Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

holzmann
Topic Author

How Cool Is The Airplane Of The Future? (CNN)

Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:03 am

Sorry if this is a repost...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/24/opinio...of-the-future/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Editor's note: Bastian Schaefer is innovation manager in the Airbus Cabin Innovation Strategy & Concepts department. Within the Airbus Concept Cabin project he was responsible for the ideas that have been the basis for the final industrial design of Concept Cabin's radical approach.
DISCLAIMER: Airliners.net is an AIRBUS forum. Boeing Commercial Airplanes, if it has considered doing so in the past, should in no way consider supporting this website.

mayor

RE: How Cool Is The Airplane Of The Future? (CNN)

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:53 am

I remember them talking about the "cockpit of the future"........it would have a dog and a pilot in it. The pilot to sit there and look at everything and the dog to bite him if he touched anything.     
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Q

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:31 am

People on ground when the plane goes down and people ground can see through large windows to see how passengers reaction screaming inside cabin. LOL! I doubt it will not fly like this. The pressurization will explode windows.

Q

Aeri28

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:41 am

One word : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y2Hn1HuXc4 1968's vision of the future..

Seriously though, it s always great for soneone to 'project' the future , but I think rarely does that ever turn out. It is necessary to dream though and conjure up ways that we can only imagine for else we/d still be flying in Clippers.

ozglobal

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:56 am

This clip was shown about two years ago and posted on this forum. Looks like a lot of technology for its own sake, unrealistically stuffed into a not-going-to-happen setting plan.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

N62NA

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:44 pm

The airplane of the future for the vast majority of us participating in this forum and who will live to normal life expectancy is:

737MAX / A320NEO / 777X / A350

Sad that the pace of innovation has pretty much come to a standstill.

trent1000

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:54 pm

Yep, that is an old story There are better/clearer videos but without sound of the concept online if you search for future cabin design.

georgiaame

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm

An unemployed Euro's aeronautical wet dream. With emphasis on the dream part. Okay, reality check. Consider Ryan Air. Highly successful airline that specializes in flying sardine cans, still trying to install pay toilets. I don't think my great grandchildren will have 36" if leg room, although harvesting their body heat is kind of cool, if that isn't an oxymoron. I love the Star Trek transparent aluminum fuselage - but alas, transparent aluminum won't be invented for another 2 centuries. I saw that in a film. And I really loved the A390's seating: 18 up front (business class?) and 59 in future steerage. Apparently they still haven't figured out that poor window seat passenger still has to climb over two breathing humans, on his way to the futuristic toilet. No, I'm not going there... I guess when fuel is extracted from either a coal mine or an ocean, the economics will be flawless to make a long distance 77 seater profitable. It wasn't mentioned, but I'm assuming this is at least a Mach 6 hypersonic jetliner. I wouldn't consider setting foot in the Boeing M5 aircraft, totally below my dignity. My friends, we will be flying sub sonic/transonic tubes, twin engined, for a very, very long time to come. But, wet dreams are indeed fun... Have to run, I've got an AF 773 to catch on my way to FCO. The technology might be terribly 20th century, but the champagne and meal service up front is lovely (the not so lie flat seats, well, no one is perfect). And really, even though my grandparents thought very little about flying from New York to Florida for a holiday, they could never have imagined that their grandchildren could fly from North America to Europe for an extended weekend... Happy Holidays everyone, be safe, and just enjoy where you are today.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

oly720man

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 5):
Sad that the pace of innovation has pretty much come to a standstill.

Aerodynamically, a tube with wings is the most efficient design for most missions and is stretchable/shrinkable so it suits manufacturers to use that design. We aren't going to see anything different anytime soon.

Most innovation these days generally isn't seen, it's either in materials or systems.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

Oroka

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:39 am

New shapes will come eventually like this airbus concept or the boeing BWB. yes you can change the tube and wing materials, come up with more efficient engines... but that is it, eventually that will come to an end. new shapes can be fielded in combination with new materials.

I had hoped that boeings Sonic Cruiser would make production, but I had always suspected it was a cover for something else... which eventually became the 787. Boeing wanted a head start on Airbus with a next gen twin, so they used a fantasy program that no one would take seriously.