Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

geg2rap
Topic Author

DL Confirms S14 ATL-RAP Flights

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:41 am

The merger mania was supposed to hurt small cities like RAP, but since the DL-NW merger, RAP has seen
AA add DFW and seasonal ORD.
UA add seasonal ORD and IAH.(Rumors of seasonal EWR)
Thoughts?
http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/loc...1-0fdd-5428-afe3-19b62c58fd66.html

N62NA

RE: DL Confirms S14 ATL-RAP Flights

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:52 am

Good to see a small city get additional service!

BNAOWB

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:00 pm

Does RAP attract a decent number of inbound tourists by air to Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills (and possibly the Sturgis motorcycle rally)? If so, I'm wondering whether this weekly, summer ATL-RAP nonstop could be classified as a similar route to ATL-JAC/MSO/FCA/BZN. Or, will this new route have more in common with the upcoming ATL-FAR route which presumably has little to do with inbound tourism to Fargo (no offense to that city)?

crAAzy

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Am I reading this correctly? Once daily Sat service only?

RobertS975

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Quoting crAAzy (Reply 3):
Am I reading this correctly? Once daily Sat service only?

I generally find that a Saturday only flight is just about useless. And it is on an RJ to boot. If you want to fly Delta to RAP, you are better off with the MSP options.

doug_or

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Quoting BNAOWB (Reply 2):
and possibly the Sturgis motorcycle rally)

Can't speak for the others, but when Sturgis was going on you didn't need to wait for the passengers to line up to tell who was going to RAP in the boarding area in SLC.
When in doubt, one B pump off

BoeingMerica

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Wouldn't most attendees prefer to ride their own motorcycle to the rally? Also, while it may boost demand to RAP...that's one or two weeks a year. Additional service to meet the demand would be added, if necessary, before seasonal or year long service would be added. This is probably more about utilizing planes better and feel they can adequately fill the plane.

What's the travel time between RAP and Mount Rushmore? Is it the closest commercial airport to Mt. rushmore?

Great news for RAP and DL.

BoeingMerica
I like my Barack like I like my vegetables, I hate vegetables

adamh8297

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Quoting BoeingMerica (Reply 6):
What's the travel time between RAP and Mount Rushmore? Is it the closest commercial airport to Mt. rushmore?

Yes it is.

45 minutes to Rushmore.
45 to Sturgis.
1 hr to Deadwood.

Quoting geg2rap (Thread starter):
(Rumors of seasonal EWR)

Top Ten Markets from RAP in PDEW June 2013

PHX/AZA - 43
LAS - 37
WAS - 30
MSP - 26
DAL - 26
DEN - 24
NYC -23
LA - 22
MCO - 18
CHI -15

Seasonal EWR is probably a stretch. I'm surprised at the low CHI number as well.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

MSPNWA

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Cool for RAP to get this flight. Rapid City and the Black Hills are like a second home to me. But I really scratch my head as to why this flight will exist. It's Saturday-only, and that's a long flight on a CR7. I don't see how this can compete with DFW/ORD for southeastern U.S. connections. Oh well, not my money on the line.

Not only the closest, but basically your only choice if you want to fly to the Black Hills.

zkeoj

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:54 pm

Quoting roberts975 (Reply 4):
you are better off with the MSP options.

This is on CRJ200 as well, isn't it? I just booked LAX-MSP-RAP and back, and both MSP-RAP and RAP-MSP are on CRJ200....

Does RAP attract a decent number of inbound tourists by air to Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills

It did attract me! Always wanted to see Mt Rushmore, and got a really good special to LAX on NZ, and then booked onward flights on miles with DL  

Cheers
micha

RushmoreAir

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:14 am

Does RAP attract a decent number of inbound tourists by air to Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills (and possibly the Sturgis motorcycle rally)?

Yup! More than 50% of traffic at RAP is from travelers - mostly tourists - originating elsewhere. RAP is within a two-hour drive of 6 national parks and monuments (the most famous, of course, being Mt. Rushmore) that collectively attract more than 4 million tourists annually.

Wouldn't most attendees prefer to ride their own motorcycle to the rally?

More fly than you would think! Many bikers, especially those experienced attendees, realize that while the scenery in the Black Hills is pretty magical, the 5+ hours of semi-boring driving to get here by road is not as attractive. During the rally, RAP even has a section of the parking lot cordoned off which is filled with rows of semi trailers filled with the motorcycles of arriving bikers.

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 7):
45 minutes to Rushmore.

It can be done in 32 min curb to curb   In fact, you can see the faces of Mt. Rushmore from RWY 14-32 if you have binoculars and know where to look.

Quoting zkeoj (Reply 9):
This is on CRJ200 as well, isn't it? I just booked LAX-MSP-RAP and back, and both MSP-RAP and RAP-MSP are on CRJ200....

RAP-MSP is served with mix of MD90s and CR2s, with the occasional E170 or A319.
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc

zkeoj

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:43 am

Quoting RushmoreAir (Reply 10):
RAP-MSP is served with mix of MD90s and CR2s, with the occasional E170 or A319.

Bugger! DL's reward booking didn't give me any option other than the CRJs. Would have loved the MD90s  

geg2rap
Topic Author

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:01 am

During Rally time, DL especially, upgauges service. 5-6 MD90's last year and 1 A319.
I made a killing in HS running people from the airport to the semi with their bike. The tips were out of this world. Execs have to have their time to play too!

BoeingMerica

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:48 pm

Quoting RushmoreAir (Reply 10):
More fly than you would think! Many bikers, especially those experienced attendees, realize that while the scenery in the Black Hills is pretty magical, the 5+ hours of semi-boring driving to get here by road is not as attractive. During the rally, RAP even has a section of the parking lot cordoned off which is filled with rows of semi trailers filled with the motorcycles of arriving bikers.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I didn't realize people brought their bikes in by trailer. While I am sure the bike ride through the hills is fun, I figured what also inspired people to bring their bikes was the fact that it was a bike rally and as most bikers treat their rides like their baby, I figured that they would want to bring them and show them off in the rally.

BoeingMerica
I like my Barack like I like my vegetables, I hate vegetables

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos