Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10DC10
Topic Author

TWA Flight Center: Diagrams?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:18 pm

I've tried searching the archives, as well as searching the internet, but I can't seem to find any vintage TWA Flight Center terminal maps or diagrams. I'm particularly interested in knowing what the gate arrangements were like in the 1970s and later. How many widebody aircraft could be accomodated at one time?

Any links or memories from those more experienced would be greatly appreciated.

WesternA318

RE: TWA Flight Center: Diagrams?

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:20 pm

Some OAG's from the mid-80's that I have have the gate assignments but thats about it...I'll have to go digging through my timetable collection and see if the airport diagrams were in there...

jfklganyc

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:21 pm

All of Flight Wing One (nearest Terminal 6) was able to accomodate 747s. One gate nearest the window in the central part of the terminal required reverse boarding from the normal service side.

I have seen 747s parked at the original concourse. That had to be a tight squeeze inside that tiny finger!

VC10DC10
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:38 pm

WesternA318, thanks so much in advance for any info you might be able to find!

jfklganyc, thanks! I've seen an archived thread here on a.net that referred to "Flight Wing One" as being "guitar shaped" with glass-walled passageways around the perimeter and a FIS facility beneath the boarding area, but that's all I've been able to find. Do you recall how many gates were on that wing?

spartanmjf

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:20 pm

This edition of Skyliner has a neat diagram of Flight Wing One.....

http://www.umkc.edu/whmckc/twa/TWASk...Skyliner1970/KC0453-1970.03.09.pdf
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

FoxBravo

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:48 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 2):
One gate nearest the window in the central part of the terminal required reverse boarding from the normal service side.

Yes, that was the only place I can recall using a jetway connected to the right-hand door of a 747 (or any other commercial aircraft, for that matter).

I have seen 747s parked at the original concourse. That had to be a tight squeeze inside that tiny finger!

I think--though I'm not 100% certain--I boarded a 747 to LAX there in the later years of TWA. I distinctly remember a lack of seating space for the number of passengers.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

TVNWZ

Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Quoting spartanmjf (Reply 4):

And interesting note on page one: Bob Crandall named Data Services VP! We probably should keep our eye on that lad.

FoxBravo

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 6):
And interesting note on page one: Bob Crandall named Data Services VP! We probably should keep our eye on that lad.

LOL--great catch!

VC10DC10
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Quoting spartanmjf (Reply 4):
This edition of Skyliner has a neat diagram of Flight Wing One.....

Thanks for finding this! So, according to that source, it looks like the original configuration allowed Flight Wing One to handle five 747s and two 707s. Was this configuration ever changed?

PITrules

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Quoting VC10DC10 (Thread starter):
I've tried searching the archives, as well as searching the internet, but I can't seem to find any vintage TWA Flight Center terminal maps or diagrams. I'm particularly interested in knowing what the gate arrangements were like in the 1970s and later.

This might be what you are looking for:

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu162/JDawgphoto/IMG_1881.jpg

Somewhat related, while searching for this topic I came across these cool renderings of a proposed modernization and consolidation of the two terminals for TWA. Looks like it would have been much more efficient than what they had.

http://www.perkinswill.com/sites/default/files/project-imagery/TWA_model_main1_0.jpg
http://www.perkinswill.com/sites/default/files/project-imagery/TWA_model_main2_0.jpg

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 5):
Yes, that was the only place I can recall using a jetway connected to the right-hand door of a 747 (or any other commercial aircraft, for that matter)

This topic comes up from time to time; there were several other places that had this. I know MEL was one.
FLYi

DL_Mech

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:04 am

Yes, that was the only place I can recall using a jetway connected to the right-hand door of a 747 (or any other commercial aircraft, for that matter).

Here's some video:

http://youtu.be/rRUJTheYTCc?t=3m29s
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Viscount724

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:13 am

One gate nearest the window in the central part of the terminal required reverse boarding from the normal service side.

There were others. The AC gates at YVR in the 1970s had at least one gate (possibly two) designed to board a 747 from both forward doors. Y class used one side and F class the other.

[Edited 2013-11-06 16:42:32]

jfklganyc

Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:33 am

The always glossed over TWA JFK modernization! Never saw the plans.

I believe this was around 1990.

Can a former employee shed some light on this?

I flew TWA until the bitter end.

T5 was awesome. But it was a sad, dark time warp. Flight wing one looked like Tomorrowland in Disney (this is what the future will look like but not really).

jetstar

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:20 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 12):

I flew TWA until the bitter end.

Same here, flew them until the day they became American Airlines.

I remember being on a TWA MD-80 still crewed by TWA employees flying as an AA flight, I asked one of the FA’s if they were TWA and she said in a not so pleasant manner that they were AA employees now. I told her that even though they are dressed like AA employees, in my mind they were still TWA people and she smiled and thanked me. Even during their worst time under Carl Ichan, TWA employees never took it out on their passengers,

And what a shock when I started flying on flights with AA employees, sour attitudes, nasty gate agents, often delayed flights, it was so bad that after 6 years flying AA I bailed out and switched over to Delta when Delta status matched me with the same elite level I had at AA, where I am in their million mile club.

To all you former TWA flight and gate personnel, you were the best, to bad you got the short end of the stick at AA, they could have learned a lot from you on how to treat customers the right way

JetStar

m11stephen

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:23 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 9):

Wow! I really wish B6 would have done something like this instead of needlessly tearing down all of T6 and Flight Wing One of T5.  

Also, I found it interesting that there was an underground moving walkway from the Flight Wing One customs area to the main Saarinen Terminal. Where exactly did the underground walkway come into the Saarinen terminal and how was it incorporated into the main terminal?
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

jfklganyc

Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:46 am

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 14):

Wow! I really wish B6 would have done something like this instead of needlessly tearing down all of T6 and Flight Wing One of T5.

Flight Wing One was a dump. A 1970s dump. TWA did nothing with it. T6 could have been worked with. B6 had it looking decent.

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 14):
o, I found it interesting that there was an underground moving walkway from the Flight Wing One customs area to the main Saarinen Terminal. Where exactly did the underground walkway come into the Saarinen terminal and how was it incorporated into the main terminal?

Never saw a photo and it is NEVER talked about on here! It came up near the baggage claim area.

Someone must have something more re: TWAs underground JFK walkway!

FoxBravo

Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 15):

Never saw a photo and it is NEVER talked about on here! It came up near the baggage claim area.

Someone must have something more re: TWAs underground JFK walkway!

I only took a couple of international flights on TWA into JFK, but I vaguely recall claiming bags in the customs area, going through customs, then putting them back on a belt in order to reclaim them in the regular baggage claim area--can anyone confirm this?

TVNWZ

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Quoting jetstar (Reply 13):
TWA employees never took it out on their passengers,

My Mileage varried. Some of my worst interactions were with TWA employees. The worst (but most entertaining) was with a CSA in STL who was in a heated debate with her supervisor about overtime at the podium. I asked what she, apparently, considered a stupid question and got the tongue lashing of my life! Funny today, but off putting then.

In fairness, though, some of the best moments in the air have been on TWA. I still miss the airline.

nomadic

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 16):
I only took a couple of international flights on TWA into JFK, but I vaguely recall claiming bags in the customs area, going through customs, then putting them back on a belt in order to reclaim them in the regular baggage claim area--can anyone confirm this?

You are correct. After clearing customs, luggage was placed on a belt next to the moving walkway that connected Flight Wing One with the main terminal. For most of the way you could see your luggage until it moved up a ramp and was deposited at a domestic carousel. The underground walkway came up into the main terminal through a area created when the building was expanded in 1970. At the same time Flight Wing One was built, the original baggage claim was more than doubled in size with several, much larger carousels added to the originals. The original carousels were among the first in the industry but what I remember most about them was how SMALL the entire baggage claim area was. Even after it was expanded it was very cramped. Things got crazy when 3 or 4 747s arrived from Europe and California at the same time.

m11stephen

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:19 pm

What happened to the underground tunnel when flight wing one was demolished? Is it somehow connected to the new JetBlue terminal?
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos