Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sandyb123
Topic Author

EK And VX Join Forces In North America

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi all,

Just saw this one pop up on Facebook...

Quote:
Emirates has teamed up with Virgin America to bring you 16 new destinations to explore in North America. Earn and redeem Skywards Miles and Elevate® Points when you take to the skies.

The partnership gives Emirates Skywards members more opportunities to earn and redeem Miles when they fly across North America and connect to and from Emirates US gateways.

http://bit.ly/17c3LJD

Could this be the sign of a closer tie-up between VS Group and EK like the relationship with QF? EK have demonstrated an interest in trying to enter non DXB markets and VS has quite a ambitious presence to and within North America.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

aaway

RE: EK And VX Join Forces In North America

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Thread starter):
Could this be the sign of a closer tie-up between VS Group and EK like the relationship with QF?

No. More likely reflective of a cooling of the EK-AA flirtation.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

ldvaviation

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:44 pm

Quoting aaway (Reply 1):
No. More likely reflective of a cooling of the EK-AA flirtation.

AA spurned Emirates... I wonder why. BA influence?

tullamarine

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:22 pm

What a tangled web airline alliances are!!!.

Unsurprisingly VX and VA have a relationship but VA is partially owned by EY so it will have no relationship with EK who instead has a comprehensive partnership with VA's competitor QF. In addition VA has a relationship with VX's competitor DL who owns half of VS

717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

OB1504

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Quoting LDVAviation (Reply 2):

Or QR's impending entry into oneworld.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Quoting tullamarine (Reply 3):
Unsurprisingly VX and VA have a relationship but VA is partially owned by EY so it will have no relationship with EK who instead has a comprehensive partnership with VA's competitor QF. In addition VA has a relationship with VX's competitor DL who owns half of VS

Oh, I've gone cross-eyed!

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

luckyone

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:52 pm

On the surface this doesn't appear to be very useful. The connecting possibilities offered are limited to begin with, and almost nonsensical. Or are EK seeing a lot of open jaw tickets and trying to get a piece of that pie?

wingman

Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Fantastic news. How many times have we suggested the partnership? Between SQ and EK, VX Elevate members now have fairly complete coverage of Asia-Pac and ME/Africa. I guess the last piece to figure out is the European connection and whether DL's ownership of VA can ever come to include VX codeshares...even a limited partnership would be nice to get mileage options on non-LHR destinations in Europe.

Anyway, for those brave souls out of SFO that are rolling dice in abandoning UA for VX this is very welcome news indeed. I went back to UA a few weeks back to get Premier status for the year and realized for the first time that only Premier Execs now get free access to Econ+! I give it 5-6 more years before Econ+ is limited to Global Services with 2MM lifetime miles minimum. Riding in regular Econ on UA is not for the faint of heart, pure torture.

Miami

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:12 am

According to Emirates' Facebook they stated this:
Emirates has teamed up with Virgin America to bring you 16 new destinations to explore in North America.

Meaning???
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:31 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 8):
Emirates has teamed up with Virgin America to bring you 16 new destinations to explore in North America

Codeshare? If not that, the ability to interline on the same ticket.

If statements above are true that AA rejected EK's advances (and I'm not surprised with QR entering OW) then that really leaves EK without a strong North American partner. UA and DL probably have less than zero interest in cooperating with EK.

Instead EK have slowly built a nice portfolio of "secondary" partners, with B6 providing connections in JFK (and soon BOS), AS in SEA, and now VX in LAX and SFO. I'm sure they would rather have a more comprehensive partnership with a legacy network carrier, but that network is not too shoddy.

I wondered for a moment if EK and US could get together if the merger fails, as it would give EK much greater feed and put US in a strong competitive position in the Middle East, South Asia, and South East Asia (markets they basically don't exist in, east of Tel Aviv), but their hubs could be problematic for EK. PHL might work, but CLT and PHX would be a stretch as they would almost certainly be flown just for connection possibilities. That doesn't sound like a particularly high yielding strategy to me, so I discounted it as an option.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

srbmod

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:34 am

In addition VA has a relationship with VX's competitor DL who owns half of VS

One thing to remember is that all of the various Virgin branded airlines operate independently of one another even with Virgin Group having stakes in them. DL's involvement with VA started up a few years before DL bought SQ's stake in VS.

migair54

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:27 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...e-frequent-flier-alliance/3144115/

Good news for Virgin America, EK and VX has 7 common airports, now I guess if they want to interline they will need to adjust the schedules.

SA7700

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:29 am

Unsurprisingly VX and VA have a relationship but VA is partially owned by EY so it will have no relationship with EK who instead has a comprehensive partnership with VA's competitor QF. In addition VA has a relationship with VX's competitor SA)">DL who owns half of VS
EK and SA codeshare on JNB-DXB-JNB as well as CPT-DXB-CPT and DUR-DXB-DUR.

QF and SA codeshare on the South Africa / Australia routes (PER and SYD), whilst SA and EY codeshare between AUH and SEZ. IIRC SA and VS codeshare (albeit seasonally between CPT-LHR-CPT). And if I'm not mistaken, SA does codeshare with VX between JFK-LAS-JFK. I stand corrected.       Jeez! (And yes interline and codeshare is not the same)

Thanks and regards,

SA7700

[Edited 2013-10-22 01:34:01]
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

crAAzy

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:46 am

No evidence to date that AA "spurned" Emirates.

They've stated all along that they are not ready to look at an alliance partnership with Emirates until they emerge from BK - complicated even more with a possible US/AA merger which is still up in the air with the DOJ lawsuit.

A partnership with VX compared to a combined US/AA means absolutely nothing here.

infinit

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:54 am

SQ codeshares with VX and the entire Virgin group.. rare considering how they don't codeshare with many fellow StarA members like UA
I would have thought it'd be something exclusive
Surprising to see VX getting in bed with SQ's arch nemesis, EK!

lightsaber

Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Am I the only one going 'neat, but it really doesn't mean that much to either airline?' The use of Skywards to fly on VX makes it a little more than a code-share, but not by enough to call it a partnership IMHO.

Quoting sandyb123 (Thread starter):
Could this be the sign of a closer tie-up between VS Group and EK like the relationship with QF?

As already noted, EY owns part of VA. This is a one off deal. That isn't implying other Virgin licensed airlines wouldn't partner with EK, its just that this code share does not change the chance of that.

Quoting crAAzy (Reply 13):
A partnership with VX compared to a combined US/AA means absolutely nothing here.

Quoting infinit (Reply 14):
Surprising to see VX getting in bed with SQ's arch nemesis, EK!

Why? You don't think SQ really does enough business with VX to warrant exclusivity?

Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

TWA772LR

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Should EK just bite the bullet and join Star? To me, the writing is on the wall; with QR in OW, EY warming up to Skyteam, EK and Star are the odd man out. If EK is looking for USA connectivity, maybe they should repair their pmCO relationship with UA...
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

ldvaviation

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:45 pm

They've stated all along that they are not ready to look at an alliance partnership with Emirates until they emerge from BK - complicated even more with a possible US/AA merger which is still up in the air with the DOJ lawsuit.

When and where did they make that statement? Could you provide a link?

qf2220

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:04 pm

No evidence to date that AA "spurned" Emirates.

Im sure if/when they are ready, AA would come to the party and any deal with VX could be exited without too much difficulty.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos