Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyyul
Topic Author

AC/ACR Major Announcement

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:06 pm

AC/ACR launching YYZ-MXP, YYZ-LIS, YYZ-MAN, YUL-NCE, YUL-BCN. Lufthansa also starting YUL-FRA

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=701

Air Canada Launches Major European Expansion

Four new destinations: Milan, Lisbon, Nice and Manchester
Non-stop Toronto-Istanbul service expands to daily flights
New Premium Economy cabin on select London Heathrow flights
Barcelona non-stop from both Toronto and Montréal on Air Canada rouge

MONTREAL, Oct. 8, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada is undertaking a major expansion of international services to Europe from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary. The airline today announced highlights of its Summer 2014 Europe schedule, which includes the introduction of year-round non-stop service from Toronto to Milan, Italy with up to five weekly flights, offering the only non-stop service between Canada and Milan. Flights to this key Italian business destination will feature Air Canada's award-winning Executive First cabin of service.

In addition, Air Canada will increase its year-round Toronto-Istanbul non-stop service to daily flights from three times weekly. The airline will expand the availability of its new international Premium Economy cabin with its introduction on Vancouver-London Heathrow flights year-round, as well as Montreal-London Heathrow flights during the peak summer travel season. Air Canada will also deploy larger aircraft from its international widebody fleet on flights from Calgary to London Heathrow and Frankfurt, as well as from Montreal to Brussels and Geneva in order to meet travel and cargo demand during the peak summer season.

As part of the Summer 2014 schedule, Air Canada's leisure carrier subsidiary, Air Canada rouge, will launch seasonal non-stop flights between Toronto-Lisbon, Toronto-Manchester, Montreal-Barcelona and Montreal-Nice. The new routes supplement the leisure carrier's other popular vacation destinations, including previously announced Toronto-Dublin year-round service, as well as holiday and cruise package options offered in conjunction with Air Canada Vacations.

Seats on these new Air Canada and Air Canada rouge flights are now available for purchase at aircanada.com and through travel agents.

As new Boeing 777-300ER and 787 aircraft enter the Air Canada mainline fleet, Air Canada will continue growing Air Canada rouge to reach a total of up to 50 aircraft, as demand warrants. The growth of its leisure carrier, in tandem with the mainline fleet renewal and international network expansion, is a key element of Air Canada's overall strategy for sustainable, profitable growth, both at the mainline and leisure carrier.

"The expansion of Air Canada's global network to include four new European destinations is a significant turning point in Air Canada's international growth strategy. With the addition of Air Canada mainline service to Milan, a key business centre, and Air Canada rouge service to popular holiday destinations such as Lisbon, Nice and Manchester, we are offering customers great new options when making their travel plans beginning next summer," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer. "Since the launch of our Toronto-Istanbul non-stop service in June 2013, customer response has been very positive and we look forward to increasing to daily flights with convenient connections throughout the Middle East, Africa and South Asia.

"The growth of Air Canada's international network, within forecasts previously announced, is possible due to our ability to deploy capacity and continue growing at significantly lower incremental cost. Air Canada rouge's successful inaugural season underscores its growing popularity among vacation- goers. Similarly, the introduction of our new international Premium Economy cabin has also met with extremely positive customer feedback and we are pleased to continue its introduction with our five specially-configured Boeing 777-300ER aircraft on routes such as Vancouver-London and Montreal-London where market demand calls for a larger supply of Economy and Premium Economy seats, in addition to continuing to offer Executive First business class service.

"As Canada's preferred airline by business travellers, and voted Best Airline in North America for the fourth consecutive year, we are pleased to offer a wide range of premium products as well as high value options together with Air Canada rouge. We will continue leveraging Air Canada's strengths in fleet, product and network while responding to demand on both a price and cost competitive basis to serve customers across Canada and around the world," concluded Mr. Smith.

Air Canada will have taken delivery of five new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft for the mainline fleet between June 2013 and February 2014, and the first three of 37 Boeing 787 aircraft by the summer of 2014. Air Canada is scheduled to take delivery of six 787-8 aircraft in 2014 and the remaining 31 787-8 and -9 aircraft between 2015 and 2019.

Highlights of the Air Canada mainline Summer 2014 flight schedule:

Toronto-Milan

New year-round non-stop service starting June 18, 2014 with up to five flights per week. Boeing 767-300ER service featuring choice of Air Canada Executive First and Economy cabins.

Flight # Depart Toronto
(YYZ) Arrive Milan
(MXP) Flight # Depart Milan
(MXP) Arrive Toronto
(YYZ)
AC842 20:20 10:40 +1 AC843 12:10 15:30

Toronto-Istanbul

Year-round non-stop service increases from three times weekly to daily flights beginning June 2014, subject to government approval. Boeing 767-300ER service featuring choice of Air Canada Executive First and Economy cabins.

Toronto-Rome

Aircraft upgauged from Boeing 767-300ER to Airbus A330-300 service featuring choice of Air Canada Executive First and Economy cabins, from May 1 - October 25, 2014.

Montréal-London Heathrow

Aircraft upgauged from Airbus A330-300 to Boeing 777-300ER service featuring new international Premium Economy cabin, in addition to Executive First and expanded Economy cabins, from June 15 - September 30, 2014.

Montréal-Brussels

Aircraft upgauged from Boeing 767-300ER to Airbus A330-300 service featuring choice of Air Canada Executive First and Economy cabins, from March 29 - October 25, 2014.

Montréal-Geneva

Aircraft upgauged from Boeing 767-300ER to Airbus A330-300 service year-round featuring choice of Air Canada Executive First and Economy cabins.

Montréal-Frankfurt

Addition of a second non-stop flight five times weekly from May 16 - October 12, 2014. The Air Canada codeshare flight will be operated by Star Alliance partner, Lufthansa, and will complement Air Canada's daily Airbus A330-300 year-round non-stop service,

Calgary-London Heathrow

Aircraft upgauged from Airbus A330-300 to Boeing 777-300ER service featuring choice of Air Canada Executive First and Economy cabins, from June 1 - September 30, 2014.

Calgary-Frankfurt

Aircraft upgauged from Airbus A330-300 to Boeing 777-300ER service featuring choice of Air Canada Executive First and Economy cabins, from March 29 - October 25, 2014.

Vancouver-London Heathrow

Effective March 1, 2014, upgauged to Boeing 777-300ER service year-round featuring new international Premium Economy cabin, in addition to Executive First and expanded Economy cabins.

Highlights of the Air Canada rouge Summer 2014 flight schedule:

Toronto-Lisbon

New three times weekly service from June 21 to September 21, 2014, subject to government approval. Departing Toronto on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, and from Lisbon on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Toronto-Manchester

New five times weekly service from June 26 to September 13. 2014. Departing Toronto on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday, and from Manchester on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Montréal-Nice

New three times weekly service from June 5 to October13, 2014, subject to government approval. Departing Montréal on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, and from Nice on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Montréal-Barcelona

New twice weekly service from June 4 to October 11, 2014, subject to government approval. Departing Montréal on Wednesday and Friday, and from Barcelona on Thursday and Saturday.

Toronto-Athens

Seasonal non-stop service increases from four to five weekly flights beginning June 2014.

Toronto-Edinburgh

Seasonal non-stop service increases from three to five weekly flights beginning July 2014.

In addition, three popular holiday travel markets currently served by Air Canada's mainline carrier on a seasonal basis will be converted to Air Canada rouge service beginning summer 2014:

Toronto-Barcelona

Up to five times weekly service from May 8 to October 19, 2014, subject to government approval. Departing Toronto on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, and from Barcelona on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

Toronto-Dublin

Year-round service beginning May 1, 2014.

Montréal-Rome

Up to daily service from May 23 to October 19, 2014.

leftyboarder

RE: AC/ACR Major Announcement

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Wow, up to daily from 3x weekly to IST... I guess with the recent revised bilateral, not only TK got 9 weekly traffic rights but also AC got more slots. And UA can't make EWR-IST work when AC can. It all comes down to how tight you wanna partner with the hometown carrier - AC codeshares with TK much more actively than UA did.

Aircellist

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:32 pm

So, Rouge on Montreal-Nice. Really fighting on Air Transat's ground.

I remember that in the '80s or '90s, AC already did go to Nice, but as a tag-on from LHR. Were there 5th-freedom rights?
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

hibtastic

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Great to see them increasing Rouge's 3 x weekly service to EDI to 5 x weekly.

rutankrd

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Quoting Aircellist (Reply 2):

I remember that in the '80s or '90s, AC already did go to Nice, but as a tag-on from LHR. Were there 5th-freedom rights?

Yes and to Dusseldorf Lyon and even to Mumbai at varoius times.

Manchester high season has been a given with demise of the bmi codeshares and formation of Rouge

MANYUL

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Unless I missed it no mention of where the 787s will be flying after their arrival next summer, just that 3 will be in the fleet. Any ideas/wishes?

aerolimani

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm not sure why they bothered to mention the Calgary flights in this announcement. They're only changing the existing YYC-LHR and YYC-FRA flights from an A330-300 to a 777-300ER.

I wonder if AC is ever going to take on TS, in Calgary. Right now, TS makes some pretty good money on Calgarians, I'm fairly sure. For example, Vancouver often pays less than Calgary to fly TS to Amsterdam. This, despite the fact that it's the same plane; YVR-YYC-AMS. You'd think AC would want to get in on that kind of price-gouging.

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 pm

This is quite an impressive expansion.

Quoting MANYUL (Reply 5):
Unless I missed it no mention of where the 787s will be flying after their arrival next summer, just that 3 will be in the fleet. Any ideas/wishes?

My bet is for the Pacific network, perhaps BNE.

Viscount724

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Quoting Aircellist (Reply 2):

I think all the new routes are Air Transat markets except YYZ-MXP.

Acey

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 6):
I'm not sure why they bothered to mention the Calgary flights in this announcement. They're only changing the existing YYC-LHR and YYC-FRA flights from an A330-300 to a 777-300ER.

That's a pretty major upgauge for us here in YYC, they're adding a significant number of seats to Europe. Certainly worth mentioning.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

multimark

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:09 pm

What an "enhancement" for YVR, 10 abreast T7's. Central Canada's national airline strikes again. I miss CP.

aerolimani

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 pm

Quoting Acey (Reply 9):
That's a pretty major upgauge for us here in YYC, they're adding a significant number of seats to Europe. Certainly worth mentioning.

AC is increasing capacity from YYC, yes, but do you think the price will come down as a result? Personally, I have my doubts. Then again, I tend towards the pessimistic side, or as I prefer to call it, the realistic.

At least the YYC flights will be on 9-abreast 77W, and not the 10-abreast version.

Also, it will be nice for YYC spotters to see another widebody model. Mostly, YYC gets the A330 and 767. I suppose I shouldn't discount the Cargolux 747's, and of course, the Kelowna Flightcraft DC10's. I do miss the KLM MD11's.

Quoting multimark (Reply 10):
What an "enhancement" for YVR, 10 abreast T7's. Central Canada's national airline strikes again. I miss CP.

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Quoting multimark (Reply 10):
Central Canada's national airline strikes again. I miss CP.

I understand your point however, as it has already been said several times in other past threads, it's the race to the bottom due to passengers unwillingness to pay more for their flights. Besides, if CP was still around, that's a big if, what do you think it's BoD would do in today's market conditions? Even Swiss is to get 77W with 10-across in Y.

boeing773er

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Wow, I didn't know that Air Canada had so many 77Ws to make all these new routes work, where are they coming from? I don't believe they have any order, so they must be coming from cuts somewhere.

But it's great to see AC expanding to new Euro destinations, it's a positive sign that they are recovering.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

MANYUL

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Quoting boeing773ER (Reply 13):
I didn't know that Air Canada had so many 77Ws to make all these new routes work, where are they coming from?
Quoting flyyul (Thread starter):
Air Canada will have taken delivery of five new Boeing 777-300ER aircraft for the mainline fleet between June 2013 and February 2014, and the first three of 37 Boeing 787 aircraft by the summer of 2014. Air Canada is scheduled to take delivery of six 787-8 aircraft in 2014 and the remaining 31 787-8 and -9 aircraft between 2015 and 2019.

Whiteguy

Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:45 am

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 11):
AC is increasing capacity from YYC, yes, but do you think the price will come down as a result? Personally, I have my doubts. Then again, I tend towards the pessimistic side, or as I prefer to call it, the realistic.

Why should the price come down? If the market is willing to pay, which it seems like it is, then the price shouldn't have to come down. AC is in the business to make money!

aerolimani

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:39 am

Quoting whiteguy (Reply 15):
Why should the price come down? If the market is willing to pay, which it seems like it is, then the price shouldn't have to come down. AC is in the business to make money!

Of course. I don't fault AC for wanting to be a successful business. I just get bitter when I look at what certain other large Canadian cities pay. Of course, I know that a lot of it has to do with a lack of competition in Calgary. There are no important US airports anywhere near Calgary. Anyhow... please excuse my negativity. I see your point, whiteguy.

All grievances with AC aside... I'd be curious to know the load factors AC has had with their summer LHR and FRA flights in the A33-300's. Moving up to the 77W adds 588 seats per week to each of those flights. That's quite a few more tickets up for sale. Is the demand so high that they can continue to charge the rather high prices, and sell enough tickets that the capacity increase is worth it? Or, will they perhaps lower the price a little so that they can sell more tickets, and yet increase overall revenue? Any thoughts on this?

blueflyer

Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:58 am

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 16):
Is the demand so high that they can continue to charge the rather high prices, and sell enough tickets that the capacity increase is worth it?

Can't speak for LHR, but Air Canada definitively uses FRA to transfer passengers to/from other Star carriers for destinations near and far and doesn't seem to have a problem to fill up the seats. Perhaps a few more connecting opportunities will use up the extra capacity.

To give you an idea of how much connections matter, on FRA-YYZ, one of the newspapers I have been offered on board is a crisp copy of the Singapore Strait Times.

aerolimani

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:14 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 17):
Can't speak for LHR, but Air Canada definitively uses FRA to transfer passengers to/from other Star carriers for destinations near and far and doesn't seem to have a problem to fill up the seats. Perhaps a few more connecting opportunities will use up the extra capacity.

When BMI left Star Alliance, AC seemed to pretty much abandon LHR as a connection point. Until that happened, I'd never flown through FRA. Since that time, I haven't once connected through LHR. Considering that BA and TS also fly to LHR from YYC, it seems like there's already a lot of capacity on that route. Of course, the TS flights aren't as frequent, don't cater to business traffic, and don't offer connections to any other airlines.

When LH canceled their FRA-YYC service, that undoubtedly bumped up the numbers for AC. Indeed, LH does offer a VAST array of destinations out of FRA. So, certainly there is a lot of traffic using FRA as a connecting point. I've done that more than a few times myself.

Unfortunately, I've never flown YYC-FRA during the summer months, so I can't comment on the summer load factors. Spring and fall, however, I've seen quite a few empty seats on the A330-300. Sitting in the 2x2 seats in Y, I've had the pair to myself on most flights.

india777

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:29 am

Yes, finally a good news for MXP, for Milan and for me! The only thing missing is the premium economy missing on that ship.
Best regards,
Marco

opethfan

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:37 am

Quoting india777 (Reply 19):
The only thing missing is the premium economy missing on that ship.

Premium economy only seems to be there to make up for the 10-abreast economy seating on the high-density 777s.

airportugal310

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:57 am

Nice to see LIS get a nod. Granted its no surprise given the Portuguese population up there, but still a nice addition.

So now it will be SATA, Air Transat, and Rouge?
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

SpaceshipDC10

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:21 am

Quoting boeing773ER (Reply 13):
Wow, I didn't know that Air Canada had so many 77Ws to make all these new routes work, where are they coming from?

There has been a couple of threads regarding their five new "sardine can's" 77W.

YQBexYHZBGM

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 21):

Nice to see LIS get a nod. Granted its no surprise given the Portuguese population up there, but still a nice addition.

So now it will be SATA, Air Transat, and Rouge?

YUL also has a large Portuguese population, and there are a fair number of Portuguese expats in the YHZ area as well.

I'd have hoped to see additional service from YHZ... hope springs eternal.

Al
YQBexYHZBGM

skipness1E

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Quoting opethfan (Reply 20):
Premium economy only seems to be there to make up for the 10-abreast economy seating on the high-density 777s.

Premium Economy is Economy as was back in the days of yore, if that's what you want, it's on offer, pay for it. If not, then ten abreast down the back it is. If it's good enough for Emirates and Air New Zealand, Air Canada with it's somewhat higher cost base really doesn't have much of a choice.
This is not the fault of (us) beancounters, it's the public who want to fly in unprecedented numbers and yet expect to pay pennies and cents.

bmacleod

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Nice to see MAN service restored. Anyone remember the year MAN was dropped?

[Edited 2013-10-09 07:48:40]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

YYCSpotter

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:20 pm

One thing that comes with the upgrades to YYC, are cuts to YEG, with their daily 763 service to LHR having frequency cuts. While not a good thing for YEG, It leads me to believe that airlines are, for the most part, trying to route traffic away from YEG, and down south to YYC. Opinions?

YQBexYHZBGM

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:40 pm

Quoting YYCSpotter (Reply 26):
While not a good thing for YEG, It leads me to believe that airlines are, for the most part, trying to route traffic away from YEG, and down south to YYC. Opinions?

Two simple equations: Big Oil = $$$ (and £££ in this case), and Big Oil = YYC > YEG.

Al

c172akula

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Word is there is an announcement up in YEG tomorrow and it may be AC cutting the LHR completely and allocating that bird to Rouge.

If this does in fact happen does BA step in and operate LHR-YEG? Or maybe they tack YEG on to the current LHR-YYC flight?

aerolimani

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:29 pm

It leads me to believe that airlines are, for the most part, trying to route traffic away from YEG, and down south to YYC. Opinions?

For many Edmontonians, the drive to YEG is at least a 1/2 hour, in perfect traffic. Driving to YYC is about 3 hours, and with the whole family, that can mean a significant savings over flying out of YEG, depending on your destination. There's definitely a drain on passengers from YEG, particularly in the leisure travel market. If airlines are taking capacity away from YEG, this might be one of their reasons.

Important to note, though, is that Icelandair just chose to start up YEG - KEF, four times per week, starting March 26, 2014. It's fair to assume that their intention is mostly to fly passengers onwards to Europe, perhaps also offering them an unlimited stopover in Iceland. So, all is not lost for YEG.

Viscount724

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:30 am

Quoting opethfan (Reply 20):
Quoting india777 (Reply 19):
The only thing missing is the premium economy missing on that ship.

At 8-abreast and 38-inch pitch it's still much better than 9-abreast Y on the lower-density AC 777s. It's comparable to the original J class products from the 1980s.

opethfan

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:39 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 30):

It certainly wasn't a criticism, more of a reminder that Y+ is only available on the new 77Ws.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:49 am

cuts to YEG, with their daily 763 service to LHR having frequency cuts.
Quoting c172akula (Reply 28):
Word is there is an announcement up in YEG tomorrow and it may be AC cutting the LHR completely and allocating that bird to Rouge.

Seems like they are cutting the route entirely for January, Feb and March.

http://globalnews.ca/news/893590/air...nd-london-for-nearly-three-months/

Thenoflyzone
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

transaeroyyz

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:43 am

What ever happened to resuming Moscow?

skipness1E

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:07 am

I keep reading YEG-LHR was launched in 2006 except wasn't AC852 / 853 YVR-YEG-LHR for years. I remember it on the L1011-500 occasionally stopping at PIK during ir-ops. When was it axed or are they mis-reporting the dropping of the YVR tag on? Seasonal is better than no operations at all I think.

Vio

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 am

Quoting aerolimani (Reply 6):
I wonder if AC is ever going to take on TS, in Calgary. Right now, TS makes some pretty good money on Calgarians, I'm fairly sure. For example, Vancouver often pays less than Calgary to fly TS to Amsterdam. This, despite the fact that it's the same plane; YVR-YYC-AMS. You'd think AC would want to get in on that kind of price-gouging.

I always wondered why Air Canada doesn't fly to Amsterdam. Yeah, I know that Star Alliance offers flights there, but it's odd that they would go to Brussels and not Amsterdam. I know KLM have a huge presence in Canada, but like you said, TS has full flights to AMS all the time.

I'm sure they'd do well on if they started a few routes to AMS (from YYZ, YUL and YVR... maybe even YYC)

On a different note, how come YWG has no Trans Atlantic service? I'm sure they can fill a 767 to LHR...
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

SpaceshipDC10

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Quoting vio (Reply 35):
On a different note, how come YWG has no Trans Atlantic service? I'm sure they can fill a 767 to LHR...

You may find an answer here: Why No Transatlantic Service At YWG? (by KLSMB Sep 7 2013 in Civil Aviation)

c172akula

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:46 pm

Quoting vio (Reply 35):
I always wondered why Air Canada doesn't fly to Amsterdam. Yeah, I know that Star Alliance offers flights there, but it's odd that they would go to Brussels and not Amsterdam. I know KLM have a huge presence in Canada, but like you said, TS has full flights to AMS all the time.

KL is serving YYC-AMS and has built that route up very nicely over the last few years. First with increased frequencies in both winter and summer, and also through upguaging. Going from the 332 to a 332/MD11 mix one summer, and now this past summer we had the 332/333 mix and summer 2014 they are throwing a 772 into the mix as well.

Acey

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 34):

I keep reading YEG-LHR was launched in 2006 except wasn't AC852 / 853 YVR-YEG-LHR for years.

Most recently, AC852/853 was the second YYC-LHR frequency operated by a 763, last flying in 2010. I'd like for them to save us this flight number in case we ever get it back.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

skipness1E

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Quoting Acey (Reply 38):
Most recently, AC852/853 was the second YYC-LHR frequency operated by a 763, last flying in 2010. I'd like for them to save us this flight number in case we ever get it back.

My legacy GLA/PIK flight number, AC842YYZ-PIK/GLA was just re-assigned to IST. It hurts  

Looks like the B77W is coming to the West coast to keep things at once daily high capacity.

drgmobile

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Quoting vio (Reply 35):

There is nothing odd about it at all. Amsterdam is KLM, which is SkyTeam. Brussels is Star Alliance and AC codeshares on a lot of its flights, particularly to Africa.

OOSGB

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:40 pm

Not to mention the strong links between Québec and Belgium

Viscount724

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Quoting vio (Reply 35):

AC has tried YYZ-AMS a couple of times. I think it was seasonal. Wasn't profitable and was dropped. Not much premium traffic and hard to compete with KL to their major hub, especially when most AMS traffic is connecting beyond. CP discovered that after about 30 years of service to AMS from almost all major cities in Canada and dropped AMS after they obtained rights to LHR and FRA in the 1980s.

BRU is an excellent connecting point for Africa and Montreal has significant immigrant communities from the many French-speaking countries in Africa served by SN.

I suppose Rouge could try AMS again but I think there are more lucrative potential markets.

CPA62

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:59 pm

Little disappointed, would have liked to have seen Air Canada start a Rouge YVR-CDG route?
Can see YVR-CDG performing better than some of the routes announced?

cslusarc

Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:28 am

speaking of AMS, it should be flown by Rouge.
--cslusarc from YWG

opethfan

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:19 am

Quoting CPA62 (Reply 43):

Little disappointed, would have liked to have seen Air Canada start a Rouge YVR-CDG route?
Can see YVR-CDG performing better than some of the routes announced?

I've wanted YVR-CDG for a while now. There were a few groups on my YVR-YUL for the connection who were also heading onto CDG, so I'd imagine there's at least some O&D traffic.

I thought AF would introduce it to bring pax into their network, but apparently they're satisfied with AMS.

YYCSpotter

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:28 pm

With this major announcement out of the way, when can we expect to see the announcment we have all truly been waiting for; What is the next narrowbody for AC?

Viscount724

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Quoting opethfan (Reply 45):
I've wanted YVR-CDG for a while now. There were a few groups on my YVR-YUL for the connection who were also heading onto CDG, so I'd imagine there's at least some O&D traffic.

I thought AF would introduce it to bring pax into their network, but apparently they're satisfied with AMS.

Not enough YVR-CDG O&D traffic to justify regular direct service, apart from the limited summer seasonal service offered by Air Transat. I think most TS flights operate YVR-YYC-CDG. And with the very weak economic situation in France, there's not going to be a lot of traffic originating CDG to YVR. Most France-originating leisure traffic to Canada prefers Quebec for language and cultural reasons.

RP TPA

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:16 am

Quoting YYCSpotter (Reply 46):
With this major announcement out of the way, when can we expect to see the announcment we have all truly been waiting for; What is the next narrowbody for AC?

The last I read (which was a few months ago) was that a decision should be announced by the end of this year. Of course, it could be early next year. I would guess we will hear something within 4-5 months, hopefully sooner.

opethfan

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:43 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 47):
Not enough YVR-CDG O&D traffic to justify regular direct service,

And no one can say for sure how much onward traffic there could be through CDG, but probably not enough for struggling AF to try and find out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos