Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A333MSPtoAMS
Topic Author

DL: Teenager Dies Aboard Delta Flight SEA - ATL

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:39 pm

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...on-after-takeoff-from-seattle?lite

Very sad. May he rest in peace and may his family find comfort in this difficult time.
As of Dec 2019 I've flown 457,440 miles on 270 flights on 54 airplane types with 60 airlines traveling thru 104 airports. I've visited 60 countries.
http://cronkflies.com

KDTWflyer

RE: DL: Teenager Dies Aboard Delta Flight SEA - ATL

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Wow thats terrible, my condolences to the family. I wonder what happened? Looks like this was the flight here

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...8/history/20131207/1625Z/KSEA/KGEG

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Oh my God.

I sincerely hope his family finds closure and comfort in this very difficult time. As somebody who has known families who have lost teenagers, it is truly one of, the not the most, heartwrenching ordeals you'll ever have to endure.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

burchfiel

Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 pm

What tragic news. May he rest in peace. Could the death have been related in any way to the takeoff, or would he have had the same likelihood of dying on the ground? I hope we will have more information on the cause shortly.

MesaFlyGuy

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Quoting Burchfiel (Reply 3):
Could the death have been related in any way to the takeoff, or would he have had the same likelihood of dying on the ground?

I know that it is a bad idea to fly with a headcold, but it shouldn't kill. I'm just hoping drugs aren't involved, for the sake of the family.  
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

rwy04lga

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Quoting mesaflyguy (Reply 4):
I know that it is a bad idea to fly with a headcold

Was that the cause of death?
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

frmrCapCadet

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:10 am

The story mentions that passengers were transferred to another plane. Why was that? (landing with too much weight is the only thing that comes to mind, but a total speculation on my part)
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

B757Forever

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:31 am

Quoting frmrCapCadet (Reply 6):
The story mentions that passengers were transferred to another plane. Why was that?

Generally when a passenger dies on a flight, the aircraft is quarantined until released by the authorities.

[Edited 2013-12-07 16:33:43]
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

hiflyeras

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:42 am

They couldn't have been more than 30-40 minutes into the flight at that point (SEA-ATL but landed in GEG) and the flight attendants were likely doing CPR until EMT's met the plane. Condolences to the family...very tragic.

DocLightning

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:31 am

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 5):
Was that the cause of death?

We don't know, but there are number of fortunately very rare things, both congenital and acquired, that can cause sudden death even in very young, healthy people.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

holzmann

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:38 am

I'm guessing either natural (blood clot) or unnatural (drug use).
DISCLAIMER: Airliners.net is an AIRBUS forum. Boeing Commercial Airplanes, if it has considered doing so in the past, should in no way consider supporting this website.

catiii

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:00 am

Quoting B757forever (Reply 7):

It actually depends where they pronounce the person as deceased. Generally they do it in the jetway so as to prevent the airplane from being quarantined.

airportugal310

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:11 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 11):

speaking from some very recent experiences, the deceased person had to be left on the aircraft until the coroner arrived and did what coroners do...

Maybe it varies from county to county in the US?

Sad, nonetheless.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

compensateme

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:15 am

According to the DailyMail, he had cerebral palsy and went into cardiac shortly after take off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tary-veteran-father-Christmas.html
We don’t care what your next flight is.

lordvader

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:45 am

I can't even imagine what his family is going through. This young man was just beginning life. This really is sad.

KLAXAirport

Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:48 am

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family in these tough times. May the Lord be with his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

Cheers,
KLAXAirport   

Maverick623

Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:59 am

Generally when a passenger dies on a flight, the aircraft is quarantined until released by the authorities.

It actually depends where they pronounce the person as deceased.

Both false.

Aircraft are only "quarantined" when the death is suspicious (or if it was an international flight, even then the quarantine usually lasts less than an hour if the death is not suspicious).

People usually aren't pronounced deceased onboard because there's either not enough equipment for a doctor (if there is one) to certify the death.

Once outside help comes in, it's easier to work on the patient in the jetway, so they'll pull them off to have more room to work.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

asteriskceo

Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:08 am

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 12):
speaking from some very recent experiences, the deceased person had to be left on the aircraft until the coroner arrived and did what coroners do...

This happened recently at SNA with UA; another very young person. He passed away on the plane, but they kept his body in the bathroom by the gates until the coroner arrived.

ASFlyer

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:53 am

It actually depends where they pronounce the person as deceased. Generally they do it in the jetway so as to prevent the airplane from being quarantined.

Quoting asteriskceo (Reply 17):
This happened recently at SNA with UA; another very young person. He passed away on the plane, but they kept his body in the bathroom by the gates until the coroner arrived.

There is no requirement to keep a body on a domestic flight until a coroner arrives, and there is no requirement that a plane be quarantined under normal circumstances, should someone pass while inflight.

A333MSPtoAMS
Topic Author

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Quoting frmrCapCadet (Reply 6):
The story mentions that passengers were transferred to another plane. Why was that? (landing with too much weight is the only thing that comes to mind, but a total speculation on my part)

Could this have been done out of respect for the remaining passengers, and not having them (or them wanting) to fly on a plane where someone had passed away for 3 hours or so?
As of Dec 2019 I've flown 457,440 miles on 270 flights on 54 airplane types with 60 airlines traveling thru 104 airports. I've visited 60 countries.
http://cronkflies.com

rfields5421

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:26 pm

The stories on CNN and a few other sources now say the teen died after landing at Spokane, not while on the aircraft.

However, the county medical examiner was called to the airport.

The aircraft continued on to Atlanta.

It landed at GEG at 1034 and took off for ATL at 1746 - just over 7 hours later.

I'm guessing part of the delay was lack of ground service equipment for a B763 at the airport. They don't have any regular widebody service.

Overweight landing check might have been required - and they might have had to bring in someone from SEA to do the check. MSP and SLC are the only DL mainline destinations served from GEG.

Yes, and no.

Each state has their own requirements - which do vary. Each county has procedures, not requirements. In many counties in the US, the coroner is not a doctor. He/she is only required to make a pronouncement of death in cases of suspected criminal activity. It is really up to each county to set its own requirements.

Big cities, which is normally what you have if there is a busy commercial airport, almost never require the coroner to actually visit the death scene. While the news stories now say the medical examiner was called to the airport - that could mean that someone from the coroner's department was called, not the actual coroner.

Several people in the emergency medical services department will be able to make a death pronouncement. Along with any licensed MD. The coroner will only get involved, and then it might be his staff, not the actual coroner, in cases where the cause of death is 'unusual'.

The key factor is the definition of 'unusual'.

A healthy young person with no outward signs of a cause of death would normally be considered unusual most places.

A young person with a known medical history - maybe not.

Any one showing signs of a possible fatal injury would be unusual in most places.

If the emergency medical people feel something isn't 'right', they would likely call for police to investigate, and want someone from the coroner's office to examine the body/ scene.

Very few places have the money, staff or facilities you see on CSI. And NO places have the time to spend on an individual case you see on CSI.
Not all who wander are lost.

b6a322

Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:19 am

Heart breaking story indeed. I'll try to shed some light on this from an Emergency Medical Services point of view - given that I work as a paramedic. Any questions other than the points I address below, just feel free to ask.

Quoting rfields5421 (Reply 20):
sources now say the teen died after landing at Spokane, not while on the aircraft.

^ This is because of where the patient was pronounced dead. So, even though the patient may have been pulseless and apneic on the aircraft, if flight crew or other passengers onboard were "working up" the patient, said patient is still "alive" until pronounced dead. That is, supposing a person walking down the street suddenly collapses and goes into cardiac arrest. An ambulance comes, transports the patient to a hospital where the patient is later pronounced dead. The Patient's place of death would be the hospital, not the place on the street where he/she collapsed.

Each state has their own requirements - which do vary. Each county has procedures, not requirements.
Several people in the emergency medical services department will be able to make a death pronouncement. Along with any licensed MD

^ Correct. For example in New York State, any Emergency Medical Services worker, (EMT, Paramedic etc.) can pronounce a patient to be dead given certain criteria. Generally, a state sets forth a boatload of protocols, and counties then choose which to adopt.

If the emergency medical people feel something isn't 'right', they would likely call for police to investigate, and want someone from the coroner's office to examine the body/ scene.
Very few places have the money, staff or facilities you see on CSI. And NO places have the time to spend on an individual case you see on CSI.

^ While true that very few places have the resources seen on TV, at least, in New York State, any time an injury (or even long term illness) is fatal and Emergency Services respond, police are notified for an investigation into the death. 9.9 Times out of 10, the cause of death will be ruled to be the injury or condition the patient succumbed to and not another suspicious cause. However, given that the police do have to investigate, the place where the death occurred is held as a crime scene. So, rather than "quarantined" the aircraft is more...held as evidence until Police and/or detectives arrive to investigate and release (which is usually pretty quick).

[Edited 2013-12-08 20:22:17]
The content I post are my own thoughts, nothing more. :)

DTWPurserBoy

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:44 pm

I have had 4 people expire on my flights over the years. None were ever quarantined. In this case it has been widely reported that the boy had a long medical history.

People do the dumbest things when a passenger dies--some freak out and start screaming (God knows why, they didn't die), others are solicitous of the family or traveling companions. I had one woman that had a heart attack just as we were beginning descent into CPH and we were doing CPR on her. For anyone that has ever done it is an exhausting experience--most people only last 2-3 minutes before they have to switch off with another rescuer. We had been just about to start the last coffee/juice/pastry snack when this woman sitting on the aisle, arms folded across her chest, gives me this disgusted look and says "I suppose this means we don't get to eat." I nearly chewed my tongue off but the look of disbelief that I gave her sure translated.
Only once was I a little unsure of what had occurred. We were flying NRT-JFK when this Chinese woman comes into the galley and calmly says "I think my baby is dead." We all looked at each other in disbelief and ran around the corner--the baby was in the bassinette on the wall and was totally blue--death was obvious. Then she said very calmly "I thought my baby was going to die." We passed this on to the cockpit who then passed it on to the authorities meeting the flight. She never cried once. On landing, I asked her if she would like to hold her son for landing and she said "no." So one of my female colleagues swaddled the child in a blanket and held him on her jumpseat. This woman's husband was in the US military and they had lost another child to SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) which was what this death was eventually ruled. The poor husband was beside himself with grief. Heartbreaking for him and for my entire crew. They were very badly shaken up thinking that this woman had done something to harm the baby.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

frmrCapCadet

Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 22):
This woman's husband was in the US military and they had lost another child to SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) which was what this death was eventually ruled. The poor husband was beside himself with grief. Heartbreaking for him and for my entire crew. They were very badly shaken up thinking that this woman had done something to harm the baby.

Sometimes people are too numb to react as we might expect them to. It can be very confusing.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

RobertS975

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:53 am

The DL 767 at GEG had several issues that needed to be addressed before it could continue. It needed an overweight landing inspection by licensed mechanics, and assuming that the aircraft medical kit was opened in flight to treat the original crisis, then it would need to be replaced with an intact kit before the flight could be dispatched. Generally, those medical kits are found only at hub airports and major non-hub stations like BOS, MCO, FLL etc.

brilondon

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:56 am

This seems to happen every year at hokey rinks as well, a normal seemingly healthy hockey player collapses on the ice and dies of an unknown heart abnormality issue. Also happened at a Detroit Red Wings game IIRC.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

n7371f

Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:36 am

It landed at GEG at 1034 and took off for ATL at 1746 - just over 7 hours later.

I'm guessing part of the delay was lack of ground service equipment for a B763 at the airport. They don't have any regular widebody service.

There is wide body luggage loading equipment at GEG. Contractor Spokane Airports has container loaders for charters (most recently Hawaiian flew weekly 763 charters to HNL a few years back). Also UPS and FedEx have them as well for daily scheduled 767, MD10, A300 service. And DGS has wide body tug equipment left over from the Northwest days.

twal1011727

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:53 am

Quoting roberts975 (Reply 24):
The DL 767 at GEG had several issues that needed to be addressed before it could continue. It needed an overweight landing inspection by licensed mechanics, and assuming that the aircraft medical kit was opened in flight to treat the original crisis, then it would need to be replaced with an intact kit before the flight could be dispatched. Generally, those medical kits are found only at hub airports and major non-hub stations like BOS, MCO, FLL etc.

There were multiple issues with this flight...

1/The flight attendant/s either didn't want to fly or timed out. They had to fly in a new cabin crew (1 or more??)for the continuation.
2/The flight was only 9000-13000 lbs overweight. Most probably they had plenty of time to do the inspection.
3/The med kits are MEL-able on Delta. Just for this kind of situation - as long as they are replaced at the next appropriate station.

anyway...very sad.

KD

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos