Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JoePatroni707
Topic Author

Delta To Resume Hot Meals In Coach?

Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:40 pm

I was talking to a DL employee the other day and she told me that Delta is planning on resuming complimentary hot meals in coach on flights over 3.5 hours? Had not seen that anywhere else. Any truth?

American 767

RE: Delta To Resume Hot Meals In Coach?

Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:48 pm

That would be nice. If that happens, then American, United and JetBlue will consider following. American would do so only when they get out of Chapter 11.
Ben Soriano

FlyingFan18

Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:58 pm

No way. I don’t see it happening. As much as it would be nice, the coast factor alone would stop it from happening. I can possibly see the option of us selecting a hot meal 24-48 hours before departure for a fee.

HNL

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Did DL remove ovens from the coach galley on single aisle aircraft?
HNL - There's no place like it!

MAH4546

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:01 pm

I don't think so.

A reminder that this is the same airline that for some ridiculous reason thinks flights under 1,500 (~3.25 hours) miles shouldn't have a hot meal in first.
a.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Quoting JoePatroni707 (Thread starter):
I was talking to a DL employee the other day and she told me that Delta is planning on resuming complimentary hot meals in coach on flights over 3.5 hours? Had not seen that anywhere else. Any truth?

It's seriosuly being evaluated.

Quoting FlyingFan18 (Reply 2):
No way. I don’t see it happening. As much as it would be nice, the coast factor alone would stop it from happening. I can possibly see the option of us selecting a hot meal 24-48 hours before departure for a fee.

Not so fast...
What gets measured gets done.

laca773

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:39 pm

I think it would be very nice if DL did bring full catering in Y on their mid/transcons. After all, the majority have to transfer onward and what is available on board isn't much, if you're lucky to get something as it is. By the time they reach the back of the a/c, a lot of times, they have run out from what I understand.
DL did have some of the best catering in Y before all the cutbacks next to AS and Midwest.

The premium BOB meals they offer on their transcons are quite nice. It would be nice if they offered something warm, that's also appealing.

At the same time, DL does need to work on the catering in domestic F. It's definitely not the best. All the legacies basically cater F with meals that used to be served in Y before they were discontinued post 9/11.
AA does do a better job in the catering department minus their JFK-LAX meals. For what is charged in that market, they should offer catering that's exclusive to that market like what DL does. DL does a great job in this area.

usflyguy

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Quoting American 767 (Reply 1):
If that happens, then American, United and JetBlue will consider following.

Does JetBlue have ovens on their ac?
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

USAirALB

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:48 pm

If any carrier were to resume free hot meals in Coach, it would be DL, IMHO.

Even today, DL is the only big legacy carrier still offering complementary snacks in Coach. I think it would be a welcome change to see free meals return, and I would be satisfied even if the meals weren't hot. Something like cereal/muffin/yogurt in the morning and sandwich/cookie/side dish at all other times would be very nice to see.

Today, airlines are making a steady profit, and as long as they continue to do so, I don't see why they can't provide free meals. They probably can still make a nice profit while providing meal services in Coach. Maybe they could try something similar to HA, provide a standard complementary meal and also allow passengers to upgrade to a premium meal offering.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

MAH4546

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Quoting laca773 (Reply 6):
All the legacies basically cater F with meals that used to be served in Y before they were discontinued post 9/11.

I can't agree with this. Airlines have substantially reduced meal service windows in premium cabins, sans AA, but the meals are largely what was served a decade ago.

There was a point AA was serving things like chicken tenders, pizza and hamburgers in F on snack coded flights, but that was all eliminated and AA stepped back up it's F menus around ~2010.

Quoting laca773 (Reply 6):
AA does do a better job in the catering department minus their JFK-LAX meals. For what is charged in that market, they should offer catering that's exclusive to that market like what DL does. DL does a great job in this area.
AA does have catering that is exclusive to all trans-con markets. DL limits it to JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA and UA to JFK-LAX/SFO. The lunches need work, though.

[Edited 2013-10-26 13:52:07]
a.

panamair

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 4):
A reminder that this is the same airline that for some ridiculous reason thinks flights under 1,500 (~3.25 hours) miles shouldn't have a hot meal in first.

Actually, they do provide some hot food in First on certain flights under 1,500 miles during meal times these days Last week, my morning JFK-MCO flight (950 miles) had a choice between cereal and a hot turkey, egg, and cheese sandwich.
My MIA-JFK (1090 miles) lunch flight a few days ago had a warm turkey sandwich as the second option. An LGA-MIA breakfast flight a few months ago had a warm breakfast burrito as a choice as well. Ovens have been restored in the First galley on the MD88s for example.

Carfield

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Well most US airlines make profits from all these fees but I have a feeling that food does not really make airlines too much $$$. Most of the revenues possibly come from baggage fee, alcohol purchases, and buy up to economy comfort or seats with more comfort. I am surprised that Delta will even consider that... I don't think it will be a tray style meal like before but maybe sandwich type things...

As of this point, Delta should first consider bring back beverages on flights LAX to LAS in economy - at least an express service with bottled waters or juices. It is a short flight but Las Vegas is really hot in the summer and that's the one flight that I actually mind Delta skipping beverages in Y. Then it may want to relaunch complimentary meal services on flights to and from Hawaii/Alaska especially from ATL, DTW, MSP and SLC, and other international services to Central America and the Caribbean.

Then maybe enhancing the domestic first class meal services - those one tray meals are really too small and inappropriate for anything longer than three hours. Then we can start talking about economy free meals again.

In economy, we already know what to expect so don't need to really do much. It will be nice to be able to buy hot meals though and even if it requires pre-order... a good fresh hot meal is something that I will pre-order. I really like Midwest Express's BOB meals.

But if Delta is thinking about bring back complimentary meals in Y, I have a feeling that it is targeting the premium transcontinental market and I won't be surprised that it will bring free meals on the premium transcon between LAX/SFO/SEA and JFK, as JetBlue will step up its game on the transcontinental market in June 2014. The self-service beverage and snack bar is really cool on JetBlue's new A321s. Unlike JetBlue, Delta will not sacrifice seats to make room for this kind of stuff for economy passengers but really needs a new gimmick to protect its premium transcontinental market, even in economy. It will be interesting to see what American and United will react, and to me, Virgin America perhaps really needs to bring some new amenities or else I can see people flocking to Jetblue's Mint and economy. VX's economy is actually pretty tightly pitched, and its first class cabin is now really expensive. They even block discounted first class and Main cabin select seats during holidays now. So Virgin America really needs to step up its game.

Carfield

crj200faguy

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:16 pm

I'm pretty sure hot meals are gonna be if you sit on your pack of peanuts and then eat them

crosswinds21

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:31 pm

This would be a very silly move in my opinion. DL would not gain any competitive advantage. All that would happen is that the other legacy airlines would match DL and in the end, everyone would be serving meals. So the result would be simply that all airlines would be incurring more costs without any extra revenue to show for it.

The industry is in a period where people have long been used to and have accepted the fact that there are no meals in coach, so there is not reason to change things. Just like it would be bad to start allowing free checked bags (again, because people have accepted this fact and pay for it), it would be just as bad to start serving free meals.

Of course, as a passenger, I would very much welcome this, but from a business standpoint, it makes no sense in my opinion.

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:33 pm

That would be WONDERFUL! Like mentioned above, if one American airline was to do it, it would be DL. With all my flights with them, I'd seriously hope this comes to fruition, but I don't know what valiber on which it would be.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

American 767

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 7):
Does JetBlue have ovens on their ac?

On their E-jets I don't think they do, because are not designed for long haul flights. But on the A320, maybe they have. Don't they have to have on their A320s electrical appliances at least to serve hot tea and hot coffee on long flights over 4 hours?
Ben Soriano

mia305

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:47 pm

It would be nice to have hot meals in coach again before 9/11.
Not to sure about UA US & DL but AA has removed all the ovens
on 737s in coach except on ones that fly to certain markets
to Central & S. America.

RWA380

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Quoting crosswinds21 (Reply 13):
This would be a very silly move in my opinion. DL would not gain any competitive advantage. All that would happen is that the other legacy airlines would match DL and in the end, everyone would be serving meals. So the result would be simply that all airlines would be incurring more costs without any extra revenue to show for it.

HA is serving hot meals in coach for free, they are doing so in a market where none of their competitors do so, (Hawaii to North America) and how often do you read someone on A.net mentioning that fact, when it is applicable? A lot!

I can also affirm that almost every local person we have spoken with, while we have been here in the Islands, knows HA offers those meals and it is often times is one reason they fly with HA (Also the great service by their friendly employees).

It would make a difference, until everyone else does it, then it will be who ever offers the best product. DL is making money maybe they are realizing if they offer better products, and stop nickel and diming all their passengers to death, they may capture more and more loyal fliers as they expand their network all over the country.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

jayunited

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Didn't all U.S. airlines remove the ovens from the coach galleys on their narrow body aircraft back when oil prices started to soar as a way to reduce the overall weight of the aircraft due to the fact that they had stop serving hot meals in coach? If Delta has started to put the ovens back on their narrow body fleet that would serve as a indication that they probably are at some point going to resume hot meal service on flights over 3.5 hours.

It would be nice if this service was restored on all U.S. airlines on flights longer than 3.5 hours but the U.S. aviation industry is just starting to turn the corner and post consistent profits quarter after quarter I think most airlines will probably wait till probably the end of 2014 or beginning of 2015 before considering resuming free hot meals in coach on their longer domestic flights because they don't want their profits to take a hit and airlines are making off their B.O.B. programs. But it would be nice to see some service restored in coach.

nutsaboutplanes

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:59 pm

Quoting jayunited (Reply 18):
Didn't all U.S. airlines remove the ovens from the coach galleys on their narrow body aircraft back when oil prices started to soar as a way to reduce the overall weight of the aircraft

I know that US has done this on the NB fleet with the exception of international 757's. Northwest did so on their NB Airbus fleet as well if memory serves.....
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

justloveplanes

Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 5):

It's seriosuly being evaluated.

This would do possibly do 2 things:

1) Cement the gains in Market share especially among HVF's frequent fliers. Make it a permanent shift.

2) A more fundamental reason might be to increase HVF share globally, and to do that, it has to perhaps match standards among Asian and European carriers, who continue to follow this practice. I.E. compete on global contacts with global companies, especially ones with lots of US business. UA may have the worlds' best route network, but Deltas is just as or almost as good. That can appeal to a lot of foreign based carriers for commercial contracts.

brilondon

Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Oh please no, the last time I had a coach meal on DL it was a horrible tasting meal. There was only one choice and it was a beef concoction that I can only describe as a disgusting mixture of beef and gravy over the worst cooked pasta you ever could imagine. The taste was interesting although the only way it had taste was to procure extra pepper to at least try to counter the salt that was infused into the dish. The only redeeming feature of the meal was the role and the water that they had to keep bringing us. I was not the only one who had trouble eating the meal as most of the meals I observed went uneaten.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

JAAlbert

Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:50 pm

The only thing more offensive than the airline meal was when the airlines stopped serving them.

Still, I don't see meals in economy class as being anything to get excited about. By the time the airlines eliminated complimentary meal service in domestic economy, the meals were pretty pathetic - and the portions so small it hardly made it worth the effort and mess. It took some getting used to, but I actually like the BOB system - I get to choose from a wider selection of foods, the food generally tastes better than those sad economy meals of yore, and the portions are better.

chootie

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:08 am

Quoting brilondon (Reply 21):
the role

I suppose you were meant "roll" . Anyway I would gladly accept more service         
chootie

airplaneboy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:46 am

I don't understand how some airlines have limited or no service on short hauls like LAX-LAS. Southwest provides a full beverage service on all their flights by hand (no carts), and even their cocktails are mixed by the FAs prior to serving. I don't see how a drink service can't be done on short hauls with a cart, which is more efficient?

DTWPurserBoy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:25 am

Quoting HNL (Reply 3):
Did DL remove ovens from the coach galley on single aisle aircraft?

DL removed the ovens on the 757's and A319/320's that do not fly long-hauls. But somewhere, in a warehouse, those ovens sit and can be reinstalled in a matter of hours if DL chooses.

I could see them installing ovens for prepaid hot meals but not to feed the entire economy cabin a complimentary meal. Those days are gone unless there is a severe upheaval in the domestic markets.

This "A La Carte" inflight service is getting very complicated.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:31 am

Would be awesome if true. I would even say anything over 4 hours would be awesome.

goboeing

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:33 am

They have to eventually do this.

If the competition is serving food continuously from DEL-DXB-IAH then if all else is equal, why wouldn't a customer choose that instead of BOM-AMS-DTW-IAH where there is a 3.5 hour flight at the end with nothing but a single bag of peanuts included in the airfare.

MSPNWA

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:43 am

Meals in coach would be a welcome return of service. I would really go for that. It's nothing special, but hot food on a plane is never a bad thing to me.

However, does a 3.5 hour limit mean that no route from MSP to the continental U.S. would offer it? That would be a pretty lame limit then.

Quoting airplaneboy (Reply 24):
I don't understand how some airlines have limited or no service on short hauls like LAX-LAS. Southwest provides a full beverage service on all their flights by hand (no carts), and even their cocktails are mixed by the FAs prior to serving. I don't see how a drink service can't be done on short hauls with a cart, which is more efficient?

It's either a company policy to cut costs, or the FAs are lazy and want it that way. Either way legacy carriers could absolutely have a service on short flights. That's a reason I fly WN when I can.

DariusBieber

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:47 am

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 27):
BOM-AMS-DTW-IAH where there is a 3.5 hour flight at the end with nothing but a single bag of peanuts included in the airfare.

DTW-IAH aren't mainline flights. Plus, they're under 2 hours, 30 mins.
Aerospace Engineering student

michman

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:54 am

NW maintained meals in coach from their hubs to the West Coast for awhile after dropping meal service on the rest of their domestic flights. Here's an LA Times article that mentions it --

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/aug/29/travel/tr-insider29

As I recall, the definition of West Coast was pretty rigid -- no meals on flights to LAS or PHX.

chrisnh

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:00 am

Two main reasons why airlines are wickedly profitable now, relatively speaking: Bag fees and no meals (or paying for what they do offer). It will be interesting to see who wins this one: customers or shareholders.

hiflyeras

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:02 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 8):
Maybe they could try something similar to HA, provide a standard complementary meal and also allow passengers to upgrade to a premium meal offering.

Always thought this was a nice touch by HA...the free meal is just a hot sandwich or roll...the for-purchase a tray meal like the old days as I understand it. Have to wonder how much money they lose on uneaten meals for purchase though.

Southwest provides a full beverage service on all their flights by hand (no carts), and even their cocktails are mixed by the FAs prior to serving.

I don't know about you but if I'm overpaying for a cocktail then I'd like to see the bottle. What keeps a crew that all knows each other from bringing their own cheap minis on board and pocketing the money? Does WN still accept cash?

questions

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:07 am

Delta served BOB cheeseburgers on JFK-SFO last week.

ikramerica

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:15 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 25):
I could see them installing ovens for prepaid hot meals but not to feed the entire economy cabin a complimentary meal. Those days are gone unless there is a severe upheaval in the domestic markets.

I agree. I think they could offer this as a check-in option, and they can use special insulated carts. Then no oven is needed. But what happens when they have to turn out an outstation without catering?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

chepos

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:56 am

Passengers would them bitch and moan about the quality of the meal, as I recall back when meals in Y were the norm many complained about it.
Fly the Flag!!!!

brilondon

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:07 am

Quoting GoBoeing (Reply 27):
If the competition is serving food continuously from DEL-DXB-IAH then if all else is equal, why wouldn't a customer choose that instead of BOM-AMS-DTW-IAH where there is a 3.5 hour flight at the end with nothing but a single bag of peanuts included in the airfare.

If after flying that itinerary you still feel the need to eat, then I am sure that you could have found sustenance at one of the stops in the airport, where there are plenty of options for a meal.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

tlecam

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:16 am

I don't understand why LAX-LAS isn't doing a beverage service. I regularly fly BOS - LGA/EWR. The flight attendants bust their humps to get everyone a drink. The planes are small on the shuttle flight to LGA but UA runs decent sized planes. The only time th can't make it thought the service is if it's bumpy.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

xjramper

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 34):

I agree. I think they could offer this as a check-in option, and they can use special insulated carts. Then no oven is needed. But what happens when they have to turn out an outstation without catering?

It would need to be ordered more than 24 hours prior to departure and most certainly not at check-in, where a customer could technically check in up to 30 mins prior to departure.

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 25):
This "A La Carte" inflight service is getting very complicated.

Personally I would love to see a VX style ordering system. Takes away the necessity of a food/snack cart as customers could order when they wanted. Even flying paid F/J. I hate the time constraints on the food delivery, especially on DL (or any domestic carriers). There have been many days that I have gotten onto an aircraft with fresh proposals, ideas, and emails in my mind and I have to wait for an additional 2-3 hours (depending on where I am at for taxi/take off/meal service) to complete what it is I am working on. That is something that always confused me when flying paid J. I know the F/As need their naps, because they can get crabby  . But if DL really wants to elevate their on board service, they need to start actually focusing on the customer and not the F/As.

Quoting questions (Reply 33):
Delta served BOB cheeseburgers on JFK-SFO last week.

Probably the single best thing that DL has plated and brought out for the "snack" service on the transcon redeyes from the west coast.

-----------

You lot are severely over thinking this. This is a he/she said that my company is doing x, y, or z" thread. If Delta brings back in flight meals, great. If they don't but provide other options for the passengers, then great. If they maintain their current MO, then great. Something tells me that what Delta is doing and planning is working. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. But I think they know what they are doing.  
Look ma' no hands!

kgaiflyer

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:40 am

Quoting nutsaboutplanes (Reply 19):
Northwest did so on their NB Airbus fleet as well if memory serves.....

In Y?

The closest to a hot meal in domestic coach on NW was a square of pizza served with a small lettuce salad I had on a DTW-FLL 727 once.

Context

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:04 am

I've even had juice/water cups (kindly, and with a smile) practically thrown at me before the FAs had to take their seats on the 30 minute hop between SEA and BLI on Horizon and I thought it was a nice touch. I don't want to sound entitled but a drink service feels like a minimum to me on flights more than an hour.

AirAfreak

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:21 am

Beef stroganoff with carrots, green beans and noodles accompanied by a shrimp cocktail, salad, bread, and BLONDIE BROWNIE!!!!!!!

This was an Economy Class Lunch from Los Angeles to Tokyo/Narita in September 2013. I know this is an international flight, however, this was absolutely delicious and would be a welcome amenity to any Delta domestic flight over 3~ hours. I was very grateful for such a nice and enjoyable meal.

I don't understand why people are complaining:

+ First, Delta or (insert your preferred carrier) serves a complimentary hot meal. (Someone complains about taste)
+ Then, the airline changes to complimentary cold meal. (Someone complains about the lack of a hot meal)
+ Later, the airline changes to complimentary cold light-meal. (Someone complains about the portion)
+ Furthermore, the airline goes to peanuts (biscoff, SunChips, pretzels on DL). (Someone complains about no meal)
+ And then the arrival of Buy-On-Board with limited selection. (Someone complains about paying $$$)
+ Now, there is talk of bringing back complimentary hot meals in Y. (Someone complains about taste/portion, etc.)

SERIOUSLY???!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one ugly cycle. Look at all of the "Negative Nancy's" complaining about lack of amenities and how flying has changed. DELTA is bringing back those amenities and MAYBE free hot meals in Coach. I mean can only the few of us a.net members see the light at the end of the tunnel?? Happy days are here! Wooooohoooooooooooo!!!!!!

I have an answer to anyone whom is complaining: CHARTER YOUR OWN JET.

Have a swell day everyone!!!!! =]

AirAfreak
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:33 am

Quoting tlecam (Reply 37):

I don't understand why LAX-LAS isn't doing a beverage service. I regularly fly BOS - LGA/EWR. The flight attendants bust their humps to get everyone a drink

True you would think they could offer the limited choices. I flew EWR-BOS recently and they offered just oj, water, and coffee and they pulled it offer pretty quickly right after takeoff. LAS-LAX is further than NYC-BOS so you would think they could offer the limited choice quickly to everyone also. Maybe its just so short they want to save the money?

I think the cart takes longer. I always think the WN service of drinks is so fast plus they offer snacks so quickly. The cart certainly allows the FAs to walk less but im not sure its faster IMHO ?

Indy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:30 am

Quoting Mah4546 (Reply 4):

I've flown a number of 4+ hour flights with DL this year and the catering in F was pretty mediocre. There is a great deal of room for improvement there.

Quoting panamair (Reply 10):
Actually, they do provide some hot food in First on certain flights under 1,500 miles during meal times these days Last week, my morning JFK-MCO flight (950 miles) had a choice between cereal and a hot turkey, egg, and cheese sandwich.

I was on a flight from (DTW? Might have been MSP) to MCO and we were served a decent hot soup. I think it was some kind of taco soup. I forget the name. It actually wasn't bad.

The biggest objection I have to some of Delta's meal listings for flights are the premium snacks available for purchase in F. I've seen it listed. Not sure if DL actually follows through with that. I did see the food for purchase menu in a seat back pocket in F on one flight. Just doesn't strike me as a very good move if that is what is going on. I'd love some clarification on that from someone at DL.
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

delta88

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:33 am

I would think on long flights, such as BOS-LAX which i used to travel frequently on my many trips to Hawaii, even a cold small basic meal would definately be better than just a bag of peanuts or just a small plastic cup of Coke. Now Im not saying on those short hauls between BOS-LGA should have big meals, but on longer flights, or flights with Connections that my not have *Any* services, a small meal should be served. Delta Resuming Hot Meals is definately a good start, Airlines seem to be making enough money that meals like this could be feasible on longer flights. As a Passenger used to Long Haul flying, I tend to have food at the airport before hand, but not frequent/first time flyers may not think to do this. Yes other airlines may follow suit, but realisticly, whos gonna choose an airline because Delta offers a meal service on a flight, while united offers more IFE and only a small snack service...Realisticly speaking outside Airliners.net   
B712,B738,B739,B752,B762ER,B763ER,B772ER,MD82,MD83,MD88,MD90,A320,CRJ9,CRJ2,EMJ145,ERJ175

mayor

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:42 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 17):
stop nickel and diming all their passengers to death,

Why do you seem to always pick on DL for doing exactly the same thing that the rest of the legacies are doing?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

KRIC777

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:44 am

I hate to be "That Guy", because he crops up in all of these conversations on A.net, but I'm gonna be:

Don't really understand the big deal about meals (or the lack thereof) on flights in the US within the lower 48...

An 8-9 hour TransPac from LAX-NRT is one thing, but I think I can do BOS-LAX without eating a *meal*. I routinely go 5-7 hours on the ground in my daily life with nothing more than "grazing" on some snacks. Besides, most airports that would host such flights have numerous food options that, BTW, are probably better than what you would get on a plane....not to mention numerous options for purchasing snackage (nuts, pretzels, chips, fruit, etc.) that can be taken aboard. Admittedly, they tend to be a little pricey, and I don't want to sound elitist, but I presume if somebody is flying transcon, they are of at least SOME means, and dropping $10 on lunch may be annoying, but shouldn't break the bank (not to mention that most business travelers can expense this stuff anyway...as a frequent biz traveler, I know I do)

And not to go all T-M-I on y'all, but I PREFER to fly on an empty stomach...keeps me from bogarting the lav an hour later  

Adequate beverages (and I mean to keep hydrated, not to get hammered) are more than sufficient for me.

mayor

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:49 am

Quoting kric777 (Reply 46):
Admittedly, they tend to be a little pricey, and I don't want to sound elitist, but I presume if somebody is flying transcon, they are of at least SOME means, and dropping $10 on lunch may be annoying, but shouldn't break the bank

After looking at the BOB menu on board a DEN-ATL flight last week, what you buy AT the airport doesn't seem any more expensive than what is on the menu.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Indy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:57 am

Quoting kric777 (Reply 46):
An 8-9 hour TransPac from LAX-NRT is one thing, but I think I can do BOS-LAX without eating a *meal*. I routinely go 5-7 hours on the ground in my daily life with nothing more than "grazing" on some snacks. Besides, most airports that would host such flights have numerous food options that, BTW, are probably better than what you would get on a plane....not to mention numerous options for purchasing snackage (nuts, pretzels, chips, fruit, etc.) that can be taken aboard.

I guess it really depends on where you are flying from. I was not impressed with what was available in SAN and what they did have was overly expensive. I don't think there is really anywhere good to eat in ATL. The Chilis there used to be decent but they are gone now. There is another similar restaurant there (TGI Fridays?) that serves horrible food. Stuff obviously cooked well in advance and basically just heated. Bad value. I guess in ATL you just have to know where to stop off real quick to get something good to go. What options do people in MCI really have? Prices in PIT are very reasonable. Can't really say the choices in MCO are all that great either. RDU isn't all that great either. To me MSP was a good place to eat. I thought they had a huge selection of restaurants and food vendors.

Just sharing some random food experiences.
IND to RDU to OKC in 18 months. This is what my life has become.

xjramper

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:08 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 43):
The biggest objection I have to some of Delta's meal listings for flights are the premium snacks available for purchase in F. I've seen it listed. Not sure if DL actually follows through with that. I did see the food for purchase menu in a seat back pocket in F on one flight. Just doesn't strike me as a very good move if that is what is going on. I'd love some clarification on that from someone at DL.

I have been in F on some lengthy transcons as of late, during a non-meal time in F. I always ask for an EATS menu so I can take a gander while sitting in F. On flights that have a meal service and the food doesn't look all that great or I am jonesing for a snack later in the flight, I always ask for the menu and if something strikes me and they have it, they bring it up to me, most times free of charge (even though I'm ready to pay for it).
Look ma' no hands!