Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GILLESPATRICK
Topic Author

BRU New Airport Connector 2015

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:49 am

Hello all

here are the video's of the new project for BRU airport refurbishment ( Terminal A&B ) starting begining 2015 ,

looks great and a big improovement to what we have now
I love in the video the 747 in SN livery

vsflyer747400

RE: BRU New Airport Connector 2015

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:59 am

Quoting GILLESPATRICK (Thread starter):
here are the video's of the new project for BRU airport refurbishment ( Terminal A&B ) starting begining 2015

Err, where are the videos????   
Flown (in no order) VS BA AA EK CX MH DL EI BD KL HV NW RC LH AF DA TG QF US FR LX AC SK AZ PG SQ UA PA ZB AE(AIR EUROPE) KD

GILLESPATRICK
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:01 am

apuneger

Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:46 am

The new Connector will allow pax to go straight from the departure hall to their gate in Pier A or Pier B (!) without having to change levels.

Nowadays, if you have a flight leaving from Pier A, one must first descend quite a few levels via stairs or elevators, take a tunnel, go through security and then take the stairs/elevators again to go up some levels.

I wonder why they didn't build the Connector in the first place back in 2002. One can only assume the strategic plans at BRU have changed since 2002 in such a way that it warrants a business case for the Connector.

Anyway, more info about the Connector can be found at http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/corporate/connector/

Best regards,
Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

blueflyer

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Quoting Apuneger (Reply 3):
I wonder why they didn't build the Connector in the first place back in 2002.

Most likely because DHL still had their main sort at BRU at the time and they would have hated the Connector.

Construction equipment took over apron 50, one of DHL's aprons, and the structure is permanently cutting off taxiway R3 from R4. Inbound DHL flights landing on 25L would have to go around Pier A to reach the sort instead of coming down R4 and R3 between piers A and B, a fairly significant detour.

r2rho

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm not amused... basically what is now an underground walk on moving walkways will now be a ground-level winding walk through shops. The only advantage I see is that it should allow for more security lanes, which Pier A is severely lacking. But this could have been achieved through expansion elsewhere in the main terminal, not necessarily via a connector.

Yes, the connector will be nicer to walk through than the current dark tunnel, but that is just about the only improvement I see. From an operational point of view, I don't see the big benefit.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 4):
the structure is permanently cutting off taxiway R3 from R4. Inbound DHL flights landing on 25L would have to go around Pier A to reach the sort instead of coming down R4 and R3 between piers A and B, a fairly significant detour.

Indeed. I guess/hope the airport has no plans to expand westward, as this connector would really kill the taxi times to that area, putting a building right where there used to be taxiways.

9w748capt

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Sort of unrelated and I know this happened quite awhile ago - but why did SN move Africa departures to the T gates? I swear I remember seeing the Africa flights departing out of B back in mid '08 (was transiting BRU on 9W). Just morbid curiosity. Did they run out of room?
Thanks!

330lover

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:42 pm

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 6):
Did they run out of room?

Yep! Pier B was congested.
And more advantages: easier connections to all Schengen flights.
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

American 767

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 6):
but why did SN move Africa departures to the T gates?

Because there wasn't enough space available on the Concourse B to allocate gates for non Schenghen flights. So they decided that the top end of the Concourse A would be restricted to non Schenghen flights, with passport control at the entrance of the non Schenghen Pier A area. I was also asking myself the same question on a trip to BRU a year and a half ago. I thought it was strange spotting an SN A330 on Concourse A because I knew SN was not flying the A330 to European destinations, that's how I found out. But a friend in BRU explained me and I understood.

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

blueflyer

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Quoting American 767 (Reply 8):
So they decided that the top end of the Concourse A would be restricted to non Schenghen flights, with passport control at the entrance of the non Schenghen Pier A area.

Small details, the area isn't restricted to non-Schengen flights, it is a dual-purpose flexible zone. When the last Africa flight is gone, the T gates revert to A gates and are used by Schengen traffic.

Viscount724

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 am

The new Connector will allow pax to go straight from the departure hall to their gate in Pier A or Pier B (!) without having to change levels.

Nowadays, if you have a flight leaving from Pier A, one must first descend quite a few levels via stairs or elevators, take a tunnel, go through security and then take the stairs/elevators again to go up some levels.

BRU must now set some kind of record for the number of escalators you have to use before you get to the gates.

vfw614

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:03 am

Quoting r2rho (Reply 5):
I'm not amused... basically what is now an underground walk on moving walkways will now be a ground-level winding walk through shops.
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 10):
BRU must now set some kind of record for the number of escalators you have to use before you get to the gates.

Indeed. Shops or not, this will be a huge improvement. The current situation really is quite unacceptable. I always feel sorry for elderly people when doing the trek.

As we are just at it - I had a look at the Google Maps image of the airport and was wondering what the round satellite to the south of the central building is used for nowadays?

http://goo.gl/maps/MZtzf

Another one extending east into the apron appears to have been torn down although it did not block anything (from what I can tell), so I am quite curious about the use of this part of the airport.

330lover

Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:22 am

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 11):
as wondering what the round satellite to the south of the central building is used for nowadays?

IIRC, this part is has been turned into offices

vfw614

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:11 pm

To me, it looks like in a perfect location for a LCC terminal, allowing passengers to board by foot.

330lover

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Quoting vfw614 (Reply 13):
To me, it looks like in a perfect location for a LCC terminal, allowing passengers to board by foot.

This has been the plan in the past, but this plan was abandoned. Now it houses the offices of Brussels Airport Company (and maybe others) if I'm right.

boysteve

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:31 pm

I wonder why they didn't build the Connector in the first place back in 2002. One can only assume the strategic plans at BRU have changed since 2002 in such a way that it warrants a business case for the Connector.

I was at BRU today and saw the construction work. Having never been to BRU before I wondered why a land connection was being constructed to a remote pier. To me it would be like LHR building a land connection from T5A to T5B in a few years from now!

If BRU have removed the need for aircraft to taxi all the way through the gap between A & B gates then why not close it off? However I do not like needless walks through shops such as MAN T1. IF I WANT TO GO SHOPPING I WILL GO TO THE TRAFFORD CENTRE, IF I AM AT THE AIRPORT IT IS BECAUSE I WANT TO CATCH A PLANE, SIMPLES!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos