Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

brilondon

RE: CNBC: UA's Smisek One Of Worst CEO's In America

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:26 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 49):

Any CEO that thinks slashing at employees to increase profits is a true bum. If a CEO is willing to dip into the employees wallets to increase profits, the CEO should be leading by example. Smisek needs to take a step down, and UA needs a leader that can bring out the best of what UA has to offer. This airline has amazing potential, but it is not being run to the besf of its abilities. UA needs someone that can freshen the airline, and run it like a diamond. UA needs a new identity, a new marketing campaign. UA seems so dull, and so average. Bring back the tulip, give the employees a pat on the back, and make this airline shine.

The employees of UA have been kicked, thrown, and beat for years now! Leave them alone, and fix what is broken. UA has some incredible talent working the rank and file. I can only wish them the best, and encourage brighter days for them!

I agree on the most part that the employees have been really abused by the management. Where I don't agree is; this is the fault of the CEO. Yes, he is the man at the top but I believe that the airline would definitely be best to also look at the managers who are running the day to day operations and see if any of them are actually competent. The workers are only as good as the people who over see them and they are all good sheep and follow the lead of their superiors. There are certain front line employees that could use some more slashing and an attitude change. Old UA was the worst and the new UA, while better, still needs to improve quite a bit or UA will stand for Useless Airline.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

MaverickM11

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:40 am

Quoting klkla (Reply 48):
Maybe it would be more fair to list him as one of the most mediocre CEOs of the year,

Otherwise, if we're using the same metrics to judge Jeff Smisek, why don't we consider the following    :

Gary Kelly:
#One of the sloppier mergers of recent memory
#Operating margin has steadily decreased from 8-10% to 3-4% while the rest of the industry has gone the other way
#An airline usually famous for on time performance recently ranked dead last

Or David Cush:
#Almost $1B cash up in smoke
#Very difficult reservation sytem cutover
#Recently profitable only by dramatically slashing capacity

[Edited 2013-12-14 03:48:01]
I don't take responsibility at all

justloveplanes

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:38 pm

Quoting traindoc (Reply 17):
Has it happened as fast as we would like? Certainly not. But UA is getting there!

I am concerned that while some things are getting better, the overall standards continue to fall. Not necessarily in service, but mostly in the depth of the soft product. Hard product coming off good.

They are lowering the bar in cost cuts, little by little. Frequent Flyers notice.

jetmatt777

Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:47 pm

The company posted an internal memo this past week for involuntary reductions in force (LAYOFFS) for the ramp.

Here it comes!

ual727lhr

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Quoting tpaewr (Reply 12):
You do realize that tiny baby CO was larger than and carried more pax both Transatlantic and the Latin America than super duper mega global intergalactic wonder airline UA? Furthermore system wide ASMs UA was a mere 18% larger than CO after years and decline and retreat. In the same time period CO had organically DOUBLED in size. UA had slipped from #1 in EVERY int'l market place (TATL,LatAM, TPac), down to 4th place in most. Clinging to #2 in the trans Pac coasting on the ever eroding network it got from PA. UA was a shadow of it former self, and shrinking more every year!

Yes, UA was a shadow of its former self, thanks to the deliberate "shrink to merge" policy of glenn tilton. Now, its a shadow of its former self due to the CAL management's bottom feeder view of the world. Shrink, shrink, shrink, eliminate 3 class service, SHARES res system, put airplanes too small for the mission in international markets...all the while DL and SW grow and profit in former UAL markets i.e. JFK, SEA, LAX, DEN. Make no mistake about it, the United name has been destroyed by the CAL management and its #5 airline view of the world. Don't believe me? Ask the TENS of thousands of premier passengers who have left the new "United" for DL & AA due to the CO approach to running an airline. The ONLY reason CO was bigger in the markets you list is because of the "shrink to merge" policy of the UA bankruptcy management. Guam anyone?

apodino

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:06 pm

Quoting ual727lhr (Reply 54):
all the while DL and SW grow and profit in former UAL markets i.e. JFK, SEA, LAX, DEN.

I don't understand how you can put JFK on this list. JFK has not been a big station for UA since before 9-11 honestly. At the time of the Bankruptcy, the only JFK flights they were operating was the Mainline service to LAX and SFO, plus express to IAD. The former became the PS later on, but UAs strength in NYC has historically always been at EWR. It was drawn down a lot by Tilton, but of course they merged into the megahub. DL has been strong at JFK ever since PA went under when DL got all the PA assets in JFK, so they have grown since 1991, and have been very strong there since then. WN has never had a presence at JFK at all.

I do agree with the other three cities you mention, as well as the general thesis of your post however.

AADC10

Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 29):
Quoting atct (Reply 6):
Bring back Gordon...
Quoting AADC10 (Reply 28):
Bring back Dick Ferris...

Bring back Pat Patterson.... Those were the real glory days.
Quoting malaysia (Reply 38):
Bring in Robert Six if that were possible

The Bethune and Ferris have the advantage over Pat Patterson and Robert Six of still being alive. If Pat Patterson and Robert Six came back, the zombie apocalypse is upon us. Perhaps Walter Varney could also duke it out.

Actually, I think too much focus is placed on the CEO. Just the POTUS, the position's actual ability to turn large complicated organizations is far more difficult than we would like to think. Bethune was able to deal with a much smaller airline that had some problems that were comparatively easy to fix. Whipping customer service into shape is far more difficult.

One thing that would greatly improve customer satisfaction would be to not try to achieve such high passenger loads. Nothing makes passengers happier than an empty middle seat and nothing frustrates them more then getting stranded when misconnecting. They can simply make the lowest fare buckets a little smaller. Wall Street however does not like such things.

jayhup

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 55):
JFK has not been a big station for UA since before 9-11 honestly

When I started working at T7 in 1995 there was (other than the SFO and LAX) BOS, SEA, NRT, LHR and CCS. UA even moved the transcon part of the operation over to T6 because they needed the gate space (and were using the occasional 777).

Around Sept. 11th there was still NRT and they even tried a HKG non-stop for a short time.

I would love to see UA add at least one LHR (there are no JFK-LHR Star Alliance flights which is shocking) and maybe IAH and DEN.

Now that US is leaving Star I think that these routes make sense especially the IAH because they are losing access to US's PHX hub.

IAD is more than capable of taking on the CLT hub but I would strongly suggest a larger RJ...the 170 or 190 would be nice and likely more reliable than the CRJ-200's that are currently on the route.

Yes, I understand the EWR fortress but JFK can be a nice compliment and give people options.

JH

apodino

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Quoting jayhup (Reply 57):

I would love to see UA add at least one LHR (there are no JFK-LHR Star Alliance flights which is shocking) and maybe IAH and DEN.

Now that US is leaving Star I think that these routes make sense especially the IAH because they are losing access to US's PHX hub.

IAD is more than capable of taking on the CLT hub but I would strongly suggest a larger RJ...the 170 or 190 would be nice and likely more reliable than the CRJ-200's that are currently on the route.

Yes, I understand the EWR fortress but JFK can be a nice compliment and give people options.

Star Alliance is not particularly strong at LHR. Their strength in Europe clearly lies at FRA, and the alliance as a whole is much stronger in Asia than in Europe. I honestly don't see what they would gain trying JFK-LHR against two joint alliances (BA-AA, and VS-DL), where they are likely to be cleaned, not to mention taking traffic away from their own hub at EWR (I am kind of surprised SQ pulled out for the same reason) and gaining very little in the process. Clearly, the big Star Alliance hub in NYC is EWR, and the other two at JFK. Not saying one is better than the other, but its all the same market in the end.

As for the other places you mention. DEN is a place I think they could try, just to keep a little pressure on B6 in this market. IAH is another place I think could work, but one thing that may be scary is that DL has tried the Houston market at both IAH and HOU, and they haven't seemed to be able to make it work. As for IAD, I think some upgauges would be good here, but unfortunately with the glut of 50 seaters in the UA fleet at the moment, IAD is the type of hub that gets a disproportionate number of them.

Viscount724

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 58):
Star Alliance is not particularly strong at LHR.

22 of 28 Star Alliance members serve LHR. Can't be many airports with a higher percentage. At a quick check, LHR even has one more Star carrier than FRA. Even without a Star member with a hub at LHR, there are many potential connections among those 22 Star carriers.

[Edited 2013-12-16 14:21:34]

jayhup

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:29 pm

I honestly don't see what they would gain trying JFK-LHR against two joint alliances (BA-AA, and VS-DL), where they are likely to be cleaned, not to mention taking traffic away from their own hub at EWR (I am kind of surprised SQ pulled out for the same reason) and gaining very little in the process. Clearly, the big Star Alliance hub in NYC is EWR, and the other two at JFK. Not saying one is better than the other, but its all the same market in the end.

If BA and Virgin can manage to serve JFK and EWR then there should be room for UA at JFK. To me this is strictly O&D and not tied into any Star connections ex-LHR. It wouldn't be taking away from EWR because you have Brooklyn, Queens and all of Nassau and Suffolk counties to draw from. Even Connecticut can be served from JFK. Have you ever tried to drive from east of Manhattan to EWR at rush hour? As bad as the Van Wycke is the trip to EWR can be MUCH worse. Also...it is easier to get to JFK from Brooklyn/Queens/Long Island via LIRR or subway/Air Train than it is EWR. That is three trains...subway or LIRR to NY Penn, NJT to EWR and then the monorail around EWR.

As for IAH...my thinking is that it could connect to the Caribbean and South America. It is a longer flight than ATL or MIA but if the fares are right people will be willing to do it.

JH

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Star Alliance is not particularly strong at LHR.

Just last week at the Star CEO's meeting in Vienna they had a presentation as the strength they are seeing at LHR and how the alliance holds 23% of the seats, but generated something over 30% of the airports revenue.

They even picked London as the site of their next CEO conference, quite an interesting selection as they have no "home" carrier there with departure of BMI. I dont recall ever them having a conference at a non Star hub city.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

apodino

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:51 pm

Quoting jayhup (Reply 60):

If BA and Virgin can manage to serve JFK and EWR then there should be room for UA at JFK. To me this is strictly O&D and not tied into any Star connections ex-LHR. It wouldn't be taking away from EWR because you have Brooklyn, Queens and all of Nassau and Suffolk counties to draw from. Even Connecticut can be served from JFK. Have you ever tried to drive from east of Manhattan to EWR at rush hour? As bad as the Van Wycke is the trip to EWR can be MUCH worse. Also...it is easier to get to JFK from Brooklyn/Queens/Long Island via LIRR or subway/Air Train than it is EWR. That is three trains...subway or LIRR to NY Penn, NJT to EWR and then the monorail around EWR.

There is a huge difference between VS and BA flying EWR-LHR and UA trying LHR-JFK. For one thing, LHR is BA's biggest hub, and they funnel a lot of connections through LHR, so serving both JFK and EWR from their makes sense as they have the traffic to do so. LHR is also Virgin Atlantic's biggest hub, and from it's infancy the airline has always been O and D centered, as this is its business model. Because of their strong client base in London at that end of the route, they can make EWR work as well as JFK because there is less LHR-EWR service than JFK.

UA on the other hand, cannot feed connections at either end of the route real well, so the route would be almost totally O and D. They would have to use an existing slot to run LHR from JFK and I don't see where this would come from, since they aren't going to pull it from any existing hub. The O and D for the route would have to rely on existing corporate contracts inside NYC. Given that UA's big presence in NYC is at EWR and both AA and DL's are at LGA and JFK, if a company feels that EWR is more convenient for their travel needs, they are most likely to give the contract to UA. But if they need LGA and JFK more for travel needs, then those corporate contracts are going to go to either AA or DL. Which means quite frankly that most of the corporate travel contracts involving companies based in Queen's, Manhattan, or LI are not going to UA in any event. So there is no way UA could expect to pick up most of that O and D in any event.

The other issue is frequency. There is no way that UA with 1X daily from JFK is going to work when you are up against the amount of frequency that both BA/AA and DL/VS already have on the route.

So sorry, JFK-LHR is not going to work with UA and they would be foolish to even attempt it. There is no way they are going to waste an LHR slot and a 763 (which is honestly the only AC that I think UA could make work on such a route), on a route between two non hub cities especially when the US airport is one where they have a very small presence at to begin with. To even compare BA and VS at EWR to UA at JFK is a bad apples to rotten oranges comparison.

cle757

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:01 am

United's Jeff Smisek

Judging by the numbers, Jeff Smisek of United Continental Holdings (UAL) should not be on this list. United's shares are up around 60% this year, almost triple the S&P 500, and its revenue growth appears to be in a propeller-driven DC-3 like ascent (which is better than none at all.)

Yet, in the years I've been doing this list I've never had a write-in campaign quite like this one -- pleading that Smisek be named the year's worst CEO.

After reading the hundreds (and I do mean hundreds) of emails from employees and customers, and talking with airline executives, analysts and industry watchers, it's very clear something is very wrong at United.

Customers complain about an inferior product, such as little in the way of wi-fi on most planes; inconsistency of in-flight TV, even on new planes; crowded and outdated lounges; surly employees and a devaluation of frequent-flier miles. Employees and customers from both legacy United and Continental, gripe about poor morale.

And they all point fingers at the same person: Smisek, formerly of Continental, who is widely regarded as the pilot of what has become among the industry's most turbulent mergers.

Airline mergers historically have gone poorly, but that changed with Delta's (DAL) acquisition of Northwest, which by all standards is considered the new gold standard of success.

The difference, those in the industry say, boils down to leadership. Delta CEO Richard Anderson, as the story goes, made it clear from the start that Northwest would merge into Delta.

Smisek, an attorney, tried to please both sides. The result, for United, has been confusion and chaos.

Even three years after the deal was completed, the company is trying to work out contracts and other kinks associated with the merger.

Here's what I know: I should not be hearing from that many employees and customers. I have a baseline and this is way off it. And while that's an intangible, if your employees and customers aren't happy, no matter what the industry, your numbers are at risk.

Investors, in large part, are looking at it differently -- assuming as a laggard it can do nothing but improve. And maybe it can, but as bearish analyst Jamie Baker of J.P. Morgan recently wrote in a report: We're all for trying harder and agree that prior underperformance can lead to pretty easy future comps. But execution about-faces are comparatively rare, which is why we remain surprised by the market's warm embrace despite heavy lifting ahead.

With that as a backdrop, Smisek would certainly rank among the least popular CEOs. And despite the company's financial performance, it still lags the group, which would make him among if not the worst airline CEOs this year.

But in the broader corporate world, as long as United's stock and other metrics are going in the right direction, I can't name him among the worst of all CEOs. Whatever happens this year could be the tipping point.

P.S.: As a longtime United frequent flier, bouncing between San Diego and Newark every month, I don't really see any difference pre-or-post merger in the friendliness of cabin or gate personnel. Some are friendly, some aren't. It has always been that way. The real question I have is whether Smisek has ever eaten what passes for eggs and sausage in domestic first class. My guess, he hasn't. (I usually opt for the Honey Nut Cheerios. Honey Nut Cheerios? Yep, pretty much says it all.)
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

drerx7

Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:13 am

Quoting jayhup (Reply 60):
As for IAH...my thinking is that it could connect to the Caribbean and South America. It is a longer flight than ATL or MIA but if the fares are right people will be willing to do it.

Iah-jfk has been tried several times with no luck. CO and DL tried it. Maybe UA this time with E70s.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:35 am

I note analyst updated their Q4 profit/loss projections for the majors.

AA - $154.4mil
DL - $438.6mil
UA - $32.4mil
WN - $184.8mil

Looks like Smisek will have to tap dance with excuses for analyst yet another quarter.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

koruman

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 am

It is a richly deserved result which reflects accurately on a frighteningly incompetent executive team.

There are two reasons - and only two - why United is in a deceptively adequate financial position ( which shows why short-term stock rises are a terrible metric for company strength, by the way).

1. Legacy competition has fallen from 6 to 4 and about to be 3, and this anti-competitive quasi-monopoly situation bloats company stock artificially.
2. United's recent bankruptcy allowed it to renege on employee entitlements to allow it to artificially cut costs: in 2005 it committed the biggest pension default in US history.

As a result, to say that it is a well-managed sustainable business is rather like saying that someone hasn't raped anyone since 2005 and is therefore a model of good etiquette. It is utterly absurd.

Ultimately civil aviation is a service industry, and as such when your own customers hate you you have all the evidence you need that management is failing.

jetblastdubai

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:00 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 46):
(I am not saying the fees are going away or should, I am just saying the fees will be added profit in addition to the profit the operation would make without them)

I think that the advantage of using the added fees instead of simply tacking on $$ to the price of the ticket to cover their costs is that the fees are not taxed, or at least not taxed to the same extent as the ticket price.

If an airline added $50 to the ticket price and charged no additional fees for anything, the govt. would take a portion of that increase instead of allowing the airline to put all of those funds back into the company. This could be used for cabin upgrades, newer aircraft, better meals or even benefits to employees. Once the govt. gets their hands on a revenue source, those funds are gone forever and the airline can't use it for anything.

My personal observation (being a 1K, million-miler) it's not the aircraft, lack of AVOD, terminals or the food selection that turn paying customers away but instead the perception that SOME of the front line employees lack good customer service skills and generally have crappy attitudes. I know some of you will give the excuse that the employees have been beaten up (figuratively) over the years and they have no incentive to do any more than the minimum for their compensation. Like a lot of the country, many people have been hit hard financially over the years and many of those have completely lost their jobs instead of reduced pay/benefits.

If you're given a lemon, make lemonade but stop taking out your frustrations on the people that directly contribute to your company's ability to succeed. As long as there is choice, customers will choose with their wallets.

I was a union member for years and I can attest to the fact that it's much harder for an employer to discipline or remove union members for performance issues. I know it's the union's job to protect the careers of every member, including the 'under-performers', but it gets to the point where the bad apples drag down the entire organization.

brilondon

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 71):
I was a union member for years and I can attest to the fact that it's much harder for an employer to discipline or remove union members for performance issues. I know it's the union's job to protect the careers of every member, including the 'under-performers', but it gets to the point where the bad apples drag down the entire organization.

The Unions are a business and by collecting dues is the way they make money so of course they are going to fight tooth and nail for the jobs. They don't give a rats rear end about individuals as long as they get their money in the end. They want your money but not you. They tell you what to think and how to think. Simisek is not totally incompetent but he is close. I am flying on his airline now but only because DL dropped my hometown about three years ago and have the choice of UA, AC, or WS to fly home. I prefer WS, except it takes too long for what I have to pay and AC is good except they don't operate daily to HNL. I don't hold CNBC as an informative what ever it is but they do have some good points. I think they just are like all the other networks and are looking for ratings. That is there business.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

b747400erf

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 10):
Employees are rarely the best judge of a CEO's performance.

This doesn't make sense. If they aren't then who is? A shareholder? A customer? An employee knows more behind the scenes that would allow them to make such a decision, they have more information and knowledge of the company than anyone on the outside.

apodino

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:12 pm

My personal observation (being a 1K, million-miler) it's not the aircraft, lack of AVOD, terminals or the food selection that turn paying customers away but instead the perception that SOME of the front line employees lack good customer service skills and generally have crappy attitudes. I know some of you will give the excuse that the employees have been beaten up (figuratively) over the years and they have no incentive to do any more than the minimum for their compensation. Like a lot of the country, many people have been hit hard financially over the years and many of those have completely lost their jobs instead of reduced pay/benefits.

If you're given a lemon, make lemonade but stop taking out your frustrations on the people that directly contribute to your company's ability to succeed. As long as there is choice, customers will choose with their wallets.

You said it best. I have seen way too many examples of guys who should not have jobs at one regional but do because of union protection, and a management that fears going up against the unions (while trying to extract concessions from them of course)

dennis2380

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:23 pm

I would agree smisek needs to be replaced. He's nothing but a lawyer.But the sub united management needs to go,I see it firsthand.united its aircraft are in such bad condition.Their management is so hated by their employees.It shows every day their pilots will refuse airplanes for legal mels.Just to get at the management.

jetblastdubai

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:44 pm

Quoting apodino (Reply 46):
(I am not saying the fees are going away or should, I am just saying the fees will be added profit in addition to the profit the operation would make without them)

I think that the advantage of using the added fees instead of simply tacking on $$ to the price of the ticket to cover their costs is that the fees are not taxed, or at least not taxed to the same extent as the ticket price.

I spoke too soon!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/airlin...face-possible-u-tax-122405434.html

ikramerica

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 3):
Smisek is ex-CO. They need leadership in the mold of Delta's, and they need it badly.

Smisuck was long time CO but not an airplane guy. His background is lawyer/bean counter and you don't want that kind of person running a customer service company.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

blueflyer

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 77):
If they aren't then who is?

Usually an independent board of directors. Absent that, a less-independent board of directors.

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 77):
An employee knows more behind the scenes that would allow them to make such a decision, they have more information and knowledge of the company than anyone on the outside.

For one thing, employees and CEOs generally do not share the same values, purpose and goals. That difference alone creates the very significant risk that employees would rate CEOs according to metrics that are not first and foremost in ranking the effectiveness of a CEO.

For another, unless you are talking about small businesses or about somehow pooling the individual knowledge of each employee, employees may have a good understanding of their department (if that), but rarely have a good understanding of other departments and functional areas they have little to no interaction with.

How many flight attendants can tell you whether their maintenance profit center is profitable? How many marketing department employees know whether the pilots are more or less productive than their peers at other carriers? Do pilots even know how to measure the efficiency of their marketing department?

Take any other industry and there will be similar questions that employees cannot answer but that very much are part and parcel of the CEO's duties.

AADC10

Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:55 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 81):
Smisuck was long time CO but not an airplane guy. His background is lawyer/bean counter and you don't want that kind of person running a customer service company.

Everything has been optimized to please Wall Street, not passengers. UA has bad customer facing service because they have almost no training in treating passengers. Customer Service are trained on how to use SHARES and FAs are trained for safety but almost nothing on handling people. UA does not want to spend money on service because Wall Street does not think there is any ROI there.

hiflyer

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 am

uhhh Tyler...Fastair and Apollo are the same....Fastair was a GUI screen scraper of Apollo. Shares was res only...Codacom was like Unimatic...f12 to another system. Shares has proven to be quite difficult to build on....the apps developed and the Aero platform built on it are flawed and in some cases useless for day to day still. The new freight system fails....along with countess other new systems bought in the last two years in failing attempts which is making coordination between them extremely difficult.

tyler81190

Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:33 am

Quoting hiflyer (Reply 88):
uhhh Tyler...Fastair and Apollo are the same....Fastair was a GUI screen scraper of Apollo. Shares was res only...Codacom was like Unimatic...f12 to another system. Shares has proven to be quite difficult to build on....the apps developed and the Aero platform built on it are flawed and in some cases useless for day to day still. The new freight system fails....along with countess other new systems bought in the last two years in failing attempts which is making coordination between them extremely difficult.

I know CODACOM is another system, but it is accessed within the same screen, just as CARGOTRAC was. Cargo 360 I believe came from Emirates, and is not built on SHARES, CARGOTRAC, or Unimatic.

AERO is a horribly designed GUI. Even DL with their "SNAP" GUI doesn't work as well as the native application. There is simply no easy way to include all the functionality of the native application in a GUI without having 50 menus.

As for Fastair, it is a GUI, but yet again, it is a stand alone application, just like AERO, though it does run on Apollo.

Honestly, I think Apollo would have been just as bad of a change over "meltdown" as SHARES was. Clearly the IT department was not on top of their game, and again, UA would still be looking for something new.

From what I hear out of IT, AERO should get better when they move it to another set of servers, making it faster and more reliable, but the lack of options is really off-putting, it will not even INVOL a ticket to another airline!

AA94

Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:53 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 67):

There is nothing worse than alienating the people who ensure that you remain gainfully employed.

klwright69

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:00 pm

CO tried IAH-JFK many times, too many to count actually. They also ran JFK-CLE on express.

At one time CO had 4 daily round trips on IAH-JFK.

Loads were fine but yields were trash. Lots on interline connections to all the international airlines at JFK.

I would love to see UA everywhere, back on SEA-NRT, DEN-LHR, and JFK-LHR.

But this is not the world we live in.

UA back on JFK-LHR would be a costly investment of resources with very limited return I am afraid.

Even back in the 90's AA and UA both ran service to LHR from both EWR and JFK for a time. Eventually they both threw in the towel on EWR.

WesternA318

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 69):
This doesn't make sense. If they aren't then who is? A shareholder? A customer? An employee knows more behind the scenes that would allow them to make such a decision, they have more information and knowledge of the company than anyone on the outside.

Anyone on the Board of Directors who looks at the performance of the CEO. They are some of the best (and worst) judges on Earth.

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 79):
CO tried IAH-JFK many times, too many to count actually. They also ran JFK-CLE on express.

At one time CO had 4 daily round trips on IAH-JFK.

Loads were fine but yields were trash. Lots on interline connections to all the international airlines at JFK.

I would love to see UA everywhere, back on SEA-NRT, DEN-LHR, and JFK-LHR.

But this is not the world we live in.

UA back on JFK-LHR would be a costly investment of resources with very limited return I am afraid.

Even back in the 90's AA and UA both ran service to LHR from both EWR and JFK for a time. Eventually they both threw in the towel on EWR.

I remember taking this flight quite abit back in 2005 (I lived in Queens at the time), instead of making the trek to EWR...until I found they had a 772 departure 2x a day...then the trek became worth it...  

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos