Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cactus739

RE: WestJet Christmas Miracle

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:59 am

I've watched the video a couple of times and I love watching the people's reaction when the presents start coming down the belt... and the woman that wanted the camera,.... you couldn't have asked for a more genuine reaction.

Westjet wanted 200,000 YouTube hits... they have almost 12 million.
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

CXfirst

Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:13 am

Quoting cactus739 (Reply 50):
Westjet wanted 200,000 YouTube hits... they have almost 12 million.

Really shows the smart marketing. They calculated that 200,000 views would more than pay for the cost of organizing the event and paying for the gifts. 12 million views, and I think the PR person who thought of the idea also deserves a Christmas Bonus....

-CXfirst

RayChuang

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:43 pm

I totally approve of this.    Masterful marketing by WestJet, too.

stlgph

Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 22):
So whenever an airline tries to treat their passengers well those passengers become pawns in their marketing scheme? Technically you're right, I guess, but that seems like an extremely cynical way to look at things.

You want even more cynics - it's cheap labor for an advertising campaign. If the people in the video were paid actors, by the metrics of viewership at this point, each one could have bought themselves 10 or more big screen tv's by now.

Quoting rikkus67 (Reply 23):
I guess we'll wait to see what the Big Three in the USA deliver for their Xmas customer surprises by comparison, eh stlgph ?

Not cynical at all, just a business way of looking at things. Everyone is all warm and feeling and fuzzy about the video -- but the truth is - Westjet, really looking to put "the heat" on Air Canada with Encore and the launch of trans atlantic services, was looking for a trump card. This was it.

As for the U.S. airlines - I would only suspect such a treat from Delta and jetBlue. Both airlines, in particular, jetBlue, show up and do wonderful things in many respective communities and don't really make a big huge deal out of it.
Delta's six homes they built for habitat for humanity this fall probably cost them 4-5 times more than that Westjet shelled out to send christmas gifts down a conveyor belt.
Delta also threw a hella nice "thank you" for their customers in New York City this past May to celebrate the T4 in New York City with a little boutique shop set up - handing out all kinds of free drinks, food, and random gifts.
The swag bags were wonderful.
And they also randomly would give out a ton of free trips and plane tickets. I got two free tickets to Paris. Score.

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 51):
They calculated that 200,000 views would more than pay for the cost of organizing the event and paying for the gifts.

On social media metrics, the 200,000 view goal would translate roughly into about 5 million pass along share view. So you're looking at a response about 2 - 2 1/2 times more than their original estimate.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

roseflyer

Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:01 pm

That is a fun way to advertise. They have already achieved over 13 million views. While many of them are from markets that have no idea what Westjet is and likely can't find Calgary on the map, it would be incredibly expensive to get that many people via traditional marketing. That was a 5 minute commercial, but a TV ad for 30 seconds on a top rated TV show is about $300,000 for the US market. That is about the only way to reach 13 million viewers. I am guessing that this Christmas miracle stunt was far cheaper than that. Most people don't remember a single ad from a TV show the night before, but people will remember this one.

For airlines without big marketing budgets like Coca Cola, Toyota, etc, this is a great way to advertise. There are so many unique things that airlines can come up with to advertise through social media. I wonder what Westjet will do next Christmas.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

bond007

Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Quoting stlgph (Reply 53):
You want even more cynics - it's cheap labor for an advertising campaign. If the people in the video were paid actors, by the metrics of viewership at this point, each one could have bought themselves 10 or more big screen tv's by now.

Unless they were celebrity actors (which they wouldn't need to be), they would be better off as real passengers.

Background actors (extras), and even those that have minor speaking parts, are often paid little more than a few hundred bucks a day, and usually sign a release against claiming royalties.

A TV would be worth more than most of them would have made.

Also, Westjet could have pre-purchased fake presents if it filmed using actors, and not gone to the expense of having to buy them all immediately.

Most likely, this was probably more expensive than hiring local small-part 'actors' and faking it.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

brilondon

Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Quoting liftsifter (Reply 43):

Interesting to see WestJet saying "Merry Christmas" instead of the politically correct Happy Holidays. Happy to see a company that doesn't care about being politically correct! Nice!

Why is it not politically correct to say "Merry Christmas"? I don't see why you can't wish "Merry Christmas" to anybody if that is your faith.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

bwest

Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:55 pm

It doesn't really make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Is this all what Christmas means nowadays? Getting stuff. Happiness is a flatscreen TV? I'm not at all religious, but I do like the general feeling of Christmas. Sharing some time together with your family, the mellow and slightly cheesy cosyness of it all. But this video gives me an uneasy feeling. Only consumerism seems to be the way to happiness...

rampart

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:38 pm

It's a rare thing to see such cynical marketing result in tears of joy for the airlines customers, not to mention countless viewers of Youtube and Facebook.

I think more advertising should be as cynical. More people smiling is a good thing.

Likewise, airlines should further strive for the cynical goal of making their customers happy. The underhanded effort of catering to service can only spread good vibes. Totally rotten what Westjet has done here.  

-Rampart

SCQ83

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:49 pm

Quoting brilondon (Reply 56):
Why is it not politically correct to say "Merry Christmas"? I don't see why you can't wish "Merry Christmas" to anybody if that is your faith.

It is not politically correct in the US in order to avoid any potential discrimination based on a religious ground and, increasingly, in the UK.

Vio

Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Look, nice BUT:

1. It's a PR stunt... (yes, they can do that. they are a private company. Nice that they treat some customer to this)
2. This money could've been used to help people in real need. Maybe buy toys, etc for the kids at Children's hospital in YYC
3. Aren't we a bit too materialistic in North America? Is this what makes people happy? Flat screen TVs and tablets?

Good on you WestJet, but you could've sent a different message and help people that REALLY REALLY need a gift for the holidays.
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

c172akula

Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Quoting vio (Reply 60):
Good on you WestJet, but you could've sent a different message and help people that REALLY REALLY need a gift for the holidays.

It's all about the ROI, how much media does AC get every year for doing the Dream Take Flight flights? Very little compared to this one PR stunt.

bond007

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Quoting vio (Reply 60):

They could also have sold one of their aircraft and given the proceeds to the Red Cross.

You could also choose to give all your savings and spare cash to charity - I assume you don't, so let's stop the nonsense about "they could have done this, they should have done that".

They didn't.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

CdnCactus

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:14 am

Quoting brilondon (Reply 56):

I may not be a Christian but I have no trouble wishing people a Merry Christmas because, by gosh, that's what the holiday is! If I get to enjoy some days off at least I should give credit to why I'm getting the days off.

Yes, I'm not the most PC person out there. Flame away, modern society.

And yes, this is a nice marketing campaign that probably is now far more successful than WS had hoped. I'm a cynical crank most of the time but still, I don't have trouble just enjoying this as a holiday cheer instead of desperately seeking a dark side to it all. Merry Christmas, y'all.

Vio

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:41 am

Quoting bond007 (Reply 62):
They could also have sold one of their aircraft and given the proceeds to the Red Cross.

You could also choose to give all your savings and spare cash to charity - I assume you don't, so let's stop the nonsense about "they could have done this, they should have done that".

They didn't.

Jimbo

A. Don't assume I don't give money to charity or I don't do enough to help other (within my means)...

B. Yes, they could've also made a video of the CEO going to Vegas, drinking and gambling. They could also do that. My point is that we put too much emphasis on providing material crap to people that don't really need it. I saw that lady crying... for what? A big screen TV? Really? That's pretty sad...
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

YVRLTN

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:56 am

Quoting AF185 (Reply 48):
I've seen this video being shared a lot on social media

I had a colleague in Lithuania post it to FB today. There are probably a lot of people in the world who had never heard about WS before who do now and this will probably stick in their heads for travel plans if they ever visit Canada.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Cactus739

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:41 am

Why is Santa wearing blue?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

BreninTW

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:48 am

Quoting cactus739 (Reply 66):

In the bloopers video he was asked the same question. The answer was pretty good: I save red for Christmas Eve so the pilots can see me!

brilondon

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:54 am

Quoting btfarrwm (Reply 24):
Quoting rikkus67 (Reply 23):
I guess we'll wait to see what the Big Three in the USA deliver for their Xmas customer surprises by comparison, eh stlgph ?

Yeah, like the likelyhood that due to over booking, bad weather or maintenance issues you will be bumped and your surprise at the baggage reclaim is your suitcase instead of being with you in BUF; it went on a vacation in HNL...

It is all about goodwill which is not easily measured or quantified except in the long run in terms of having people use your services solely based on your community involvement. AC has always done the make a wish flights to Disney World from various airports in Canada, so it is not just a WS thing. The employees involved are all volunteers and I have a friend who always helps out with the make a wish flight and don't care why the company does it as they love how it makes the kids happy and brings out the best in people.

Skydrol

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:59 am

Quoting cactus739 (Reply 50):
I've watched the video a couple of times and I love watching the people's reaction when the presents start coming down the belt... and the woman that wanted the camera,.... you couldn't have asked for a more genuine reaction.

How true. That lady's reaction when she received the camera she wished for was as real as it gets. Or the look of surprise and "No Way!" when the kid got the Android Tablet.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

stlgph

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:49 pm

And driving the numbers home.

Westjet's real christmas miracle - a reward of millions in free advertising.

Courtesy: Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbe...ideo-millions-in-free-advertising/

roseflyer

Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Quoting vio (Reply 60):

1. It's a PR stunt... (yes, they can do that. they are a private company. Nice that they treat some customer to this)

It absolutely was a PR stunt. It was also a fun one.

Quoting vio (Reply 60):
2. This money could've been used to help people in real need. Maybe buy toys, etc for the kids at Children's hospital in YYC

Very true. Every company that advertises at the superbowl could do the same thing. I assume this came from their advertising budget and it did well.

Westjet actually does do exactly that. Here's their charity section of their website: http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/about/community-investment/index.shtml

Like most airlines, the best thing to offer is free tickets that charities can use in fundraisers. Many airlines including Westjet will give gift vouchers that charities can use for auctions and raise money. For very little cost to the airline, they can earn quite a bit for a charity, which goes much further than handing out toys, which is better left to the retailers of the world.

Quoting vio (Reply 60):
3. Aren't we a bit too materialistic in North America? Is this what makes people happy? Flat screen TVs and tablets?

I've heard rumors that the most popular request was a flight home for Christmas. You can see in the video that Westjet did exactly that for those who wanted it. It wasn't all TVs and Tablets, but opening an envelope with a free ticket to visit Grandma doesn't make for as much fun in a video as unwrapping a present.

Quoting vio (Reply 60):

I think you know as well as the rest of us that such a video wouldn't go viral and nobody would have ever noticed.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

stlgph

Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Westjet talks.

http://www.bloomberg.com/podcasts/in_the_loop/

Click on the Dec 13 broadcast.

About 2 minutes in, Betty Liu from Bloomberg talks to Westjet about their christmas miracle.

ytz

Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Quoting bwest (Reply 57):
It doesn't really make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Is this all what Christmas means nowadays? Getting stuff. Happiness is a flatscreen TV?

I thought so until I saw that some people had asked for a flight home for Christmas. That should make you realize that not everybody is materialistic. Some just want to see their loved ones.

par13del

Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Here's the problem with this "stunt"

1. No professional PR firm was hired to do a marketing video - lost wages including xmas bonus
2. No one on the social media pushing this stunt around is making any money
3. The warm fuzzy feeling those folks got is negated by the cringing the thousands of us have who know full well our carrier is not going to do the same.
4. It xmas, grinch time.

And a merry xmas was had by all  

threepoint

Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:43 am

Quoting stlgph (Reply 53):

On social media metrics, the 200,000 view goal would translate roughly into about 5 million pass along share view. So you're looking at a response about 2 - 2 1/2 times more than their original estimate.

So if 200,000 views translates into 5 million share views (a 25-fold increase), why wouldn't the 12 million views translate into a proportional amount (300 million) of share views as well? If your 'social media metrics' theory prevails, WS achieved 1500 times their original goal, no?

Quoting vio (Reply 60):

What an exercise in masterful contradiction. How would those same gifts reduce a sick kid's need? Not sure I get your drift. The trouble with your idealistic post is the reality that WestJet does do plenty to help sick children throughout the rest of the year, and also that this film was intended to focus not on real need, but on the goodwill that translates into future customers. Look at any Tim Hortons ad: people flock there not because the coffee or flash-frozen baked goods are any good, but because the ads have mastered the warm & fuzzy factor.

Quoting bwest (Reply 57):
Happiness is a flatscreen TV? ... But this video gives me an uneasy feeling. Only consumerism seems to be the way to happiness

Put yourself in the shoes of the passengers in the video. They weren't asked "what makes you feel happy?". They were asked what they want for Christmas. And I bet almost all of them had no idea that whatever they answered would translate into reality upon landing. Otherwise, you may have seen Westjetters running out to local luxury car dealerships instead of to Best Buy.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

luv2fly

Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:05 am

Have we all become so jaded and cynical that we can't appreciate the joy that this simple act brought to so many people.
You can cut the irony with a knife

brilondon

Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:26 am

Because it is Westjet which has their colours as blue and green on their planes and their main colour is blue.

BA84

Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:11 am

Because red is Air Canada's colour.

BA84

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos