Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

miaintl
Topic Author

How Is TK Preforming On IAH-IST?

Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:23 am

How is TK preforming on the IAH route? I heard the yields are poor and that Istanbul is not a very big market to Houston. However I think the UA feed helped it go 6x weekly.

jetblastdubai

RE: How Is TK Preforming On IAH-IST?

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:04 pm

I don't know what the overall yields are but I was considring taking TK, in economy comfort from DXB-IAH in Feb. It looked like a great ride in a really nice cabin and the price was only $400 more than an economy ticket on UA. Problem is, I would have had to buy an additional UA ticket from IAH to my home and that was an additional $500 RT so I decided to just take my chances of buying the ($600+35,000 miles) upgrade to a sleeper seat in Business on UA. The economy comfort cabin on TK isn't that big but it's a very good deal for a paying pax if they can take advantage of it. They can't be making much money on that cabin.

It takes me 46 hours and 4 legs to get home and breakng it up between 3 different airlines makes it quite risky if any part of the trip gets disrupted. UA and TK don't code share on IST-IAH so I'd have to do separte tickets. My first leg has EK as the only option with a 9-hour layover in DXB.

Nimish

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Very anecdotal, but some folks from our HQ in Houston have switched to flying on TK to cities like FRA/CDG etc. - because the flights are substantially cheaper than the options from UA/ LH/ AF! The feedback from their flights is good, but the Y+ is supposed to be a desert town, with Y reasonably filled up. Earning full status miles on UA is the reason these folks are happy with the arrangement.
Incredible India!

ytz

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 2):
Very anecdotal, but some folks from our HQ in Houston have switched to flying on TK to cities like FRA/CDG

Wow. Talk about backtrack.

LAXintl

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:55 pm

Loads quite good (81.6% LF throught October), yields not so.

Its the process of building market share and awareness.

Quoting YTZ (Reply 3):

Believe it or not its quite common. Had someone recently fly to Madrid from LAX via IST. Fares and product make it worthwhile for some folks.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

thomasphoto60

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:59 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 4):
Loads quite good (81.6% LF throught October), yields not so.

How do the yields compare to their other US markets?
"Show me the Braniffs"

Nimish

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:16 am

Quoting YTZ (Reply 3):

Believe it or not its quite common. Had someone recently fly to Madrid from LAX via IST. Fares and product make it worthwhile for some folks.

Exactly - though it's approx 50% longer to fly IAH-CDG via IST (as opposed to non-stop), the non-stop on UA is often more expensive than the one-stop via IST. Hence FFPs get more miles, better on-board product, and most importantly - the ability to stick within *A (rather than take a cheaper non-*A option).
Incredible India!

stlgph

Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:37 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 3):

No kidding, but I love Turkish and I'd do it.
I've seen then pop up fares out of Kennedy to such places as Berlin, Paris, London, Stockholm, Oslo, etc. for much less than taking a nonstop for next spring and summer. I've considered doing it and tossing in a night in Istanbul again ... such a fun place.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ytz

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 7):
No kidding, but I love Turkish and I'd do it.

Maybe if I got Comfort Class. Love TK for Comfort Class.

Quoting stlgph (Reply 7):
I've considered doing it and tossing in a night in Istanbul again ... such a fun place.

Oh yeah. For sure. What a beautiful and historic city.

SATexan

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:02 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 6):
the non-stop on UA is often more expensive than the one-stop via IST.

UA no longer flies IAH-CDG non stop. They discontinued that flight about the same time as LH upgraded their IAH-FRA to A380

AF flies IAH-CDG non stop..

IrishAyes

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:16 pm

Very anecdotal, but some folks from our HQ in Houston have switched to flying on TK to cities like FRA/CDG etc. - because the flights are substantially cheaper than the options from UA/ LH/ AF!

And one would ever wonder why LH dropped the codeshare with TK!   

The feedback from their flights is good, but the Y+ is supposed to be a desert town, with Y reasonably filled up.

Which is unfortunate. Having flown ORD-IST-ORD recently, I can assure you I would have gladly paid $400 to upgrade to Y+. While the YCL product on TK is not bad by any means, by hour 6 on a 12h flight, your mind starts to go insane. Granted, I was on an A332 (which lacks a Y+ cabin) and the seat and IFE were very first-generation.

Earning full status miles on UA is the reason these folks are happy with the arrangement.

Actually, that's not always true.

Some of the dirt fares that TK files into LAX/ORD/IAD/JFK/IAH/YYZ are largely W and P fares that accrue neither RDMs nor EQMs for Star Alliance/United. When I flew TK, I had to pay $150 extra to get M and E fares to get me those miles.

Had someone recently fly to Madrid from LAX via IST. Fares and product make it worthwhile for some folks.

Yup. I flew ORD-IST-MAD-IST-ORD. Very long. Worth it? Probably so for the miles, the CIP lounge in IST (which is unreal) and for the experience. But, again, I would have really liked having the option of Y Comfort on TK.

OA412

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 3):

TK is often the cheapest option from the US to Western Europe. I certainly wouldn't connect in IST if flying to MAD, FRA, ZRH, VIE, etc., but some people are willing to do it...
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

jreuschl

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:41 pm

It seems like TK always has very cheap offers to IST from USA cities, many times below $600 USD with taxes. What are the LF on other US cities?

willzzz88

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Not to mention TK has lower costs being in South Eastern Europe versus Western Europe.

OlympicATH

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:32 pm

I recently flew IST-CDG in J and the guy next to me was coming from LAX (flying LAX-IST-CDG). I asked him whether the backtracking made sense and he said TK was BY FAR the cheapest option, with a very good J product including the lounge in IST and that the backtracking didn't add as many hours as one would expect.

stlgph

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:40 pm

Quoting irishayes (Reply 10):
up. I flew ORD-IST-MAD-IST-ORD. Very long. Worth it? Probably so for the miles, the CIP lounge in IST (which is unreal) and for the experience. But, again, I would have really liked having the option of Y Comfort on TK.

Agreed. The Istanbul lounge is awesome. Nothing like playing pool, having a beer, and having a fresh made omelette at 6 in the morning.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Thenoflyzone

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 15):
Nothing like playing pool, having a beer, and having a fresh made omelette at 6 in the morning.

Not all at the same time i hope !
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos