Miami
Topic Author

Will Mexicana Ever Resume Services?

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:31 am

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if MX will ever resume services?

Of my understanding Med Atlantic and Grupo Fides are still trying to invest money for MX.

On Wiki it was stated: "Operations are expected to resume in October 2013" I'm assuming this is just Wiki and it's games...

Is there a chance we will ever see MX fly again??      

-Miami   
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Polot

RE: Will Mexicana Ever Resume Services?

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:01 am

Various groups have been claiming an imminent relaunch since they shut down. The fact that nothing has happened at all in the 3 years that MX has been gone is proof enough that MX won't be resuming service.

Quoting Miami (Thread starter):

On Wiki it was stated: "Operations are expected to resume in October 2013" I'm assuming this is just Wiki and it's games...

Their source for that dates back to February 2nd. It's not happening.

Marcus

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:07 am

MX is done for good...........(in a DMV employee voice) NEXT!
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

AM777LR

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:46 am

Quoting Marcus (Reply 2):

Sad but true. There just no room for MX. 4O and Y4 jumped on all if MXs slots at MEX and they have expanded far beyond what MX ever did. La Compañía Mexicana de Aviación will most likely never see the light of day again. The last livery was amazing and I miss seeing that beautiful A330-200 on the approach in to MEX.

AR385

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:27 am

MX is dead as a dodo and is not coming back.

TheRedBaron

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:26 am

I know for a fact, that no matter what, High government officials will never make it fly... sad to see the planes just sitting there at MEX, waiting... breaks my heart because I have so many friends who used to work there...

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

DesertAir

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:49 pm

While flying out of Mexico City in August I noticed posters near the Mexicana check-in area claiming that the CEOs of Aeromexico, Volaris, Viva and Interjet are keeping Mexicana from flying again. To begin flying again, the new investors will have to pay the huge debt that Mexicana owes its employees, airports and other creditors. Better to liquidate and pay employees and debts.

AM777LR

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:52 pm

Quoting DesertAir (Reply 6):

I am sure 4O and Y4 don't want MX to resume, it's competition.

PDPsol

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 1):
Various groups have been claiming an imminent relaunch since they shut down. The fact that nothing has happened at all in the 3 years that MX has been gone is proof enough that MX won't be resuming service.
Quoting Marcus (Reply 2):
MX is done for good...........(in a DMV employee voice) NEXT!

Reality has obviously sunk in over the past 3 years since MX ceased operations. The Mexican commercial aviation market has developed tremendously, leaving MX in the dust:

- Volaris has grown substantially and now even trades publicly on the New York Stock Exchange
- AM has gone public in Mexico and is poised for expansion, with entry of the B787 fueling a competitive long-haul product
- Viva recently made a record-breaking order with Airbus for A320ceo/neo examples
- Interjet is incorporating the Sukhoi Superjet to its regional network

Mexico does not need MX, or its old problems...

Tomassjc

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:12 pm

As a former 20 year employee of MX here in the states (1979-1999) it saddens me to know that MX will not return. But as posted here the realities all support that. There is nothing left for MX. Most of my former coworkers that stayed to the end have moved on, but a few hold on to the pipe dream that MX will return.

The sad thing is that most employees in Mexico were left high and dry, without backpay, pensions or compensation due to the poor management and corruption that had long existed in the company. Protests and rallies continue by some that hold a sliver of hope that they will one day be justly compensated.

Here in the United States in the late 90s, MX got rid of it's 600+ union employees by basically buying out the IAM during labor negotiations. Work was contracted out and sections of the Railway Labor Act were violated. No one blinked an eye. Fortunately, our retirement benefits were protected and pensions were insured.

On a recent trip to Mexico City, it was hard to ignore the Mexicana signage at the airport, at the former office at Juarez and Balderas, and especially the MX name across the top of the Xola tower on approach to MEX. A tear shed. Sad indeed.

Just my dos centavos....

Tomas SJC
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

Fyano773

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:30 pm

Of course no one wants MX back. A hypotetical return would only disrupt the market, specially when a new entrant is no needed more.

Those "investors" such as MED Atlántica, FIDES are fabrications whose purpose is to artificially lengthen the bankruptcy process.

For instance, check MED Atlántica HQ in Madrid (Google Maps):

CALLE MARQUES DE CUBAS, 25, MADRID, 28014, MADRID

A real enterprise willing to invest hundred million dollars would have offices according to its size and scope. Additionally, this is the second address they post in their website; the previous one was an apartment building or pisos in Príncipe de Vergara street.

Perhaps MED Atlántica decided to start operations like Apple or HP  Wink

[Edited 2013-10-29 13:37:52]

Marcus

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Quoting Fyano773 (Reply 10):
are fabrications whose purpose is to artificially lengthen the bankruptcy process.

Why would anyone want to do this? what do they have to gain?....I'm not trying to give you a hard time I'm just asking.
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

TheRedBaron

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:00 pm

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 9):

It saddens me also, not only because I preferred MX to AM, but a lot of my high school mates worked there for decades.

I know for a fact that the intent was:

the owners to bankrupt Mexicana and keep click and use it as a new platform to rename it "the new Mexicana" leaving all workers and union high and dry. ( a everyday occurrence in Mexico) They could not because the same day the US transport department issued a no fly to MX, due to non compliance of security and Mech procedures and inspections, and the whole plan went south.

The government seeing the debacle and that exposing the owners with deep influence in the government would cause a huge scandal, they left the owners untouched and agreed to make the negotiations as painful, difficult and imposible ...and you know the result.

Quoting PDPsol (Reply 8):
Mexico does not need MX, or its old problems...

Mexico doesn't need a lot of stuff,a and the whole transport ministry is a joke.

Marcus to answer your question. The AM 4O and Y4 groups are deeply connected with government officials, its within their interest to make the PAY as small as possible, having for example Mexicana and Aviacsa Back would make the market a lot more competitive, and remember Mexicana had very good relations with USA carriers....

Business as usual in Mexico... sadly

TRB

Fyano773

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:06 pm

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 12):
Marcus to answer your question. The AM 4O and Y4 groups are deeply connected with government officials, its within their interest to make the PAY as small as possible, having for example Mexicana and Aviacsa Back would make the market a lot more competitive, and remember Mexicana had very good relations with USA carriers....

Excuse me, but that is another conspiracy theory alla Zeitgeist.

The return of MX or 6A would not make the market more competitive. Both would not have the cash, the products or fleets to face AM, 4O or Y4 and even VB; they would only bring overcapacity and sadly would fail again.

Quoting Marcus (Reply 11):
Why would anyone want to do this? what do they have to gain?....

The main beneficiary to delay the liquidation of the company is ex-chairman Azcárraga. He, along with Borja an Crespo poorly managed the company and they have been accused of fraud. See:

• http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/columnas/90781.html
  • http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/columnas/85620.html
  • http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/columnas/92694.html
  • http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/columnas/91219.html

• [Edited 2013-10-30 14:15:14]

AR385

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Quoting Fyano773 (Reply 13):
    The return of MX or 6A would not make the market more competitive. Both would not have the cash, the products or fleets to face AM, 4O or Y4 and even VB;

It was obvious that when well managed, well funded and well fleeted 4O and Y4 entered the market, that consolidation was going to ocurr. There are threads here from that time about the subject. There were not going to be en enough chairs for everybody once the music stopped. It was either AM or MX which were going to have to merge or die. MX was the less well managed of the two, getting A330s to fly to LGW, MAD etc. among other ill thought adventures.

I don´t know why it was a big surprise when it stopped flying.

EddieDude

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 pm

It looks like "Will MX Ever Fly Again?" is becoming the modern version of "When Will NW Retire The DC9s". It is time to let go.
    Upcoming flights:
    April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

WesternA318

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Quoting AM777LR (Reply 3):
    La Compañía Mexicana de Aviación will most likely never see the light of day again. The last livery was amazing and I miss seeing that beautiful A330-200 on the approach in to MEX.

No joke...one of the most beautiful A330's to ever grace the skies.      

AM777LR

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:18 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 14):
    I don´t know why it was a big surprise when it stopped flying.

Exactly...

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 15):
    It looks like "Will MX Ever Fly Again?" is becoming the modern version of "When Will NW Retire The DC9s". It is time to let go.

LOL   

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 16):
    No joke...one of the most beautiful A330's to ever grace the skies.

AM777LR

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 pm

I just saw this picture posted on a social media site by a friend at MEX. Apparently, MX is being accused of "screwing employees out of their pensions thru false bankruptcy" Thought I'd share.

AR385

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:56 pm

These employees now playing victim ought to realize they were, in no small part, responsible for the airline´s demise and initial failures to restart it. So no tears from me.

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:47 am

Quoting Tomassjc (Reply 9):
    As a former 20 year employee of MX here in the states (1979-1999) it saddens me to know that MX will not return.

Their loss was AS' gain.
    "In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NWAROOSTER

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 15):

Northwest Airlines never did retire the DC-9s.. Delta acquired Northwest and is still flying a handful of DC-9-50s   
    Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

TheRedBaron

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:33 am

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 21):

Seems to me the Dc9 will even survive the Zombie apocalypse !

Quoting AR385 (Reply 19):
    These employees now playing victim ought to realize they were, in no small part, responsible for the airline´s demise and initial failures to restart it. So no tears from me.

A lot of the bankruptcy was engineered in the upper echelons of management and ownership. And yes a lot of employees had a big part of it, but saying that employees broke the airline is simplistic.

The A330 flight was always full, I had permission to fly on the jumpseat for 4 months,and I stopped at the 15 visit to departure because the darn plane was full with someone on the JS, so I could not make a report on A net about it...
    The captain on the A330 now is in Ethiad and will fly the A380 next year !!! (hope I can jump seat on it!)...

And no Mexicana will never operate, and the liquidation is very far from over....
    TRB

AM777LR

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:50 am

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 21):
    Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 22):

I think DL had finally grounded the DC-9 fleet for good now, IIRC. Either that or the last flight is already set.

Tomassjc

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:03 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 20):
    Their loss was AS' gain.

I can remember when AS entered the SFO-GDL market in the late 80s, their MD80 was no match against MX's double daily DC-10-15s. Especially when it came to bag capacity. The AS GDL service didn't last long. But then AS came into the beach market and basically knocked MX out of the water. Looking back from where I sit now it all seems ironic.

Now if only AS could only stick a -900ER on SJC-GDL and add a SJC-MEX, we'd be set here in the South Bay!

Tomas SJC
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos