Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

prosa
Topic Author

Spirit Airlines Flight Attendant Sales Quotas?

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:20 am

I just returned from a short trip LGA-FLL-LGA on NK. Not a bad experience overall, and the $175 r/t fare was ridiculously cheap  , but there was one rather discordant note. On both flights the FA's were relentlessly touting NK's new co-branded credit card. Each announcement was several minutes long, and when FA's came down the aisle with applications they actually spoke to each passenger, asking if they wanted applications. I've experienced on-board credit card offers before, on different airlines, but this one had a certain degree of ... urgency, I guess that's the best word, that was unprecedented. On an even stranger note, uniformed NK employees in the FLL concourse were going up to people as they passed by, touting the credit card.

This was nothing like the more or less mechanical way that a cashier at, say, Target asks you if you want to open an account. Having worked in life insurance sales - NEVER again! - I got the distinct impression that the NK people weren't merely following management's order to promote the card, but were under pressure to meet quotas. Is such a thing even possible in the airline industry?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Type-Rated

RE: Spirit Airlines Flight Attendant Sales Quotas?

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:59 am

Maybe they get a little kickback each time somebody actually applies?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

silentbob

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:02 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 1):

Most airlines give a payout for each approved application. Some flight attendants are more aggressive about it than others. I know one that tripled their salary with approvals one year.

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:03 am

Quoting type-rated (Reply 1):

If I had to make an educated guess, then they get $50 commission. That is pretty standard in the credit card industry.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Beechtobus

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:36 am

Correct, there is no quota, I believe it's a $25 commission if the application is approved and $5 or $10 if denied, pretty lucrative, which may explain the appearance of desperation. Red eye flights you don't see the full court credit card press, just daytime flying. I believe they also make a small commission (%10 or so) on on board snack sales. But to answer the OP; while they're encouraged by higher ups to promote the credit card, there are no quotas that they have to meet and no reprimand for not promoting or selling the card. In fact Some FAs are quite vocal about having nothing to do with the card.

Type-Rated

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:51 am

Quoting beechtobus (Reply 4):
Red eye flights you don't see the full court credit card press, just daytime flying.

Do they make the credit card while you wait? They could get approvals via phone.

[email protected]

Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Quoting prosa (Thread starter):
Is such a thing even possible in the airline industry?

Why wouldn't it be possible?!

Of course, many retail-type ancillary streams involve commission as an incentive. And why not? Likewise with branded cards.

And the more revenue NK can make from ancillaries - around $48 last year - the more it can reduce its airfares so stimulating more demand and increasing overall revenue while reducing certain costs.

[Edited 2013-10-22 06:12:36]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

nkops

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:05 pm

I believe they get a commission on each one that gets approved (not filled out)... the folks in the concourses though are contractors and not Spirit employees, they work for a marketing company (at least its that way in ACY). It is confusing since they wear Spirit shirts.
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

bond007

Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Quoting prosa (Thread starter):
On both flights the FA's were relentlessly touting NK's new co-branded credit card

Not as bad as you describe, but I've been hearing about US Airways 'Special Deal for our customers today", every week for the past 10 years!

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

SouthernDC9

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 6):
And the more revenue NK can make from ancillaries - around $48 last year - the more it can reduce its airfares so stimulating more demand and increasing overall revenue while reducing certain costs.

$48-thousand? Million? Billion? Trillion? Actually I love the idea of the Spirit execs counting up their extra money at the end of the year and being all happy when they reach $48 (but of course they'd be just a little sad that they couldn't quiiiite reach $50 but hey, maybe next year!!!!!). I bet the change they find in the seats each year is about $50.

US is the only other airline where I've noticed them making a big deal about walking through the aisles promoting the cards - it's kind of awkward when nobody seems to be taking them up on it - but I might have missed something. Do DL, AA or UA do this and I just missed it? (I've only flown JetBlue and F9 once, never Spirit).
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

[email protected]

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 9):
$48-thousand? Million? Billion? Trillion? A

$48 per passenger.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

SouthernDC9

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 10):
Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 9):
$48-thousand? Million? Billion? Trillion? A

$48 per passenger.

Ahhhh now that makes more sense...

When I worked retail we got like $3 for every store credit account we helped a customer open, and we were in fact required to say "May I put this on your Widget's account?" when we were getting ready to ring somebody up. Some people were really aggressive about it. This was an instant thing, where we called it in - worst thing ever was when somebody got declined, or euphemistically "their application was selected for further review."
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

bond007

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 11):
"May I put this on your Widget's account?"

That's pretty standard practice in many large stores nowadays ...Macy's, Lowes, etc.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

chimborazo

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 11):

"Like" three dollars or three actual dollars?!  

Pearson:

Ummm... Possibly it's more like they can maintain their airfares and put the extras towards the dividend.

max999

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Quoting silentbob (Reply 2):
Most airlines give a payout for each approved application. Some flight attendants are more aggressive about it than others. I know one that tripled their salary with approvals one year.

The thread starter asked about quotas, which is entirely different than commissions. Commissions are incentive based and not required. Quotas are required and there can be negative consequences at your job if you don't meet them.

I wouldn't put quotas out of the question if they're pushing that hard. I've heard these pitches before, but only as a quick announcement at the beginning of a flight.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

chepos

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:52 pm

On my DL flight last year btw AMS and PDX theFA made a PA announccemwnt regardibg the DL branded AMEX, he then passed through the cabin handing out card apps.
Fly the Flag!!!!

santi319

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Quoting max999 (Reply 14):
I wouldn't put quotas out of the question if they're pushing that hard. I've heard these pitches before, but only as a quick announcement at the beginning of a flight.

Its not a quota, its a commission.

[email protected]

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Quoting chimborazo (Reply 13):
Ummm... Possibly it's more like they can maintain their airfares and put the extras towards the dividend.

Not really, given they are reliant upon stimulating demand. Their average fare reductions - and consequent increases in ancillaries - can be seen from looking through their annual reports. Doing what you say would be more down the line.

[Edited 2013-10-22 11:10:21]

prosa
Topic Author

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks for the responses.

CRJ900

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Ryanair made some headlines in Norwegian newspapers a few weeks ago when somebody leaked that flight attendants risk losing their job if they do not sell as much onboard as the company wants them to sell. FAs are apparently being monitored and if you do not reach the set goals, you're out.

No wonder they shout out their great deals over the PA constantly, they simply have to...
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

Type-Rated

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:56 pm

A true quota is Spirit telling their F/A's "You must get at least X amount of people to apply" (per day, per week, per month,etc.)
otherwise we will be questioning you as to why you have not.

SouthernDC9

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:34 pm

I'm glad for the cabin crew that there's no quota for this because it seems like it would be a tough sell overall. Generally when you apply for airline cards online while booking a ticket, you get a certain amount off that itinerary if your account is approved... is there any benefit to filling out the application on the plane? (Also, do you just fill out the application and give it to the FA? Or do you fill it out and send it in yourself with some sort of indication that the application is via the FA? Because maybe I'm paranoid but either way it is not the most terribly secure way to go about it...)

OB1504

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:48 am

Quoting SouthernDC9 (Reply 21):
Generally when you apply for airline cards online while booking a ticket, you get a certain amount off that itinerary if your account is approved... is there any benefit to filling out the application on the plane? (Also, do you just fill out the application and give it to the FA? Or do you fill it out and send it in yourself with some sort of indication that the application is via the FA? Because maybe I'm paranoid but either way it is not the most terribly secure way to go about it...)

I think Spirit offers 5,000 FREE SPIRIT miles to passengers who apply on board and are later denied, and 15,000 miles to passengers who apply on board and are later approved. I believe the passengers must submit their applications to the flight attendant who will submit it on their behalf.

prosa
Topic Author

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 22):
I think Spirit offers 5,000 FREE SPIRIT miles to passengers who apply on board and are later denied, and 15,000 miles to passengers who apply on board and are later approved. I believe the passengers must submit their applications to the flight attendant who will submit it on their behalf.

Yes, that's what I recall them saying.

Flying Belgian

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 19):
Ryanair made some headlines in Norwegian newspapers a few weeks ago when somebody leaked that flight attendants risk losing their job if they do not sell as much onboard as the company wants them to sell. FAs are apparently being monitored and if you do not reach the set goals, you're out.

I'm just back from an FR trip to Morroco.

I felt really harassed on the outbound flight about those in-flight sales, lottery... Too many speeches for nothing. The Purser (an Irish, and I had the strong feeling she was a check hostess...) and her voice were unbearable. She literally overused the PA to promote anything. Thanks God, we are in 2013 and can use iPods, iPads and... headsets.

On the way back, no such thing, the crew was RAK based and I never felt harassed to buy anything. The flight atmosphere was less "Circus" than the outbound...
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos