jetsetterusa
Topic Author

Will We Ever See TIJ To USA?

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Since TIJ is so close to SAN I can see why no airlines fly there! BUT do you think we will ever see any us airlines fly to TIJ?
Crazy Day Tripper

MIflyer12

RE: Will We Ever See TIJ To USA?

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:10 pm

There are some strong economic factors against it: U.S. & Mexican customs and inspection fees that aren't payable with land border crossings.

Check out the taxes/fees for DFW-SJD, per ITA Matrix:

US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $4.50
US International Departure Tax (US) $17.20
US International Arrival Tax (US) $17.20
Mexican Tourist Tax (UK) $22.65
Mexico Airport Departure Tax (XD) $22.66
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
total $104.21

RobertS975

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 pm

I asked this same question years ago. I suspect the answers will be the same. Delta did try some TIJ-LAX connection service a few years back.

http://ww.airliners.net/aviation-for...eneral_aviation/read.main/3043197/

Also is the plans is a bridge from TIJ to the US side of the border. The airport actually straddles the border in case anyone didn't know.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...port-terminal-bridge-construction/

[Edited 2013-11-09 12:15:55]

[Edited 2013-11-09 12:16:21]

wedgetail737

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:36 pm

There have been several attempts at TIJ-USA routes. As far back as I can remember, AM flew LAX-TIJ using a DC-9-30 (I flew that route). Then Air LA flew LAX-TIJ using Metroliners and Jetstreams.

Also, Allegro Air and Volaris have flown OAK-TIJ.

Volaris has reapplied for this route authority.

SANFan

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Quoting jetsetterusa (Thread starter):
do you think we will ever see any us airlines fly to TIJ?

IMO, simple answer is, "why"? I've mentioned this before (and recently) on similar discussions and wonder exactly why any US carrier would want to fly to Rodriguez Airport?

Flying from somewhere in the US directly to TIJ becomes an int'l flight (see reply 1) with cost and inconvenience -- starting with customs and immigration requirements -- being the major drawbacks. SAN (and LAX of course) see service to all the US hubs, and more, so anyone in the northern Baja area desiring to fly to anywhere in the U.S. or Canada can do it just fine by crossing the border and departing from one of the many So Cal airports.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I sure don't see Tijuana or anywhere in Northern Baja as being a "destination" that cries for nonstop service from anywhere in North America except Mexico.

I just can't think of any reason why any US carrier would have any reason to serve TIJ. (Keep in mind that SAN's Lindbergh Field is just about 30 miles from Rodgirquez Airport.)

bb

[email protected]

Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:33 pm

Maybe SAN and TIJ could be combined as a similar type of border airport as EuroAirport Basle/Mulhouse/Freiburg, the airport of mainly Basel, Switzerland but which straddles the borders of France, Germany and Switzerland most of the airport sits in France.

Not something I seriously think is possible in the current US/Mexico relations, but maybe a sensible option for the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroAir...%E2%80%93Mulhouse%E2%80%93Freiburg
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue." Steven McCroskey, Airplane!

reality

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:35 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 5):
Maybe SAN and TIJ could be combined as a similar type of border airport as EuroAirport

Well, TIJ does not straddle the border. It is entirely on the Mexico side of the border. And that's the whole point of the bridge mentioned above:

"Also is the plans is a bridge from TIJ to the US side of the border.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...rt-terminal-bridge-construction/"

Viscount724

Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:08 am

Quoting jetsetterusa (Thread starter):
Since TIJ is so close to SAN I can see why no airlines fly there! BUT do you think we will ever see any us airlines fly to TIJ?
Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 3):
There have been several attempts at TIJ-USA routes. As far back as I can remember, AM flew LAX-TIJ using a DC-9-30 (I flew that route).

On AM I think TIJ was always an intermediate stop to/from various other points in Mexico. Can see the multi-stop routings from their January 1972 timetable here. At that time they had 14 DC-9s a week LAX-TIJ..
http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/am/am72/am72-02.jpg

AM777LR

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:24 am

Y4 applied for TIJ-SJC/OAK IIRC. I can't seem to find the thread as I am posting from a mobile device.

usctrojan18

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:18 am

The only profitable USA to TIJ link would be on either AM or Volaris who would provide connections from Inner Mexico to LA or Central CA through TIJ. There is little O&D from TIJ to the US, because almost all people who want to fly to the US from TIJ either fly through SAN or just take a bus. However, there are many people who fly from inner Mexico to CA. However, most of those passenger fly through GDL or MEX, but if Y4 or AM was to add more connections through TIJ, then there would be some demand for US flights from TIJ. But, no one on the San Diego side of the border would ever fly from TIJ just to come back to the US and few people in TJ would fly to the US too.
Hopefully the TIJ-OAK and TIJ-SJC routes get approved and actually have better flight times so there would be more connection opportunities and because TIJ is any airport prepared for International flights, but will rarely see any thanks to being less than 500 ft from the US.

Also another possibility is MEX-TIJ-HNL on AM or something  

DesertAir

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:00 pm

I do see one possible route: Las Vegas-Tijuana on Volaris. I was in Hermosillo a week ago and noticed the arrival of a flight on AM Connect from Las Vegas. I also noticed an American Eagle arrival from Los Angeles.

commavia

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 3):
There have been several attempts at TIJ-USA routes. As far back as I can remember, AM flew LAX-TIJ using a DC-9-30 (I flew that route). Then Air LA flew LAX-TIJ using Metroliners and Jetstreams.

I'm pretty sure Aero California also used to fly LAX-TIJ once a day with a DC9; I think AA codeshared on it when they had their partnership with JR.

sr117

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:25 pm

I don't see much of a point for US airlines to serve TIJ while SAN is so close, however, Y4 could definitely take advantage of their growing operation here at TIJ; after MEX we're now the airport with the biggest number of domestic destinations, soon clocking in a 29 domestic airports, however, these are mostly spread out throughout the day so that makes connections a bit more complicated.

EddieDude

Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:00 pm

The pedestrian bridge linking the terminal building with U.S. territory is coming soon. I would not discard TIJ-U.S. service in a few years.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

BNAOWB

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:23 pm

So, are MTY, HMO, and CUU currently the 3 closest Mexican airports to the U.S. border that have flights to the U.S.?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos