Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ER757

RE: Lax Evacuated - Breaking News

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 38):
Minimal departure traffic, though some airlines like AA, UA opting to depart flights from their terminals minus missing pax

That's good for the folks that were already there because no one else is going to be showing up anytime soon. No entry being permitted now, Sepulveda and Century Blvd shut down - airport roadway completely clogged with police and emergency vehicles. This will take a long time to clear up. Glad I was in LAX last week and not today.

EPA001

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Quoting Jetsgo (Reply 34):
NBC reporting TSA agent killed.

That is just so sad. Just for doing your job to be killed is horrific. May he/she rest in peace and all strength to the relatives who are left behind.  .

And so many passengers are effected by the delays etc. as a result of this shooting.

oc2dc

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:58 pm

LAX is accepting about 50% of flights on the south airfield. All aircraft arriving are not being deplaned yet...per head of LAX
I'm not complaining, I'm critiquing...

prosa

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Quoting PITingres (Reply 51):
Quoting prosa (Reply 29):
outside the security at a large busy airport is probably one of the best (so to speak) locations for a mass shooter seeking the maximum number of victims. Few if any other public places have such dense concentrations of people. I don't see any easy solutions.

I do ... get rid of the line! The pax security stuff is just for show anyway.

I've been waiting for someone to shoot up the landside of a security line for a few years now. I'm surprised that it has taken this long. (Although if I were a terrorist, I might not want to open people's eyes to how worthless the pax security process is!)

As much as I dislike the TSA, it would be impossible to eliminate security screening. Greatly increasing the number of screening checkpoints would reduce the lines, making for fewer potential targets, but it would be very expensive and might not be physically possible at some space-constrained airports.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

CdnCactus

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Quoting EPA001 (Reply 55):
That is just so sad. Just for doing your job to be killed is horrific. May he/she rest in peace and all strength to the relatives who are left behind.  .

I'd much prefer the shooter just off himself and don't take anyone else down with him, but that's rarely the case with someone holding a grudge, of course.

And I'd hope people would be understanding of the disruption knowing someone innocent has died, but that's not always the case, either. Just waiting for media to find a traveler who would rant in front of the camera about how his or her plans are all spoiled.

Jerseyguy

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:18 pm

They say that T3 will be closed "indefinately" does the airport have enough slack that arrivals and departures will be able to use other terminals.

My parents have a DEN-SNA flight on F9 tommorrow, I'm going to assume it will be 100% full with people from reroutes

Sligo

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:27 pm

LA Times

12:17 p.m.: A federal law enforcement official said that the gunman was a ticketed passenger entering the airport. Officials don’t believe the gunman has ever worked for TSA. Law enforcement sources had earlier told The Times the gunman was a TSA employee.

zanl188

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Just saw on ktla... WN servicing lavs and doing catering on taxiways... pax must be stuck on aircraft...
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

KBJCpilot

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Samsonite, I was way off!

DesertFlyer

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Listening to ground and it sounds like things are starting to move again.

F9Animal

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 pm

This is just terrible! Thank GOD this did not turn into a mass shooting. The rifle he had could have created absolute carnage. LAPD obviously did amazing, and stopped this from turning into a much deadlier scene, and likely hijacking. RIP to the TSA Agent.
I Am A Different Animal!!

chumley

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:07 pm

On FlightAware it looks like JetBlue is flying two aircraft from LAX to LGB. I assume these are empty to reposition them to an airport they can be used since T3 at LAX will not be loading passengers anytime soon?

JBU23 and JBU23A

StuckInCA

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:13 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 67):
GOD this did not turn into a mass shooting. The rifle he had could have created absolute carnage. LAPD obviously did amazing, and stopped this from turning into a much deadlier scene, and likely hijacking.

Did you read somewhere that this person had hijacking in mind at all? It seems unlikely to have been the plan in my opinion.

747megatop

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Quoting CdnCactus (Reply 58):
I'd much prefer the shooter just off himself and don't take anyone else down with him, but that's rarely the case with someone holding a grudge, of course.

In this case i hope the shooter survives so he can be questioned & understand why he did this and then put away in prison.

747megatop

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 65):
Whether you're serious or joking, this comment is absolutely inappropriate. Your "respect" rating of 59 means nothing here.

Deepest condolences to the victims and their families, and may all of this be sorted out quickly.

First off. Deepest condolences to the victims and their families. I hope the shooter survives to face trial so that he receives the harshest punishment.

But on the other hand, going back to the Reply #45 to which you commented about, why not call this a terrorist attack? To me a shooting in a public place is a terrorist attack striking terror in the hearts of people no matter what the reason (whether it was a grudge against a person or whatever) or who does it.

[Edited 2013-11-01 13:26:18]

LAXintl

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 pm

As T-3 will remain a crime scene for atleast the day, many T-3 airlines are making schedule changes.

B6 - Some flight cancellations, and will operate much of remaining schedule from LGB instead.
F9 - Cancelled for rest of day, except last arrival at 10pm.
NK - Still pending
VX - Still pending, but likely lots of cancels.

Also AA and UA have a travel advisory out for LAX and willing to reaccommodate travelers.

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 67):
LAPD

It was LAWA Police.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

studedave

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Meanwhile- no less then FIVE media helos still hover...

And LAPD helos 'patrol'.

StudeDave
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

prosa

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 61):
TSA went postal. Mind numbing, high pressure repetitive work, despised by the public, and poorly paid. It is only a matter of time.

Leaving aside the fact that the shooter apparently was not an off-duty TSA agent after all, the job isn't as bad as you make it sound. $15/hour or thereabouts isn't bad pay for a job that doesn't require any specific skills or education. Nor is the job any more boring or repetitive than most of the jobs that the agents would be doing if they weren't with the TSA. Finally, I very very highly doubt that the typical agent cares one iota that most people hate them.

ikramerica

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 72):

Will Virgin Australia operate out of T-2 today? Or will they use TBIT or remote?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

747megatop

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:47 pm

CNN is reporting that gunman is in custody - http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/01/us/lax-gunfire/index.html

Looks like he had a grudge against the TSA going by this -

" Eyewitnesses said that the gunman asked, "Hey, are you TSA?" and -- if a person answered "no" -- he would move on, according to the official."

[Edited 2013-11-01 14:16:41]

LAXintl

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:54 pm

A bit more info about suspect.

Paul Ciancia was identified as the shooting suspect at the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Friday morning.

Ciancia, 23, is resident of the Los Angeles area and is a U.S. citizen from New Jersey originally.

A law enforcement official confirm that Ciancia wrote a rant about killing Transportation Safety Administration workers.

Another official said that he was wearing military fatigues and carrying a bag that reads he “wanted to kill TSA and pigs.”

The shooter apparently walked up to the Terminal 3 security checkpoint and asked people if they were TSA agents before he opened fire.

Officials said that he removed the weapon from his bag before he opened fire. A preliminary report said that he had an AR-15 assault rife.

“He went past the screeners and into the airport itself,” said Los Angeles Airport Police Chief Patrick Gannon at a press conference.

PITingres

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Quoting prosa (Reply 57):
As much as I dislike the TSA, it would be impossible to eliminate security screening.

Why?

That's a serious question. I don't think people properly examine their assumptions when they say things like "you can't get rid of security screening." Tell me, am I somehow more dead if it happens in an airplane as opposed to standing in line waiting to be "screened"? As long as it's not feasible to use a plane as a bomb I don't see why airplane screening is any more important than bus, or train, or shopping center screening.

If the security checkpoint actually DID anything, I might feel differently. But screening as it is today does nothing whatsoever to stop a serious terrorist, nor anything (as we just saw) to stop someone who just wants to kill a few people.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

prosa

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Quoting PITingres (Reply 78):
Quoting prosa (Reply 57):
As much as I dislike the TSA, it would be impossible to eliminate security screening.

Why?

That's a serious question. I don't think people properly examine their assumptions when they say things like "you can't get rid of security screening." Tell me, am I somehow more dead if it happens in an airplane as opposed to standing in line waiting to be "screened"? As long as it's not feasible to use a plane as a bomb I don't see why airplane screening is any more important than bus, or train, or shopping center screening.

If the security checkpoint actually DID anything, I might feel differently. But screening as it is today does nothing whatsoever to stop a serious terrorist, nor anything (as we just saw) to stop someone who just wants to kill a few people.

This is a completely absurd hypothetical, but if somehow the United States eliminated all security screening for airline passengers it would spell an immediate end to all international air travel. No foreign airline would fly to the United States, and no foreign country would allow airliners coming from the U.S. to operate in their airspace.

donzilasse

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:24 pm

Here is his facebook. Says he worked at TSA?

donzilasse

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:24 pm

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007008666451&fref=ts&ref=br_tf

CaliAtenza

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Quoting donzilasse (Reply 81):

definetly fake, it says he joined FB 41 minutes ago....

oc2dc

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Quoting donzilasse (Reply 81):

This is a fake account. Notice how it said he changed his profile pic a few minutes ago. Also notice how he has only 5 friends and very little activity. . .Whoever took the time to make this fake account is insane...
I'm not complaining, I'm critiquing...

varsity

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:36 pm

I read that B6 will operate its planned LAX flights (I'm assuming eastbound red-eyes to JFK and BOS) from LGB which would explain the shuttle flights Chumley saw.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

LAXintl

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:41 pm

VX just cancelled flights for remainder of day @ LAX. Employees are being told to go home as access to T-3 will not be anytime soon.

KBUF

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Quoting varsity (Reply 84):

I read that B6 will operate its planned LAX flights (I'm assuming eastbound red-eyes to JFK and BOS) from LGB which would explain the shuttle flights Chumley saw.

Confirmed via B6's Twitter: https://twitter.com/JetBlue/status/396358752384741376

I can't help but wonder if there will be a ground shuttle from LAX to LGB to accommodate those passengers. You'd have to assume a good portion of them don't know about the change.

[Edited 2013-11-01 15:04:50]

FlightShadow

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:01 pm

Quoting PITingres (Reply 71):
Why?

My local airport's TSA agents have removed over a dozen firearms from ticketed passengers this year. That's hardly 'doing nothing.'

As a general rule, there isn't much that can be done, anywhere, to stop someone who just wants to hurt a few people and doesn't really care about consequences. Airport security does remove a great deal of potential threat. What would things look like if everyone and their cousin knew they could walk on an airplane with any destructive equipment they wanted? Bad things would happen, and we'd beef up security...

Airplanes have a history of being used for mass casualty much more often than the local supermarket.

Airport security performs a vital job.

[Edited 2013-11-01 15:07:15]
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

johnboy

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Quoting marktci (Reply 59):
Quoting L-188 (Reply 45):
So we are looking at TSA on TSA violence.

Sorry I am going to put this up on the same shelf as Islamic fundamentalist on Islamic fundamentalist and gang on gang violence. Bad people simply thinning their herd.

So this person who went to work this morning and was killed because of it was a "bad person" and we shouldn't be bothered that they were killed?

M'kay….

It's a pretty outrageous statement. Props to you, Marktci for calling him out. Frankly I'm shocked that the moderators let that stay on this site. I'd keep my eye on a few people around here (are you reading NSA?)

kevinkevin

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:30 pm

Prayers are with everyone at LAX today!! This madness will never stop. Security should always be top priority no matter the circumstance. There's no excuse for poor security.

opethfan

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 80):

I've said something like this in previous threads. If someone wants to hurt people, they'll do it. It's not like the inside of a plane is the only place that can be devastating if attacked. That's why there are snipers at the ready at the Superbowl.

Airport security does have a role - to ensure no one's bringing on a bag which has a starter pistol in it from your sports event last week or a personal with a mental illness isn't bringing on a switchblade to brandish in mid-air. But that's all it can realistically be - a quick bag check and a metal detector. When checkpoints end up hosting hundreds of civilians, plus LEOs, they become a target themselves.

EK413

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:47 pm

Really sad news and my prayers are with family of the victims. Once again the gun laws need to be reviewed!!!!

Airline passengers are evacuated to the tarmac at Los Angeles International Airport. Photo: Reuters

"It's like a ghost town": Virgin Australia passenger Alexander Reid took this photo from the VA1 Boeing 777-300ER, which is sitting on the tarmac with 361 passengers on board. Photo: Alexander Reid

EK8413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

ikramerica

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 84):

The gun wasn't legal. Should it be made more super illegal?

What needs to be reviewed are the laws pertaining to mental illness and committal. The rise in mass shootings and homelessness are both results of the lack of laws allowing for forced treatment.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

opethfan

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 84):

Let's not make this into a firearms discussion. If criminologists with PhDs can't agree on the topic, we're sure as hell not going to get a pleasant consensus on a forum for aviation enthusiasts.

There are smart men and women with relevant educations publishing peer-reviewed articles with solid citations and evidence on both sides of the gun discussion. If anyone walks in claiming to have some kind of silver bullet (I'm really really sorry for the term) then I discount them immediately.

Let's keep this about aviation.

EK413

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:05 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 85):

Try explain it to the son, daughter, wife, mother or father who lost their loved one...

Back to the original discussion have they reopened LAX?

EK8413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

TwoFourLeft

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 87):
have they reopened LAX?

Somewhat. Airport employees and passengers are starting to walk back into the airport (a lot of them are walking up the roadway on the upper level, no cars yet). According to the press conference on the news right now, Terminal 3 and Parking Structure 3 will remain closed.

LAWA director said T3 airlines might be able to resume operations, but as a "bussing operation" until the terminal reopens.

[Edited 2013-11-01 16:27:40]

usairways85

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Terminal 6-8 reopened about 30 minutes ago.

It was a very chaotic scene around the LAX area, even 5-8 hours after the shooting.

Thousands of people all over the streets around LAX. Little direction for arriving paxs as to where to go. Thousands more were walking along the departure roadways to areas the general public could access for pickups, rental cars, etc.

Hundreds were surrounding Terminal 7 waiting for the terminal to reopen with police fighting to maintain order. The crowd edged closer and closer to the terminal entrance until they finally announced it was open and there was a rush into the terminal. Fortunately with precheck it only took me about 5 minutes to get back in.

[Edited 2013-11-01 17:19:05]

mariner

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:07 am

I'm sure there are numerous stories like this, but 350 Air New Zealand pax have been stuck in the aircraft for four hours after landing:

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/air-nz-...-tarmac-after-lax-shooting-5666947

"Air NZ flight remains on tarmac after LAX shooting"

Supposedly, buses are now on their way to them.

mariner
aeternum nauta

YYZatcboy

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:00 am

Lets hope this is a good enough excuse to avoid fines for tarmac delay  

RIP to the fallen TSA Agent. Lets hope they find out why this happened quickly.
DH1/3/4 MD11/88 L1011 A319/20/21/30/50/80 717 727 735/6/7/8/9 744 762/3 77E/W 788/789 E40/75/90 CRJ/700/705 CC150
J/S DH8D 736/7/8 763

ltbewr

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:13 am

This terror act - and that is what I call it - could have had other targets and killed many more. Recall the gun attack in 2002 at the TBIT at LAX targeting the EL AL check-in that killed several people.

To me there are 3 issues this terror event brings up:

1) Low priority of security as to entrances of airport terminal buildings. Perhaps we need those entering to go through a metal detector and spot checks of bags by security staff. A number or airports in the world have such or even stricter security on approach to airports or entering terminal buildings due to

2) Dealing better with the situation of the crowd control when such or other emergency events occur. Here 100's escaped onto the airport near moving and operating aircraft which presented serious security and injury risks. There needs to be better procedures in place to deal with such events to better protect people.

3) Improving the TSA and their procedures to make the staff less of a target for disgruntled people.

prosa

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:34 am

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 92):
To me there are 3 issues this terror event brings up:

1) Low priority of security as to entrances of airport terminal buildings. Perhaps we need those entering to go through a metal detector and spot checks of bags by security staff. A number or airports in the world have such or even stricter security on approach to airports or entering terminal buildings

Then a shooter would just open fire at that location. At some point you're going to have unscreened people congregating, whether that's at a checkpoint inside the terminal or at the terminal entrance. I suppose a shooter or especially a bomber might not do as much damage at an external checkpoint, but that's speculative.

People Express had the checkpoints at the entrances to its EWR terminal, so the idea's been tried.

Slcpilot

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:36 am

There is an abundance of false logic here in my opinion.

There is no conceivable gun law that stop random violence by either a crazy person or a person willing to give up their life. For whatever school/theater/airport terminal/sporting event defense you think of, a person intent on doing bad things will find a way.

You could make the USA into a total police state, and it still couldn't stop crazy, or a determined martyr.

You have to defeat the idiology (see factions of certain faiths) and media glamor (see crazy) that promotes it, and no amount of bombs/drone strikes/police/TSA will change this.

All that being said, it would seem to me each screening area at an airport as large as LAX would have an armed presence.

SLCPilot
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

FlyDeltaJets

Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:59 am

Quoting PITingres (Reply 71):

To say that screening does nothing is a foolish thought. While it is far from perfect it is definitely at the minimum a deterrent. It at the least makes people that want to do bad the the flying public have to work just a little harder. We tried the no security way and that lead to 100s of planes being hijacked for Cuba. This way at least for the most part works.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

opethfan

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:37 am

I'm sorry, did everyone gloss over the bit where I said
"even educated academics can't agree on this, so let's keep it on topic"?

If I wanted to hear terrible gun control logic I'd watch Piers Morgan reruns.

StuckInCA

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:46 am

Quoting johnboy (Reply 81):
Frankly I'm shocked that the moderators let that stay on this site

Meh. Someone else suggested this was an attempted hijacking. Apparently, anything goes around here now. Unless it might hurt someone's feelings.

heathrow

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:31 am

V oz will be operating from TBIT tomorrow apparently.

Condolences to the families of the victims.

skywaymanaz

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:41 am

I was a teenager when the Rome and Vienna airport attacks happened. It occurred to me then there is nothing in place to prevent that at our airports. It took almost 30 years to happen here but it could happen again tomorrow. After 9/11 the National Guard was initially stationed in several major airports with assault rifles. There were some media reports though alledging it was for show and they weren't allowed to have their weapon loaded. Short of that kind of aggressive armed presence there really isn't much to stop a nut. I wouldn't be surprised if the NG comes back, at least temporarily, in response. Even if the 2nd amendment somehow vanished tomorrow there are so many guns in this country you'd never guarantee this couldn't happen again. Unfortunately I think that won't stop some politicians at a funeral from posturing that for themselves and their agenda in the coming days. No doubt they'll be surrounded by an armed entourage. In the end it is incredibly hard to defend against a lone nut. All you can really do is try to limit the amount of damage they can inflict.

I've attacked the TSA a lot on this forum but mostly in how they do the job, and at times how they flat out don't. I've never felt the job shouldn't be done. It was a job I did briefly one summer fresh out of high school 15 years before the TSA. Unfortunately it is a necessary evil to have airport security. It would be nice to live in a world where we don't need standing armies and the police too but we don't live in that kind of a world and never really have. We should all continue to demand though that TSA does their job properly and with respect for the travelling public. Condolences to the victims and their families.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos