HNLPointShoot
Topic Author

Pearl Harbor Vet Denied Boarding On UA LAX-HNL

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:13 pm

A Pearl Harbor veteran traveling to Honolulu for Dec. 7th ceremonies tomorrow was involuntarily denied boarding on UA1226 this past Wednesday, Dec. 4. I realize that airlines like UA have procedures for selecting who doesn't fly if they need to take people off the plane, but was it really not possible for someone to realize how bad this would make them look?

Hawaii News Now article
Tweet by HNN reporter with flight number and date

Web500sjc

RE: Pearl Harbor Vet Denied Boarding On UA LAX-HNL

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:30 pm

So they should kick off the person that no one gives a hoot about?

I'm sure there was a businessman going on an important deal. A family who saved over years fro a trip to Hawaii. There are other people on the airplane that would have been just as displeased if they had been denied boarding - he was probably the last person that checked in.

It is a public interest story, a very sad one, but everyone is always saying it happened to me. When are we upset if it happens to anyone else?
Boiler Up!

FlyDeltaJets

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:32 pm

With over sales we use the Over-sale manager program to ensure that we are applying our over-sale procedures fairly. This case here where the flight experienced weight restrictions there was little that could be done other than what was done here. I apologize for the inconvenience of that gentleman but this is just sensationalization of something that happens quite often on many airlines.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

tommy767

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Quoting flydeltajets (Reply 2):

Well, that's another example of failed CO policy at the new UA. If they used a larger plane that would need no weight restrictions (Hello! this is what happens when you fly 739 to Hawaii during the winter!) This is what they get, bad press. If they flew a 757 no damage would have been done.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

blueflyer

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Quoting HNLPointShoot (Thread starter):
A Pearl Harbor veteran traveling to Honolulu for Dec. 7th ceremonies tomorrow was involuntarily denied boarding on UA1226 this past Wednesday, Dec. 4

And nevertheless arrived the same day, albeit with an extra stop and several hours of delay!

United needed to offload 41 passengers. What were they supposed to do? Interview each and every passenger to find out their purpose for flying that day then make a judgement call as to which 41 passengers had the least important reasons? Or grab whichever passengers their system selects in all cases like this and offer them alternate arrangements?

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying he didn't deserve to get there on time and with all honors, but the moment United, or any airline, starts deciding someone's reason to fly is more valid than someone else's, it becomes a slippery slope with no bottom, and a logistical nightmare to boot!
All Hail King Donald

flymia

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:46 pm

It happens. Now if someone told me on my flight given his situation to give up my seat and I can fly 8 hours later I would have gladly done it. I wonder if they asked others like that given who he is and why he was going.
At the same time UA got him on another flight and got him to his destination in time for the ceremony. As he said "He is happy now" These things happen every day it is part of the business.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

roseflyer

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Apparently the flight that day was over 6 hours LAX-HNL, which is very abnormal. I am guessing there was some enroute weather that required a significant deviation from course, since that is about 50 minutes longer than normal. If you add that with inclement weather in HNL that would require alternate fuel, and you are in the 3% of the flying where the 737 has significant weight restrictions. With weight restrictions so significant that 41 people need to be bumped, I am not surprised that a veteran like that would be one of the people bumped.

It is very unfortunate, but when they need to deny boarding to 25% of the airplane's capacity, those without frequent flyer status who book low fare tickets often end up getting bumped (I believe it is based on fare class and not time of check in or booking at UA). I know airlines will make accommodations for military members traveling in uniform, but not sure about veterans traveling for leisure. This man was flying for an honorable reason, but when denying boarding, it is very difficult to claim that one person is more important than another. Everyone is important, so they go based on fare class and tier status.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

jetblastdubai

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:56 pm

I saw on another web site today that UA retired another TWO 757s this week and no replacement planes were added. It's like they're not even trying anymore.

AR385

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:59 pm

I remember the procedures are like this:

1. Ask for volunteers
2. Not enough, get rid of non-revs
3. Not enough, by order of check in
4. Not enough, start with the cheapest fare.

Maybe I´m wrong or UA has a different policy but tough anyway. Operationally necessary but very bad PR for sure.

CALMSP

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 3):

you've never been on a sUA weight restriction flight before? I have from LAX before. It happens.

shaq

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 7):

That is false.
This year United has/will retire 23 757
But has received as today 22 new 737-900ER
Get your facts correct..
Studying hard, for flying right!

tommy767

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 7):

I saw on another web site today that UA retired another TWO 757s this week and no replacement planes were added. It's like they're not even trying anymore.

Oh don't worry that's not a big deal at all for them. They'll just increase frequency with 3 extra E145.

You are right, this is getting really old. It's common sense, if you don't have a replacement for the plane, simply don't retire it!

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 9):

That's not really the point. The point is the 737 is incapable of flying LAX-Hawaii during the winter, so to the point that 41 passengers are kicked off. That's a lot of people and very poor performance for a (likely) brand new aircraft.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

jetblastdubai

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Quoting SHAQ (Reply 10):
That is false.
This year United has/will retire 23 757
But has received as today 22 new 737-900ER
Get your facts correct..

I said "this week". My fact was correct.

ECAMActions

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:43 pm

The rules are rules.

GentFromAlaska

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:55 pm

Interesting that Walt didn't choose HA to begin with. The mere fact that he is 90 years can create their own unique set of circumstances which I don't think UA even considered.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

blueflyer

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 12):
I said "this week". My fact was correct.

In a very narrow and meaningless scope. How do you know that "last week" United didn't add two new aircraft?
All Hail King Donald

mjoelnir

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:13 pm

It is the same every time, a.netters rising in defence of the right for the airline to treat its passengers badly.
It is a flight not going tech or some other emergency, it is just a frame poorly matched to the route.
If they took 41 person off the plain, how many were left?
It is just the problem that B737-900/800 are not a replacement for a B757-200.
Or United should stop booking so many passengers on these flights.

According to the article he was 2.5 hours before the flight on the airport so why do people assume the last to check in?

Skip the veteran and all that stuff, they chose a 90 year old person to kick of the flight. If there are any other people on the flight that should be one of the last ones to stay behind.
Of course when you need to lighten the plane you start on the disabled, the old and than unattended children?

silentbob

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 4):
And nevertheless arrived the same day, albeit with an extra stop and several hours of delay!

Yeah, but that doesn't matter when you need to blow everything out of proportion to make a story more spectacular.

klkla

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:23 pm

A long delay for a 90 year old is a lot different than a long delay for a 20 year old. United (and all airlines) should remind their employees that they are dealing with human beings and give them the authority to deal with problems like this in a humane way. I'm sure if they had just made an announcement explaining his situation there would have been people that would have gone out of their way to help him. There are ways he could have been accommodated if they had cared. They deserve bad publicity for this.

Web500sjc

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 16):
According to the article he was 2.5 hours before the flight on the airport so why do people assume the last to check in?

he probably wasn't last...he was probably one of the last 41 to check-in. Especially with online check-in.

The airplane may be poorly matched to the route, but the article was about how the 90 year old WWII vet got kicked off and how bad that was.

The article doesn't talk about the other 40 people who were denied boarding, it just talks about how bad united is for denying boarding the 90 year old vet, and how they should have taken him over someone else. It is a selfish article. that is the problem i have with the article.

United on the other hand should think about what it means when you have to kick ⅓ of the airplane off so it can make the trip.
Boiler Up!

Rdh3e

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:26 pm

UA1226 this past Wednesday, Dec. 4
Quoting tommy767 (Reply 3):
(Hello! this is what happens when you fly 739 to Hawaii during the winter!)

It was a 738 according to flightaware: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...6/history/20131204/2054Z/KLAX/PHNL

Tan Flyr

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:32 pm

Quoting klkla (Reply 18):
A long delay for a 90 year old is a lot different than a long delay for a 20 year old. United (and all airlines) should remind their employees that they are dealing with human beings and give them the authority to deal with problems like this in a humane way. I'm sure if they had just made an announcement explaining his situation there would have been people that would have gone out of their way to help him. There are ways he could have been accommodated if they had cared. They deserve bad publicity for this.

Amen...a very common sense solution. IF it was not done then shame on all the agents there for not having enough people skills to THINK...God gave them a mind..maybe they should have used it.

IF they had we would all be commenting on how they honored a VERY SPECIAL VET and had passengers volunteer to give him a seat (and GENEROUSLY reward that pax!!!!!!)...OMG this COULD HAVE been so positive...now..all crap on UA.

tommy767

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Quoting web500sjc (Reply 19):
United on the other hand should think about what it means when you have to kick ⅓ of the airplane off so it can make the trip.

Yes. Hence why I don't understand why they are rushing 757s into retirement and taking delivery of costly and non-capable 739.

It would be more acceptable if it was 8-10 but FORTY-ONE?!? We're not even into January yet!

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 20):
It was a 738 according to flightaware:

Flight aware gets UA 738 and 739 listings mixed up frequently. However if it was a 738 that would be even worse because they have better range over the 739ER.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

rcair1

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:39 pm

United needed to offload 41 passengers.

Which means they have the wrong equipment on the flight.

Quoting ecamactions (Reply 13):
The rules are rules.

What about the rule that says they should provide carriage. This was clearly the fault of UA planning.

Yes - the fact that the story focused on the Vet is somewhat irrelevant - but that is what news these days is. The point is they offloaded about 25% of the passengers. BTW, how much freight would be onboard this flight? If any - did they offload it first?
rcair1

AR385

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:14 am

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 16):
Skip the veteran and all that stuff, they chose a 90 year old person to kick of the flight. If there are any other people on the flight that should be one of the last ones to stay behind.

I agree with that totally. The rest of your post, I really don´t get.

I'm sure if they had just made an announcement explaining his situation there would have been people that would have gone out of their way to help him.

Exactly. You hit the nail in the head. These days, it seems common sense has just gone out the window. I know I would have volunteered to wait for a later flight.

rwy04lga

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:20 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 8):
2. Not enough, get rid of non-revs

LOLOL...They are ABSOLUTELY the FIRST to get denied boarding!! They aren't even considered in an oversold situation.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

GentFromAlaska

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:37 am

I'm sure if they had just made an announcement explaining his situation there would have been people that would have gone out of their way to help him

I would have been first in line to surrender my seat for this man; veteran or otherwise without any compensation from the airline. This is a no brainer.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

mjoelnir

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:41 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 25):
I agree with that totally. The rest of your post, I really don´t get.

In the article was mentioned, that a guy in a wheelchair also left behind, so I am suggesting that United picks the persons kicked off according to vulnerability, and after the disabled, the old the next to pick would be unattended minors. All groups especially fit to tend for themselves during travel interruptions.

Apart from that, it does seem that a B 737-800/900 is not a good fit for the route in the winter.

tommy767

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:47 am

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 28):
Apart from that, it does seem that a B 737-800/900 is not a good fit for the route in the winter.

I think UA shot themselves in the foot there. sUA 757 being dumped rapidly, TATL 757 needed at IAD and EWR, and widebodies have pretty much been removed from domestic routes. Mark my words, it will be a long winter using these 737 on long hauls. I'd expect BOS-SFO to behave the same.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

prebennorholm

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:54 am

United needed to offload 41 passengers. What were they supposed to do?

Maybe we have come to the point where airlines need special praise when they schedule planes that are able to perform their routes also in headwind?
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

dtw2hyd

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:06 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 25):
These days, it seems common sense has just gone out the window. I know I would have volunteered to wait for a later flight.

Why use common sense when there is a well written contract of carriage.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:43 am

Remember all the a-netters always defending airlines, and saying the obligation is to get you from A to B. Well, that has gone by the wayside too. They will get you there when they d**nway feel like it.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

prebennorholm

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:56 am

Quoting DTW2HYD (Reply 31):

Yup, that's right. And then we can hopefully also get rid of all those trivial Ryanair bashing threads since Ryanair has become the industry standard. Or rather, the industry standard has become equal to Ryanair standard.

[sarcasm off]
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

zrs70

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:03 am

There were 41 bumps off this flight. The Vet was not the only one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eather-need-carry-more-fuel-3.html

"Thanks for reaching out. Inclement weather in the path of United flight 1226 required the flight to carry additional fuel and, as a result, reduce the number of passengers on board by 41. United agents in Los Angeles rebooked those customers, including Mr. Shatz, on the best available alternate flights on United and other airlines. We look forward to speaking with Mr. Shatz and the other affected customers."
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

ikramerica

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:07 am

So a man was late for being early to something? Why is this news?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

26point2

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:10 am

@web500sjc

"So they should kick off the person that no one gives a hoot about? "

Really? This attitude is why travelers despise United, American and all the others. Employees with your miserable attitude make airline travel a miserable experience.

blueflyer

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:19 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 30):
Maybe we have come to the point where airlines need special praise when they schedule planes that are able to perform their routes also in headwind?

Just like posters should get special praise when their reply actually addresses a question, and not just a point they're desperate to make.
All Hail King Donald

N628AU

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:26 am

41 bumped passengers is ridiculous. I wonder if it was simply fuel (in which case they need I reevaluate which aircraft are on this route ), or was there also some sort of MEL limitation hurting the ability of the aircraft to depart at MTOW who would be horrific ops planning). Either way, decisions like that would explain why UA has been struggling financially post merger.

TonyBurr

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:29 am

You NEVER offload a 90 year old pax, no matter what !!!! Inhuman !!! How many non rev's were in First ! Never take off a 90 year old person.

BC77008

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:38 am

What I find shocking is that not a single one of the passengers on that flight gave up their seat so this 90 year old could fly to his destination. Not. A. Single. One. !!!
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

MIflyer12

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:39 am

I don't know if you wrote that tounge-in-cheek but it's a point many posters perhaps not familiar with American regs seem to miss in this thread: once UA sets out its IDB priority it is obligated to follow it, by DOT regulation.

The DOT doesn't demand that UA have a last on/first off policy - in fact DL does it differently in several elements.

Now, if the DOT wants to give priority to military vets or the aged, it can direct the airlines to do so. If the DOT doesn't, Congress can write legislation instructing the DOT to do so. But UA gate agents can't guilt people into volunteering, of the form 'If we don't get 41 volunteers right now the old guy is left sitting here!'

roseflyer

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:44 am

Quoting N628AU (Reply 39):

41 bumped passengers is ridiculous. I wonder if it was simply fuel (in which case they need I reevaluate which aircraft are on this route ), or was there also some sort of MEL limitation hurting the ability of the aircraft to depart at MTOW who would be horrific ops planning). Either way, decisions like that would explain why UA has been struggling financially post merger.

Using the 737 to HNL with an MEL like that would be an odd decision. You would think that they would tail swap with a healthier plane.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Web500sjc

Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:38 am

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 37):
"So they should kick off the person that no one gives a hoot about? "

Really? This attitude is why travelers despise United, American and all the others. Employees with your miserable attitude make airline travel a miserable experience.

Im not an employee at an airline...

But the point remains, 41 people are getting kicked off the flight- or in other words 40 other people who didn't have an article written about them because they weren't worth the paper. What is their story? I don't imagine that there are many people flying 5 hours because they feel like it. It is sad that he was denied boarding, but many people are denied boarding and many have legitimate reasons they were flying - some who may miss something important.

Now if he asked fro volunteers and explained his situation, I imagine there would be one person among the 120 people left who would be willing to give up their seat. But that is a personal choice those passengers would make based on their schedules and priorities.

Im not sure how often denied boardings occur on this flight, and as I have said if it is consistent United has to look at how many seats they are offering or what airplane they are selling. But I am not going to complain about how they decide to deny boarding unless it is discriminatory.
Boiler Up!

AR385

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:07 am

Because you don´t leave a 90 year old behind.

Quoting TonyBurr (Reply 40):
You NEVER offload a 90 year old pax, no matter what !!!! Inhuman !!! How many non rev's were in First ! Never take off a 90 year old person.

Exactly.

captainstefan

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:16 am

Quoting TonyBurr (Reply 40):
How many non rev's were in First !

Honestly, the chances of non-revs getting a premium seat on domestic flights are all but nonexistent. When it has happened to me in the past two years at my airline, it's been a last second "2B didn't show up / it's the only seat left on the plane / hurry up get down the Jetway /you're the last one on the plane" kind of deal. There are so many complimentary upgrades with the recent evolutions in reward flying that domestic premium for NRSAs is a thing of the past, save for rare instances.
Long Live the Tulip!

tyler81190

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:27 am

Quoting Tan Flyr (Reply 21):
IF they had we would all be commenting on how they honored a VERY SPECIAL VET and had passengers volunteer to give him a seat (and GENEROUSLY reward that pax!!!!!!)...OMG this COULD HAVE been so positive...now..all crap on UA.

So to play Devil's Advocate... What if they did ask? What if they actually noticed this issue, while following the rules set by the DOT, and tried to help this person, but the rest of the passengers were selfish A**es? What would we be saying then?

Really?!? The contract of carriage is there to protect the airline. It is policy. Policy can be broken by employees, but it is at their own risk, especially in this situation where the IDB rules are set by the Government, and the airline can be fined if they do not follow those rules.

And yes, I am going to add the old don't agree to anything unless you have read it routine with respect to the C.O.C.

It clearly spells out the process for anyone to see. Also, you would be shocked how often airline employees will break the C.O.C. to befit the customer, and also break FAA regs (i.e.. carryon size and numbers) to avoid issues with customers.

Jetsgo

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:32 am

Let me start off by saying I have a serious problem with the article. Overly sensational and really reported in the wrong aspect here. Maybe this was a bad PR move by UA, but what made this guy more important than the other FORTY passengers? Seeing as it's not even 12/7 as I write this, his particular IDB is a non-event in my opinion.

The problem here is UA and the 739 flying LAXHNL. Bumping 41 passengers is simply inexcusable. This is bean counting to the point where you are adversely affecting your product/service. Either schedule a plane competent enough to make it through the winter with the necessary loads or restrict the amount of seats sold. The 739 is not a fit replacement for the 752 on West Coast - Hawaii. Period.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

EA CO AS

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:37 am

From the article:

United would not provide specific details on how the 41 people who were pulled from the flight were selected but say a number of factors are taken into consideration, including the passenger's fare class, itinerary and check-in time.

Interesting how the press is going nuts falling all over themselves to nail UA to a cross over one person, but not the other 40. Were they somehow less worthy of going to HNL on that flight than this man?

Yes, I know he's a WWII vet, yes I honor and respect his service, but we as a society are so engulfed in looking for things to be outraged over that it saddens me.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SonomaFlyer

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:42 am

UA is using an a/c that can barely make the flight and with a bit of wind tossed it, they have to throw off 41 people. It's all well and good to max out revenue but putting on the smallest and least capeable a/c able to make the segment but 41 people?

It might not be a bad idea for UA to think about the impact chosing this a/c has on this particular route. Sure they have 20 odd flights between the West Coast and Hawaii I'm sure folks eventually made it but maybe they should think about using a -700 or -800 and not a -900ER.

opethfan

Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:07 am

It's just another example of various socioeconomic failings affecting the people at the bottom rather than at those who are able to raise a ruckus.

It's exactly the same as the defenders of ever-shrinking seat widths "but pax want cheaper cheaper cheaper!" - no, people want a nice combination of value and comfort, but when economic disparity continues to increase, wages are stagnant in comparison to inflation and cost of living increases, unemployment is high, etc. it's no wonder that people are feeling the pinch. But there are enough iPhones, Beats headphones, and Playstation 4s being sold that I don't think the public is opposed to spending money on what they feel is a good value.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos