Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

iahcsr
Topic Author

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:03 am

So..... Which will it be? .. And why?
Either way one can only hope it goes better than UA's somewhat less than smooth transition ..
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

silentbob

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:08 am

They have said Sabre will be the system. Fewer people to train and a lot of older US employees are still familiar with it.

mhkansan

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:09 am

If they are smart, they'll use AA's SABRE. Lots of the pmUS people remember SABRE, too. My friends at US hate how Shares has to 'talk' back to the GDS before they can do anything. Nothing automatically associates. RS allows all sorts of manipulation and is multi-layered. AA's BMAS system is in RES, too. It's not easy to learn but, from somebody who knew nothing of it two years ago, I love using it today.

All of the operational side of things for AA goes on in DECS. Its great that we can use one system for the whole operation, including separate partitions for operating AA and MQ flights on the same computer and dispatching network.

I'm sure the bean-counters at the new AA will base their decision on money in the end. It will depend on what kind of bids the new airline gets from whichever GDS. I'm sure SABRE will give AA a sweet deal to have the whole, merged airline on it's systems, though. God I sure hope so!

smi0006

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:11 am

Is this the same Saber VA and PR use? If so it would have to be one of the most painful and least intuative systems to use, unless AA use the 'Native' format. As a ground handler I'm trained on six different systems and would easily say Sabre is the most abysmal system. Maybe it's okay for reservations functions, but appalling for gate and check-in. I'm an enormous fan of Amadeus's Altea, has any US airline adopted this system yet? Is the choice simply between Shares and Sabre? I know QF loves Altea, and it was jointly designed BA and QF with Amadeus, so surely a package could be easily developed for AA?

Normally take only three to four days to cross train. Whilst old fashioned, bring me the good old Winbabs of QR and BA or EKs MACS. Even the Chinese and MHs basic TravelSky beats Sabre.

mhkansan

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:20 am

Yeah, AA is native SABRE on the front lines. There are overlaid, GUI permutations of it at the reservation centers.

RWA380

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:50 pm

From a travel agent stand point only, I trained on Sabre, and ended my nearly 30 year career on Sabre. In the middle, most of my time was spent on Apollo, but I used PARS, Worldspan, System One, and I liked Sabre the best
Lots of extra ticketing functions, phase IVs were easy, and there was easier ability to manipulate certain things when nessisary, like TC boxes or IT boxes. Sabre should be the one that stays. My 2 cents from the T/A side.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

N328KF

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 3):
Is this the same Saber VA and PR use?

Considering SABRE originated at AA, yes.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

apodino

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Quoting mhkansan (Reply 2):

All of the operational side of things for AA goes on in DECS. Its great that we can use one system for the whole operation, including separate partitions for operating AA and MQ flights on the same computer and dispatching network.

Of note, US uses DECS too for their operational stuff too. DECS isn't going anywhere, and because US and AA use similar systems here, I imagine that side of things will be a relatively smooth transition.

SABRE RES is almost certainly going to stick around. One thing to note is that prior to US cutting over to Shares, there was a QIK overlay for Sabre that was used by US employees to get used to the interface. The older US employees will remember Sabre and will have little trouble transitioning back, but for some of the newer employees, they could use the QIK overlay in a transitional period while they get comfortable with native Sabre again.

I'm sure the bean-counters at the new AA will base their decision on money in the end. It will depend on what kind of bids the new airline gets from whichever GDS. I'm sure SABRE will give AA a sweet deal to have the whole, merged airline on it's systems, though. God I sure hope so!

I think the bean counters may have some say, but Doug Parker is no dummy and he saw what happened when UA listened to the bean counters and went with Shares instead of Apollo. Even many Wall Street analysts have said that you should always go with the res system of the larger airline, as it is usually a more stable platform. Remember what happened when US cut over to shares years ago? It was a disaster at first. Ditto with UA going to Shares. However, DL's transition to their res system was so seamless, I can't even tell you when it happened, because they accomplished it just that smoothly.

N1120A

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:37 pm

They already announced they will use SABRE.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

OB1504

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:27 am

Thank goodness. I've heard SHARES is a mess by comparison.

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the reservations system, but I constantly get passengers involuntarily rerouted from UA and when I open the PNR, I see anywhere between 3 and 20 (!) unconfirmed segments on a flight for which we have 0 availability, yet UA is showing HK on their end.

Long live SABRE!

WesternA318

New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:22 am

Since they announced it was going to be Sabre, I can let the rest of my troops breathe a sigh of relief, they were scared AA would go over to whatever US was using. all of us in office use Sabre anyways, and it makes things easier when we all use the same system. Yeehaw, long live Sabre!

willzzz88

RE: New AA Sabre Or Shares?

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:03 am

Not being familiar with the travel industry IT side of things, which is easier to integrate into a gates computer system?

Especially the foreign airports (I've read) that use technologically advanced CUTE systems (mostly from SITA and ARINC). I've read that at airports with a CUTE system there is simply an "app" that rides on the airports CUTE "cloud" from the back-end server that has an interface to each airline (in this case AA's Sabre).

hondah35

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:40 am

It has always amazed me how an industry that is so technologically advanced in many areas thinks it is perfectly reasonable that the primary candidate for the operating/resevations system of what will probably be the country's largest airline was first penciled out on a cocktail napkin back in 1959.

malaysia

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:24 am

Do they still have the Sabre servers in a facility that might be able to defend itself from a Nuclear attack?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

tyler81190

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:25 am

including separate partitions for operating AA and MQ flights on the same computer and dispatching network.

I for one love SHARES... It too has the ability to house separate partitions for different uses at least in the Native function. If I remember correctly, US uses a GUI overlay. US cargo has used SABRE for quite a while until switching to LH's system for cargo. I have used SABRE many times, and I do like it, but it just seems to me like SHARES functions better.

To a note, UA and CM both use shares and have access to the other's system. SHARES can handle just about anything you can throw at it.

As far as integrating the RES systems, I see few ways around a fiasco.

The reason UA went with SHARES is because CO owned it, and could make any and all changes it wanted for very little cost. APOLLO was a third party system with massive admin fees and little flexibility.

Just my 2 cents

T

usxguy

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:17 am

Actually, there are a variety of "versions' of Sabresonic Res. Not all airlines use it the same - be it Virgin America, Hawaiian, Frontier, Mesa, American, etc. AA has *all* of the bells and whistles, whereas Virgin America has a very watered down version. Even Mesa's version of Sabresonic is fairly good.
xx

usdcaguy

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:14 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 7):
However, DL's transition to their res system was so seamless, I can't even tell you when it happened, because they accomplished it just that smoothly.

The transition happened so smoothly if only because many of the former NW stations had already outsourced, so they mostly just had to train staff at the former NW hubs and major stations. In addition, Pars and Deltamatic share the same Worldspan pricing functionality, so that part of it did not have to be relearned. One thing I have heard, however, is that Deltamatic can be much slower than SABRE. It also does not have the seamless link with other carrier inventory (outside of its partners) as other carriers who are hosted by a GDS have. By and large, it's very hard to beat SABRE due to its speed and functionality, including BMAS; I think AA would be smart to keep it.

TSS

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:57 pm

Quoting HONDAH35 (Reply 12):
It has always amazed me how an industry that is so technologically advanced in many areas thinks it is perfectly reasonable that the primary candidate for the operating/resevations system of what will probably be the country's largest airline was first penciled out on a cocktail napkin back in 1959.

You find it amazing that the people who conceived and designed SABRE got it right the first time by keeping it simple, making it stable, and leaving room for future additions and improvements so the entire system wouldn't have to be scrapped after a few years?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Maverick623

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:45 pm

Quoting willzzz88 (Reply 11):
Not being familiar with the travel industry IT side of things, which is easier to integrate into a gates computer system?

When Shares was loaded onto the "East" network, it was an unmitigated disaster, and there's been about one unscheduled outage a year since.

When Sabre was loaded onto the "West" network for aircraft dispatching, there were zero issues, and it's gone down once since then.

Just a personal data point.

Quoting HONDAH35 (Reply 12):

Who cares about that hokey futuristic crap? It's simple and reliable, yet highly customizable.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

tyler81190

Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 am

Quoting willzzz88 (Reply 11):
Especially the foreign airports (I've read) that use technologically advanced CUTE systems (mostly from SITA and ARINC). I've read that at airports with a CUTE system there is simply an "app" that rides on the airports CUTE "cloud" from the back-end server that has an interface to each airline (in this case AA's Sabre).

Theoretically, there would be no implementation issues with any system, as the system would be loaded on to the computer and simply connected with the servers, printers, etc...

The real issues come when the airline's IT people make an error, when an airport's infrastructure does not have the correct connectivity, or other unforeseen issues.

lutfi

Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:25 am

AA cancelled Jetstream (the project with HP to develop a new system) HP have now linked up with Travelsky.

If I had to guess, I would say AA will remain with SABRE, but re-open discussions with Amadeus. Altea, in almost all areas, is better than the TPS based systems like Sabre/ Shares etc.

TBYO787

Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:44 am

Being an all live Pars/System one/Amadeus user and after 6 months using Sabre got to the conclusion that Amadeus is more advanced, faster, reliable, less complicated and more user friendly that Sabre.
Using Sabre is getting into Long and meaningless format, complicated tasks and making live complicated when just by ALT + TAB you have the most easy, simple to use system to work: Amadeus.
Besides that sometimes you may find better fare on Sabre, still complicated and we are going to use it as reference only.
Long live AMADEUS

My two cents,

TBYO787