story.

Umm...wouldn't this actually mean the kid would get discovered before the flight takes off? After all, the airline clearly didn't know the kid was on the plane, and thus wouldn't have accounted for him when giving space to non-revs. So, if someone was legitimately waiting to get on the plane, they would have been allowed on. And when the lack of available seats was discovered, then they'd do a check.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

mayor

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:45 am

Quoting hOMsAr (Reply 55):
Umm...wouldn't this actually mean the kid would get discovered before the flight takes off? After all, the airline clearly didn't know the kid was on the plane, and thus wouldn't have accounted for him when giving space to non-revs. So, if someone was legitimately waiting to get on the plane, they would have been allowed on. And when the lack of available seats was discovered, then they'd do a check.

Yes, you're exactly right......what I meant in my original post was that I'd be ticked off of I found out LATER (forgot to mention that) that a seat I could have had was occupied in this manner. Matter of fact, we usually don't find out until after a flight leaves that we should have gotten a seat and that someone screwed up.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

PanHAM

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:48 am

not having read all the contributions, but These incidents can be ruled out completely when Access to gate Areas are bar code co ntrolled. At most European Airports this happens ahead of security check, mostly with a bar code Reader opening a turnstile.

Same again at the gate, where automatic Boarding has become the rule, again, with a bar code Reader opening the turnstile. Boarding without a Boarding pass is next to impossible.

The US was first on the moon, could it be that they are, sometimes, still behind the moon
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:57 am

Quoting Arcrftlvr (Reply 52):
Are you people kidding me??? This kid is a future sociopath.
Quoting cloudboy (Reply 54):
Agreed. For a 9 year old to have that kind of street smarts means that they probably don't have much parenting in the first place. the kid is probably on cloud 9 right now all proud of "fooling" the adults. Give him a few weeks when he recognizes the fallout of that. The worst possible thing is for the media to make a big deal out of it giving the kid more fodder.

This morning on "Morning Joe" they reported that the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that this is not the first run in for this kid. He stole a car, snuck into a water park without a ticket, performed a "dry run" the day prior where he stole luggage, ate at an airport restaurant without paying and dodged it by asking a server to watch "his" luggage and has had other run ins with the police. At the age of NINE? I agree--lionizing this child is not appropriate. His behavior, while possibly not technically sociopathic (i.e. he is not setting fire to kittens and puppies) clearly shows a disturbance that needs to be addressed before he either hurts himself or someone else.

What is unfortunate is that numerous adults are going to risk losing their jobs because of his behavior. TSA, the gate agent or agents are both under investigation. His parents, IMHO, should break their silence and offer a public apology and stress that the boy will be receiving proper attention and state that this was not the direct fault of anyone except their son. Child protective services should also be involved.

[Edited 2013-10-08 04:58:58]
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

PHLBOS

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Quoting pdx (Reply 42):
Maybe he was trying to find Mrs. Ada Quonsett?

Was he carrying a men's wallet?  
What I have to wonder about, though, is how did a 9 year old know enough about how air travel works to figure out how to get through security and onto a plane. And enough to know to pick a 767 heading for Vegas.

Several possible answers:

1. He and his family traveled by air before.

2. The day before, when he stole someone's luggage and eat a meal without paying, he likely eyed the security check-point and observed.

3. He has seen movies or even news clips showing passengers going through security checkpoints and board planes at the gates. Again, he watched & learned.

4. In terms of knowing how to pick out a 767; I, for one, am a bit shocked that this question is even asked here given the nature of this website/forum. The kid may indeed be a plane/airline enthusiast (future A.netter perhaps if he's not in the slammer by 13) and knew how to identify various airliners. When I was 9, I was already able to identify the various airliners that existed back then; granted, the various types varied more in appearance than planes do today.

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 24):
I think we just might have the next Frank Abagnale, Jr. here.

Anyone for a sequel, Catch Me If You Can II
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Type-Rated

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:05 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 58):
Child protective services should also be involved.

They have been. I saw on the news today that there will be a court hearing in Las Vegas to determine how he could have done something like this. They haven't shipped him back to MSP yet. The parents never filed a missing persons report. Did they even care where he is at, what he was doing even with his history? When I was 9 my parents wanted to know where I was, what I was doing at all times.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/1...ight-at-msp-in-protective-custody/
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

dtw2hyd

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:13 pm

What I have to wonder about, though, is how did a 9 year old know enough about how air travel works to figure out how to get through security and onto a plane.

Apparently kids mom works at that airport.
All posts are just opinions.

rwy04lga

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 60):
The parents never filed a missing persons report. Did they even care where he is at, what he was doing even with his history? When I was 9 my parents wanted to know where I was, what I was doing at all times.

I heard that he told his parents he was staying the night at a friend's house.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

802flyguy

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:11 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 58):
This morning on "Morning Joe" they reported that the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that this is not the first run in for this kid. He stole a car, snuck into a water park without a ticket, performed a "dry run" the day prior where he stole luggage, ate at an airport restaurant without paying and dodged it by asking a server to watch "his" luggage and has had other run ins with the police. At the age of NINE? I agree--lionizing this child is not appropriate. His behavior, while possibly not technically sociopathic (i.e. he is not setting fire to kittens and puppies) clearly shows a disturbance that needs to be addressed before he either hurts himself or someone else.

Strip article:

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/226834781.html?page=1&c=y

I am glad he is not my kid!

PlaneAdmirer

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:19 pm

Quoting 802flyguy (Reply 63):
Strip article:http://www.startribune.com/local/west/226834781.html?page=1&c=yI am glad he is not my kid!

Good grief. This kid, at 9 no less, has the ability, patience, and cunning to conduct reconnaissance? The kid has a lot of potential in both directions.

LTC8K6

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:48 pm

http://blogs.mprnews.org/cities/2013...junket-end-in-edina-crash/?refid=0

"Victim says Vegas stowaway WAS driver of stolen truck"

A 9 year old menace to society...

prosa

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:47 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 50):
Quoting MountainFlyer (Reply 49):
This type of system is not uncommon. Many of the light rail (not subway) transits I've been on are that way. Off the top of my head I know Portland's MAX is the same system, and it is far more extensive than Minneapolis light rail.

Very common in Europe. I have been on the trams in AMS and have been asked to see my ticket by someone that flashed a transit badge at me. If they catch you without one there is a huge on-the-spot fine.

Fines for riding without a ticket on the Metrolink commuter rail in Los Angeles used to be about ten times what a typical fare would cost. It didn't take long for people to figure out that because fare inspectors would come around on less than 10% of trains, it was cost-effective not to buy tickets and just pay the occasional fine. Eventually Metrolink increased the fines and ended that scheme.

Getting back on-topic, the fact that the boy appears to be a rather skilled thief/con artist actually may be good for the gate agents involved. Their failure to stop him is more understandable and might help them avoid serious punishment.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Type-Rated

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:58 am

I think this kid is heading for Juvie Hall for awhile. When I was growing up my parents referred to it as the "reform school".
They need to get this kid off the streets and analyzed to find out what his problem is. Apple Valley where he lives is a pretty nice
place to live.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

N747PE

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:00 am

Helen Hayes must be smiling down from heaven. I wonder if the TSA could have stopped her? 

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 44):
If they are paid twice monthly or bi-weekly they haven't even missed a paycheck yet...

I never said that anyone had msised a check yet. BTW, payroll cut-off is today so no check on the 15th.
What gets measured gets done.

ikramerica

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:24 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 69):
I never said that anyone had msised a check yet. BTW, payroll cut-off is today so no check on the 15th.

So NOW they are working without a paycheck. Up until now, they were not, only a thread of one. Either way, they have been promised, BY LAW, full remuneration. So they aren't working for free.

Either way, to shirk your sworn duty when you are assured of being paid because you might not be paid on time is lame.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos