Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

speedmarque
Topic Author

BA Goes Brilliant White.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:08 am

A subtle livery change for BA. The white will no longer be 'off white' but brilliant white to refresh the look. A 380s, B 787s and new delivery A320s are done, some others have been done but the whole fleet will be changed with regular painting schedule.

babybus

RE: BA Goes Brilliant White.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:22 am

In my mind BA always had a brilliant white livery even though I knew it was slightly off white.

That's quite a clever thing to do, start off white at first then go to brilliant white later on. I hope they don't have any big livery changes for the next ten years.

skipness1E

Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:47 am

Quoting babybus (Reply 1):
In my mind BA always had a brilliant white livery even though I knew it was slightly off white.

Certain people told me to get my eyes tested when I suggested this back in the summer. It's been clear for a while that the B787s, A380s and A320 re-sprays and new deliveries from G-EUYO weren't just clean  
It does look so much fresher.

Trivia question then : What was the first aircraft to be repainted as pure brilliant white?

ZSOFN

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 am

Good move. It may disguise a little dirt quite well but on the other hand the off-white looks dirty anyway. Been looking for a good comparison shot for those who haven't noticed the off-white before:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stewart Andrew
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ludwig Nyberg

aerokiwi

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:46 pm

I actually prefer the off-white. Meh, if anything you'll be seeing a BA-version of the atrocious new Iberia logo/livery soon enough. Brace yourself for corporate blah.

anfromme

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Ah - that's why the 787 and A380 looked that much better in the BA livery than any of the existing fleet (and as such are also the best-looking 787s and A380s out there by a mile).  

skipness1E

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:00 pm

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 4):
Meh, if anything you'll be seeing a BA-version of the atrocious new Iberia logo/livery soon enough. Brace yourself for corporate blah.

Yes they're going to ditch an iconic branding for a random one, I wonder how that worked out last time. Hang on, I am old enough to remember Mrs T and her hanky.
The current BA branding is pretty amazing I think, it's how to do "flag carrier" properly, as in my view, is American  
Iberia is having a "Consignia" moment.

Sooner787

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Let's hope their 744's get the new bright white paint soon.

The 744's that rotate thru DFW look tired to say the least,

Especially when the QF 744ER parked nearby

BN747DFWHNL

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 6):
The current BA branding is pretty amazing I think, it's how to do "flag carrier" properly

Have always liked BA's current livery, especially the simulation of motion from the "wavy flag" on the tail. The new brilliant white main color makes the branding even sharper.

it's how to do "flag carrier" properly, as in my view, is American  

Have to disagree there. American's branding fails miserably in comparison to BA. Just as BA's old off-white is now duller-looking in comparison to its newer brilliant white, AA's opposite move, from brilliant metal to "London Drizzle gray," is depressing. Even the dark gray of the title "American" carries dullness (why not dark blue, instead?). The tail is just ugly; looks like a third grader drew it. There's no sophistication whatsoever, unlike BA's wavy-flag tails. BA's flight symbol looks like a rippling ribbon; AA's flight symbol looks like a cheap imitation of the Greyhound bus symbol.

I do miss the varied tails that BA had in the late 90s; it was fun to see which one would be coming in.

richierich

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Yes they're going to ditch an iconic branding for a random one, I wonder how that worked out last time. Hang on, I am old enough to remember Mrs T and her hanky.
The current BA branding is pretty amazing I think, it's how to do "flag carrier" properly, as in my view, is American

I won't disagree about BA's branding, I think that since the WTs fiasco it has been among the best out there. As for AA, I vehemently disagree and my vote is that it is overall one of the worst efforts I have ever seen from a major carrier. To be fair, it is only the tail that I completely dislike, but it ruins the overall effect. Anyway, AA is another topic.

So basically this thread is all about how BA has gone from white to really white paint. Sort of like the difference somebody would have if they went from drinking coffee daily to ending their caffeine addiction and using Crest White Strips on their teeth. Amazing.

JAAlbert

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:51 pm

This makes perfect sense now - I couldn't understand why I found the BA livery on the 380 and 787 so stunning, but the red and blue offset against a brilliant white is the answer. I have to say, I think BA's livery on the 380 and 787 is about the best out there.

skipness1E

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:55 pm

I am just wondering how many current versions of the BA colours we have live, at least three   Cream / Cream + Crest / White + Crest / and possibly White + no crest on G-EUUD ( they forgot to paint it)

OB1504

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Quoting BN747dfwhnl (Reply 8):
Just as BA's old off-white is now duller-looking in comparison to its newer brilliant white, AA's opposite move, from brilliant metal to "London Drizzle gray," is depressing. Even the dark gray of the title "American" carries dullness (why not dark blue, instead?).

Have you ever seen the new livery in person? I can assure you that it is most definitely not gray.

BN747DFWHNL

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:38 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 12):
Have you ever seen the new livery in person?

Yes. It looks as gray to me in person as it does in this photo:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ameri...d=266c8aded31fc74ff1bf95d89fcac8fb

Braybuddy

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:45 pm

Is there any other major airline that tweaks is livery as much as BA? Since the current scheme has been introduced, the United Kingdom titles have been dropped (no harm there: cluttered and silly), the crest has been introduced and now the white has been changed. Maybe there have been other changes, I don't know.

tonystan

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:06 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 14):

The flag on the tail has also been repositioned across various fleets!!!!

bluesky73

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Now you mention cream, crest and wavy stripes any outsiders reading this may think we are talking toothpaste.

I agree BA livery still looks sharp and certainly hope they do not change the livery anytime soon. AA hasn't grown and very likely never will.

Another reason for brilliant white is IAG probably got a good deal on white paint for all fleets with IBs new bland livery. Also quite a few BA aircraft get painted in Madrid these days. I just hope IAG don't decide to do a red/blue version of the IB monstrosity they revealed today but that's another thread.

gegarrenton

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Saw a 788 at LHR Sunday, new white paint is fantastic in my estimation.

JAAlbert

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Getting near unanimous praise from A.netters on an airline's livery is almost unheard of. BA may want to take out an ad and tout the rare event!

virtual

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I think BA's livery manages to make a brand-new aircraft like an A380 or B787 instantly look 40 years old.

I don't like the Mylius font, or the shade of blue on the belly, or the dirty white (although I'm sure the new brilliant white will be an improvement).

The curent livery has been around for 16 years now, longer than the much-loved Landor livery from 1984/85-1997, so I'd hoped the introduction of the A380 and B787 might have prompted a new and more imaginative colour scheme.

TN486

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Typical British, always want to get one up on the French?

Asturias

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Looking up what the person who came up with the rebranding of the Post Office to Consignia thought, I realize that is world is not just full of completely delusional and dangerous people in it - but also that someone is empowering them and reinforcing their insanity!

quote from the Guardian:
But Keith Wells of the consultancy Dragon Brands, which came up with Consignia, was unrepentant when interviewed by the BBC: "It's got consign in it. It's got a link with insignia, so there is this kind of royalty-ish thing in the back of one's mind. And there's this lovely dictionary definition of consign which is 'to entrust to the care of'. That goes right back to sustaining trust, which was very important."

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...16/brands-consigned-to-the-dustbin

[Edited 2013-10-15 16:06:36]

[Edited 2013-10-15 16:21:53]

QANTASvJet

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:14 pm

It's heart-breaking to see how good the BA livery is and how cheap the new IB livery is. What makes it worse is that VY also have an excellent though very different livery.

spud757

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Quoting bluesky73 (Reply 16):
Another reason for brilliant white is IAG probably got a good deal on white paint for all fleets with IBs new bland livery. Also quite a few BA aircraft get painted in Madrid these days. I just hope IAG don't decide to do a red/blue version of the IB monstrosity they revealed today but that's another thread.

What would look good, IMO, is IAG deciding to use the current BA livery on the IB fleet - substitute the red / blue of BA with the red / yellow of IB and the Spanish flag. Place the Spanish crown alongside the Iberia titles on fuselage (the crown detail in same location where BA puts the crest), against brilliant white background. Personally I think it'd look great for corporate image to look similar, being part of IAG, but retaining the colours of the home nation. Even better - from a corporate logo perspective - would be for IB to adopt the speedbird detail in the red/yellow colours.

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:42 pm

Quoting TN486 (Reply 20):
Typical British, always want to get one up on the French

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 7):

To be fair, QF made a similar change when it adopted its new livery. The old aircraft look "dirty", but the ones in the new livery do - quite literally - glisten. As DFW is all-ER, you only get new livery frames.

questions

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:20 am

The current BA branding is pretty amazing I think, it's how to do "flag carrier" properly, as in my view, is American  Iberia is having a "Consignia" moment.

American Airlines is not, nor has ever been, the "flag carrier" for the US.

AA's new livery, the SCREAMING REDNECK, is an awful design and looks pathetic on the world stage, underscoring every single negative stereotype people have of the US.

questions

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:24 am

Delta's livery would also look much better in brilliant white as opposed to the off-white they use.

Combined with brilliant white, if Delta straightened the arc'd blue belly by continuing the upward angle in front of the wing the livery would look even more sharp.

As in the case of BA, sometimes a simple refresh makes all the difference... and is much better than a complete re-design.

kanban

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:28 am

Quoting TN486 (Reply 20):
Typical British, always want to get one up on the French?

Heck, all they have to do is wash their planes once a month.

kann123air

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:29 am

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 7):

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 24):
To be fair, QF made a similar change when it adopted its new livery. The old aircraft look "dirty", but the ones in the new livery do - quite literally - glisten. As DFW is all-ER, you only get new livery frames.

Good point. A place like LAX might be a good place to compare first-hand the QF/BA 744 differences, as (I want to say, about half the time) QF 107/108 is a non-ER B744.

Coming to think of it....other than LAX, JFK (and JNB, I think) what airport regularly sees BA 744s and QF 744s (non-ER)?

qf002

Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 am

Quoting kann123air (Reply 28):
Coming to think of it....other than LAX, JFK (and JNB, I think) what airport regularly sees BA 744s and QF 744s (non-ER)?

SIN, HKG and perhaps NRT (or is that still a 77W route?). Plus JNB.

skipness1E

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:18 am

Quoting questions (Reply 25):
American Airlines is not, nor has ever been, the "flag carrier" for the US.

Sorry, you're right and there's no such thing nowadays. I was being literal, it has the flag on the fin, a stylised version which looks way better in person and up close, though BA is wrapped in the Union Jack. Pedants beware - I know it's not on a ship but it's common usage, meanings change  

vhtje

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:14 am

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 30):
Pedants beware - I know it's not on a ship but it's common usage, meanings change

Didn't you hear the news this week? We can now officially call it the Union Jack even if it is not being flown on a ship, according to the chief vexillologist (look it up!) at the Flag Institute (and yes, there is such a thing): http://www.express.co.uk/comment/exp...e-can-call-our-flag-the-Union-Jack

Back on topic: good move by BA.

Bongodog1964

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:42 am

Quoting virtual (Reply 19):
The curent livery has been around for 16 years now, longer than the much-loved Landor livery from 1984/85-1997, so I'd hoped the introduction of the A380 and B787 might have prompted a new and more imaginative colour scheme.

Rebranding costs a small fortune, uses up huge amounts of management time and runs the risk of acheiving the exact opposite of the desired effect. Its not just the planes, its every single place where the company name and logo are used. One of my former employers changed the company name, and the grief was enormous, the worst aspect was consistency of brand, finding out that you had two items used side by side that must be either old style or new style and you have 50,000 of one, and 2,000 of the other. Do you order 48,000 of one part in the old style and use up your stock or throw 48,000 of the other part away ?
We were only a comparitively small company and it took 18 months, with planes on a painting cycle of around 5 years thats the likely time to acheive consistency with a new brand.
To me the Landor livery looked like what happens when a boy racer decides to add a go faster stripe along the side of his Vauxhall Corsa, the red line didn't really fit in at all, plus the tail colours were bland compared to the present Chatham design.
A design agency will always tell you that their proposals are imaginitive, cutting edge, world class etc, but they would wouldn't they as they massage the customers ego in the hope of getting a fat fee.
After the reception that World tails received I can't see BA making any great alterations for many years and why should they ? There will always be minor meddling at the edges, the latest being brilliant white, previously it was the return of the crest. Maybe one day we might even see aircraft names again. Plus of course as new types enter the fleet the livery has to be adapted to fit them. None of these changes however make the rest of the fleet look hideously out of place. evolution not revolution is the way forward.

Asturias

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:43 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 32):
evolution not revolution is the way forward.

Amen brotha!

Seriously great points you make, I like the way you think  

In a world where Consignia happened, it's good that there exist down to earth, sane people.

a36001

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:45 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 24):

Agree...It's also quite rare to see a Qantas aircraft dirty, you get the occasional faded red tail and door marks but overall the fleet is kept in very good order.  

MCO2BRS

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:03 am

I was at LHR and saw G-ZBJB a couple of days after it was delivered, and didn't notice the bright white paint, I figured it was just extremely clean compared to the 747 next to it.

richierich

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:00 pm

Quoting MCO2BRS (Reply 35):
I was at LHR and saw G-ZBJB a couple of days after it was delivered, and didn't notice the bright white paint, I figured it was just extremely clean compared to the 747 next to it.

So.... you did notice the bright white paint then?!?

gegarrenton

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Quoting MCO2BRS (Reply 35):

Same ship I saw. I thought is was just new until I came on this thread.

Viscount724

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Quoting qf002 (Reply 29):

SIN, HKG and perhaps NRT (or is that still a 77W route?). Plus JNB.

A few other BA 744 destinations that come to mind:
YYZ/YVR/SEA/SFO/LAS/PHX/DFW/ORD/BOS/IAD/MIA/MEX/GRU.

[Edited 2013-10-17 16:19:36]

RyanairGuru

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 am

LAX, JFK (and JNB, I think)
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 38):

No disrespect, but qf002 wasn't questioning whether BA only flew 747s to three destinations, but was trying to compile a list of where its possible to see a BA and QF 747 side-by-side.

Last time I checked QF didn't fly 747s to SEA or MEX  

Viscount724

Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:18 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 39):
LAX, JFK (and JNB, I think)
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 38):

No disrespect, but qf002 wasn't questioning whether BA only flew 747s to three destinations, but was trying to compile a list of where its possible to see a BA and QF 747 side-by-side.

Last time I checked QF didn't fly 747s to SEA or MEX

Sorry, misunderstood the question. The "side by side" element wasn't mentioned.

kevinkevin

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:32 pm

The new white paint is very sharp. Simple change but massive difference. I am a fan of the off white though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos