EddieDude
Topic Author

Anyone Knows What MEX' Expansion Will Consist Of?

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:31 am

I just got a news alert via SMS saying that MEX will be expanded due to the fact that it is saturated. I think we can all agree on that, but what kind of expansion would this be? I do not believe that a new runway could be added, or could it? I also doubt the terminals could grow in size, and in any case that would not really solve the movements' problem. Anyone here is knowledgeable of the government's plans?
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

AM777LR

RE: Anyone Knows What MEX' Expansion Will Consist Of?

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:49 am

Source? Well if true, they could always try and buy out the surrounding the communities and expand both runways and terminals. They could really start by tearing down and re-building T1, T2 is fine. And maybe adding a T3 is it is needed, but in my mind a third longer runways and new T1 are a must. I would assume that the ne T1 would be outfitted with A380 gates and all the taxiways would be widened ect. Hey, maybe they need to build a whole new airport!

EddieDude
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:09 am

So I found a source: http://www.proceso.com.mx/?p=360055

Clearly nothing planned yet, just studies commissioned. It is interesting that the land to the east will be used. Not sure that a runway could fit there... unless they decided maybe to build a dedicated runway for regional jets and turboprops?

More interestingly, TLC will get a second runway. It is not a bad idea, but the truth is that the cost of getting to and from TLC if you live or have your destination in D.F. is way to high, and traffic (not on the highway, but in the west side of the city) is also a deterrent sometimes. Does TLC really have a big future?
Upcoming flights:

AM777LR

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:31 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 2):

Hmm....well I don't think that there should be any construction at TLC due to the fact that it's pretty far from MEX, also MEX offers better connection. Most tourism and business coming into Mexico are in DF, most people in Europe don't imagine taking a vacation in Toluca...but The Mexican Capital...that brings in lots of business! I always fly out of MEX and not TLC (Living in Morelos). After reading that article I think the best solution for MEX is to start from scratch and build a new airport, maybe 3 runways, two or three terminals with A380 gates, more remote stands and wider taxiways. All private and cargo traffic could stay at the old (Current MEX) to easy the strain in the new airport and to keep both separate. If keeping the cargo and passangers separate doesn't work, they could have all private aircraft land at the current MEX airport. I am anxious to see what's will happen.

ghost77

Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Opening google earth, if those pics are updated, sure new MEX will be kind of far.

I think and I believe it would be smart to keep MEX open, and if you read at google maps there's an area where described as "Zona Federal del Lago de Texcoco" I believe that for some reason and for years, they've prohibited to build there and saved that space for decadeds for a new airport. There's plenty of space to built an airport with 4 runways all perfect for simoultanous operations.

Fog on that area thou is bigger, so we might night need at least a CAT II ILS for all 4 runways.

TLC needs a second runway ASAP. When they close for some incident it becomes a mess. Last time that happened was by August, I was flying LAP-TLC and by GDL they told me that some incident happened and maybe it would take 2 hours to take the C210 off the runway. Imagine if that happened on a critical holiday?

And for sure they won't build it with enough space for simoultaenous operations.

They're saying that by the end of 2014 there will be a plan and it will take 10 years for construction. I think it's too much time. We need a new aiport by 2020.

MEX should be left for schools, biz, charters, regional carriers such as Aeromar, government and cargo operations.

I started studying aviation soo late and I never thought even with my personal delay I would be able to land at runway 05R, the same runway I've seen landing hundreds of planes since I was 4. And seems I'll be doing it soon and for so many years until the new MEX opens.

g77
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

bjorn14

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Why no service at Cuernavaca (CVJ) when the 4 other Mexico City airports have flights?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

AR385

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 5):
Why no service at Cuernavaca (CVJ) when the 4 other Mexico City airports have flights?

What are the other 4 Mexico City airports?

Cuernavaca airport from Northern Mexico City can easily be a 3hr. drive or more. No high speed rail. No rail for that matter and airline provided transport would also take more than 3hrs.

bjorn14

Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 pm

MEX/TLC/PBA/QRO from what I've read.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

AR385

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:10 pm

TLC sure. PBA and QRO are viable alternates in case MEX is closed, although they prefer to use ACA. PBA and QRO are not other Mexico City´s airports. They are in different states and farther still than CVJ. Bajío is another alternate.

AM777LR

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:08 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 5):

Why no service at Cuernavaca

I miss Y4's service from CVJ to TIJ...sad it didn't last. So did Viva Aerobus cancel its MTY-CVJ service?

Quoting ghost77 (Reply 4):
ghost77

Sounds Good! Let's get building! The "Zona Federal del Lago de Texcoco" is roughly 10.5 KM by 7 KM (6.5 Miles by 4.5 Miles) In comparison, the current MEX airport sits on about 4 KM by 1 KM of land. (2.5 Miles by 3500 feet) The new area could easily fit ICN, DXB, LAX or the MEX! How about "Licenciado Adolfo Ruíz Cortines Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México" or they could keep the same name like at UIO...Licenciado Benito Juárez El Nuevo Aeropuerto Internacional de la Ciudad de México.
I Also found this link (Spanish only) http://reporterosenmovimiento.wordpr...o-2013-2018-en-el-valle-de-mexico/

[Edited 2013-12-11 16:11:40]

TheRedBaron

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:22 am

Just a little hiccup by Popocatepetl Volcano, an all this super plan will go to hell.   

Then again our government is stellar dealing with nature...   

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

ghost77

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:17 am

This was a 1988 design:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8442/7952503144_ea3516b1bd_b.jpg

4 runways on 4 phases and bigger space construction from 1990 to 2000.

As for today's 2013 proposal:

http://graficos.elfinanciero.com.mx/aicm_ampliado/index.html

I like how a new runway on the actual MEX is being considered. In fact it won't be a "new" this is the old 13/31.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/ricreig/aicm2.jpg

Enough for turboprops and now with more capacity enough for Cessna operations.

How nice everything was before, if we could only turn back time...

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/ricreig/aicm62.jpg

g77

TheRedBaron

Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Quoting ghost77 (Reply 11):

Great post ! thanks for the info.... sadly as usual the land communications are huge bottlenecks ...nothing new under the sun...

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

EddieDude
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:26 pm

PBC and QRO are unrealistically far from Mexico City. I would never consider them as Mexico City secondary airports. Even TLC is -the consensus goes- too far from Mexico City to be viable. It only caters to certain parts of the wealthy west side of the city (aside from the local market of Toluca and surroundings), but even that is not enough... Interjet and AM only have morning and evening departures/arrivals to/from MTY for example. Nothing around noon or early afternoon. I work in Santa Fe, on the west side and have been flying to MTY quite a bit lately, and because of this, TLC is not useful for me. Plus, the cost of taxis is just ridiculous, so driving and parking is the best bet if you are going on a short trip.

I dunno about CVJ, but it is also quite far to be a viable alternate airport, and I believe it has very poor facilities and a subpar runway. If I am wrong, please correct me.
Upcoming flights:

Marcus

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Quoting TheRedBaron (Reply 10):
Then again our government is stellar dealing with nature...

That reminds me, I heard this proposed area is prone to flodding...is this so? I would guess they will consider this but then again we are talking about the government.

Hey moderators I started a topic on this yesterday but now is gone.....what gives?
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

ghost77

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 13):
I dunno about CVJ, but it is also quite far to be a viable alternate airport, and I believe it has very poor facilities and a subpar runway. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I hate CVJ access. It's terrible as road from Mexico City to Cuernavaca is very unreliable as you can have a lot of traffic on unexpected days.

As for the situation, CVJ has a very decent airport. Although, it's only capable of a Boeing 757 operation. Maybe an empty 767 could get in and fly out at half weight for take off.

Runway is in perfect conditions, in fact very nice as in 2006 was given mx, later again in 2009 as shown in the picture:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ricardo Morales - Aviation Photography of Mexico

View Large View Medium

And this year I flew ther in July and runway is really nice as well the new terminal:

View Large View Medium

TAR Mexico had plans to open routes out from CVJ but recently they've have stepped back.

Quoting Marcus (Reply 14):
That reminds me, I heard this proposed area is prone to flodding...is this so? I would guess they will consider this but then again we are talking about the government.

Maybe. Maybe they'll use high tech in order to cover the water. I saw your thread but this was open earlier.

It's badly needed. I've been told that AM without a new airport it WON'T grow as it could. In the meantime the only thing I can think of in order for MEX to grow is more seats on every operation.

BTW, MEX and CUN are having record numbers:

http://flyapm.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29&start=238#p14750

MEX has reached the 31M mark and CUN is close to 16M. CUN had a plan to reach 15M by 2015. Well, the new runway and new terminals are giving them a lot of capacity. Terminal 1 recently re-opened and is used by Magnicharters and VivaAerobús.

g77

EddieDude
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:47 am

Quoting ghost77 (Reply 15):
Runway is in perfect conditions, in fact very nice as in 2006 was given mx, later again in 2009

Thanks Ghost! Good to know that the airport is in good condition.
Upcoming flights:

DesertAir

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:21 pm

I flew into Toluca a few years ago while studying in Mexico City. Volaris has shuttle service to the Santa Fe area of Mexico City. I found Toluca very inconvienent and instead of saving a few Pesos, I fly directly into Mexico City. What impresses me is how the airport is very well managed given the huge number of flights and limited space. Instead of a new airport, how can operations be more efficient, construct another runway, imporve ground services and remodel the old gate areas.

anthsaun

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:07 pm

Most news sources have nothing yet because the government it self has nothing, except for the fact that no new land wil be purchased. The Secretary of SCT (communications and transport) clearly stated the two facts already presented here: no new airport, but MEX will expand to the next door federal land & Toluca will grow.

The PBC, TLC, QRO & CVJ can not become alternative airports to MEX because not even the locals use them as travel options. Most travelers from these cities make the 100 km trip to MEX because there is a far greatter flights offer in MEX. Once TLC and the other 3 offer something reliable, travelers will accept them as alternative airports. Besides that, getting from MExico City to these airports is a trip of its own, ans expensive as well.

MEX is a miss managed airport. Lots of space in miss use. Lots of trash everywhere. In the actual land site one new air terminal could be built. Terminal 1 has lots of land to expand if the cargo facilities are relocated as well as the custums. Several hangars on the south side could be moved out or relocated. The Policia Federal should be relocated to TLC as well as all Federal agencies including the Marines. That should give room for a huge new terminal.

A few years ago an airline pilot presented a very strange project. Two new runways continuing or expanding the two actual runways into the new land site making extra long runways 8km each one. Airplanes taking off from the center while landing aircrafts touchdown at the heads. This is a four runways set. If the wind changes direction, the aurplanes taking off just turn around in the opposite direction instead of making the run to the other end. Weird but it might work.

I just hope a good project comes out soon.

By the way CUN is growing nicely.
Over 80 years in business say a lot about success

ghost77

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:45 am

Hey Anthony!

Nice to read you again.

I totally agree. My plan would be to move cargo apron to the left of Aeromexico's new hangars. That PFP hangar is a total shame of waste and space as now that AM moved back that would be an ideal space to extend T2.

Once cargo was moved, a new terminal could get started on T1 from there and once ready, open that side, maybe 10 positions and later, destruct the old one and build more jet ways till you get to the gate number 1.

I believe that keeping the old mex and opening the new side where planned could boost traffic and make airlines more efficient in their operation. If one runway gets closed for some reason you would still have a lot more opened.

There would be no traffic and less fuel burned and also less time in the air and arrivals as well as departures would be faster, MEX is also creating saturation at airports within Mexico because they need to hold their pushback in order to get on time to their slot.

The government sure doesn't not have anything but they need to come up with something FAST such as the plan given by El Financiero.

g77

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos