Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N353SK

RE: ORD Runway Configuration

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:25 am

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 43):
Naturally, it would be done by the aircraft that would not be airborne before 28C. Most carriers probably rotate near the Post Office so wake turbulence would not be a factor in the least. Common sense should be used.

Common sense says that as a pilot paid by the minute I'm probably better off waiting two minutes than trying to figure out where on the runway I'm going to become airborne.

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 45):
Although there are approach lights for 32R, I have never once seen it used for landings

32R is sometimes used from about midnight to 5AM for landings. I'm not sure how often.

jetblastdubai

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 49):
Then how do DFW and ATL do it?

They do it by taking planes off the RNAV routes and do the old fashioned vectoring.

Why would you assign a SID that everyone knows the pilot cannot fly due to weather? With a radar vector SID, the controller has far more flexibility in tweaking the flight path in good or bad weather as well as finding short cuts when traffic permits. If traffic does permit, nothing is stopping an ORD departure from an unrestricted climb. With RNAV SIDs you have a pre-determined route and pre-determined climb points etc...very conservative and not necessarily the most efficient. Much like driving a 6-lane freeway and not being able to change lanes even though another lane might be faster.

Chicago has about 25 satellite airports in area that need to mix their traffic into the ORD flow as well. This requires a lot of s-turning, speed adjustments and altitude step-ups in the departure areas which would also make the RNAV departures ineffective in many cases.

With the vector SID, the controller can vector the flight over the exact same route the plane might fly on an RNAV SID but he'd be much more likely to find a short cut. I don't know if the ATL/DFW/CLT departure guys do much vectoring on departure or if they mostly leave planes on the SIDs.

Quoting apodino (Reply 49):
Again, with the need of departures to avoid the missed approach areas

You're not protecting for missed approaches in VFR weather...you're avoiding the areas where the arrivals descend from 7,000' on the downwinds. Go-arounds and missed approaches are dealt with on an individual basis as separation standards are different.

Instead of suggesting that ORD go to RNAV SIDs, why not suggest that ATL, DFW and CLT go to a vector SID? Tunneling might not be the most efficient for an individual aircraft but the procedures at ORD are set up to be the most efficient for the overall operation and not individual aircraft. Arrival capacity has always been the biggest challenge for ORD and the procedures are built around optimizing that part of the operation. Everything else is built around the arrivals out of necessity.

Quoting N353SK (Reply 50):
Common sense says that as a pilot paid by the minute I'm probably better off waiting two minutes than trying to figure out where on the runway I'm going to become airborne.

No one is suggesting that pilots should always request a waiver but it's an option that is available that many might not be aware of. If you're making decisions on how you operate your aircraft based on your paycheck, I have nothing left to add.

mcg

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Quoting airfinair (Reply 16):
The reason USG is still good is solely for spotting purposes,

Where is USG? Thanks in advance.

sovietjet

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:47 pm

Quoting mcg (Reply 52):
Where is USG? Thanks in advance.

The intersection of Lawrence and Mannheim. There is a big parking lot and building on the northeast corner of that intersection.

airfinair

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:49 pm

http://goo.gl/maps/V60Gw

I usually park on Scott St. as its a public street. In the 20+ years I have been spotting here I have never once been approached by security or police. (Once I was spotting around lunch time on a weekday, and I saw a woman pull up behind another car, get out of her car and into the other car. The other car was rocking and rolling in a matter of minutes, and twenty minutes later the woman got out and drove away in her car. The driver of the other car, a man, glanced over at me and smiled and then drove away too. But that's a trip report for another day...)
ORD,MDW,IND,ARB,AMS,FRA,AUS,ANQ,DTW,DEN,PHL,PIT,MIA,GPT,SAN,PHX,LAX,SFO,OAK,SEA,LAS,SLC,SMF,ATL,MEM,BOS,MHT,JFK,EWR,LGA,NAS,SAT,MSY,DFW,AUS,IAD,GCM,RSW,PHL,CLT,

bcoz

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:24 pm

Random observation: Flew in a week ago Saturday from SEA on AS26. We flew a BULLZ arrival but landed on 28C (keep in mind that there was very, very minimal traffic at this point on a Saturday night) We exited at, I believe P2 or P1....then taxied back on P all the way to GG before crossing 28R (so the SOP as indicated above) and heading to AS's gate at L1.

Have to say that I am going to miss calls of REKKS, RIDGE and WILLT while listening to LiveATC.

bcoz

Lexy

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:40 pm

Quoting airfinair (Reply 54):

I usually park on Scott St. as its a public street. In the 20+ years I have been spotting here I have never once been approached by security or police. (Once I was spotting around lunch time on a weekday, and I saw a woman pull up behind another car, get out of her car and into the other car. The other car was rocking and rolling in a matter of minutes, and twenty minutes later the woman got out and drove away in her car. The driver of the other car, a man, glanced over at me and smiled and then drove away too. But that's a trip report for another day...)

I laughed out loud! Thank you!
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos