Max752
Topic Author

AA/US At STL Post Merger

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:26 pm

I was wondering (being an STL native) what can we expect at STL post AA/US merger. Obviously we won't see anything dramatic but what will we see.

Here are some of my predictions come post merger involving destinations, at the airport, and aircraft used on STL routes.

Terminals and Concourses:
No change; AA and US are located in same Terminal (Terminal 1) and Concourse (Concourse C)
Ticketing will have little to no change because AA and US are located directly across from each other in Terminal 1.
The AA Admirals Club will have no change and no additional premium service will be added.

Gates in C Concourse:
Gates in use after merger: C6, C8, C10, C12, C16, C18
Elimination of: C24

Destinations and Aircraft:
Will Remain Same:
Miami (Boeing 738/Airbus a321 US Version)
Dallas Ft-Worth (Boeing 738/MD80s/a319 US Version)
New York LGA (Seasonal a/c changes; CRJ7s and MD80s maybe a B738 as time progresses and maybe, just maybe B734s or a319s US Version)
Chicago O'Hare (CRJ7s and MD80s. I have also heard of the possibility of the EMB 170/190 or even the a319 being assigned to this route.)
Los Angeles (Boeing 738s and MD80s with the addition of a319 US Version)
Washington DCA (CRJ7s and CRJ200s with the seasonal MD80s and a319 US Version)
Charlotte (CRJ7s and a319 AA and US Versions)
Philadelphia (CRJ200s and EMB175s)

Terminations or Seasonal Flights:
Phoenix (seasonal or all express/eagle flights; CRJ7s. We could even see complete termination)
Pittsburgh (complete termination)

Of course we would see some flight eliminations with little to no additions.

Thanks,
Please comment and tell me what you think STL will look like after this merger.
Super 80, pff, more like Stupid 80 | TravelUpdate.com |

apodino

RE: AA/US At STL Post Merger

Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Quoting Max752 (Thread starter):
Phoenix (seasonal or all express/eagle flights; CRJ7s. We could even see complete termination)

Pittsburgh is actually operated at risk by Trans States. They have a few at risk departures in Pittsburgh and this route gets metal to and from their Crew Base and MX base in STL. As long as Trans States operates the at risk flying, this route will stay.

PHX I don't think will go anywhere, but I suspect this will be a route the E170 shows up on.

Everything else you post is pretty accurate, though I don't think DCA will maintain mainline service at all, as this will fall victim to some of the mainline slots they are divesting. Will keep express service though.

HPRamper

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 1):
PHX I don't think will go anywhere, but I suspect this will be a route the E170 shows up on.

I tend to agree, this is just adding the STL base of AA FFs to the other end of the route. WN may dominate the route for now but AA will be just fine with a hub (for now) on one end and a former hub still full of FF on the other.

777STL

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:28 am

PHX isn't going anywhere, there's what, four flights/day? PHX will be continue to be a hub for the forseeable future, three years at a minimum which is what they guaranteed the state of AZ, so again, I don't see that route going anywhere. STL already has routes to all of the existing AA hubs pre merger and all US hubs as well, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't retain the route to PHX as well, post merger.

Quoting apodino (Reply 1):
Everything else you post is pretty accurate, though I don't think DCA will maintain mainline service at all, as this will fall victim to some of the mainline slots they are divesting. Will keep express service though.

Indeed. I have to imagine that STL is pretty low on post merger AA's list of priorities out of DCA given the slots they'll lose.
PHX based

BHMNONREV

Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:35 am

Gates in C Concourse:
Gates in use after merger: C6, C8, C10, C12, C16, C18
Elimination of: C24

I think this is pretty accurate. After the merger is complete there will be somewhere in the 40-45 flights per day range and this should be doable with six gates.

Destinations and Aircraft:
Will Remain Same:
Miami (Boeing 738/Airbus a321 US Version)
Dallas Ft-Worth (Boeing 738/MD80s/a319 US Version)
New York LGA (Seasonal a/c changes; CRJ7s and MD80s maybe a B738 as time progresses and maybe, just maybe B734s or a319s US Version)
Chicago O'Hare (CRJ7s and MD80s. I have also heard of the possibility of the EMB 170/190 or even the a319 being assigned to this route.)
Los Angeles (Boeing 738s and MD80s with the addition of a319 US Version)
Washington DCA (CRJ7s and CRJ200s with the seasonal MD80s and a319 US Version)
Charlotte (CRJ7s and a319 AA and US Versions)
Philadelphia (CRJ200s and EMB175s)

As stated here by others I think the PHX and PIT flights will remain for the foreseeable future. As far as the rest, I see the A319 becoming a big player in STL for just about all routes, save for DFW and MIA which will see the 738 and/or the 321 with the 319 at off-peak times. Don't think DCA or PHL will see mainline, but I believe the E170/175 or CR7 is a given. I can see shrinking capacities with F/C cabins on most if not all routes..

WesternA318

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 4):
As stated here by others I think the PHX and PIT flights will remain for the foreseeable future. As far as the rest, I see the A319 becoming a big player in STL for just about all routes, save for DFW and MIA which will see the 738 and/or the 321 with the 319 at off-peak times. Don't think DCA or PHL will see mainline, but I believe the E170/175 or CR7 is a given. I can see shrinking capacities with F/C cabins on most if not all routes..

I wonder f they will continue to see the 757's come in every night. Also, what will happen to AA's MX there? Will it be scrapped?

BHMNONREV

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:26 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 5):
Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 4):

I wonder f they will continue to see the 757's come in every night. Also, what will happen to AA's MX there? Will it be scrapped?

As of Nov 20 or 21, there is no more scheduled 757 service at STL as they have been replaced with the 738 to both DFW and MIA. Regarding AA MX, if you are referring to the old OZ/TW hangar there has not been any maint there for quite some time now, quite a few years in fact. That entire section of the airport is a ghost town for the most part..

WesternA318

Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 6):
As of Nov 20 or 21, there is no more scheduled 757 service at STL as they have been replaced with the 738 to both DFW and MIA. Regarding AA MX, if you are referring to the old OZ/TW hangar there has not been any maint there for quite some time now, quite a few years in fact. That entire section of the airport is a ghost town for the most part..

I have quite a few friends at AA's MX in STL, and they're always working on the Mad Dogs at/in the hangar, and everything else. Every now and then the oddball busted 738 will come in too...in fact you can hear them working or doing engine tests from the cell phone parking lot adjacent.

BHMNONREV

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 7):
I have quite a few friends at AA's MX in STL, and they're always working on the Mad Dogs at/in the hangar, and everything else. Every now and then the oddball busted 738 will come in too...in fact you can hear them working or doing engine tests from the cell phone parking lot adjacent.

Could very well be, I would guess they would be doing any overnight line MX in the hangar but I believe any heavy stuff disappeared quite some time ago. I would think at this point any MX contingent would be very small in STL

WesternA318

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:00 am

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 8):
Could very well be, I would guess they would be doing any overnight line MX in the hangar but I believe any heavy stuff disappeared quite some time ago. I would think at this point any MX contingent would be very small in STL

It is very small, and none of the heavy stuff is around anymore, but there is some presence there. I wonder if Parker & Co. will keep it around?

Timaay419

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 am

Soon, the only MD80 flights from LAX will be the 3x STL. I wonder how soon this will change, and to what equipment?

BHMNONREV

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:30 am

Quoting timaay419 (Reply 10):
Soon, the only MD80 flights from LAX will be the 3x STL. I wonder how soon this will change, and to what equipment?

How soon is anyone's guess and to what I would guess the best bet will be the 319, as I think the 738 is too much plane for this route.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos