Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

StTim
Topic Author

LCC's And Cargo

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Do any LCC's include the shipment of cargo as a revenue stream? I know Ryanair and Easyjet do not. Often on here the importance of a frames cargo carrying capability is deemed important.

Braniff747SP

RE: LCC's And Cargo

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:17 pm

WN does, as far as I know.

(I remember hearing that they stopped carrying the mail, though, a few years ago.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

srbmod

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Southwest does have a dedicated cargo program:

http://www.swacargo.com/swacargo/home.htm

AirTran tried it in the past prior to 9/11, canceled it for a time after 9/11 and later brought it back and are currently doing it in cooperation with Southwest's cargo program. I was working at FL when they initially launched it back in 1999/2000 and certain routes were really good ones for cargo, like BOS-ATL, as every flight would have at least a dozen or more boxes of live lobsters coming off of it.

JetBlue has a dedicated cargo program as well:

http://www.jetblue.com/cargo/

Frontier discontinued their air cargo services at the end of September (presumably as part of their transition to the ULCC model).

[email protected]

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:33 pm

In a study of 38 LCCs around the world as part of my work, 28 carried cargo.

Those LCCs that do carry it are primarily from regions that are large, heavily populated, spread out, or have history of cargo transportation. So all analysed LCCs from Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America carried cargo, and all-but-one from North America and Africa.

Only 40% of LCCs from Europe carried it, mainly because of quick surface transport alternatives. Those carrying it within Europe have above-average sector distances for this region (1,581km against 1,312km), so increasing the likelihood of applicability.

If you'd like any more details, please send me a PM.

[Edited 2013-10-13 09:35:01]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

reffado

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:57 pm

GOL does carry cargo in their flights. They even have a dedicated service, GolLog.

FWAERJ

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:05 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 1):
I remember hearing that they stopped carrying the mail, though, a few years ago.

Most USPS mail and almost all Priority Mail/air packages go via FedEx Express these days, and FX renewed the contract recently, gaining additional USPS business in the process. UPS also hauls some First-Class Mail as well; only a tiny amount of USPS volume these days is on pax carriers.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 2):
Southwest does have a dedicated cargo program:

At one time, WN tried a door-to-door same-day delivery service called RUSH Plus to compete with FX's established overnight service and UPS's then-new Next Day Air. It was scrapped pretty quickly.

[Edited 2013-10-13 17:10:36]
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

srbmod

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:43 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 1):
(I remember hearing that they stopped carrying the mail, though, a few years ago.

A lot of US carriers got out of it because of there's not as much money in carrying the mail like in the past, plus some airlines didn't want to invest in the new equipment that was being required to handle the mail in the post 9/11 airline industry.

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 5):
At one time, WN tried a door-to-door same-day delivery service called RUSH Plus to compete with FX's established overnight service and UPS's then-new Next Day Air. It was scrapped pretty quickly.

The passenger airlines do have an advantage over FX and 5X when it comes to daytime shipping since that's when the bulk of their operations domestically are. UPS and FedEx don't have as many domestic runs during the daytime in which to rush ship items. A lot of companies will use a local courier or shipper to drop off or pick up cargo or parcels that need to get somewhere ASAP. My grandfather years ago worked for a small local shipping/freight forwarding company and often had to pick up stuff at Delta DASH that needed immediate regional delivery (There were times it was quicker to use a freight forwarder instead of waiting for the next Delta or Delta Connection flight to that city out of ATL.).

CXfirst

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:50 am

I believe aircraft type (and how they are configured) can also have a say.

Here in Australia, both Jetstar and Tigerair are LCCs operating the A320 family.

However, Jetstar uses cargo cans for loading and unloading, while Tigerair bulk load their aircraft.

Tigerair do not carry cargo, as in that 30 minute turnaround, ground crew barely have time to unload bags and load bags again. There simply isn't time for any significant amount of cargo.

Jetstar faces similar turnaround times, however, the extra time it takes to unload and load 1 or 2 ULD cargo cans is not all that much, so they can carry cargo without it impacting turnaround times greatly.

-CXfirst

[email protected]

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:29 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 7):
Tigerair do not carry cargo, as in that 30 minute turnaround, ground crew barely have time to unload bags and load bags again. There simply isn't time for any significant amount of cargo.

AirAsia carries cargo, and they have clearly said they will continue to do so unless it impacts the integrity of their core operation, i.e. passengers, and efficiency and reliability.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

DABZF

Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:43 am

Norwegian carries cargo.
I like driving backwards in the fog cause it doesn't remind me of anything - Chris Cornell

CrimsonNL

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:57 am

Vueling and Pegasus airlines carry cargo. Pegasus actually has a dedicated cargo department.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

JAGflyer

Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:46 pm

WestJet carries cargo ( http://cargo.westjet.com )
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

adriaticflight

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:03 pm

The greatest LCC of all doesn't go near Cargo for love nor money. Ryanair is just about the bums on seats. Easyjet and Wizzair also don't involve themselves in this sector. Would cause havoc for schedules at some of their airports where turnarounds can be done in literally 15minutes.

JHwk

Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Was it 9/11 or ValueJet 562 that changed things? I remember trying to ship a package in 1998 directly through the airline (United IIRC) and being rejected as you needed to be an established courier.

srbmod

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:54 pm

Quoting JHwk (Reply 13):
Was it 9/11 or ValueJet 562 that changed things? I remember trying to ship a package in 1998 directly through the airline (United IIRC) and being rejected as you needed to be an established courier.

It may have been Pan Am 103 that resulted in stricter cargo regulations, as ValuJet 592 was the result of unauthorized COMAT (company material) being shipped on the flight. Stuff changed as a result of 9/11 that affected cargo as well as mail operations.

PanHAM

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:01 am

the Valuejet accident was due to a careless handling of DG by a maintenance contractor.

If DG is delivered ready for carriage by a freight forwarder to an Airline with separate DG acceptance such things cannot happen.

Lockerbie had nothing to do with freight, that was baggage.

9/11 resulted in ridiculous procedures for Screening and handling of General cargo which has nothing to do with reality and common sense, but had to be implemented and is now in force, making shipments more expensive.

LCCs like easy should consider accepting freight as this would provide a platform for same day shipments with freight forwarders at both Ends handling pick up and delibvery. especially in the single market where there is no customs handling this could be a valuable source of revenue for Lccs with Little Investment.

Sales and handling could be outsourced, a method used by large and small legacy carriers already.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

srbmod

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:20 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 15):
Lockerbie had nothing to do with freight, that was baggage.

Luggage in which the "ticketed passenger" did not travel with. Cargo and baggage when it comes to passenger airlines are fairly intertwined and one would think that any baggage regulations in the wake of a terrorist event or plane crash would have ramifications on the cargo side of things. Some airlines (including airlines like AirTran) got out of the cargo business after 9/11 because of increased security measures and some did restart cargo programs.

dc10bhx

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:36 am

Quoting adriaticflight (Reply 12):
The greatest LCC of all doesn't go near Cargo for love nor money. Ryanair is just about the bums on seats.

Ryanair used to carry both papers and cargo from the UK into Ireland. My wife used to work for the Company which arranged both the movements and billing for the shipments. This soon came to a stop when the turn around time was dropped dramatically when they decided to save money by not carrying cargo.
I'm lucky my job is my hobby

PanHAM

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:24 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 16):

Luggage in which the "ticketed passenger" did not travel with. Cargo and baggage when it comes to passenger airlines are fairly intertwined and one would think that any baggage regulations

the only connection between luggage and freight is that they are carried in the same bellyhold. Besides that, the handling is completely separate. The exception is the USA with domestc express paqckages.

In Europe, the only Option for boxes to come out at the baggage belt is when an on board couroer accompanies the goodsw.

Other than that, cargo is delivered at the cargo Center of the origin Airport and delivered at the cargo Center of the destination Airport. DG checks have always been made, cargo handled by freight forwarders have always been checked on the plausibility of the declared Contents.

The new, post 9/11 regulations require Screening as well. Doesn't make it safer, just more complicated and more expensive.

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!