Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

doulasc
Topic Author

Downtown Airline Ticket Offices.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:35 am

Thats something you no longer see in this day and age.For example in the lobby of the downtown Sheraton Hotel there would be a airline ticket office for TWA or American,etc. I remember downtown Miami I saw ticket offices for Pan Am,Air Florida,National.In Fort Lauderdale at US1 and Broward Blvd there was ticket offices for National and Eastern.Ticket offices started to disappear in the 1980s.You don't see a ticket office for Jetblue these days. I guess the internet deleted the Ticket office and travel agency.

[Edited 2013-10-26 19:36:32]

N328KF

RE: Downtown Airline Ticket Offices.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:11 am

I've done this before, and in the last decade, though I can't recall where off-hand. Heathrow?

EDIT: I think it was Heathrow Express.

[Edited 2013-10-26 20:49:02]
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

FlyingSicilian

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:31 am

Before the merge CO had one at their HQs in DT Houston.

Qatar Airways has one in DT Houston however.
I was told there would be cookies...

DesertFlyer

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:32 am

Taca has one a couple blocks from me in San Francisco. I can't imagine it will be around for much longer though.

AirAfreak

Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:56 am

In Los Angeles, we have:

Thai Airways International - El Segundo/Los Angeles Airport South
Asiana Airlines - Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles Koreatown District
Avianca Airlines - Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles Koreatown District
Korean Air - Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles Koreatown District

I am sure there might be more, but those were just a few that I see while driving around town.

Cheers!

AirAfreak =]
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

Braybuddy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:14 am

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter):

Thats something you no longer see in this day and age

Indeed. They were always something very handy, for reasons other than selling tickets. In the years long before smartphones and Google maps they were always a great indication of the city's commercial centre. Often I'd find myself in a strange city for the first time and trying to find my bearings without even a map. Once I found the airline offices I knew I was pretty much in the heart of the upmarket area of the city.

EA CO AS

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:19 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 6):
Thats something you no longer see in this day and age
Indeed. They were always something very handy, for reasons other than selling tickets

City Ticket Offices (CTOs) are also incredibly expensive, hence the reasons most U.S. carriers eliminated them shortly after 9/11. They were common at one point in major metropolitan areas and hotels, but have gone the way of the dodo for the most part since they really don't generate enough revenue to justify their own existence.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

USAirALB

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:16 am

I remember US had a very extensive CTO network in the heyday, with locations at LAX, SFO, BDL, DCA (2), FLL, JAX, MCO, PBI, TLH, TPA, SAV, ORD, IND, Annapolis, BWI, Bethesda, Pikesville(MD), BOS(3), ALB, BUF, NYC (5), ROC, SYR, HPN, CLT(6), GSO (3), RDU (2), DAY, MDT, PHL(4), PIT (5), Wilmington (DE), PVD, CHS, Arlington(VA), Hampton (VA), ORF, RIC, ROA, IAD, Virginia Beach, YYZ, CDG, FCO as of 2000.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

cgnnrw

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:19 am

When I lived in WashDC back in the late 80's-early 90's there were quite a few airline ticket offices in the area around K and 12th Streets NW. At the time Pan Am was still around and I booked two TATL flights at their offices. Also NYC was always good for ticket offices too. If I remeber correctly there was a central airline office near Grand Central Station.

I argee the need for ticket offices is a thing of the past; however, a lot of airlines still have offices in Paris. Whenever I'm there I try to find as many as possible and see what "goodies" I can take with me e.g. timetables, inflight magazines, etc. Air France has a very big operation near the Invalides RER station and there are quite a few in the area near the Opera.
A330 man.

SCQ83

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:55 am

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 8):
I argee the need for ticket offices is a thing of the past; however, a lot of airlines still have offices in Paris. Whenever I'm there I try to find as many as possible and see what "goodies" I can take with me e.g. timetables, inflight magazines, etc. Air France has a very big operation near the Invalides RER station and there are quite a few in the area near the Opera.

Interesting. I now live in Paris and I also noticed that... it is kind of weird because now most of those offices are in extremely commercial streets packed with shoppers and tourists... they yet look empty compared to any shop nearby, you wonder why they remain there and they don't become another GAP or H&M. On top of my head I can think of Iran Air in Champs Elysees or Korean Air in Boulevard de la Madeleine (and this looks like a huge office).

atcsundevil

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:19 am

When I was growing up I remember walking past the Aeroflot office in Copenhagen many times. They always had little things for sale in the window like models or Aeroflot branded matryoshka dolls. My mom bought me both (yes, yes, I was spoiled) and I'm pretty sure I still have the latter.

Does anyone know if the CPH Aeroflot office is still there? I'm guessing it probably isn't, but I haven't been to CPH in at least 15 years.

Unfortunately ticket offices began disappearing when online bookings became more and more prevalent, and even before then to an extent. It's a shame because it really represented a major shift in customer relations for airlines. Ever since, things have become even less personalized with kiosks, OLCI, self bag tagging, self-boarding, UA's silly "Alex" thing.. I guess one could say that the closing of ticket offices was the first step in this whole dehumanizing cascade. But I digress.

ImperialEagle

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:28 am

Most of the CTO's in Atlanta were right downtown in the different hotel lobbies and the Equitable Building. There was also an area at Lenox Square with them. Lack of paper tickets surely finally did away with most of them and I'm not thinking there are any left in Atlanta. There was a Company ticket office back behind the airport Hilton into the early 2000's. I think CTO's worked very well for businesses, most of which were located in downtown settings.

I remember downtown Miami

Yes, I recall ticket offices downtown Miami and on the Beach.

Eastside Airline Terminal in NYC as well. I think that was the largest CTO operation I ever saw. You could also catch a limo to any of the airports or a shuttle to the Pan Am building for the helicopter.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

aviatorcraig

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 am

Quoting N328KF (Reply 1):
I've done this before, and in the last decade, though I can't recall where off-hand. Heathrow?

EDIT: I think it was Heathrow Express.

Heathrow Express is the massively overpriced train link between the Airport and Central London, its not an airline.

Downtown Airline Ticket Offices are history because tickets are history. An e-ticket operation does not have to be located in those expensive areas. I mean, does any airline still issue paper tickets? Those funny little multi-part strips of paper separated by red carbon paper... I haven't seen one for years.
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

andrefranca

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:54 am

In MAO the last one standing (correct if I'm wrong) is Azul (David Neeleman's) downtown, CM just closed theirs and JJ has its travel agency franchise TAM Viagens nearly every shopping mall.

CAMPBELL

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:09 pm

In May 1978 my family was driving back from Mississippi to South Carolina and we stopped at a hotel in Atlanta next to I-20 for lunch and I was able to pick up timetables for Northwest Orient, Delta, Piedmont and United. The Delta timetable was the issue that featured the inaugural flight from ATL to LGW. I just can't remember the Hotel.

PHX787

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:21 pm

DL had one in downtown Cincinnati, and I think they actually still do, and moved it to where their callcenter is. The old location closed around 2006 or 2007.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

RJNUT

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:25 pm

from Cpae AIr's website:

City Ticket Offices
Call it a throwback to the days when you could visit an airline's ticket office on a major city street. We like to think of our CTOs as a way to not only provide one-on-one, personal assistance, but also a way to invest in the communities we serve. You can book your flights at any of our CTOs. To reach a local CTO, please call 800-CAPE-AIR and the extension for your preferred location.

Quincy
727 Hampshire Street
Quincy, IL 62301
x-638 Massena
45 Main Street
Massena, NY 13662
x-634 Fort Leonard Wood
229 Old Historic Rte. 66
Suite A
Waynesville, MO 65583
x-669
Augusta
295 Water Street
Suite 2
Augusta, ME 04330
x-639 Cape Giradeau
420 Broadway Street
Cape Giradeau, MO 63701
x-663 Kirksville
102 E. Washington Street
Kirksville, MO 63501
x-664
Owensboro
109 E. 2nd Street
Owensboro, KY 42303
x-637 Marion
202A North Market Street
Marion, IL 62959
x-635 Rockland
436 Main Street
Rockland, ME 04841
x-662
Mayaguez
17 La Candelaria
Peral Street Corner
Mayaguez, PR 00680
x-5 (Spanish Only) Ogdensburg
318 Ford Street
Ogdensburg, NY 13669
x-636

Baexecutive

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:43 pm

BA has a travel shop in Piccadilly

Qatar Airways has just opened a ticket office in Harrods

American Airlines allow check-in at Paddington train station

Royal Air Maroc, Korean Air, PIA, Thai, Turkish Airlines, JAT, Aeroflot, Azerbaijan Airlines, Royal Jordanian, China Airlines and Icelandair all have ticket offices in London.

COSPN

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:44 pm

How many CTO's does UA still have ?? GUM has one not far from the airport, many Older folks here do not have computers, or credit cards and still pay cash for tickets..

Cush

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:46 pm

Oh how I miss airline offices... When I was young, we would travel once a year to some cool new city. As soon as we arrived in the hotel, I would pull out the yellow pages and write down the local airline offices. I would then proceed to beg my father to walk around with me. lol. I will never forget the joy I had in NYC around 1997. Forget the Statue of Liberty, WTC, and Empire State Bldg. I had a list of 20 offices to visit! haha.

I actually would always walk away with a bunch of cool stuff. Timetables, stickers, books, tags, models, posters, etc... Oh those were the days.... Along with writing to airlines. I will never forget writing letters to far off lands once every few months, and then sit back and wait for my treasures to arrive. Airlines used to give away some cool stuff!
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

codc10

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:53 pm

United also operates CTOs at Penn Station in New York and the Ala Moana Center in Honolulu. Remnants from Continental.

OA260

Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:54 pm

I used to love going to the ones in London. There were so many. The main ones on Piccadilly were IR / AF / UTA / OA / LH /
AZ / ME / SU / KE / TW / PA. Just off that were GF / TG / IA / MA . Then around Leicester Sq who can forget the amazing Swissair one at Swiss Centre. Opposite was BWIA. Those were the days!  
Quoting baexecutive (Reply 17):
BA has a travel shop in Piccadilly

Really ? Never knew that. I always remember their 5-6 units at the bottom of Regent Street and then later they moved up the other side before closing it.

Quoting baexecutive (Reply 17):
Qatar Airways has just opened a ticket office in Harrods

Indeed I was there a few weeks ago.

RP TPA

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Quoting aviatorcraig (Reply 12):
Downtown Airline Ticket Offices are history because tickets are history. An e-ticket operation does not have to be located in those expensive areas. I mean, does any airline still issue paper tickets? Those funny little multi-part strips of paper separated by red carbon paper... I haven't seen one for years.

That about sums it up. When I first started working for the airlines (1989), everything was "paper" ticketing. Original tkts, along with reissues, had to be handled manually. That's why CTOs were so prevalent. If you had to buy a new ticket, you could either wait for it to arrive in the mail (or have someone "prepay" it....bonus points to anyone who remembers prepaid tickets), or just pick it up at the local office. If you had an exchange, the physical ticket was required. Nowdays, with e-ticketing pretty much covering everything, including interline segments, there is no longer a need to have a physical office. Everything is handled thru the call centers, and e-mailed back to the passenger.

I still chuckle when I think back to when e-tickets first started. Some people were so wary of them, and refused ("I don't want an electronic ticket.....I want a REAL ticket"). Of course, when they were told they had to mail their "real" ticket back to us for an exchange, or even worse, when they misplaced their "real" ticket, and found out they had to buy a new one (or fill out an LTIB....more bonus points for anyone who remembers them), they finally came around.

Coal

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:45 pm

There's a lot of them in Asia.

e.g. in Singapore there's MH, TG, CZ, and JL all located in the financial district. If I remember correctly CX is also somewhere there, although they don't have a ground level office, rather's it's inside an office building like on a 10th floor or so. SQ has their's at ION Orchard, a shopping mall. UA used to have one downtown in the Hong Leong Finance building but they shut it down a few years ago.

In Shanghai, CA had a pretty large office around Jing'an district.

These offices can be quite useful. If you search for airfares on ITA, you can use those booking codes and go there and buy tickets, sometimes even cheaper than what you can get online.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

TK787

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Those were the days.
TK had a very nice office midtown Manhattan, eventually moved to some place in Long Island.

deltacto

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 11):
Most of the CTO's in Atlanta were right downtown in the different hotel lobbies and the Equitable Building. There was also an area at Lenox Square with them. Lack of paper tickets surely finally did away with most of them and I'm not thinking there are any left in Atlanta. There was a Company ticket office back behind the airport Hilton into the early 2000's.

All DL's ticket offices in Atlanta closed December 2007.
That left just one Delta CTO in the US - near Grand Central in New York
I dont recall how long that one remained open.

deltacto

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:51 pm

Quoting RP TPA (Reply 22):
(or have someone "prepay" it....bonus points to anyone who remembers prepaid tickets)

Yes! And there was a $100 fee for a prepaid ticket!

Quoting RP TPA (Reply 22):
when they misplaced their "real" ticket, and found out they had to buy a new one (or fill out an LTIB....more bonus points for anyone who remembers them),

Yes! Another $100 fee!

MSYtristar

Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:58 pm

They had quite a few in downtown New Orleans over the years.

In the Fairmont Hotel alone there were counters for DL, EA, and AA. Both PA (NA before it) and DL had ones at the Hilton. CO had one in an office building. DL also had one out in the suburbs that I used to go to fairly often since it was five minutes from my house.

JFKL1011

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:02 pm

I never gave it much thought at the time, but now that big paper tickets and the airline branded ticket envelopes are a thing of the past I am sure glad I held on to at least one....my boarding pass, receipt and envelope for my flight on TWA 800 in July 1996. It always attracts attention when I attend the yearly open house at the TWA Flight Center at JFK.
So many places to fly and increasingly so few interesting aircraft to get there on.

ozark1

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Wow. Brings back a lot of memories. AA and CO had adjacent city ticket offices in downtown ELP in what was then the Plaza Hotel.
I can remember a lot of them, side by side, at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim. If i'm not mistaken, wasn't there a DL or a Delta C&S ticket office storefront in downtown HOU that was abandoned for years with the signage still up?
I still remember BN's drive through ticket office off of Lemmon Ave in Dallas. I wonder how that worked out for them. Braniff was pretty innovative back then---they also had that monorail from their terminal to the parking lot.
City ticket offices were places where kids like me could look into the windows, see the cool models and posters, and dream of adventures yet to be taken.
Sure glad I experienced them before they disappeared!

JAGflyer

Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Emirates has their ticketing office at Yonge and Sheppard in Toronto. The actual service area of the office is small but it is incredibly beautiful and very professional looking. When I have walked into the building all the staff were dressed in the same type of uniform FAs (male and female) would be wearing.

I agree that airline ticketing offices are dead or slowly dying out. With the exception of certain demographics, most people do not go to an airline's office to purchase tickets. Considering the use of paper ticketing is just about totally gone for first-world carriers, there is no reason to visit a brick and mortar office.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

CairnterriAIR

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:21 pm

My mother worked for a time in EA's BDL city ticket office. It was in the center of downtown Hartford and was actually a shared office with UA. My mother was actually busy on a daily basis often doing ticket sales and alot of ticket changes. Like what was said above, this was well before computers and ticketless travel. When EA shut down, the office of course closed. But UA stuck around in that office until sometime after 9-11. By then the internet was in full swing, paper tickets had vanished, and the CTO was pointless. Until very recently....a few years ago, the United/Eastern signage still hung over the long empty office space until a new business finally moved in. I think during the CTO hayday EA also had an office in Stamford CT. DL who has always been big in Hartford, had not only an office in Hartford, but one in Springfield and Simsbury as well.

cgnnrw

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 9):
On top of my head I can think of Iran Air in Champs Elysees or Korean Air in Boulevard de la Madeleine (and this looks like a huge office).

Aeroflot has/had an office on Champs Elysees as well. Emirates is located on Blvd Hausmann. The office isn't visible from the street, you have go into the building and take the elevator. MEA and Syrianair are located across from the Opera. Air Algerie and Royal Air Maroc were also in the area. I've been to Korean's office and yes its huge. Tunisair and Air Europe are on Ave. Ferdinand (?). I found Qatar's office by shear luck, also on an upper floor of an office building. LOT is near a Metro stop on Ave XX Septembre (?). I remember wakling by offices from Air China, China Southern and Vietnam Airlines, unfortunately I didn't have time to go inside.
A330 man.

turk223

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Back in the day in Barbados, we had CTOs in Bridgetown for: American, BWIA, Air Canada, British Airways, LIAT, and Caribbean Airways. Man, I used to bother all of the employees at each one when I was a kid; after school I would go and get the old copies of their OAGs and magazines... I had quite a (bad?) reputation.

srbmod

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Quoting ImperialEagle (Reply 11):
There was also an area at Lenox Square with them. Lack of paper tickets surely finally did away with most of them and I'm not thinking there are any left in Atlanta.

I remember DL and AA having their CTOs pretty much right next to each other at Lenox Square. At one time, Delta and Eastern had CTOs right next to each other at a shopping center down the street from me.

About the only use I had for the DL CTOs was to get paper schedules.

There's a sign on a shopping center at the corner of Windy Hill and Powers Ferry in Cobb County for Korean Air, but there is no such office mentioned on their website, so I'm guessing whatever type of office it was has been closed for a while and the shopping center owners haven't gotten around to removing the signs.

777fan

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:29 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 6):
They were common at one point in major metropolitan areas and hotels, but have gone the way of the dodo for the most part since they really don't generate enough revenue to justify their own existence.

They didn't only exist in city centers or hotels: UA leased a strip mall storefront and maintained a ticket office about six blocks from my childhood home in suburban Chicago. The office was unusual in that it was only about ten miles from ORD and not in a hotel or business center, although both were located a few miles away, about halfway between the ticket office and ORD.

I used to pop in to look for timetables before internet access rendered those, and the storefront offices irrelevant.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

midex461

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:02 pm

Back in the day, HP had quite a few around PHX, and (I think) a few in LAS. Eventually, that was shrunk to just the one at HQ in Tempe. And that was closed in 2009, since by then about the only paper ticketing that was being done was ID90s/ZEDs for employees.
Opinions and views expressed are MINE and do NOT represent the views of US Airways

bmacleod

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:31 pm

I can remember when AC had a ticket office in every major Canadian city.... Now it's just down to YVR YUL and YYZ unless they're closed too...
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

AustrianZRH

Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:35 pm

LX still has a ticket office in the Credit Suisse building on Paradeplatz in central Zurich. Must be one of the most expensive places in the world...

What's even stranger, LH operates a ticket office in Werdmühlestrasse between the Limmat river and Bahnhofstrasse - I've always wondered why they do not merge their ticket offices given LH owns LX...
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.

SelseyBill

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 21):
I used to love going to the ones in London. There were so many. The main ones on Piccadilly were IR / AF / UTA / OA / LH / AZ / ME / SU / KE / TW / PA. Just off that were GF / TG / IA / MA . Then around Leicester Sq who can forget the amazing Swissair one at Swiss Centre. Opposite was BWIA. Those were the days

They were indeed.

I used to love spending a day walking around those central London airline agencies collecting as many timetable schedule booklets as I could. (Anyone remember paper timetable books !!!!!)

Wish I had kept those timetables...........

COSPN

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Quoting codc10 (Reply 20):
United also operates CTOs at Penn Station in New York and the Ala Moana Center in Honolulu. Remnants from Continental.

Wow only 3 UA CTO's in the United States ? NYC HNL GUM ?? must be a few others out there

FWAERJ

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Not quite a CTO, but close: Back when I was a very young child living in Des Plaines (near ORD), UA allowed pax in the ORD area to pick up tickets at their ORD reservations center. Which my parents did on many occasions before we moved to northwest Indiana when I was in first grade. After that, we used a travel agent for a few years, then went to booking tickets online (with the exception of some Apple Vacations packages booked through a local agent). Since we moved to FWA, apart from a phone call to Delta Vacations for a complex booking, we've always used the Web.

I don't think UA allows ticket pickup anymore, but UA ORD reservations is still there (and, after the CO merger, they replaced the 1974-1993 logo on the building that didn't change with the 1993 or 1997 logo changes with the sCO globe).

[Edited 2013-10-27 12:49:25]
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

Beechtobus

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:04 pm

This United Nail and Eyelash salon used to be a United Airlines City Ticket Office in in a strip mall in the Denver Tech Center on the SW corner of Yosemite and Arapahoe, a few miles from where I lived for many years. This pic is about a year old but this place is still there.

Shortly after this United CTO closed post 9-11/UA bankruptcy, this place appeared. I'm guessing this beauty salon took over the lease, kept the UNITED name so they didn't have to buy a whole new sign (notice the 90's United font), and removed the AIRLINES letters and added the NAILS and EYELASH signs and moved everything to the left so it fit above their storefront (you can make out where the United Airlines lettering used to be and even see an outline of the Tulip under the current TE in UNITED). Definitely cost conscious if not creative

From what I remember United had many CTO locations around Denver pre 9-11, I'm thinking 6 or 7, maybe more if I remember correctly. While Denver was United's #2 hub for many years, I think the number of CTOs there was pretty impressive for the city's size back then (2 or so million people in the metro area, perhaps even less).

[Edited 2013-10-27 13:34:08]

roseflyer

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Quoting AirAfreak (Reply 4):
Asiana Airlines - Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles Koreatown District

I think that is the location of the English speaking reservation office. There aren't a whole lot of places to find a large bilingual population to handle all phone calls. Routing US calls to Korea does not work the best for native English speakers. I think thai and Korean also route US calls to their Los Angeles based reservation office.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

nzrich

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Air NZ still operates a pretty comprehensive network of air nz holiday stores in NZ only .
"Pride of the pacific"

OA260

Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:34 pm

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 39):
I used to love spending a day walking around those central London airline agencies collecting as many timetable schedule booklets as I could. (Anyone remember paper timetable books !!!!!)

Wish I had kept those timetables...........

Yes I sorted out my roof space this Summer and kept the more important ones. Got them all safely packed away now but a few pics I took before .

I used to do the same spending a whole day going around the offices. The staff always rustled up things like posters/timetables/stickers/postcards etc... That was when a one day travel card was 90p  

IrishAyes

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:00 pm

I remember both DL and BA had ones right next to each other in Dallas at the Westin hotel at the Galleria. One afternoon, my grandparents were visiting and had flown in on separate itineraries: one was flying DFW-FRA-DEL on Delta (back when DL not only had hubs in DFW/FRA, but ALSO a nonstop DL DFW-FRA and FRA-DEL flight) and the other was flying DFW-LGW/LHR-DEL. Summer 1995 i believe.

My grandmother was going back and forth because she eventually cancelled her ticket on Delta and changed her booking to fly British Airways back. I longed for a Delta model plane so badly in those days, but was satisfied reading the timetables in the waiting area in the intermediary  

So nostalgic for those days!

Also, recently was in MAD and saw a LAN ticket office. Also saw an Avianca one in BCN.

ha763

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Quoting codc10 (Reply 20):

It's UA's second CTO at Ala Moana, courtesy of CO. UA closed its original CTO at Ala Moana in 2003. In fact, most U.S. airlines moved or opened their Honolulu CTO to Ala Moana and they were all lined up in a corridor in Sears on the street level. The foreign airlines were typically located near Ala Moana as well. CI, OZ, and KE currently have offices near Ala Moana on Kapiolani Blvd. JAL was the last airline that had a CTO in downtown Honolulu, which was on Bishop St.

nomadic

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 32):
Aeroflot has/had an office on Champs Elysees

At one time TWA had the largest airline CTO on the Champs Elysees. It was two levels with a lounge, tourist information desk, reading area with news papers from the USA as well as the usual ticket counters.

IIRC the London office in Piccadilly was the busiest of any TWA location.

Although not as busy as far as actual bookings, the TWA New York CTO on 5th Avenue at Rockefeller Center generated a great deal of foot traffic, much of it from tourists asking for directions!

OA260

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Quoting nomadic (Reply 48):
IIRC the London office in Piccadilly was the busiest of any TWA location.

IIRC you went in and there was an escalator to go upstairs to the ticketing desks. Also TWA Getaway Vacations was there too.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos