Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seatback
Topic Author

Should ATL Upgrade Their Terminals?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:05 am

I'm at Atlanta (ATL) weekly and am always struck that the world's busiest airport and hub has facilities that seem old and dated. The terminals are old, narrow, and certainly are not modern by today's standards (i.e. DEN, new JFK terminals etc...)

Other competing airports such as DFW have modernized their terminals should ATL consider doing so too?

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Should ATL Upgrade Their Terminals?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:09 am

I have transitted through ATL a few times in the last few years and never found them that bad. Now, needless to say all terminals will need a few little tweaks here and there to keep them running smoothly, but I wouldn't say ATL's terminals need to completely upgraded.

Try flying EWR-ATL or JFK-ATL (leaving from T2). You'll definitely see how much more dated the terminals can get!    
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

gigneil

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:13 am

They just built a brand new terminal. And even the original terminal is just fine - its hardly narrow, its enormous.

Are you discussing the concourses? There's not much you can do to widen them - and the interiors are pretty fresh, for sure on the DL concourses.

NS

holzmann

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:15 am

I would say T, A, E, and of course F are all great. B and especially C and D have always needed more work.
DISCLAIMER: Airliners.net is an AIRBUS forum. Boeing Commercial Airplanes, if it has considered doing so in the past, should in no way consider supporting this website.

dlramp4life

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:19 am

D just completed a new food court area but other then that ATL is fine on all concourses and terminals. Very well kept since opening in the 1980s.

seatback
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:40 am

Quoting gigneil (Reply 2):
They just built a brand new terminal. And even the original terminal is just fine - its hardly narrow, its enormous.

I haven't been to the new terminal. As far as the original terminals, I think they are very narrow. 10p.m. on Thursday nights, reminds me of going to the mall on Christmas Eve. Packed with people. Additionally, if you're coming in at one end of B and leave at the other end, you don't have moving side walks etc...

Quoting gigneil (Reply 2):
Are you discussing the concourses? There's not much you can do to widen them - and the interiors are pretty fresh, for sure on the DL concourses.

Yes, I am. I guess it wouldn't be feasible to widen, but I disagree there's no freshness in A or B.

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 5):
Very well kept since opening in the 1980s.

They look like a product of the 80's.

My point is, cities often use airports to be a reflection of their city. Denver built a huge airport with a design that reflects the environment. Dallas, as a huge, growing city rebuilt it's terminals to open them up for a modern feel. And Indianapolis built a new terminal that's bright, open and modern.

Prost

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:47 am

Seattle is a vibrant city with a horrendous international terminal. Not all cities use their airports for promotional material.

Detroit has a great terminal, and a basketcase city. It just all depends on how communities prioritize their spending.

seatback
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:58 am

I'd say airports in general are a source of pride, especially with a city like Atlanta, that's home to Delta. It's also not a great reflection of Delta. Ever been to the Sky Club in B? It's basically a walled off waiting area with a bar.

Detroit has a great terminal, and a basketcase city. It just all depends on how communities prioritize their spending.
Now that's a beautiful airport, hopefully someday it will reflect a vibrant city.

1337Delta764

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:13 am

Quoting seatback (Reply 5):
They look like a product of the 80's.

I disagree; ATL has made various renovations over the years. Here are some things I remember that were different from now:

-As recently as 2001, I remember the big boxy exit signs with orange letters. Those are now mostly gone and replaced by conventional modern LED exit signs with red letters.
-KONE has recently been modernizing the airport's elevators, escalators, and moving walkways. I know in Concourse B, the two elevators (an Otis that was original to the airport, and a Montgomery added in the early 1990s) have been completely modernized and now are on a single controller (one call station to call either one, instead of having to push buttons on two separate call stations), and the elevators now talk.
-Flooring is now granite tile instead of carpet.
-Very recently, a new food court was built in Concourse D.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:00 am

They went through quite a rennovation around 2007. The DL checkin (landside) lobby was completely re-done. A HUGE difference from the long counters thats found on the north terminal. Islands as DL calls is. The curb was aslo completely re-done over the past few years. They also rennovated all the concourses removing the old carpeting and putting down tile; redoing the walls ans ceilings and completely remodeling and expanding all the restrooms. Concourse is also went through extensive rennovations as well. Much brighter than years past you need not look further than old interior pics from 1996 etc.
What gets measured gets done.

StuckInCA

Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:19 am

Dallas, as a huge, growing city rebuilt it's terminals to open them up for a modern feel.

Is there some mythical Dallas airport I don't know about? DFW has exactly one nice terminal. All of the rest are like a painful trip into a Brady Bunch episode. I despise that airport despite generally friendly and efficient service.

Quoting Prost (Reply 6):
Seattle is a vibrant city with a horrendous international terminal. Not all cities use their airports for promotional material.

I'll admit the S satellite is not ideal, but it's not horrendous. The airport is certainly nice enough in general. At least you don't have to clear security to move between S and the central areas.

panam330

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:38 pm

And Indianapolis built a new terminal that's bright, open and modern.

And while incredibly beautiful, it's a monument to the fact that the powers that be will build form over function. ATL's concourses serve with function first, form second. For being the busiest passenger terminals on the planet, they work remarkably well and keep traffic flowing. They don't need to spend billions on oversized terminals and concourses when the current ones work just fine. Not to mention all of the infrastructure changes that would have to be made were they to be widened if rebuilt - probably not going to happen.

While I love a modern, beautiful terminal like IND or JFK T8 or SFO's international terminal, I'd rather it be functional, efficient, clean, and full of amenities I actually want to use. ATL does all of those VERY well.

[Edited 2013-10-24 07:39:57]

AVLAirlineFreq

Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:18 pm

IMHO, Concourse D is really the only problem at ATL from a passenger comfort perspective. It's narrower than the other concourses, and the passenger seating areas are generally too small. And while I'm grateful for the convenience of the SkyClub that DL added on D a couple of years ago, it's a pale imitation of any of the other SkyClubs at ATL.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:04 pm

Quoting AVLAirlineFreq (Reply 12):
IMHO, Concourse D is really the only problem at ATL from a passenger comfort perspective. It's narrower than the other concourses, and the passenger seating areas are generally too small. And while I'm grateful for the convenience of the SkyClub that DL added on D a couple of years ago, it's a pale imitation of any of the other SkyClubs at ATL.

Agreed 100%. One of the few "short-sighted" things they did in ATL. EVerything was pretty genious. They left enough rooom to ADD concourse D and E (now F). Even T concourse was initilly half it's size with the intent to add the other wing as needed.

D was origiannly built as a commuter terminal so there was less ambition to build it out as wide as the others.

tistpaa727

Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:23 pm

The problem with the the B,C,D concourses is not the floor (though that carpet was hideous and the new tile is much, much nicer), the LED signage, the food courts, etc - it is the feeling of being boxed in. The original design limited the amount of window space. One upgrade to the concourse would be to extend the windows higher so they curve up to the ceiling. Perception is reality and a change in the window design / size would go a long way to giving the airport a more modern feel. That and something besides tan and orange for the color scheme.

The new international terminal and concourse F is fantastic. Shame they can't replicate that feel across the airport
Don't sweat the little things.

gr8slvrflt

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:26 pm

I wonder if there is going to be any effort to visually tie in the older parts of the airport with the new international terminal. Getting rid of the orange would be a start.

Also, construction has begun on a new food court on C Concourse.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

gr8slvrflt

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:28 pm

The south end of C will be totally Southwest in design by the end of the year as well.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

TeamintheSky

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:38 pm

I have been flying through ATL for 15 years fairly regularly, and I would argue that ATL has done a great job of handling the growth while improving the airport. IMHO, seating near the gates is the biggest drawback as I think there are far to few seats. However, the catering over the years has been majorly upgraded. Also, flying DL, you typically don't get too much time in the airport if you are connecting as they seem to aim for a 55 minute layover or so.

I understand the crowds can be intimidating (especially in the terminals mentioned) during peak banks, but I have seen zoos like JFK terminal 2 that were far worse.

Although I typically fly out of F now, even if not, I still head to F as it is an oasis of calm compared to the rest of the terminals!

Regards,

Team
Since 2010: DL, KL, AF, WX, IG, FR , FL, U2, AK, BA, OK, UX, VS, VN, K6, AT, US, AY, BE, EI, LG, AZ, 9W, SG, AA, JL, W6

DeltaMD90

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Some parts of ATL are kinda beat up, but I think DL/KATL is doing a good job of upkeeping the airport and they are renovating many parts of it.

The most important part, IMO, is it is and has been fully functional. It may be rough around some edges, but it works

seatback
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 10):
Is there some mythical Dallas airport I don't know about? DFW has exactly one nice terminal. All of the rest are like a painful trip into a Brady Bunch episode.

They're all in the process of a huge modernization program.

Quoting TeamInTheSky (Reply 17):
Although I typically fly out of F now, even if not, I still head to F as it is an oasis of calm compared to the rest of the terminals!

I'm on my way to ATL now. Each week I have a 2.5 hour layover, I'll check out the F terminal tonight.

TeamintheSky

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:23 pm

Quoting seatback (Reply 19):
I'm on my way to ATL now. Each week I have a 2.5 hour layover, I'll check out the F terminal tonight.

Safe travels Seatback. If you want something quick and cheap, try The Varsity (Atlanta tradition). Since you have longer, try Ecco. It is expensive but very good. You could just go for a good glass of wine and an appetizer!
Since 2010: DL, KL, AF, WX, IG, FR , FL, U2, AK, BA, OK, UX, VS, VN, K6, AT, US, AY, BE, EI, LG, AZ, 9W, SG, AA, JL, W6

Osubuckeyes

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:27 pm

Quoting seatback (Reply 19):

F is wonderful. I had a connection there in its first month and it was just a really great facility.

As for all the other concourses D is the only one that I would say that really lacks, but it has been a few years since I have been through it.

CIDFlyer

Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:53 pm

I've always liked ATL, although I think they could repaint the orange outside. I think the concourses look very clean and up to date. F is awesome. I do agree on D though I hate when I have a flight out of there its very narrow and cramped. I think they have enlarged the center portion of D and C for more amenities which will be nice. I know when I was there last spring I think a PF Changs was forthcoming, cant remember which concourse it was, C I think.

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 10):
Is there some mythical Dallas airport I don't know about? DFW has exactly one nice terminal. All of the rest are like a painful trip into a Brady Bunch episode. I despise that airport despite generally friendly and efficient service.

DFW is overhauling all terminals except D. Portions of A have been completed and I hear its been opened up and brightened up as well. I think they have pics on their website or facebook site. I'll get to check it out in February when I fly through there. Once its all complete it should be very nice.

apodino

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Quoting tistpaa727 (Reply 14):
The problem with the the B,C,D concourses is not the floor (though that carpet was hideous and the new tile is much, much nicer), the LED signage, the food courts, etc - it is the feeling of being boxed in. The original design limited the amount of window space. One upgrade to the concourse would be to extend the windows higher so they curve up to the ceiling. Perception is reality and a change in the window design / size would go a long way to giving the airport a more modern feel. That and something besides tan and orange for the color scheme.

The new international terminal and concourse F is fantastic. Shame they can't replicate that feel across the airport

The other thing I think they could do is install moving sidewalks the length of the concourses on each concourse, which is pretty typical in other modern airports. This would ease the trip from the subway to the gate pretty easily.

Osubuckeyes

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Quoting CIDFlyer (Reply 22):
PF Changs was forthcoming, cant remember which concourse it was, C I think.

It replaced the Chili's on A. I was there a few weeks ago for breakfast, which was surprisingly pleasant.

zippyjet

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:45 am

Quoting holzmann (Reply 3):

C and D have been rehabbed within the past five or six years. As a matter of fact a new HVAC was installed in C Concourse. And, I remember D was literally stripped to it's foundation. New ceilings, lighting etc. were installed. Maybe it's the volume that creates an impression of wear and tear. And those smoking lounges add the purple haze/smoke gets in your eyes effects.

I sort of feel the way the thread originator feels about ATL as I do regarding FLL. FLL seemed dark, dingy and tired last time I was through it last year. I understand FLL is in the midst of facelifting and improving their facilities. So far MIA South terminal H/J seem to be holding their ownin the appearance department.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

cornutt

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 am

Concourse D is much nicer than it was a few years ago. I used to hate having to go in there because it was so dingy. But in general I think ATL does a good job of keeping things up. The restroom renovations helped a lot; the new restrooms seem to stay clean better and they aren't as awkward to move around in.

ATL is crowded. Whaddaya gonna do. After you've been through there a few times you kind of learn how traffic moves, and then you don't get bumped into nearly as much. People move through that place. You can't stop and gawk in a traffic area.

I think the reason they don't put moving sidewalks inside the concourses is because having that running down the middle of the walking area would block the cross traffic to and from the gates. The alternative would be that the sidewalk would have to be broken up into a bunch of short segments, which would be more annoying than just walking.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:05 am

ATL just works. It does a remarkable job for the volume of passengers and flights for was essentially a 1980s era design.

It is fully functional.

The renovations in the past few years have done a lot to freshen up the terminal. The only area that could use some improvement would be to reduce some of the noise & noise pollution in the concourses. Not sure if there is sound dampening that could be added but between the announcements, TVs, and the passengers they original concourses are loud!

texdravid

Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:19 am

I think ATL terminals and concourses are just fine. I have used ATL since 2000, and it has continually freshened things up in concourses T and A-E, and have added the international terminal, which has separate parking/dropoff/security.

The biggest improvement is the security line, which was horrible in the early 2000's and now is very manageable.

DFW terminals were very old and cramped, and thus, did need major improvements, which are ongoing. D terminal is new, and A has been totally redone. Now the other terminals will get their improvements.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:34 pm

Quoting texdravid (Reply 28):
The biggest improvement is the security line, which was horrible in the early 2000's and now is very manageable.

One thing that's very commendable. Despite how long the lines get at the main checkpoint sometimes, it's like an army of ants moving. Always a steady flow. I've never stood in line for an un-Godly amount of time unlike some other airports of similar size and sometiems smaller!

AAflyguy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:16 am

ATL's Conc D isn't narrow due to the Airport's choosing, it's narrow because it is what was decided by the airlines which were going to be housed there. They didn't want to spend the extra money for a concourse with a corridor the width of those in A/B/C, as D was primarily going to serve smaller aircraft and largely O&D vs connect traffic. So, what you see is what they were willing to pay for in the 1970's. Shortsighted? I don't necessarily think so, given those airlines were not the hub carriers which would grow the Airport so significantly in the future (namely DL & EA). In the years since, especially post-2000, there has been an incredible amount of focus on improving the entire Midfield Terminal facility, including Conc D. Several nodes in the south half which weren't built out now house boarding gates (silver grey vs reddish orange exterior skin). Lighting, flooring, wall coverings and column wraps were replaced. Navigational and gate signage was updated as part of a terminal-wide initiative. Automatic trash receptacles were added. Restrooms were completely refurbished. And, the concessions have largely been overhauled and expanded, most recently with the completion of the D Centerpoint vertical addition which includes more escalators and elevators to/from the Transportation Mall. It may not be as spacious as A/B/C, but it is better now than it has ever been, in my opinion.

For all those who complain about the reddish orange exterior skin of the concourses, I doubt that will change anytime soon. It is part of the Hartsfield-Jackson brand, and is the same color as that of the logo. Also, I have to say that some other airports with white exteriors look dirty, especially DEN and T1 @ ORD. I don't see that @ ATL, whether I love the color or not. It has never looked dirty that I can recall. And darker colors just look boring or uninspired in many cases. I don't quite get what the big deal is about ATL's use of color. It is unique, like it or not.

AAflyguy

srbmod

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:52 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 13):
D was origiannly built as a commuter terminal so there was less ambition to build it out as wide as the others.

No it wasn't, it's just where every domestic carrier serving ATL not named Eastern or Delta was going to operate out of. ATL was a hub for Southern/Republic and was the dominant user of the concourse in the early years (until they downsized the operation there a few years later to focus on MEM), as was Piedmont, who had a mini hub there. United pulled out of ATL before Midfield opened, as they knew trying to compete with Delta and Eastern in a deregulated environment at ATL was going to be a bloodbath.

Quoting texdravid (Reply 28):

Removing the newsstands on both ends really did help out a lot. I remember a number of Mondays prior to the expanded main check point and the South checkpoint opening in which the main check point had a 2+ hour wait and the line stretched to the curb. When I flew out about two weeks ago, I went through the south checkpoint and the wait times there were longer than for the main check point. I wasn't in any hurry, so an extra 5 minutes didn't mean a thing to me.

Quoting AAflyguy (Reply 30):
ATL's Conc D isn't narrow due to the Airport's choosing, it's narrow because it is what was decided by the airlines which were going to be housed there. They didn't want to spend the extra money for a concourse with a corridor the width of those in A/B/C, as D was primarily going to serve smaller aircraft and largely O&D vs connect traffic. So, what you see is what they were willing to pay for in the 1970's. Shortsighted? I don't necessarily think so, given those airlines were not the hub carriers which would grow the Airport so significantly in the future (namely DL & EA). In the years since, especially post-2000, there has been an incredible amount of focus on improving the entire Midfield Terminal facility, including Conc D. Several nodes in the south half which weren't built out now house boarding gates (silver grey vs reddish orange exterior skin). Lighting, flooring, wall coverings and column wraps were replaced. Navigational and gate signage was updated as part of a terminal-wide initiative. Automatic trash receptacles were added. Restrooms were completely refurbished. And, the concessions have largely been overhauled and expanded, most recently with the completion of the D Centerpoint vertical addition which includes more escalators and elevators to/from the Transportation Mall. It may not be as spacious as A/B/C, but it is better now than it has ever been, in my opinion.

There's not much more than can be done with D and it should be interesting to see what happened over there once WN fully integrates FL into the airline and consolidates operations on C. Same with whatever happens in regards to the US/AA merger and also if UA will ever consolidate their operations onto one concourse. The renovations and expansion at the center point of C are long needed as well (although I'm still getting used to seeing jetways on the northern side of C after them being removed for so many years).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos