Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cosyr

RE: Delta To Resume Hot Meals In Coach?

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:26 am

No airline is going to resume complimentary domestic meals in coach, for the same reason Continental finally got rid of them after dragging their feet. Despite being the only airline that still had them at the end, Every person I told about free meals on CO was shocked to hear it. They liked what I was saying, but since they didn't know, they could not factor that into their purchasing decision. It did not drive more business to CO, and certainly did not command a premium fare over the competition. Differentiation that costs money is only profitable if it drives sales.

Now I still am personally motivated by United, because while their food is not that different from other airlines, offering hot options actually makes the price somewhat reasonable. If Delta wants to increase BOB food sales, they should put some appetizing hot options on the menu. Then I'll pull out my wallet.

laca773

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:47 am

Quoting Carfield (Reply 11):
As of this point, Delta should first consider bring back beverages on flights LAX to LAS in economy - at least an express service with bottled waters or juices. It is a short flight but Las Vegas is really hot in the summer and that's the one flight that I actually mind Delta skipping beverages in Y. Then it may want to relaunch complimentary meal services on flights to and from Hawaii/Alaska especially from ATL, DTW, MSP and SLC, and other international services to Central America and the Caribbean.

Then maybe enhancing the domestic first class meal services - those one tray meals are really too small and inappropriate for anything longer than three hours. Then we can start talking about economy free meals again.

This is very true, Carfield. I'm still shocked UA's EWR/ORD/IAH-HNL flights have only very basic smallish BOB available, AA isn't any better and DL now has a specialized BOB for ATL-Hawaii.
It would be appropriate to bring back full catering in Y on transcons, Hawaii, Mexico, Central America, and work their way up to typical 2-4 hour transit hub flights.

Quoting cosyr (Reply 50):
Now I still am personally motivated by United, because while their food is not that different from other airlines, offering hot options actually makes the price somewhat reasonable. If Delta wants to increase BOB food sales, they should put some appetizing hot options on the menu. Then I'll pull out my wallet.

This should be the point to all BOB menus, weather it be hot or cold. When UA offered salads that were designed by Trader Vic's, it was definitely worth the cost, but now things are so basic, it's like they are charging you for what they used to offer in a Sky Deli box or bag.

RWA380

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:23 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 45):
Why do you seem to always pick on DL for doing exactly the same thing that the rest of the legacies are doing?

I don't know why it seems that way to you.You obviously have me mistaken with someone else. I'm sure you didn't mean to accuse me of something with such an all encompassing statement.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

goboeing

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:55 am

Quoting DariusBieber (Reply 29):
DTW-IAH aren't mainline flights. Plus, they're under 2 hours, 30 mins.

I operated DTW-IAH a few weeks ago and we blocked 3:37. I don't know what you're talking about with 2:30, DTW-IAH is always over 2:30 block and usually over 2:30 in the air every time too. Anyway...

You've basically shown what I am talking about here.

Who cares if it's a mainline flight or not? I know the criteria for meal flights, and that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the customer perspective. If you are competing against flights that offer hot meals all the way then it would behoove the airline to offer the same themselves, rather than forcing someone to run to Taco Bell on their 30 minute connection, and have their burrito cost them checking their bag and waiting for it for 20 minutes at their destination. That is not the hallmark of a desirable journey.

By the way...I had the flight attendants head up steak that I brought from home in the oven...there was exactly one hot meal on board.  

jeffry747

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:06 am

Just my two cents, but I flew Delta SEA-KIX in August. We were treated like kings in coach. Hot meal, hot breakfast two hours before landing, wet towelettes, blanket and a pillow. And the drink/snack cart came up the aisle 7 times during the whole 10 1/2 hour flight. All complimentary! I for one didn't have any complaints. Same treatment on the way back. I had been flying domestically all my life and this was my first international trip. I had not had a meal on a plane since I flew Pan Am IAH-JFK way back in mid 1991. My longest flight until August had been IAD-SFO on a UA A319. Never doing that again. We only had one drink service on that flight, and that A319 was cramped as hell. I knew I was getting a meal on my Japan flight, but I was blown away by the amount of service on that flight. It made my already exciting Japan vacation even better.

On the flip side, a friend of mine flew DL LAX-HNL and she complained that she didn't even get a snack service on her flight. Kinda makes me think DL saves all the good stuff for int'l TPAC flights.

By the way, I heard DL has discontinued their daily SEA-KIX 763. Is this true? This was the flight I was on, and I would love to do it again.
C'mon Big B, FLY!

26point2

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:37 am

Are the new narrow/low pitch seats even suitable for eating a knife and fork meal from? I'm not certain there's enough elbow room to make this work any more.

PHX787

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:23 pm

What kind of meals would we be talking about? The pre-prepared stuff we see in Coach on international flights?

As much as people complain about airline food, I absolutely love it
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

DTWPurserBoy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:34 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 34):
I agree. I think they could offer this as a check-in option, and they can use special insulated carts. Then no oven is needed. But what happens when they have to turn out an outstation without catering?

Purchasing special insulated carts would be expensive and then having them at the correct stations at the right time for specific flights would be a non-starter. Meals stayed plenty hot on the regular carts because we loaded and served them immediately. We could feed an entire 747 economy cabin within about 30 minutes and our galley people kept the hot meals coming out of the oven as we needed them. On international flights meals are still served but if they resumed full domestic YC meals services they would have to increase flight attendant staffing on the flights and that is a lot of money.

Offering this at check-in is a non starter. Logistically it would be impossible especially at stations where only beverages and ice are boarded. It takes about 24 hours to order, prepare and have a hot meal ready for a specific flight. Airlines stopped padding the meals counts back in the 80's--now if there are 229 YC passengers boarded there are 229 meals and stray setups boarded. Unless we get a refusal or a last minute no show there are no leftovers.

Quoting chepos (Reply 35):
Passengers would them bitch and moan about the quality of the meal, as I recall back when meals in Y were the norm many complained about it.

This made me laugh. I would always hear (back in the day) "I would rather eat NOTHING than eat this _____ (insert your favorite noun). Be careful what you wish for. Once in a while the airlines actually listens to you. And even when they whined about the meals I still picked up mostly clean plates. They ate everything but the cutlery.

The ancillary profit from offering services on an "as needed" basis is astronomical and is not going away anytime soon. Even WN is rumored to be starting checked baggage charges.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

dlflynhayn

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:44 pm

Quoting jeffry747 (Reply 54):
On the flip side, a friend of mine flew DL LAX-HNL and she complained that she didn't even get a snack service on her flight. Kinda makes me think DL saves all the good stuff for int'l TPAC flights.

She must have been sleeping cause it happens actually twice during the flight...

einsteinboricua

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Quoting kric777 (Reply 46):
I routinely go 5-7 hours on the ground in my daily life with nothing more than "grazing" on some snacks.

So...just because you can go like that it means all of us also have to go like that? I suffer from low blood sugar and sometimes with the tight connections I can't buy a meal from a concession stand in the airport. A hot meal would be a welcomed sight if I'm to board and fly in a tin can for over 3.5 hours. I can't expect to survive on Biscoff cookies and peanuts alone.

Sure, BOB. Unfortunately, today's selections are hardly good. I don't eat cheese or mayonnaise and many sandwiches served (IF served) already contain these. Other selections do not constitute a meal and are usually limited.

Quoting AirAfreak (Reply 41):
SERIOUSLY???!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one ugly cycle. Look at all of the "Negative Nancy's" complaining about lack of amenities and how flying has changed. DELTA is bringing back those amenities and MAYBE free hot meals in Coach. I mean can only the few of us a.net members see the light at the end of the tunnel?? Happy days are here! Wooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!

I have an answer to anyone whom is complaining: CHARTER YOUR OWN JET.

Preach!   
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

propilotjw

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Quoting American 767 (Reply 15):
On their E-jets I don't think they do, because are not designed for long haul flights. But on the A320, maybe they have. Don't they have to have on their A320s electrical appliances at least to serve hot tea and hot coffee on long flights over 4 hours?

JetBlue does not have ovens on the E190 and A320. The hot coffee comes from the coffee pots and hot water for the tea comes from the hot water spigot.

us330

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:57 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 57):
Even WN is rumored to be starting checked baggage charges.

I read the interview with the CEO--all he said was that he wouldn't rule it out (as in "never say never")

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 57):
The ancillary profit from offering services on an "as needed" basis is astronomical and is not going away anytime soon.

It's also not taxed, which is why the airlines love it so much.

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:06 pm

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 53):

I'm sure you know what you're talking about as you did operate the flight, but I just did a dummy booking for later this weel and DTW-IAH flights are blocked for anywhere between 2:58 and 3:20, based on which type of aircraft it was.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

mayor

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 61):

Of course it's taxed........as part of corporate income, it becomes taxed by the gov't.

I read the interview with the CEO--all he said was that he wouldn't rule it out (as in "never say never")

That's a far cry from their previous stance on the matter.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

cosyr

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 59):
I don't eat cheese or mayonnaise and many sandwiches served (IF served) already contain these.

This is what I've been saying all summer. United ditched the Cheeseburger for a Roast Beef Sandwich ( I assume, because they've gotten complaints about inconsistency between the menus on sCO vs sUA aircraft with or without the oven, so they made something they figured could be sold hot or cold. Personally, I would just put an oven back on the sUA planes) but they serve it with horseradish sauce already on it! I'm a picky eater, so that's outrageous, but even if you're not, if you just don't want horseradish, you're out of luck. Why not just serve it on the side?! That's what they did with the Ketchup and Mustard for the cheeseburger.

Also, why do you have to be on a 3.5 hour flight to have the option of buying real food, instead of an assortment of goldfish and cheese and crackers? They serve the food in the first 45 minutes and clean it up in the next 30. Their assumption is that not enough people will buy the designated number of hot sandwiches they heat up on a short flight. But why do they heat up any that people don't want? Just do it like Ryanair/Easyjet/Jetstar...Amtrak,etc. When someone orders something hot, have one flight attendant work the galley, heating up requested items and running other food selections back and forth to the flight attendants serving drinks and taking orders. Not a thing wasted, and a menu twice the size.

mayor

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Quoting cosyr (Reply 64):

Also, why do you have to be on a 3.5 hour flight to have the option of buying real food, instead of an assortment of goldfish and cheese and crackers?

Well, I recently flew on a DL (this is a thread about DL, right? Difficult to tell.) flight, DEN-ATL and the BOB menu was available.......sandwiches, mostly, in addition to the usual snacks.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

DAL763ER

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:45 pm

Why do people really want food to be served on the plane on domestic flights? Flying Y within the US is so much more comfortable than in Europe. You get on the plane, you can mind your own business without having to smell hot food being cooked or having the FA disturb you every 10 minutes or blocking the aisle if you need to go to the bathroom.

If you want food, surely the food available in airport restaurants is better than anything any airline could serve. Besides, eating on a plane can get very messy if you're not careful. Or the person next to you might spill their drink on you as someone did to me on a LGW-BGI flight.

kgaiflyer

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:49 pm

This is what I've been saying all summer. United ditched the Cheeseburger for a Roast Beef Sandwich ( I assume, because they've gotten complaints about inconsistency between the menus on sCO vs sUA aircraft with or without the oven, so they made something they figured could be sold hot or cold. Personally, I would just put an oven back on the sUA planes) but they serve it with horseradish sauce already on it!

Well . . . you want VX's cold roast beef sandwich with horseradish sauce on an Italian roll for $9 in the back.

Good, as BoB food goes.

srbmod

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:11 pm

Quoting panamair (Reply 10):
Actually, they do provide some hot food in First on certain flights under 1,500 miles during meal times these days Last week, my morning JFK-MCO flight (950 miles) had a choice between cereal and a hot turkey, egg, and cheese sandwich.
My MIA-JFK (1090 miles) lunch flight a few days ago had a warm turkey sandwich as the second option. An LGA-MIA breakfast flight a few months ago had a warm breakfast burrito as a choice as well. Ovens have been restored in the First galley on the MD88s for example.
Quoting Carfield (Reply 11):
But if Delta is thinking about bring back complimentary meals in Y, I have a feeling that it is targeting the premium transcontinental market and I won't be surprised that it will bring free meals on the premium transcon between LAX/SFO/SEA and JFK, as JetBlue will step up its game on the transcontinental market in June 2014. The self-service beverage and snack bar is really cool on JetBlue's new A321s. Unlike JetBlue, Delta will not sacrifice seats to make room for this kind of stuff for economy passengers but really needs a new gimmick to protect its premium transcontinental market, even in economy. It will be interesting to see what American and United will react, and to me, Virgin America perhaps really needs to bring some new amenities or else I can see people flocking to Jetblue's Mint and economy. VX's economy is actually pretty tightly pitched, and its first class cabin is now really expensive. They even block discounted first class and Main cabin select seats during holidays now. So Virgin America really needs to step up its game.

JFK and LGA get more enhanced service and amenities that ATL and other hubs. I fly ATL-LAS-ATL a few times a year and would love to have at the very least a hot EATS option or even something like the DineUp program they've rolled out on the JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA flights. When I was flying back from LAS last Monday, HA's flight to HNL was going out of a neighboring gate and they were offering hot meals for sale that you bought at the gate. At the very least, make a hot meal one of the amenities of Economy Comfort on flights of a certain length (pretty much any flight in which First/Business gets a hot meal).

Quoting questions (Reply 33):
Delta served BOB cheeseburgers on JFK-SFO last week.

JFK-SFO is one of their transcontinental routes that gets a higher level of service and amenities over the standard domestic product. The hamburgers are a recent upgrade to services and amenities on those routes.

Quoting mayor (Reply 47):
After looking at the BOB menu on board a DEN-ATL flight last week, what you buy AT the airport doesn't seem any more expensive than what is on the menu.

So very true. When I was waiting for my flight back to ATL last Monday, I grabbed breakfast at LAS and for a breakfast sandwich and a drink it was something like $8.50. My flight was during the breakfast hours on the EATS menu and the sandwich they had on offer was $6.50 and was much bigger than the sandwich I had at the airport. Some airports are notoriously expensive to eat at, while others try to keep prices in line with what similar locations charge outside of the airport.

nutsaboutplanes

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:47 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 39):
In Y?

The closest to a hot meal in domestic coach on NW was a square of pizza served with a small lettuce salad I had on a DTW-FLL 727 once.

They actually had a pretty standard meal service up until mid 2002 or so. It was the the entre, salad, hot dinner role and some type of sweet treat. They did away with the plastic trays as a cost cutting measure and went with football sized paper plates but that was relatively short lived as the meal services were quickly reduced again. They implemented an a la carte breakfast as well with a hot breakfast sandwich, warm bagel and strawberry yogurt in Y which was actually not that bad.

These full meals were primarily on DTW/MSP to SEA, PDX, LAX and SFO

The DTW and MSP services to Florida during the time that you are talking about had a pretty descent salad, pizza and or corky's bbq.

I always thought that NW's domestic F food service was actually pretty good. They did a particularly nice job with the wine and desert selections.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

AWACSooner

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:50 pm

If DL re-introduced this and offered a decent fare that was marginal to the costs of putting the meal on the plane, I'd definitely fly them over UA and AA.

laca773

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:12 pm

This is what I've been saying all summer. United ditched the Cheeseburger for a Roast Beef Sandwich ( I assume, because they've gotten complaints about inconsistency between the menus on sCO vs sUA aircraft with or without the oven, so they made something they figured could be sold hot or cold. Personally, I would just put an oven back on the sUA planes) but they serve it with horseradish sauce already on it! I'm a picky eater, so that's outrageous, but even if you're not, if you just don't want horseradish, you're out of luck. Why not just serve it on the side?! That's what they did with the Ketchup and Mustard for the cheeseburger.

Also, why do you have to be on a 3.5 hour flight to have the option of buying real food, instead of an assortment of goldfish and cheese and crackers? They serve the food in the first 45 minutes and clean it up in the next 30. Their assumption is that not enough people will buy the designated number of hot sandwiches they heat up on a short flight. But why do they heat up any that people don't want? Just do it like Ryanair/Easyjet/Jetstar...Amtrak,etc. When someone orders something hot, have one flight attendant work the galley, heating up requested items and running other food selections back and forth to the flight attendants serving drinks and taking orders. Not a thing wasted, and a menu twice the size.

Those burgers CO served in Y were very good. They should have kept them around, and placed ovens on UA aircraft so they could have served them. Leave a good thing alone.

cosyr, you hit it on the money. It's an efficient way to do things i.e., Jetstar, EasyJet, etc.. That's asking for a lot from people who don't care to do much of anything.

laca773

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Quoting nutsaboutplanes (Reply 69):
I always thought that NW's domestic F food service was actually pretty good. They did a particularly nice job with the wine and desert selections.

Actually, NW had better F catering than DL did after all the cutbacks. They even had a decent cold pasta salad they served at lunch, and offered warm meals in F on their CR7/CR9 a/c.

DTWPurserBoy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Quoting laca773 (Reply 72):
Quoting nutsaboutplanes (Reply 69):I always thought that NW's domestic F food service was actually pretty good. They did a particularly nice job with the wine and desert selections.

When NW operated their own flight kitchens the food in both FC and YC domestically was really good. But, like every other US airline, it was cheaper to contract catering out so they shut down with exception of NRT (and that may actually be a contracted but just operates out of the former NW (now DL) flight kitchen. I miss the cheese omelets for breakfast and the lasagna. Today, if you are flying from Japan to the US in YC, order the yakisoba for the before landing meal--it is really outstanding. For those that might not know recognize it, yakisoba is a form of stir-fried noodle served with thinly sliced ginger on the side that has been pickled in beet juice that makes it pink. Usually it is made with either pork or beef so if you have a special dietary need be sure to preorder what you want or ask the flight attendant what is in the meal.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

Viscount724

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:02 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 63):

Of course it's taxed........as part of corporate income, it becomes taxed by the gov't.

Yes, if the airline is profitable, but it's not subject to the 7.5% ticket tax which the passenger pays. I expect that's what the poster is referring to. That's also why fuel surcharges etc. still exist in many cases since only the "fare" is subject to the 7.5% U.S. tax as far as I know.

Indy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:38 pm

Quoting xjramper (Reply 49):

I'm flying IND-DTW-MCO-ATL-IND Dec 22-24. I'm curious what i will get served on the DTW-MCO flight. Lunch is being served but I selected a diabetic meal. I am not diabetic but I wanted something with low carbs. I figure that should do the trick. Their burgers were decent. I had a salad before with some slices of beef that were about as tough as beef jerky. Seems hit or miss.

But as for the catering in coach... I think they should bring it back. It is time someone starts to set the bar higher instead of seeing how low it can go. I think if you go out of your way to provide better service people won't be so quick to jump ship to save a few bucks. Yeah there are some really cheap people out there but that isn't exactly the customer you want to focus your attention on. Bring back the meal service and see how it goes. It isn't like the service gets offered on every flight so the cost won't be horribly high. Test it out in some markets and see how the response is.
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

questions

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:00 am

One positive aspect of US airlines not serving meals in Y is that the food offerings in a lot of airports is much better. Most of the time when flying Y, I prefer to eat pre flight or grab something to go in the terminal post flight. I think a lot of people have forgotten about the quality of the vast majority of coach meals and are romanticizing the "Golden Age" of air travel.

Viscount724

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:02 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 75):
But as for the catering in coach... I think they should bring it back. It is time someone starts to set the bar higher instead of seeing how low it can go. I think if you go out of your way to provide better service people won't be so quick to jump ship to save a few bucks. Yeah there are some really cheap people out there but that isn't exactly the customer you want to focus your attention on. Bring back the meal service and see how it goes. It isn't like the service gets offered on every flight so the cost won't be horribly high. Test it out in some markets and see how the response is.

If DL was to reinstate free meals in Y class do you really think AA and UA would sit back and ignore them? Not a chance. Before long they would all be doing the same thing and there would be no competitive advantage. It would just be a needless expense with no benefits.

Reminds me when CP introduced free alcoholic drinks in Y class on all their domestic routes in the late 1980s or so. AC almost immediately matched on routes where they competed with CP. Wasn't long before they both came to their senses and reverted to charging for drinks in Y since nobody was gaining a competitive advantage.

777ord

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 8):

When you go to McDonalds, for example, do you expect to get a free soda just because their corporation makes tons of money? Or, how about a protective case from Apple because you already bought the phone?

The astronomic costs associated with refitting the aircraft to fit the ovens for the meals and then actually execute would be insane. One thing they could do is provide small sandwhiches. But a proper meal-no.

Don't expect it to happen. But, if it does. I'll be very happy to see it. But we all know people will complain about air travel just because they can.  

GSPSPOT

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:39 am

Please remember that MANY economy pax don't have time to grab anything before a long flight so this (if it's actually true) would be a true value-added item to make DL, or whoever does this first, much more competitive in the market.
Great Lakes, great life.

airtechy

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:56 am

I can picture a change to the Delta booking site where after the seat selection page it vectors you to a food selection page with pics of the meal offerings and a box to tic for selection. You heard it first here!   

Jim

baw716

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:59 am

OK..I think we are talking about two things here:

Hot meals in coach and....FREE hot meals in coach.

I think it possible for DL to do hot meals in coach on certain flights (those which can support heated carts). AS currently does hot entrees for purchase (on a good number of their longer flights and ALL Hawaii services), HA's fleet are all setup for international operations, so they all have ovens (hence the ability to offer meals on a large scale..and yes, they get a competitive advantage because of their offerings in Economy from the Mainland to Hawaii).

It is my view that the entire domestic market will move back in this direction; however, it will be on the longer flights only; those in which the aircraft can support them. They will NOT, however, be free.

Domestic airlines have been losing money to airport vendors for awhile now, since most often, if you are going to pay $8-9 for a sandwich (which is what you pay these days on an airplane), you get a wider variety of stuff from an airport vendor for the same $8-9. My sense is that they are moving toward hot meals to get passengers to buy these offerings onboard.

It's going to be tough slogging though...since hot entrees either have to be boarded frozen or already hot and kept in a warmer. The longer the food goes from cooking to eating...especially if it gets re-heated...we all know about that, don't we...It sucked when it was free. Will anyone pay $8-10 for that?

I'll continue to buy my fruit and cheese tray from AS, as this is the best offering going for what is being charged. Most elsewhere...I'll pick and choose.

One (very) frequent flyer's opinion.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

cosyr

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:29 am

Quoting 777ord (Reply 78):
When you go to McDonalds, for example, do you expect to get a free soda just because their corporation makes tons of money?

No, but McDonalds is a food business. I work at a bank, and we have free tea or coffee for customers. Not only that, we are in a shopping center with restaurants and a coffee shop. If we didn't offer that coffee, customers could go outside and buy a cup somewhere. On a plane, you can't, if they don't offer it on the flight, you can't get anything.

A free drink is a nice touch for a grateful business to offer. Not too mention that there are still a lot of people still get nervous flying and a drink (and in the past food) is a great way to calm them.

United Airline

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:54 am

Almost every major airlines in Asia, Europe, Australia offer free meal/alcohol in economy, even for domestic/short haul flights. QF, CX, SQ, MH, TG, BA, LH etc. Only US and Canadian Airlines are that cheap/lousy not to offer.

So even if DL brings back free hot meal it's nothing to write home about. I would be very surprised if I don't get one on QF or CX or SQ or BA.

[Edited 2013-10-27 20:03:38]

MesaFlyGuy

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:03 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 83):
Almost every major airlines in Asia, Europe, Australia offer free meal/alcohol in economy, even for domestic/short haul flights. QF, CX, SQ, MH, TG, BA, LH etc. Only US and Canadian Airlines are that cheap/lousy not to offer.

So even if DL brings back free hot meal it's nothing to write home about. I would be very surprised if I don't get one on QF or CX or SQ or BA

You also have to look at the markets you mentioned. If there is greater demand for it while maintaining financial viability, the airlines will most likely offer it. Comparing free meals in the US and Canada to those is Asia and Australia is comparing apples to oranges. It would almost be like saying, "Widebodies are flown on shorter flights in Asia, so doing so in America would be nothing to write home about". Just because it's viable in one place doesn't mean it's viable everywhere, you know? I'm not trying to sound condescending, I'm just pointing that out.  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

mayor

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:13 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 74):

Yes, if the airline is profitable, but it's not subject to the 7.5% ticket tax which the passenger pays.

Even IF it was subject to the ticket tax, the airlines would just pass it on to the customer.........they always do.

lightsaber

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:32 am

Quoting awacsooner (Reply 70):

If DL re-introduced this and offered a decent fare that was marginal to the costs of putting the meal on the plane, I'd definitely fly them over UA and AA.

The issue is most people would look at the fare premium and book another airline.

With corporate passengers, they would have to trade their meal credit (part of their per-diem) if they take a flight with an onboard meal. Some of my coworkers specifically avoid such flights as they would rather buy food on their own.

It needs to be optional.

Quoting baw716 (Reply 81):
OK..I think we are talking about two things here:

Hot meals in coach and....FREE hot meals in coach.

Agreed. There are times I would pay for a hot meal and would be ok with a $12 to $15 charge. This won't be free.

Quoting cosyr (Reply 82):
No, but McDonalds is a food business.

And airlines are now in a 'fee business.' Free meals aren't expected and would be an add on to avoid the 7.5% tax.
The space lost to ovens and their weight would add 10% to 15% to the fare. Who values a meal that much? I could see this as a paid option, but only if DL has ovens on enough of their fleet. (Do they?)

Quoting 777ord (Reply 78):
The astronomic costs associated with refitting the aircraft to fit the ovens for the meals and then actually execute would be insane. One thing they could do is provide small sandwhiches. But a proper meal-no.

Most likely. Those ovens are heavy! It costs $500 to lug around a kilogram of dead weight on a plane for a decade. So if they haven't been removed, I would ask why? I like the option of buying a hot meal on a plane, but I doubt it will be economical (profitable) for the airline.

Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

United Airline

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:49 am

Wonder if UA and DL will do a lot better if they follow the way SQ and CX are doing and provide free meal/alcohol and top level of service

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 86):
' Free meals aren't expected and would be an add on to avoid the 7.5% tax.

That's only for North America.

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 86):
Agreed. There are times I would pay for a hot meal and would be ok with a $12 to $15 charge. This won't be free.

Buy onboard meals are usually nicer than the free ones we had.

Indy

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 77):
If DL was to reinstate free meals in Y class do you really think AA and UA would sit back and ignore them? Not a chance. Before long they would all be doing the same thing and there would be no competitive advantage. It would just be a needless expense with no benefits.

I understand your reasoning but let me as this. Why did it work well for decades? Airlines could providing free drinks and peanuts. There is no competitive advantage there either. With so little competition left in the U.S. it would be easy for the few remaining carriers to just gut all in flight service. I do believe there would be a competitive advantage. Especially to the airline that offers it first. It is a great PR move. It makes you look like the better airline. Even if another airline starts offering a first bag checked for free WN still wins. They were the one that did the right thing while everyone else gutted service. Be the first to offer meals again and everyone else will be the ones who started it because they had to. First one in wins the PR race.

tlecam

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:38 pm

It would be nice to see a bit meal option return to Y, I think.

Quoting Indy (Reply 88):
I understand your reasoning but let me as this. Why did it work well for decades? Airlines could providing free drinks and peanuts. There is no competitive advantage there either. With so little competition left in the U.S. it would be easy for the few remaining carriers to just gut all in flight service. I do believe there would be a competitive advantage. Especially to the airline that offers it first. It is a great PR move. It makes you look like the better airline. Even if another airline starts offering a first bag checked for free WN still wins. They were the one that did the right thing while everyone else gutted service. Be the first to offer meals again and everyone else will be the ones who started it because they had to. First one in wins the PR race.

I agree with this. Additionally - look at the IFE market here in the states. JetBlue (and then Delta for the legacies) paved the way for adding personal TV's. I know that on Delta mainline metal, the chances are pretty good that my seat in Y will hae IFE. On JetBlue, I know that they will.

SWA and United are both taking the approach of adding Wifi - United may even remove IFE from some planes and improve the Wifi capabilities.

All of these are part of their differentiated products.

Maybe United (or AA or whomever) will opt to focus on improving their buy on board food options? Or maybe the legacies will view the addition of hot meals (whether free or paid) as a way to differentiate themselves from LCC.

There are a lot of product strategies that could play out.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

seatback

Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Quoting srbmod (Reply 68):
At the very least, make a hot meal one of the amenities of Economy Comfort on flights of a certain length (pretty much any flight in which First/Business gets a hot meal).

This was my thought. Offering a free meal in Y+ might encourage people to purchase Economy Comfort. At the very least. Economy Comfort could offer the boxed snacks for free.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 77):
If DL was to reinstate free meals in Y class do you really think AA and UA would sit back and ignore them? Not a chance.

They haven't done anything about offering any kind of snack in coach. I seriously don't think they would match. I don't know this as fact, but I don't think people choose an airline/flight because of a free meal.

What Delta can or should do:
1. Upgrade first class meals (i.e. 86 the Cheerios in first!!)
2. Stop offering the snack basket in first. Offer the economy snack boxes instead.
3. Provide meals to Economy Comfort pax.
4. Provide free snack boxes to Economy Comfort and first (on flights with no meals.)

Indy

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Quoting seatback (Reply 90):
What Delta can or should do:
1. Upgrade first class meals (i.e. 86 the Cheerios in first!!)
2. Stop offering the snack basket in first. Offer the economy snack boxes instead.
3. Provide meals to Economy Comfort pax.
4. Provide free snack boxes to Economy Comfort and first (on flights with no meals.)

This is a good plan. I remember having Cheerios on a morning flight from MCO to MSP and I was like what the heck. And the basket... I used to like Sun Chips but now I am sick of seeing them  

rwy04lga

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 87):
Wonder if UA and DL will do a lot better if they follow the way SQ and CX are doing and provide free meal/alcohol and top level of service

SQ and CX are city-state airlines that don't have domestic service and have no 'home-grown' competition. Delta and United have both domestic and international competition. Also, what do you mean by saying 'lot better'? Delta made a $1.37B profit this past quarter, how well did SQ or CX do?
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

United Airline

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:45 am

True. But European airlines like BA, LH, AF etc offer free alcohol/meal even within Europe or on domestic flights. QF offers free meal/alcohol within Australia too.

I believe SQ and CX performed better than US airlines over the past 10-20 years. SQ has never posted a loss. None of the major European/Asian airlines have been in chapter 11 and SQ/CX have consistently posted good profits and have been the world's most profitable airlines for many years. I suppose CX/SQ are still in better financial strenghs?

Lufthansa Group is nothing smaller than any US Airlines but still they offer free alcohol/food.

Perhaps these airlines are simply more generous?

My 2 cents

[Edited 2013-10-28 23:14:51]

mayor

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Quoting United Airline (Reply 93):
None of the major European/Asian airlines have been in chapter 11

How soon we forget about Sabena and Swissair.....these were major airlines at the time of their demise.

AADC10

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 8):
If any carrier were to resume free hot meals in Coach, it would be DL, IMHO.

Why would that be the case? CO was the last domestic carrier to have free hot meals. UA p.s. had free meals in coach when it started but a lot of things went off the rails on p.s. since then.

Quoting HNL (Reply 3):
Did DL remove ovens from the coach galley on single aisle aircraft?
United ditched the Cheeseburger for a Roast Beef Sandwich ( I assume, because they've gotten complaints about inconsistency between the menus on sCO vs sUA aircraft with or without the oven, so they made something they figured could be sold hot or cold. Personally, I would just put an oven back on the sUA planes) but they serve it with horseradish sauce already on it!

Ovens could be reinstalled, unless some seats were placed in space taken from the galley. UA is allegedly reinstalling ovens in the ex-Ted A320s and other narrowbodies, so they can have a consistent hot BOB.

I suspect that there may be some improved BOB hot meal offering on DL. You can get a cold sandwich at the airport or make it at home but you cannot get a hot meal on the plane unless you buy it from the airline.

United Airline

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 94):

How soon we forget about Sabena and Swissair.....these were major airlines at the time of their demise.

Oh yes but they were smaller than the real majors in Europe. And I think European/Asian airlines are richer than airlines in North America and are in better financial state. Guess CX/SQ are richer than airlines like DL?

redtailsforever

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:13 am

I think the last hot domestic meal I had on Delta, were chicken wings on a ATL-MSP flight in 1995.

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 28):

I wonder if they would try to enforce a 3.5 hr +flight rule, since the MD90 is used so much from MSP to CA & FL Wouldn't they have to put the rear galley back into the 90 fleet, that they just removed?

Polot

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:45 am

Quoting United Airline (Reply 96):
And I think European/Asian airlines are richer than airlines in North America and are in better financial state. Guess CX/SQ are richer than airlines like DL?

For Asia at least, not really. CX/SQ do excellent yes, but they aren't the only two airlines in Asia. TG/MH and others have consistently been basket cases that need constant support from their respective governments, JL went bankrupt and had to restructure after years of losses. OF throws half their passengers on JetStar where they don't get free food.

European airlines have had their problems too. AZ, SK and IB have all struggled in recent years. AF has been losing a lot money and basically all the European majors have been cutting back service on their intra-European flights for years.

WesternA318

Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:41 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 98):
European airlines have had their problems too. AZ, SK and IB have all struggled in recent years. AF has been losing a lot money and basically all the European majors have been cutting back service on their intra-European flights for years.

That would explain why my flight last year on AF from ATH to CDG was more like a god-awful Southwest flight than a premier International carrier.

Back to the stateside issue,

In my opinion, I think once the US/AA merger is done, and the industry consolidation finishes off this round of knockouts, we will see the likes of AA and DL resume pre-1978 service levels to some extent or another, such as free hot meals in Y, and other such little extras. Who knows maybe they'll bring back free checked bags for the non-elite peons out there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos